Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2013, 11:24   #16816
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Just a quick one, how do you toggle between 3G and edge?
In network settings, WCDMA is 3g and GSM is 2g. That's how i do it. When i need to switch between them.
Old 5th November 2013, 11:26   #16817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantbhatia84 View Post
When using 3G, ensure that the signal strength you're receiving at your office is within the range of -65dbm to -85dbm (check settings - about - phone status).
Signal strength beyond this range (-86dbm to -105dbm & above) is considered poor coverage and will eat up battery.
The range is as per the attached screen shot, is this in the acceptable range?
Attached Images

Old 5th November 2013, 12:20   #16818
BHPian

Quote:

The range is as per the attached screen shot, is this in the acceptable range?
Network strength is excellent. Is this at your office? If yes then you should look for possible apps draining battery. Also, if your battery is more than a year old then you'll experience degraded battery life which is normal.
Old 5th November 2013, 12:55   #16819
BHPian

Quote:
Network strength is excellent. Is this at your office? If yes then you should look for possible apps draining battery. Also, if your battery is more than a year old then you'll experience degraded battery life which is normal.
This is at my office. I may have to look at possible apps that are draining the battery, however I am certain not many may be there. That leaves me with replacing the battery.
Old 5th November 2013, 20:43   #16820
BHPian

Quote:
This is at my office. I may have to look at possible apps that are draining the battery, however I am certain not many may be there. That leaves me with replacing the battery.
You can try monitoring your apps a bit with Better Battery Stats from xda:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1179809

See if something is really hogging your battery. There are instructions on the link above.

I have a soon to be 2 year old Note1 (& it lasts 1/2 a day with 3g on & more than a day with it off. So yes 3g does suck of the battery. But if there are no data transfers ongoing, it doesnt matter much (in my case I have various apps regularly pulling data every minute - intentional). So you can also monitor your data usage & see which apps are responsible for exchanging higher data leading to battery drain.
Old 6th November 2013, 01:54   #16821
BHPian

Quote:

With 3G on, battery life on any Android device does take a huge hit. I speak with hands-on experience on a Nexus S, a Galaxy Nexus and currently a Galaxy S4. Same thing happens with my wife's and dad's S4 but my mom's Galaxy Nexus runs for almost 1.5 days per charge as she doesn't have 3G.
Since mobile phone aren't allowed in my office my phone is mostly in the locker with data-off, due to this i return home with almost 80 to 85% battery charge remaining! On a normal day, my battery won't last more than 12 hrs (this is on a 6m old S4).
So I can safely conclude that the battery life you're getting out of your phone is pretty normal, and IMO replacing the battery won't make a lot of difference, except for maybe a couple of hours of extra life (which doesn't justify the cost of an original battery).
Hope this helps!
Old 6th November 2013, 13:31   #16822
BHPian

So, Finally got my Nexus 5 32Gb Black yesterday (i ordered it through german google play as i am currenly travelling in germany for office work).

I started the phone and during setup it asked to download 134Mb data download before continuing. this is reported on internet by lots of people as LG made these certain initial quantity phones before google prepared final Kitkat version. So these phones come with pre final kitkat builds. I download data with wifi and it rebooted. Setup went well.
I haven't rooted or unlocked the bootloader yet as i want to first check the phone for all the problems that people are reporting in their Nexus 5.
1. Exchange Email syncing is working perfect even when screen if off.
2. Downloaded the dead pixel detector from play store and did the test. Everything is perfect.
3. No light Bleeding from screen edges.
4. Volume rocker buttons are good. no loose fitting. Just that the edges are sharp.
5. Power button is bit loose and makes rattling noise when i shake the phone gently.
6. Played a video from youtube. Volume is not so loud but smooth. No problem with speaker.
7. Wifi is bit of a problem i guess. My Iphone 5 wifi shows full bars while at the same distance Nexus 5 shows 3/4 bars. I am standing just 8 feets away from my Apple airport express turning my back to router.

First Impression:

Hardware:

Screen is dull at full brightness compared to my S3 and Iphone 5 (this might be deal breaker for some).
Back panel is smooth and feels rubbery. Very Good hold in hand. No slippery feeling.
Speaker sound is good but not as loud and clear as Iphone 5. Better than S3 in terms of smoothness but again loudness is not so much. it is not a deal breaker as it is enough for normal usage (Loudness might not be sufficient for some people while watching movie).
Camera is good enough for Normal use but again sharpness and color correction is not like Iphone 5. It's comparable with my S3.
Overall build quality is superb.

Software:

Kitkat seems to be quite fluid and refined. No Dialer lag felt (Famous in Galaxy Phones).
Hangout integration with sms needs some time to get used to.
Dialer is new and integrates search functionality in a good way.
Icons look quite BIG. I might consider changing arrangements once tweaks available.

will update as i play more this new Toy.

Overall, in this price, fantastic phone to have considering Chart topping results of processor and first access to software updates.

Total Cost: 399€ phone + 8€ shipping.

Last edited by Nicky : 6th November 2013 at 13:34.
Old 6th November 2013, 14:43   #16823
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Nicky. I think you are the first owner on the forum .

Just curious, if you had purchased in India you would have got it at cheaper price with warranty. Any particular reason purchasing it in Germany ?
Old 6th November 2013, 14:54   #16824
BHPian

@Sagarpadaki,
No reason actually. just got too excited to wait for India launch.
i paid 409€ in total, which come to 33.5k (with 82 current exchange rate).
cost is almost same as it's gonna be in India. It's just that i won't have Indian warranty. In case of any warranty issue, i can make this in germany, as i travel frequently. not the ideal situation but can live with it.
Old 6th November 2013, 22:27   #16825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
So, Finally got my Nexus 5 32Gb Black yesterday (i ordered it through german google play as i am currenly travelling in germany for office work).
Wow, congratulations, Nicky! As a happy user of the Nexus 4 and a fan of the Nexus program in general, I am following the Nexus 5 with great interest. It was great to get a first person account from you. Thanks. Could you please elaborate on the Hangouts integration in KitKat and what it means for us as users?

Last edited by Eddy : 6th November 2013 at 22:42. Reason: Please do not quote a large post. It hampers readability for our mobile users.
Old 6th November 2013, 23:50   #16826
Senior - BHPian

I am looking for an app which would sync with calendar and automatically switch off ringer on the phone for the duration of the meeting. Does anybody know of anything like this?

Appreciate your help.
Old 7th November 2013, 00:11   #16827
PPS
Senior - BHPian

I'm having some issues on my Samsung S3 while updating & downloading apps from the playstore!

Whenever i click on the playstore, it says background data needs to be enabled, my mobile data is always on!

My Whatsapp has become obsolete, so whenever i try to update the app it doesn't do so. There is no progress shown in the notifications at all!
Name:  1.png
Views: 664
Size:  60.9 KB

Neither am i able to download a new app whenever i finally get thru into the playstore!
Name:  2.png
Views: 646
Size:  33.2 KB

I wonder what the issue is! All my accounts are synched. Is it a problem with the phone or some other issue?
Name:  3.png
Views: 749
Size:  30.3 KB
Old 7th November 2013, 00:42   #16828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
Hearty congratulations Nicky. First on t-bhp. There was a comparison between the nexus 4 and nexus 5 camera performance (try googling it) - it has definitely taken a leap from the old generation (referring to nexus 4 here).
Personally being a nexus 4 user, looking forward to the kitkat update. As another bhpian has also put- could you please throw some light on the hangouts being integrated with SMS?
Old 7th November 2013, 01:00   #16829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
I'm having some issues on my Samsung S3 while updating & downloading apps from the playstore!

Whenever i click on the playstore, it says background data needs to be enabled, my mobile data is always on!

My Whatsapp has become obsolete, so whenever i try to update the app it doesn't do so. There is no progress shown in the notifications at all!

Neither am i able to download a new app whenever i finally get thru into the playstore!

I wonder what the issue is! All my accounts are synched. Is it a problem with the phone or some other issue?
Habe you tried a different internet connection i.e. wifi / some other wifi connection? If yes, den-
Here's what you can try:
Opt 1: Delete all accounts from 'accounts and sync' including the Google account. Restart your phone and add the Google account first. Try accessing Play Store now, and update your apps.
If this doesn't work;
Opt 2: Backup all your contacts and data and perform a 'factory reset'. This will delete all apps and related data and should solve the issue for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
I am looking for an app which would sync with calendar and automatically switch off ringer on the phone for the duration of the meeting. Does anybody know of anything like this?

Appreciate your help.
I don't think there's an app which can do exactly what you're looking for, but can suggest 'Locale' as it comes close to your requirements. However the app is kinda pricey!

Last edited by nishantbhatia84 : 7th November 2013 at 01:08.
Old 7th November 2013, 01:11   #16830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Try this first. Settings -> Apps. Find Play Store and Google Play Services and then clear data. That might fix your problem.

Quote:
Opt 1: Delete all accounts from 'accounts and sync' including the Google account. Restart your phone and add the Google account first. Try accessing Play Store now, and update your apps.
If this doesn't work;
Opt 2: Backup all your contacts and data and perform a 'factory reset'. This will delete all apps and related data and should solve the issue for sure.
Opt 1 and 2 are same. Removing your primary Google account causes a factory reset.

Most Viewed