Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2013, 12:23   #16576
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
FK has an offer "Get Extra 15% Cashback on purchases above Rs. 10,000 on Standard Chartered Cards."

I would say you look around for a Standard Chartered Card if you dont have one and get it from FK.

Regards,
Have been trying to get hold of someone with Standard Chartered card, but no luck so far. :( As you said, it's a great deal !
Old 15th October 2013, 17:18   #16577
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I have a funny question. and i am sure some of you here might also agree with me. I am looking for an app / solution which would let me block / disable whatsapp / FB etc when i want to.

The issue is, WA is running 24/7 in background and during working hours i want to stay away from it. due to the double tick thing ppl know the msgs have been delivered and i am being ignorant and not replying. So if there is an app which lets me disable certain set of apps it would be awesome.

So say during working hrs i disable WA just like i sign off my personal messengers, i wont have to deal with unwanted messages and sign back in after 6PM and deal with them all

I know the simplest way would be to delete WA account. Trust me, i am on the verge of doing that if i don't find a solution to this.
Old 15th October 2013, 17:48   #16578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

I have a funny question. and i am sure some of you here might also agree with me. I am looking for an app / solution which would let me block / disable whatsapp / FB etc when i want to.

The issue is, WA is running 24/7 in background and during working hours i want to stay away from it. due to the double tick thing ppl know the msgs have been delivered and i am being ignorant and not replying. So if there is an app which lets me disable certain set of apps it would be awesome.

So say during working hrs i disable WA just like i sign off my personal messengers, i wont have to deal with unwanted messages and sign back in after 6PM and deal with them all

I know the simplest way would be to delete WA account. Trust me, i am on the verge of doing that if i don't find a solution to this.
Tasker or a firewall solution?
Old 15th October 2013, 18:24   #16579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

You can force close the app and tap on when you want to retrieve messages. Other than that what you can do is to read messages after turning off the data connection and close the app and restart the app, with this way your time stamp will not change and you will be able to read messages also.

I have fooled many of my friends with this trick for more than one month during a vacation

Other than above two ways, there is no other solution AFAIK.

Last edited by bluevolt : 15th October 2013 at 18:27.
Old 15th October 2013, 18:39   #16580
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Not a funny question at all! For this and most such automation requirements, Tasker is the answer! It's an amazing app (or rather a toolkit).
Old 15th October 2013, 19:49   #16581
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Gear View Post
Not a funny question at all! For this and most such automation requirements, Tasker is the answer! It's an amazing app (or rather a toolkit).
+1 to Top-Gear (or should I say Holmes! ). Tasker is the mother of all phone automation Apps for Android. I use it day in day out. The best part is you can code it the way you want it.

Check the the Xda You tube channel on Tasker. In fact if I remember correctly one of the guys on the video goes on to say: One of the main reasons to buy an Android would be tasker ! That is stretching it a bit. But I fully agree!

Its a paid App. Initially you may get lost after seeing so many options and buttons. But once you get the hang of it, it is delightful. Then you start thinking what more of your mundane scenarios you can automate.
Old 15th October 2013, 20:15   #16582
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, how to disable the feature where the phone suggests "correc" spellings ? in an Xperia ?
am running 4.1.x, and dictionary option is already off.
Yet when I type in a sms, it keeps suggesting spellings. So unless I keep responding to each word, it will swap the spellings to what it thinks is correct

2)
Where are teh smileys ? I dont find any in the Xperia

Last edited by condor : 15th October 2013 at 20:45.
Old 15th October 2013, 20:30   #16583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
+1 to Top-Gear (or should I say Holmes! ). Tasker is the mother of all phone automation Apps for Android. I use it day in day out. The best part is you can code it the way you want it.

Check the the Xda You tube channel on Tasker. In fact if I remember correctly one of the guys on the video goes on to say: One of the main reasons to buy an Android would be tasker ! That is stretching it a bit. But I fully agree!

Its a paid App. Initially you may get lost after seeing so many options and buttons. But once you get the hang of it, it is delightful. Then you start thinking what more of your mundane scenarios you can automate.
So, Holmes has been uncovered! Elementary, dear Watson!

Anyway, felt great to hear from you about Tasker! I've discovered a kindred soul!

I am very eager to know what all profiles you've set up! Should we start a new thread for Tasker?
Old 15th October 2013, 20:43   #16584
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a ton guys for the pointers. I always had tasker installed but never really struck me that i could use it for my this particular requirement.

Managed to crate a tasker rule.

Name:  ForumRunner_20131015_204213.png
Views: 636
Size:  330.6 KB

Thanks once again.
Old 15th October 2013, 21:01   #16585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

I accomplished the same by turning off my network completely as soon as i turn off my phone. Or, you can only turn off the wifi and leave the mobile on, but restrict background data on WA (from "data usage" panel)so it will not be online until you turn the screen on. This way you can continue to get important updates even when screen is off (email/ calendar etc).

The downside is if you use your phone for streaming music (or any other network intensive application), that will turn off as well, as soon as you turn off the screen.

look at my posts earlier in this thread to see my app that turns off the data connection wen screen is turned off.
Old 15th October 2013, 21:27   #16586
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a ton guys for the pointers. I always had tasker installed but never really struck me that i could use it for my this particular requirement.

Managed to crate a tasker rule.

Thanks once again.
Wouldn't you need an exit task as well?
Old 15th October 2013, 21:35   #16587
BHPian

Hi
Can someone point me to , how to exactly export a Tasker profile.

I have a Tasker profile set , which. Works perfectly as of now to basically put my tab into flight mode and turn the screen off the moment the charger/ power is disconnected from the tab. However this takes a few seconds to kick in almost 4-5 seconds.
Is there a better way to instantly turn the screen off when the power is disconnected.
Old 15th October 2013, 21:47   #16588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Gear View Post

Wouldn't you need an exit task as well?
What do you mean by Exit task? You meam enabling it after that end time?

I have restricted whatsapp to be non operational between 10:30 and 19:00. Ill test it tomorrow and see how it goes.
Old 15th October 2013, 21:55   #16589
BHPian

Quote:

What do you mean by Exit task? You meam enabling it after that end time?

I have restricted whatsapp to be non operational between 10:30 and 19:00. Ill test it tomorrow and see how it goes.
Yes. Reason is, the action I saw in tasker was "Kill App" which to me suggests that an exit task might be needed. Right, Ampere?
Old 15th October 2013, 22:42   #16590
Senior - BHPian

Any free app which does what tasker does? I dont want to pay for an app

Most Viewed