Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2013, 02:05   #16156
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Windows is probably the only mobile OS to offer true multitasking. Lumias aren't exactly in vogue, however they aren' bad too. My boss had a 920 and after accidentally writing it off she got another Lumia. Also I haven't yet come across any evidence that they are bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I would say the Lumia series is a good effort by Nokia. Definitely looking at it.
If you want to remain in Android, you may also want to look at Xperia series. Z/ZL/ZR etc.
How is the HTC one? The looks are really refreshing after using Samsung for 2 years. I am only apprehensive about its built quality and if it would last for 2 years atleast.
Old 2nd September 2013, 07:24   #16157
Senior - BHPian

I have a Windows 6.1 phone from HTC. Bought it like five years back. The touch svreen had to be replaced once, but othwrwise it's still going strong. I don't use it much, but whenever I fire it up it works.
Old 2nd September 2013, 07:48   #16158
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
How is the HTC one? The looks are really refreshing after using Samsung for 2 years. I am only apprehensive about its built quality and if it would last for 2 years atleast.
I have not used the HTC One, but by the look and feel, it looks like a very well built number with the aluminum body, especially when compared with the plastic body of Samsung phones. I bought the Samsung Note 2 for my wife (her preference), but if it was for me I would have surely bought the One.
Longevity should not be a problem. We have a HTC HD7 windows phone (as a backup phone), and it’s still going strong after 3 years of usage.
Old 2nd September 2013, 08:06   #16159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am using a HTC and I would like to share this piece of information with you. The last time I visited a service centre I was told that they send all their phones to Bangalore for repairs. This takes a minimum of 20 days. After hearing this I was so put off I decided to use my phone with the faulty power . This was in April. HTC phones are good but if u look at it this way they don't really have any service centre in India except Bangalore.

P.S The phone is pretty hardy though. It has experienced some harsh falls but still its going strong.

Last edited by Pancham : 2nd September 2013 at 08:08.
Old 2nd September 2013, 08:10   #16160
Senior - BHPian

When I replaced my touch screen I took it to Borivali where they had a srervice centre. The whole job took just a few days.
When I visited the Samsung service centre in our town I saw engineers working on repairs in the room behind the reception desk.

It's inconceivable in today's age a company like HTC does not have local repair centres.
Old 2nd September 2013, 08:32   #16161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When I replaced my touch screen I took it to Borivali where they had a srervice centre. The whole job took just a few days.
When I visited the Samsung service centre in our town I saw engineers working on repairs in the room behind the reception desk.

It's inconceivable in today's age a company like HTC does not have local repair centres.
It is the truth. I even called their helpline and they said that is the case although they quoted a lesser time.
Old 2nd September 2013, 09:10   #16162
BANNED

Quote:
I have been using htc phones for over five years. Excellent build quality - much better than Samsung. The only catch is the ringer buzzer does tend to conk out (two cases). An easy fix through your local mobile wallah. I bought a One X a fortnight ago. It had to be a grey unit, since I need CDMA (Reliance). Excellent build quality (even better than my previous Incredible 2). Also, now htc allows you to 'officially' unlock the bootloader. Very easy to root -- unlock, install twrp recovery, which allows you to install a super user app. (installs the installer). Very easy! htc Sense is out of this world.

Last edited by sgiitk : 2nd September 2013 at 09:11.
Old 2nd September 2013, 09:32   #16163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
He had told me that it will be ready by Monday if its a small problem.
Heard nothing from him till yesterday and today called him up and he said its still unsolved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Is the "Home" key option in S-voice enabled. Just check, S-voice - settings? I suspect it since the voice commands are activated randomly. If this option is enabled, a double press on your home key will result in activating S voice. Now if the home key is shot, this might happen. Also, phone shows charging on its on leads to some issues with your USB port.
Got a call on thursday evening that the phone is ready and I took my phone back on Friday evening.
bhp_maniac, you were right, the micro-usb female port was the problem...it was replaced.
There was another component named sub-PAB (I don't know what exactly that is) that was also replaced.
When I got my phone, he took the repair acknowledgement from me and others, went inside and brought back three Notes together and guess what all three had the same problem

The problem has not surfaced again till now.
Old 2nd September 2013, 10:21   #16164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
I am using a HTC and I would like to share this piece of information with you. The last time I visited a service centre I was told that they send all their phones to Bangalore for repairs. This takes a minimum of 20 days. After hearing this I was so put off I decided to use my phone with the faulty power . This was in April. HTC phones are good but if u look at it this way they don't really have any service centre in India except Bangalore.

P.S The phone is pretty hardy though. It has experienced some harsh falls but still its going strong.
http://www.htc.com/in/support/service-center.html

seems they do have a lot of joints for walk in repairs and even more which act as collection points. which center did you go to?

The one is good. As my first Android device after 4yrs of BB, it is a joy to behold

3D games tend to heat up the phone in a few minutes though. Battery is good with 3G, wifi and BT always on. Location services turned off of course. Using an otterbox commuter series cover for it. Makes it look fugly but hey its worth it for the protection it offers
Old 2nd September 2013, 10:34   #16165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post

http://www.htc.com/in/support/service-center.html

seems they do have a lot of joints for walk in repairs and even more which act as collection points. which center did you go to?

The one is good. As my first Android device after 4yrs of BB, it is a joy to behold

3D games tend to heat up the phone in a few minutes though. Battery is good with 3G, wifi and BT always on. Location services turned off of course. Using an otterbox commuter series cover for it. Makes it look fugly but hey its worth it for the protection it offers
I went to the Manicktala service center.
Old 2nd September 2013, 15:58   #16166
BHPian

Iam planning to buy Nexus4 from Aus. I have two ques and hope bhpns would be kind enough to clarify

1) Do lg service Nexus in India?
2) How much customs charges for imported mobile phones?

Thanks in advance.
Old 2nd September 2013, 16:42   #16167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Iam planning to buy Nexus4 from Aus. I have two ques and hope bhpns would be kind enough to clarify

2) How much customs charges for imported mobile phones?

Thanks in advance.
Hey,

I dont think LG would service Nexus phones brought from abroad. Not sure about their status with Indian purchased phones.

You don't need to worry about customs charges etc if you are carrying it with yourself. I got my LG 4X HD from Australia last year and was not asked anything about it. I am not sure on duty calculations if you are planning to get the phone shipped from there.

Regards,
Old 2nd September 2013, 17:42   #16168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Windows is probably the only mobile OS to offer true multitasking. .
Well they also offer some multitasking but definitely they are not the only one , in fact windows is late to the party Androids offers true multitasking since ages and few Android phones such as Samsung offer multi-windowing as well.
Old 2nd September 2013, 17:55   #16169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post

Well they also offer some multitasking but definitely they are not the only one , in fact windows is late to the party Androids offers true multitasking since ages and few Android phones such as Samsung offer multi-windowing as well.
No kidding. The activities are put on hold if phone is on standby. That's not true multitasking.
Old 2nd September 2013, 17:57   #16170
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
My friend broke the touch screen of his US bought Nexus4. LG India promptly replaced it, at a charge of course.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks