Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2013, 11:49   #16741
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I am not reading all posts carefully, especially the brand wars happening on the previous page. But some observations:
1. Micromax was known to be poor in terms of signal reception and call quality. If you try to use the hands-free mode, then the other party cannot hear much. There is some sort of disturbance and noise pickup.
I am not sure if they have improved on this aspect in the more expensive phones (read: 11K+)

2. I have never been a fan of Samsung, but I was happy to note that the Note (or Note II?) has a very good signal reception. A guest who visited us for a couple of days had good interior signal coverage and no call dropping. On the same network, other phones have been getting very less signal even at the window. So, I am impressed.

Last edited by S_U_N : 29th October 2013 at 11:50.
Old 29th October 2013, 14:12   #16742

Also correct me if I'm wrong but the phones from the big brands sold abroad (USA and EU) need to be tested and approved by their regulators- FCC etc before being sold there. Thus it is a given that the radio emissions cannot exceed a certain prescribed level.

Since we in India do not have any such regulations or regulators doing such testing (please correct me if I'm wrong), many Chinese made mobile phones might actually be harmful to a person's health.. Cheaper maybe but more harmful in the long run.

One of the points that play in my head when I buy a mobile phone.. Might be more expensive but at least has been tested and certified to be within certain emission limits.
Old 29th October 2013, 16:42   #16743
Senior - BHPian

I've owned a Micromax A110 (Canvas 2) and now a Samsung Galaxy S4. Getting the Canvas2 during Nov 2012 end was crazy, no white phone stock anywhere and I needed it (actually a camera phone, because at that time I didn't keep one and an small accident left me wanting for a camera phone + the price of 9990/- wasn't much for a phone of that size and spec, I thought).

During the 6 months that I owned it, the phone crashed twice and it will be an understatement if I said I didn't overload (even load) the phone with any crappy, suspect apps. I just had the regular ones I used. The stock and installed apps were unstable (or the OS?); even the stock Micromax installed apps wouldn't work. Everytime I clicked one, they'd close and not function. It used to be irritating.

Upgrading to S4 was unplanned and a decision like from my younger years, on a whim. But the phone is beautiful, swift and purposeful. I religiously use the S Health app, the memo app is also great for me without having to go to evernotes. Calendar integration is superb with all other social networking apps and the screen is one to lust for, both for images and movies. I don't game much but for what I do, are fantastic. Some other funny, nifty apps are also great.

Agreed the price may be buffered up too much for building their marketing war chest, but there will be interesting differences one can find between micromax and samsung, at the higher end of each brand. But that difference could either be diminishing and we could see better hardware from Micromax soon (moving to something better than MediaTek might be a good move). But as someone said, it won't matter to those who only gmail and whatsapp with their smartphones.

Last edited by k_ajay : 29th October 2013 at 16:44.
Old 29th October 2013, 16:57   #16744
BHPian

After using the Micromax Canvas 2 for the last 10 months, I can say that yes, the Network strength of this MMX phone is weak compared to my wifes samsung on the same network. Other than that it has not hanged on me as yet or restarted. I use the following apps:

Fb, watsapp, viber, TOI, BBC, F1, NOTE, Android Weather. This fills all my requirements. After all this I have about 100 mb RAM left.

For the price you cant complain. The only issue i have is that I live near darjeeling and make frequent visits to the hills and the reception is not great with this phone up there

Last edited by amrisharm : 29th October 2013 at 16:59.
Old 29th October 2013, 19:56   #16745
Senior - BHPian

Ah, another thing me thinks is that my Micromax A110 is rooted. Updated to latest stock rom - 4.1.1. And I've removed every unnecessary app on it - especially the pre-installed ones. And moved all apps to SD card. Maybe this is why I have no issues on the phone. No lags etc for my use.

Perhaps you guys should try it
Old 29th October 2013, 22:44   #16746
BHPian

Guys just wanted to know which phone is better Xperia Z1 or Note 3?
Old 29th October 2013, 23:21   #16747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Getting a perfect z1 is a lottery. Display issues a lot...

I personally moved to note 3 from z1. Note 3 is an all rounder with brownie points. 3gb ram, 32gb on board, amazing battery, mighty s-pen... Cherry on the cake is android 4.3.
Old 30th October 2013, 08:02   #16748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by anmolbedi View Post
Getting a perfect z1 is a lottery. Display issues a lot...

I personally moved to note 3 from z1. Note 3 is an all rounder with brownie points. 3gb ram, 32gb on board, amazing battery, mighty s-pen... Cherry on the cake is android 4.3.
Note 3 is any day better than Z1.

Camera on the Z1 is not good as per the online review, despite the huge 20.7 sensor it sports.

The display is still not at par with the other flagship phones.

It has huge bezel and the design is not as as good as that of the earlier Z.

If you think NOTE 3 is too pricey, you can look at LG G2.

Even better wait for NEXUS 5.
Old 30th October 2013, 08:25   #16749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Two phones targeted at different audiences I feel.

Note series would always be the absolute best Android has to offer but its a bit bulky (esp when used as a phone). However I feel the Sony's USP is its water and dust proof abilities which could be important for some of us (thats why I bought it over HTC One and S4 as I have a naughty little one at home and you never know when they will dink it in water! I have lost one phone like that once in the past)

And frankly one should not go by online reviews! Most of them are paid (or sponsored, if you will). Thats why apple never gets any bad press. Corporations like Samsung and Apple spend mega bucks in advertising and marketing (and in Samsung's case even to defame others). Z1 camera is the absolute best in Android world if you could be bothered to use it in manual mode. It only suffers in auto mode.
Old 30th October 2013, 13:06   #16750
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sony's USP is its water and dust proof abilities which could be important for some of us
How about the camera?
Old 30th October 2013, 13:32   #16751
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
How about the camera?
You can go thru various forums like xda and/or flickr and make your own opinion.

For me, its been quite capable (in manual 8mp mode) I have taken some really good pics in very low light indoors that my other phone (HTC Radar) was quite rubbish at. So compared to my other phones its much much better (and that is enough for me). The Hardware is there (much bigger 1/2.3 inch sensor, bright f2.0 G quality lens). I wish Sony had kept MP at 13 only. Bigger pixels would have been better than more pixels.
Old 30th October 2013, 13:39   #16752
BANNED

Got a LG G2 32GB. I used for two days and i am back to my trusted Nokia E6. Thinking of gifting to wife now . G2 is an awsome phone but just too big .
Old 30th October 2013, 14:58   #16753
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
... So compared to my other phones its much much better (and that is enough for me). The Hardware is there (much bigger 1/2.3 inch sensor, bright f2.0 G quality lens). I wish Sony had kept MP at 13 only. Bigger pixels would have been better than more pixels.
Thanks. I still intend it to be a year or two before the next upgrade --- but that doesn't stop me thinking about it . I want a phone that won't be destroyed by a splash of rain, and would like to be able to take half-decent pics. My Defy+ is half decent for closeups, but rubbish for everything else.
Old 30th October 2013, 15:12   #16754
BHPian

Anyone tried Qualcomm BatteryGuru app? It claims to reduce battery drain in a big way. I own a Nexus 4, and the battery backup has improved a tad bit after the 4.3 update. Any idea if BatteryGuru app will help push the battery power to few more hours every day?
Old 30th October 2013, 17:35   #16755
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion_blore View Post
Anyone tried Qualcomm BatteryGuru app? It claims to reduce battery drain in a big way. I own a Nexus 4, and the battery backup has improved a tad bit after the 4.3 update. Any idea if BatteryGuru app will help push the battery power to few more hours every day?
Hello scorpion,
I am a nexus 4 user too and using the battery guru from a long time. Yes it indeed helps you push the battery. You are right about the increased battery life after 4.3 update! Initially for 2/3 days it will do the learning and then starts battery saving. Though it does not have too many options and flexibility, I guess it is enough. Recently a few more options were added with an update: options like charger reminder- at the time when you charge it daily. And also if it thinks the phone doesn't last until the usual charging time! Download and try it. I'm satisfied.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks