Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2013, 14:54   #16381
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Team,

Whats your opinion on NOTE 3 ?

At 49.9K, I think it is very expensive. All plans have been spoiled and now I have to wait for the NEXUS 5
Few notes here of this product.

- Extremely secure and comes with a free consumer version of Knox,
You can do all your banking transactions from container with out any worry
If your corporate has purchased license good for business use.

- Locked boot-loader and kernel with periodic measurements so you can't move to another kernel or load any kernel module. Also AFAIK no mod will be able to break it due to some special measures. Before anyone points me to Motochopper thread on XDA no it does not bypass BL or Kernel it just roots and with SE Linux policy in enforcement mode root privilege escalation causes no harm.

- If you are of the type who wants to play with ROMs avoid this one and also newer LTE S4s and buy AOSP S4 version.
Old 25th September 2013, 21:11   #16382
Distinguished - BHPian

Just got my SGN3. Nice change after a GN2 but at a higher price. I love the display.
Old 25th September 2013, 23:18   #16383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Just got my SGN3. Nice change after a GN2 but at a higher price. I love the display.
did you mean note 3 ? how much did you pay ?
Old 26th September 2013, 00:07   #16384
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys please suggest a smartphone in the range of 7-9k ( max) for basic usage of calls, messaging and basic internet usage. The person was using one of those Samsung corby phone till now. Good battery life and durability is desirable for atleast 2 years.
How is the Lenovo A390? Also was thinking if Nokia Lumia 520 will be any good? You get Nokia brand and for basic usage it should do fine right?

Last edited by drmohitg : 26th September 2013 at 00:09.
Old 26th September 2013, 00:08   #16385
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
did you mean note 3 ? how much did you pay ?
Yes, the Note 3. I traded in my Note 2 for it. Paid 30K net. This phone is more expensive than the Note 2 was at launch, mostly due to $ appreciating against our battered INR. No point blaming Sammy for it as all imported goods now cost more.

But after having purchased a iPhone 4s for 58K back in 2011 (when it was Rs. 45/$, 28-30% less than todays exchange rate) this is still cheaper. Let's see what the IP5S is priced at in India.

PS - like amitk26 has correctly said, if you are into flashing CM or other developer ROMs this is not the phone for you.

Last edited by R2D2 : 26th September 2013 at 00:09.
Old 26th September 2013, 07:50   #16386
Senior - BHPian

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2457964

Apparently, the note 3 is region locked.

R2D2, could you please confirm if there is any sticker on the note 3 box, which says this phone will work only in ASIA ?
Old 26th September 2013, 08:06   #16387
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

R2D2, could you please confirm if there is any sticker on the note 3 box, which says this phone will work only in ASIA ?
I read that yesterday. Pretty interesting. But that's only with the EU Note3. Not sure if this will apply to other regions.

There's no sticker on the box in India. I put the handset into download mode and there is yet no indication of the 'Knox' locked/unlocked status. I hesitate to set it up

What happens if an EU customer wants to travel abroad and use a local SIM? Or if a tourist in a EU country wants to buy a handset for use back home?

IMO this EU SIM lock is a pretty short-sighted move on Samsung's part.
Old 26th September 2013, 08:10   #16388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2457964

No sir note 3 is not region locked like DVD
Actually LTE bands are different in different countries so a phone working on LTE in one country will not necessarily work on another. LTE version uses qualcomm ap However India gets 3G version with Exynos octacore chipset and it's open market.
operator subsidised phones will be SIM locked.

Last edited by amitk26 : 26th September 2013 at 08:17.
Old 26th September 2013, 08:14   #16389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

What happens if an EU customer wants to travel abroad and use a local SIM? Or if a tourist in a EU country wants to buy a handset for use back home?

IMO this EU SIM lock is a pretty short-sighted move on Samsung's part.
People who buy operator phones in West just pay about 200 $ rest of the money operator is paying. The deal is that they will pay expensive roaming charges.

European open version is available at full price upfront and one can choose to buy that from Samsung store rather then operator subsidised phone.

However European union countries have selected a different LTE band then Americas. Also india uses TD LTE along with china, HK and Australia. So EU or US open LTE phone will work only in 3G mode here.

R2D2 use consumer knox you have nothing to loose you can delete and recreate it any time.

Last edited by amitk26 : 26th September 2013 at 08:22.
Old 26th September 2013, 08:21   #16390
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
People who buy operator phones in West just pay about 200 $ rest of the money operator is paying. The deal is that they will pay expensive roaming charges.

European open version is available at full price upfront and one can choose to buy that from Samsung store rather then operator subsidised phone.
According to buyers posting on that thread, this is a not a network locked handset and they paid full retail price for it. You may want to start reading from post # 1.

You can use any network just as long as it is a EU operator. Apparently the same is applicable in the US and Americas.

PS - checked your update about the LTE bands. While that is correct the phone could have still operated on 3G, there's absolutely no need to use a regional network lock.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-eu-note3.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-us-note-3.jpg  

Last edited by R2D2 : 26th September 2013 at 08:24.
Old 26th September 2013, 08:25   #16391
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

According to buyers posting on that thread, this is a not a network locked handset and they paid full retail price for it. You may want to start reading from post # 1.

You can use any network just as long as it is a EU operator. Apparently the same is applicable in the US and Americas.
Edit: looked at thread again it looks like operator subsidy issue. India model is fully open.

Well internally in R&D we used to call it European open model and it was not locked. I thought that the sticker was just a simple explanation put by marketing to consumers that don't expect it to work on non European LTE networks.

Internally both EU and US open models worked on 3G in India with Airtel and BSNL sims. However network locks in those markets may be subsidy issue.

Last edited by amitk26 : 26th September 2013 at 08:40.
Old 26th September 2013, 09:19   #16392
Distinguished - BHPian

@amitk26 - check this clarification an XDA member received from a retailer

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...4&postcount=36

At a price of GBP 594 (INR 59400 at current exchange rates) these are not operator subsidised handsets because there's no network specific lock. The restriction is that you cannot use it in countries outside the EU.

I quote:

"If you travel internationally (outside of the Europe) and usually insert a local SIM card when in the country, the Note 3 will NOT be able to use the local network. It will loose all mobile connectivity with the exception for emergency calls.

For example, if you travel to the USA and insert a SIM card issued in the USA, you will not be able to use the Note 3 for any voice calls, text messages and mobile date connection. It would work via a WiFi connection only."

The retailer's site:

http://www.clove.co.uk/samsung-galaxy-note-3#options

Last edited by R2D2 : 26th September 2013 at 09:22.
Old 26th September 2013, 10:04   #16393
BHPian

[quote=kiransri_bng;3246783]
Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
I have updated my colleague's A116 to android 4.2.1

Here you go,

Download the driver, tool, firmware from this link.

h

Hi

Thanks Naveen, Badboy and Akshay for your Replies.

Akshay

By any chance you know when is the release of 4.3 and Micromax providing a OTA Update and support for the same.
No official word but i read at multiple places that it should be available end of October. They have leaked some screenshots of 4.3 on CHD. Also They have introduced OTA only since 4.2. BTW are you rooted?
Old 26th September 2013, 10:09   #16394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Guys please suggest a smartphone in the range of 7-9k ( max) for basic usage of calls, messaging and basic internet usage. The person was using one of those Samsung corby phone till now. Good battery life and durability is desirable for atleast 2 years.
How is the Lenovo A390? Also was thinking if Nokia Lumia 520 will be any good? You get Nokia brand and for basic usage it should do fine right?
In sub 10k category i would personally sugest you go for Lumia 520. At 8800/- its a steal. Not seen or used lenovo phones so cant comment.

One thing i have observed is, for a smooth droid experience, its better to have a good dual or quad processor.
Old 26th September 2013, 11:02   #16395
Senior - BHPian

Any insights in to why the indian note 3 gets exynos and not the snapdragon 800 ?

Any thoughts on LG G2 ? It is beast in terms of specs, cannot say the same about the skinning done by LG.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks