Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2013, 12:32   #16306
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Actually I am planning to get it from Dubai. As you said both are similar but still which one is better.
Ace3 also has a dual SIM variant and LTE variant. If you need any of these features, opt for Ace3.

S3 mini comes with super AMOLED display. If you have liking for this, opt for S3 mini.

Also check the amount of internal memory in each model. This is market specific.

If the cost difference is not much, I would opt for Ace3 for the simple reason that it is newer model.

Rohan
Old 18th September 2013, 14:08   #16307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I use Aldiko and I can do that ....you cannot use copy paste everywhere. For example facebook does now allow copy paste of text
Thank you for the link - this seems to be a good alternative. Will try this out for sure.
Old 18th September 2013, 14:47   #16308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I do not use internet or search facilities on the mobile very much, but last time I did, I was shocked to see that Google search presented me with the last few search terms I had used on the computer.
On the desktop, my browsers are set to clear all cookies and temp internet files when I close the browser. There are only two exceptions to this - cookies from TBHP and another forum I am a member of for ~ 15 years. This ensures that I can't be tracked easily. Mind you, sophisticated trackers can still identify me from my system configuration (hw, os, browser & version), from my IP address, and from my browsing habits. I'm just making it a teeny weeny bit harder for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Perhaps I'll just join you in the hills, but we'll have to remember to turn off the location-sharing services before we leave.
Unfortunately, that day may not be too far off.

I am not on Facebook, Twitter, etc. Try to be as anonymous as I can.

Are you aware that Mr. Nilekani has written a white paper for the govt. where he has recommended that private companies collect Aadhar / UUID related data (transactions). He further recommends that the govt. and other private companies should purchase this data for their use (in sales / marketing and other nefarious activities - you fill in the blanks). I had a heart attack when I read this in the newspaper. Of all people, a luminary from the IT field, who should be sensitive to privacy and security of data instead advocating wholesale abuse of private personal data. Lost all my respect for the man right then. Needless to say I have not signed up for Aadhar (yet...).

Samurai, you and I are the only ones who've commented on this. The fact that nobody else has is the scariest part for me :(
Old 18th September 2013, 15:03   #16309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
......................He further recommends that the govt. and other private companies should purchase this data for their use (in sales / marketing and other nefarious activities - you fill in the blanks)................
What can be observed from this is a continuous trend to becoming more and more like USA. They have all these things in place. Companies are buying data from govt. and other sources. Infact the latest scam to getting information is these lucky draws in malls like reliance and petrol pumps. You'll win a "swift".Hahaha.
What you do win is a number of calls from pesky call centers. These guys sell info. Infact when we were getting a website built for a friend's company, we were told that we can get this data for a particular amount. Ranging from 1 lakh to up 20 lakhs for a list of 1 lakh high end consumers with proper working phone numbers and email id's. That is scary!!

Infact even these car showrooms sell customer information. I was really pissed off when an idiot called me telling me about different investment schemes and then ending it with the fact that I bought a so and so car on so and so date on so and so financial terms and I should investing in his finance schemes!!

Oh we've gone OT on that!!

Well coming back to Android phones and their tracking abilities, we still have certain control over the tracking. I have switched off all location services on the phone. I don't allow google or any other app to have access to my location. But then the day is not far when our stupid govt. makes it mandatory to track each and every individual in the name of law and order. Any thing goes in the name of law and order. And then the general public suffers!

Last edited by navpreet318 : 18th September 2013 at 15:05.
Old 18th September 2013, 15:30   #16310
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Why rusting? Even dirt collected can add to resistance. So it is not corrosion alone.

Then probably a shot of WD40/Zorrik should do the trick
Old 19th September 2013, 21:03   #16311
BHPian

I've installed the application "Applock" to prevent my daughter from installing new apps/games from playstore. I've restrcted the play store in the applock settings. When anyone tries to go to playstore, it asks the pin. But, I still see her installing games/apps. When I checked the tab ( Samsung tab 2), I didn't find the applock application itself. She might have un installed the applock application itself.

Now, the question is how did she uninstall the applock application itself when I restricted the same in the installation/uninstallation settings of applock ? Thanks.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 19th September 2013 at 21:05.
Old 19th September 2013, 21:09   #16312
BHPian

I got a Google Nexus 4 as a gift and in look out for a suitable case for it. Searched online and came across this- http://www.ebay.in/itm/Ringke-Fusion...item2582b99aaf. Any bhpns using this and any recommendations? Thanks in advance.
Old 19th September 2013, 22:13   #16313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I got a Google Nexus 4 as a gift and in look out for a suitable case for it. Searched online and came across this- http://www.ebay.in/itm/Ringke-Fusion...item2582b99aaf. Any bhpns using this and any recommendations? Thanks in advance.
Get original bumper and apply good screen guards.
Old 19th September 2013, 22:49   #16314
Senior - BHPian

HTC One X receives 4.2.2 + Sense 5.0 OTA

Just received OTA update on my HTC One X - Android 4.2.2 with Sense 5.0! Good job HTC!!

While Indian One X users are still waiting for the OTA, HTC started pushing the update to their European sold phones. (Mine is European, bought via ebay.in)

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20130919200832.png

Initial Impressions:

- Phone has become much much responsive and faster.
- Sense 5.0 looks good, feels good. Samsung Touchwiz will look primitive in front of new Sense versions. Touchwiz is nothing to write home about anyway
- Camera update with AE and AF locks. Loving it as a photographer
- Better lockscreen & unlocking
- Better dialer
- First time Sense feels as smooth as Stock Android. It was the case with some previous custom Sense ROMs like ARHD.

Last edited by clevermax : 19th September 2013 at 22:59.
Old 20th September 2013, 11:04   #16315
BHPian

Re: HTC One X receives 4.2.2 + Sense 5.0 OTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Just received OTA update on my HTC One X - Android 4.2.2 with Sense 5.0! Good job HTC!!

While Indian One X users are still waiting for the OTA, ...
Hey...I'm one of those waiting for this update in India. So I have a slightly weird question. Did you notice any difference to the call quality and volume from the ear piece? To put this in context, the ear piece volume on my one X has deteriorated significantly in this year, not sure if it happened because of the last update. I've owned it since about April last year.

I know the first thought, and probably be the case also, is that its a hardware issue but on generally reading through some places, there were others who reported that it could be an issue from 4.1.1 and that a change in ROM/Update fixed it. I've been waiting for this update hoping its a software issue because I really do not want to suffer the service center. Any observations from your experience?
Old 20th September 2013, 11:12   #16316
Senior - BHPian

Re: HTC One X receives 4.2.2 + Sense 5.0 OTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewhiteknight View Post
Hey...I'm one of those waiting for this update in India. So I have a slightly weird question. Did you notice any difference to the call quality and volume from the ear piece?
I received and made very few calls after the update but for all those calls, the call quality was very good, especially the volume and crispiness of speech at the ear piece. But I haven't had any notable issues with call quality and volume even with previous 4.1.1, so it is either the same or has some improvement.

The only time I struggle to listen to the speaker is when my friend calls me from his SGS2 owing to the pathetic microphone pick up at his side.

BTW, heard that the whole update is available somewhere in XDA, you might be able to flash it manually as well.

Last edited by clevermax : 20th September 2013 at 11:20.
Old 20th September 2013, 11:26   #16317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
-
- You should never charge half way. Let the battery drain to say 10-20% and charge full. Never 50-60 % and take it out. Because battery has memory and the next charging cycle it may only charge to that lower level.
These are not applicable for lithium-ion batteries, they were true for the older nickel-based batteries.

Lots of articles and posts around the same, you can google for "lithium-ion battery myths"
Old 20th September 2013, 11:59   #16318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
These are not applicable for lithium-ion batteries, they were true for the older nickel-based batteries.

Lots of articles and posts around the same, you can google for "lithium-ion battery myths"
Very true. In fact, Li-Ions like it when you keep them around half the charge. Keep a Li-Ion battery at full charge for extended periods and you are ruining the battery. Same goes with very low charges - as in deep discharge.

Li-ions preserve the charge for long periods of time while fully disconnected from a circuit, which is the reason why it is recommended to keep a Li-Ion battery at about 50% charge if you are storing it for long periods of time with no use.

There's no harm in plugging in your phone to charger when the battery is down at 40% and no harm unplugging it at 75% or 80%. Do a continuous full charge-discharge-charge at least once a month or so.

Last edited by clevermax : 20th September 2013 at 12:07.
Old 20th September 2013, 12:21   #16319
Team-BHP Support

Need help – how can I capture a screenshot using an Android phone (Galaxy Note 2)?
Thanks…
Old 20th September 2013, 12:28   #16320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Need help – how can I capture a screenshot using an Android phone (Galaxy Note 2)?
Thanks…
Hold down the Power button and home button at the same time.

Most Viewed