Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2013, 23:47   #16216
Senior - BHPian

Needed an Android Phone under 20K.

I want to buy a Phone under 20K (non-negotiable) which should have following features (Not In That Particular Order)--

1) 5" IPS Capacitive Display( 4.5" will do if no better option). It should be atleast HD 1280 x 720 (Though FHD would be Better).
2) Minimum 1GB RAM. Current Sony Ericsson Xperia x10i freezes more often (512MB RAM).
3) Good Loudspeaker. (Xperia x10i's Loudspeaker is not much better as compared to its Internal Speaker).
4) No. of Sims does not matter (Dual Sim Dual Standby would be Better option since it would offer more VFM)
5) Minimum 8GB Internal Memory (16 GB or more would be Better)
6) Removable Battery.
7) Battery Backup should be Better. It should last 2-3 days with 24Hrs "Data Enabled" (12-15 Hrs on "WiFi Enabled"). Cannot specify the exact Capacity since it would vary according to the Display Size, Processor Management, etc.
8) Primary Camera should be able to click Good Quality Pictures (even in Low Light). Should have Genuine BSI Sensor (since I have read that BSI helps in catching better outdoor pictures in low-light). Some phones have BSI Sensor but only for namesake purpose.
9) Secondary Camera should also have Good Capturing Capability.
10) Cannot Comment on Sensors since I have not used any of them personally.
11) FM.
12) Reliability and Quality. (No matter what the brand is except Samsung. See Below).

Samsung is a Big No-No. No offense meant towards Samsung Owners.
I have used Samsung WP 6.5 B-7300 and S-5200.
7300 Phone used to Hang every now and then. I have to Soft Reset the phone using a Pin or Pen every now and then. Even the Service Center could not solve the problem even though I gave it to them 3-4 times under warranty period.
5200- My wife has it (or should I say had it since the phone is lying idle currently). The Display has paralysed. When the Slider is OFF (closed), the Phone "can be used". But when the Slider is ON (opened), the Display freezes or dots appear on the screen. If in this situation (display freeze or dots appearing), the Slider is closed, the display is back to normal.
Old 9th September 2013, 00:05   #16217
Senior - BHPian

Re: Needed an Android Phone under 20K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
I want to buy a Phone under 20K (non-negotiable) which should have following features (Not In That Particular Order)--

1) 5" IPS Capacitive Display( 4.5" will do if no better option). It should be atleast HD 1280 x 720 (Though FHD would be Better).
2) Minimum 1GB RAM. Current Sony Ericsson Xperia x10i freezes more often (512MB RAM).
3) Good Loudspeaker. (Xperia x10i's Loudspeaker is not much better as compared to its Internal Speaker).
4) No. of Sims does not matter (Dual Sim Dual Standby would be Better option since it would offer more VFM)
6) Removable Battery.
7) Battery Backup should be Better. It should last 2-3 days with 24Hrs "Data Enabled" (12-15 Hrs on "WiFi Enabled"). Cannot specify the exact Capacity since it would vary according to the Display Size, Processor Management, etc.
8) Primary Camera should be able to click Good Quality Pictures (even in Low Light). Should have Genuine BSI Sensor (since I have read that BSI helps in catching better outdoor pictures in low-light). Some phones have BSI Sensor but only for namesake purpose.
11) FM.
12) Reliability and Quality. (No matter what the brand is except Samsung. See Below).

7300 Phone used to Hang every now and then. I have to Soft Reset the phone using a Pin or Pen every now and then. Even the Service Center could not solve the problem even though I gave it to them 3-4 times under warranty period.
5200- My wife has it (or should I say had it since the phone is lying idle currently). The Display has paralysed. When the Slider is OFF (closed), the Phone "can be used". But when the Slider is ON (opened), the Display freezes or dots appear on the screen. If in this situation (display freeze or dots appearing), the Slider is closed, the display is back to normal.
You are asking a lot for 20k.

Though you can find phones from MicroMax, Lava with HD/FHD screens under 20k none of them will last even a day. Rather there are hardly any smart phone that can go 2 days. It all depends upon the usage.
Old 9th September 2013, 04:15   #16218
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar2007 View Post
Yup, I think so too. Connecting to a higher rated charger should not damage the device, but connecting to a charger rated lower than what a device draws could. Or, so I think.
Thanks.

Connecting a high-drawing device could, I suggest, cause the charger to overheat. I know I have set fire to a couple of wall sockets by drawing too much power from them --- which is the same thing scaled up a lot.

By the way, for charging in the car I use a curly-whirly-springy cable. It leads up to the phone in its holder on the dashboard. The right angle pull at the phone-end plug was destroying it. I had to make a right-angle bend from Sugru

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 9th September 2013 at 04:16.
Old 9th September 2013, 07:13   #16219
BHPian

Quote:

6) Removable Battery.
11) FM.

The only phone which comes close to your requirements is the Lenovo P780. Except for points 5 and 6. But then this is as close as you can get.
Old 9th September 2013, 08:14   #16220
BHPian

Quote:

6) Removable Battery.
11) FM.

This is too much ask for under 20K Especially the camera and the 2-3 days back up part. You should push the budget I guess.

Last edited by bhp_maniac : 9th September 2013 at 08:44.
Old 9th September 2013, 10:50   #16221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

6) Removable Battery.
11) FM.

Check out Panasonic P51

5) - P51 has 2 GB.
7) - Don't think there's any smartphone with 5" screen that would last for 2 ~3 days.
Old 10th September 2013, 20:40   #16222
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Check out Panasonic P51

5) - P51 has 2 GB.
7) - Don't think there's any smartphone with 5" screen that would last for 2 ~3 days.
Incidentally , I came to know that Panasonic is pulling out of Mobile phones business worldwide. Some more details here:
http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news...sewhere-414393

On the second point, I did come across two options:
Lenovo P780, with 5 in screen and 4000 Mah battery. I recently saw this deal on snapdeal, which is a mouthwatering price (rs 16160), but makes me think - could there be a catch? Any first hand users of P780 who can share their experiences?
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/leno...ile/1675335407

The second phone , though a bit expensive, but also has very good reviews is the Huawei Ascend Mate. This was available for 23,500 on the same site, but it is sold out now.

Any users of the above phones, please do share your experiences!

Thanks!
Old 11th September 2013, 10:39   #16223
Senior - BHPian

Got my wife the Lenovo s890. had 1gb ram which was nice. good phone. no lag. the pre installed interface sucks but that was quickly rectified.
Old 12th September 2013, 14:28   #16224
Senior - BHPian

Required Non-Samsung Android Phone.

@abhibh, mrohit17, bhp_maniac, kpzen, behemoth..

By how much would I have to stretch my budget?

5) Clarification on Internal Memory Part--
I want Internal Memory to be of 8GB Minimum since Jelly Bean does not allow to move Apps to SD Card (or am I missing out something?).

7) Clarification on Removable Battery Part-
I need a Phone with Removable Battery so that I would not have to give it the ASC for replacing battery. I hate to hand over phone to the ASCs even for a small glitch for-
a) They take their own sweet time to solve the problem. There is no guarantee that the problem will get solved.
b) There is no guarantee how the phone will be handled at ASCs (I have read on the Online Shopping Websites User Reviews that the ASCs don't handle the phone carefully and treat it as if its their own property).

Please suggest the Brands/Models which would seldom give any problem.

EDIT: -
Also I forgot to mention two more requirements-- Flash for Camera and Scratch-Resistance Glass (and if possible should not break if the phone accidentally falls from a height of 2-3 feet).

I would like to keep this phone for at least 3 years.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 12th September 2013 at 14:55. Reason: As above
Old 12th September 2013, 17:39   #16225
BHPian

Quote:

Also I forgot to mention two more requirements-- Flash for Camera and Scratch-Resistance Glass (and if possible should not break if the phone accidentally falls from a height of 2-3 feet).

Omg. 20K budget and so much. I am feeling it is like asking for a luxury sedan with the budget of a lower segment hatch back.! No offense meant. But- don't you think it is too much to ask for 20K?
Old 12th September 2013, 18:07   #16226
Team-BHP Support

Silly question.

Is is possible to purchase the OEM stock battery cover for an S3? If yes, how much does it cost? I've only seen cheap replicas in the market.

I'm not much of a 'cases & bumpers' person (beats the purpose of having a slim phone), but this one is a bit flimsy and scratches easily.

If they're readily available and reasonably priced, I'm thinking of getting a couple of spares and not bother with cases at all.
Old 12th September 2013, 20:59   #16227
BHPian

Re: Required Non-Samsung Android Phone.

Quote:
@abhibh, mrohit17, bhp_maniac, kpzen, behemoth..

By how much would I have to stretch my budget?

5) Clarification on Internal Memory Part--
I want Internal Memory to be of 8GB Minimum since Jelly Bean does not allow to move Apps to SD Card (or am I missing out something?).

7) Clarification on Removable Battery Part-
I need a Phone with Removable Battery so that I would not have to give it the ASC for replacing battery. I hate to hand over phone to the ASCs even for a small glitch for-
a) They take their own sweet time to solve the problem. There is no guarantee that the problem will get solved.
b) There is no guarantee how the phone will be handled at ASCs (I have read on the Online Shopping Websites User Reviews that the ASCs don't handle the phone carefully and treat it as if its their own property).

Please suggest the Brands/Models which would seldom give any problem.

Let us know when you find such a phone . Happy hunting.
Old 12th September 2013, 22:48   #16228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi
Let us know when you find such a phone . Happy hunting.
Sir, i.e. what we are here to discuss.

@all..
How are the following phones-
1) iBall 4.7 G Cobalt (Downside 400gms weight, 4.7" Screen)- Is the Total Screen Size (From corner to corner diagonally) 4.7" or the display size is 4.7"? Battery is 2200mAh, And display is 4.7". So how's the battery backup?

2) Karbonn S9- Battery is big 2600mAh for 5.5" Screen. Does this phone give good backup with such battery?

3) Spice Pinnacle FHD 525- Is there Expandable Memory option in case of this phone?
What is battery backup for this phone?
How are the reports for above three phones?
Old 13th September 2013, 06:23   #16229
BHPian

Quote:
Sir, i.e. what we are here to discuss.

@all..
How are the following phones-
1) iBall 4.7 G Cobalt (Downside 400gms weight, 4.7" Screen)- Is the Total Screen Size (From corner to corner diagonally) 4.7" or the display size is 4.7"? Battery is 2200mAh, And display is 4.7". So how's the battery backup?

2) Karbonn S9- Battery is big 2600mAh for 5.5" Screen. Does this phone give good backup with such battery?

3) Spice Pinnacle FHD 525- Is there Expandable Memory option in case of this phone?
What is battery backup for this phone?
How are the reports for above three phones?
At around 20K, I would suggest you get the Samsung S3. I have seen a No No for Samsung from you. But all the issues you faced were related to software and S3 is one good device around 25K. If camera was not a priority, I would've suggested Nexus 4. Since you intend to keep it for 3 years, I think it make sense to go for a reputed brand.
Old 13th September 2013, 13:54   #16230
BHPian

Quote:

6) Removable Battery.
11) FM.

Get Nexus 4 from US, it is available for $199 now!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks