Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2013, 18:11   #16606
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Hello All,

After a wait of almost 20 days, I finally got back my Micromax A116 Canvas HD. (I gave it to service center on 23 September).

The motherboard is replaced & the phone now runs on 4.2.1 version. Let us see how long the device now lasts.

Since the motherboard is replaced, I lost all the data on the phone - viz, contacts, photographs & downloaded applications.

Thanks,

Last edited by Jignesh : 16th October 2013 at 18:12.
Old 16th October 2013, 18:29   #16607
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Since the motherboard is replaced, I lost all the data on the phone - viz, contacts, photographs & downloaded applications.
Data is fine. But contacts and apps you should be able to re-sync from Google without any issues. I hope you keep your contacts on the Cloud.
Old 16th October 2013, 22:34   #16608
Team-BHP Support

Anyone tried the 'Aviate' launcher?

It's in private beta (invitation only), so I couldn't get my hands on it. Seems like a fresh take on launchers, the demo shows it's quite different from the usual suspects.
Old 17th October 2013, 13:49   #16609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Anyone tried the 'Aviate' launcher?

It's in private beta (invitation only), so I couldn't get my hands on it. Seems like a fresh take on launchers, the demo shows it's quite different from the usual suspects.
I keep seeing 'aviate' codes available/required posts on Nexus 4 community on G+. I am not tempted to try out. I'd rather trust my own intelligence to set up tasks/profiles on tasker .
Old 17th October 2013, 17:21   #16610
BHPian

Just came across this article on androidcentral. Beware! I would definitely keep away.

http://www.androidcentral.com/aviate...t-being-sloppy

"
If you visit a URL at Aviate's site using your device ID, you get a plain-text listing of your location and installed apps. The URL, for those who want to check, is http://www.getaviate.com/search/api/v3/devices/DEVICEID. You can find your device ID in the system's logcat file, or find it by clicking on the "Help" button in the app. Click here for an example if this is all over your head. The issue is two-fold:
  • Anyone with a web browser can see your data if they know your unique ID
  • Anyone sniffing traffic can see your data because it's in plain text
There is no reasonable excuse for Aviate to do things this way. While your device ID isn't exactly easy to guess, another application developer can get access to it with just a few lines of code. Do you want someone to have the exact location where you — or your kids — sleep every night? I don't.
The Aviate app isn't my cup of tea, and I tried and quickly uninstalled it anyway. But there's a lot of traction behind it, and for a lot of people it does the things they want. The developers have to get this mess straightened out, and soon. They may not be spying on you, but they are sharing the information you gave them with everyone else. "
Old 17th October 2013, 18:27   #16611
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Gear View Post
Just came across this article on androidcentral. Beware! I would definitely keep away.

http://www.androidcentral.com/aviate...t-being-sloppy

"
If you visit a URL at Aviate's site using your device ID, you get a plain-text listing of your location and installed apps. The URL, for those who want to check, is http://www.getaviate.com/search/api/v3/devices/DEVICEID. You can find your device ID in the system's logcat file, or find it by clicking on the "Help" button in the app. Click here for an example if this is all over your head. The issue is two-fold:
  • Anyone with a web browser can see your data if they know your unique ID
  • Anyone sniffing traffic can see your data because it's in plain text
There is no reasonable excuse for Aviate to do things this way. While your device ID isn't exactly easy to guess, another application developer can get access to it with just a few lines of code. Do you want someone to have the exact location where you — or your kids — sleep every night? I don't.
The Aviate app isn't my cup of tea, and I tried and quickly uninstalled it anyway. But there's a lot of traction behind it, and for a lot of people it does the things they want. The developers have to get this mess straightened out, and soon. They may not be spying on you, but they are sharing the information you gave them with everyone else. "
Thanks for all the background info. Privacy is an ongoing concern with all smartphone platforms right now. Some apps ask for permissions that seem questionable at best, downright spying at worst.

I'm not much of a power-user (w.r.t. apps and social networking), and my phone is in stock condition. Just found some blog posts about Aviate and couldn't find a trial, so got curious if someone here had.

I'm staying well clear for the time being. I'm more than happy to make a few changes to my phone (task-wise) manually everyday. Tasker is overkill for my requirements.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 17th October 2013 at 18:30.
Old 18th October 2013, 05:37   #16612
BHPian

Hi all, I've been facing this problem when trying to purchase anything from Play store for the past two days :-( Anyone else have this problem?
I've tried deleting and adding the card but didn't work.

Name:  ForumRunner_20131018_053631.png
Views: 756
Size:  75.1 KB
Old 18th October 2013, 07:03   #16613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Hi all, I've been facing this problem when trying to purchase anything from Play store for the past two days :-( Anyone else have this problem?
I've tried deleting and adding the card but didn't work.

Attachment 1154027
Are you able to carry out other internet transactions?

Check your card thoroughly because I got this message when my card was expired (The new card was already activated and the PlayStore had old card details).
Old 18th October 2013, 08:13   #16614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post
Are you able to carry out other internet transactions?

Check your card thoroughly because I got this message when my card was expired (The new card was already activated and the PlayStore had old card details).
Yes, other transactions are working fine. Card validity is till 2016. Seems like this is a Play store issue. A friend of mine got the same problem with Play store on 3 cards from various banks :(

Last edited by bhp_maniac : 18th October 2013 at 08:19.
Old 18th October 2013, 08:58   #16615
BHPian

Re: The "Online Shopping" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
By the way why Xperia ZR? If you could share the reason or else its ok
My priorities are
1) More than decent Specs
2) Battery backup
3) Screen size < 5 inch (I prefer handy to bulky)

ZR fits my needs perfectly. Processor although a little old still packs some oomph, add to that 2 GB RAM and Adreno 320 GPU, the phone is a small powerhouse.
It has got 2300 mAH battery, and as it has to run only a 720p screen, the back up is great.
The screen is just 4.5 inch so it is very handy.

It has also got some good features. 13 MP cam, water and dust resistance to name a few. So all in all, a great phone.
Old 18th October 2013, 09:14   #16616
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello All,

After a wait of almost 20 days, I finally got back my Micromax A116 Canvas HD. (I gave it to service center on 23 September).

The motherboard is replaced & the phone now runs on 4.2.1 version. Let us see how long the device now lasts.

Thanks,
Hi Jignesh,

Didnt you have any backup which you take regularly ?

I hear titanium backup and other tools are quite good.

This is one reason why I stick to apple, the itunes sync is just uncomparale !!! But again, with the new launches and prices, I will shift to Android sooner (Nexus 5)
Old 18th October 2013, 10:14   #16617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neerajpv87 View Post
My priorities are
1) More than decent Specs
2) Battery backup
3) Screen size < 5 inch (I prefer handy to bulky)

ZR fits my needs perfectly. Processor although a little old still packs some oomph, add to that 2 GB RAM and Adreno 320 GPU, the phone is a small powerhouse.
It has got 2300 mAH battery, and as it has to run only a 720p screen, the back up is great.
The screen is just 4.5 inch so it is very handy.

It has also got some good features. 13 MP cam, water and dust resistance to name a few. So all in all, a great phone.
Looks like you have done the homework already
All valid points BUT I would still give a second thought to Note 2 since there is hardly any price difference. And its not that big to carry either though the screen size is way bigger than ZR.
Old 18th October 2013, 11:19   #16618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePunter View Post
Of my last say most recent 40-50 experiences of which 3 times it was with indiatimes.com, & all 3 got 100/100 marks in this latecomer department.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anks_at View Post
Although I have not personally experienced any issues from Indiatimes myself, a few friends did have to face the long delivery times upto 3-4 weeks.
Booked the phone from Snapdeal yesterday. Received a text today and the expected dispatch date is mentioned as 24th October. Add 4 days for delivery, that means I'll receive the phone 10 days after ordering. Guess Indiatimes and Snapdeal are not that different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
All valid points BUT I would still give a second thought to Note 2 since there is hardly any price difference. And its not that big to carry either though the screen size is way bigger than ZR.
I'm not a big fan of plasticky Samsung phones. I'd prefer a Sony or a Nokia anyday !
Old 18th October 2013, 11:31   #16619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neerajpv87 View Post
Add 4 days for delivery, that means I'll receive the phone 10 days after ordering. Guess Indiatimes and Snapdeal are not that different.

I'm not a big fan of plasticky Samsung phones. I'd prefer a Sony or a Nokia anyday !
Ahh! There is no consistency with some sites! Didnt see a delivery time issue with Snapdeal too unless something changed at their side recently. Hope they just quoted the worst case scenario but deliver earlier.

That water & dust resistance is cool on the Sony phone. Was targeting one myself but with a recent offer on Flipkart got hold of a Samsung S3 for just 16.5 k which was a steal (cashback + exchange offer. It went out of stock minutes after I ordered it day before yesterday). So back to Samsung once again & its supposed to be delivered anytime now.
Old 18th October 2013, 13:28   #16620
Distinguished - BHPian

Nexus 5 leaked (again!!)

This time though from play store including the price. Starting from $349.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screen_shot_20131017_at_6.16.44_pm.png

More here - http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/17/4...ay-store-price

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks