Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2013, 17:09   #16936
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljai View Post
Just dropped my Galaxy S3,.... The only equipment thats required is a heat gun, costing around Rs.1300. Is there any reliable mobile phone service centers in Bangalore which do just the screen glass replacement, as opposed to the entire front unit? If there are no service centers, was thinking of trying this on my own, has anyone here tried this before?
You can try SP Road or National Market, Gandhinagar.
Old 15th November 2013, 21:17   #16937
BANNED

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Have upgraded my htc One from 4.1 to 4.3. It was unlocked and rooted earlier so OTA did not work. I had to relock it <fastboot oem lock> before installing the RUU . Working perfectly, but entering recovery shows the standard error (red exclamation in a triangle). Is it due to the fact that even though it is [RELOCKED] I an still seeing S-off. I am informed if it is S-off then it is root ready. Now what recovery should I install. TWRP or CWM or some other. Also, will KitKat be as involved, or with S-off OTA is history.
Old 15th November 2013, 22:29   #16938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Can someone please share with me, what is it that i am not doing correctly? Is it supposed to be Time & Place OR Time OR Place?

Regards,
It's supposed to be time or place. It can't do both time and place yet. But you should be happy that you can set reminders for places.
Old 16th November 2013, 02:34   #16939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Have upgraded my htc One from 4.1 to 4.3. It was unlocked and rooted earlier so OTA did not work. I had to relock it <fastboot oem lock> before installing the RUU . Working perfectly, but entering recovery shows the standard error (red exclamation in a triangle). Is it due to the fact that even though it is [RELOCKED] I an still seeing S-off. I am informed if it is S-off then it is root ready. Now what recovery should I install. TWRP or CWM or some other. Also, will KitKat be as involved, or with S-off OTA is history.
IMO installing any recovery with 4.3 will require you to re-root your phone as 4.3 overwrites the existing recovery, kernel and a host of other stuff. My S4 was rooted with stock ROM but after the OTA update to 4.3 I lost the root and custom recovery - so i guess it'll be the same for HTC as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljai View Post
Just dropped my Galaxy S3, and now the screen glass is cracked.
There seems to be no damage to the digitizer nor the LCD Screen.
Called up the authorized service centers, and they all replace the entire unit, and the quote is around Rs.6700.
Checked and found that you can just replace the screen glass, and its sold for around Rs.650 online. There are some detailed YouTube videos also on how this is done.
The only equipment thats required is a heat gun, costing around Rs.1300.
Is there any reliable mobile phone service centers in Bangalore which do just the screen glass replacement, as opposed to the entire front unit?
If there are no service centers, was thinking of trying this on my own, has anyone here tried this before?
The screen & outer glass are fused together. Even if you manage to separate them using a heat gun, it'll be extremely difficult to fuse the new glass to the screen as you'll lose the adhesive quality. Another problem is that any dirt or dust getting between the screen and glass with ruin your display experience. It's sad how manufacturers make money this way, but getting a new screen is recommended. After all, like they say for cara applies here as well 'factory fit is factory fit'.
Note for the mods: apologies for the consecutive posts, but somehow the multi-quote feature ain't working on my phone right now! I've done it successfully in the past but refused to work this time!

Last edited by aah78 : 16th November 2013 at 04:22. Reason: Posts merged. Please use QUOTE+ / " " MULTI-QUOTE when responding to multiple posts. Thanks!
Old 16th November 2013, 10:36   #16940
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantbhatia84 View Post
IMO installing any recovery with 4.3 will require you to re-root your phone as 4.3 overwrites the existing recovery, kernel and a host of other stuff. My S4 was rooted with stock ROM but after the OTA update to 4.3 I lost the root and custom recovery - so i guess it'll be the same for HTC as well.
That is a given, which I have not done so far. However, the Exclamation Mark and Triangle seems to indicate that S-off is enough to block the stock recovery. I have posted on XDA.Let is see.
Old 16th November 2013, 10:40   #16941
Senior - BHPian

Sigh the update is still not out for the HTC One Dual SIM variant :(
Old 16th November 2013, 13:28   #16942
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post

Scenario 1: You have been using WA for a while with the registered sim. Later you just remove the sim card and use wifi for data, WA would work fine.

Scenario 2: Likewise, but you insert another sim card, WA would ask you to re verify your number.

This is what I have experienced.
I have a different experience. My Whatsapp is registered with an old SIM which I don't use anymore. I've changed SIMs twice in the last 4 months and was not asked to re-verify the number. But, two weeks back I had to reinstall Whatsapp and was asked to re-verify the number. I gave my old number and it promptly restored my message history. As far as I know, no verification SMS was sent to my old number (which is now with my father).
Old 17th November 2013, 01:08   #16943
BHPian

I've been using the LG g2 for the last three weeks after going through multiple phones for about two months (xperia z, followed by the Samsung S4 that died in two days).

The Best part of the phone is the phenomenal battery life (screenshots atrached), the awesome camera and the great call quality. Maybe I'm getting old but it's the first of maybe 8 Android phones I've used in the last 4 years that I haven't rooted or messed about with. The processor is excellent and the phone does everything I need a phone to do.

This is a sample of a night picture taken while walking.

Name:  ForumRunner_20131117_010655.png
Views: 869
Size:  620.1 KB

Check out the battery life I get:

Name:  ForumRunner_20131117_010508.png
Views: 838
Size:  108.3 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20131117_010525.png
Views: 848
Size:  72.2 KB
Old 17th November 2013, 08:29   #16944
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
I've been using the LG g2 for the last three weeks after going through multiple phones for about two months (xperia z, followed by the Samsung S4 that died in two days).

The Best part of the phone is the phenomenal battery life (screenshots atrached), the awesome camera and the great call quality.

This is a sample of a night picture taken while walking.
G2 is a fantastic phone. That camera shot is fantastic for a night shot.

I am a fan of this phone, but I am not purchasing it due to extremely slow updates from LG as a manufacturer in general.

Last edited by F150 : 17th November 2013 at 08:39.
Old 17th November 2013, 10:17   #16945
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Sigh the update is still not out for the HTC One Dual SIM variant :(
Are you sure. Check on the XDA and AndroidCentral forums. Mine is a Sprint Dual mode (CDMA + GSM) unit.

Incidentally I hear that ROMs with the reformat removed are also posted. Are these the Deodexed ones?
Old 17th November 2013, 11:37   #16946
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post

G2 is a fantastic phone. That camera shot is fantastic for a night shot.

I am a fan of this phone, but I am not purchasing it due to extremely slow updates from LG as a manufacturer in general.
Yes. LG has a reputation for never updating their phones. Of course, the custom rom scene over on xda developers is pretty vibrant, and cm11 in alpha avatar has made it to the g2.

That said, I love LG's stock ui and how customizable it is. And for the first time in a long time, I'm not installing new custom roms on my phone. I found a vanilla Android theme and so the stock home screen on top on LG Optimus ui is my perfect rom. The only hitch is that some of the apps I use, including the one for the Polar Loop activity band only work on Samsung S4 and the beta is not available for anything else since the g2 is still stuck on 4.2.2.

My only complaint apart from the updates is the lack of a memory card slot but given that I still have about 6gigs of space, it does work OK for the moment.

Attached the stock home screen

Name:  ForumRunner_20131117_113737.png
Views: 787
Size:  266.9 KB
Old 17th November 2013, 12:42   #16947
BHPian

OK who tried My camera MOD for the LG G2??

Apparently drops frames in low light, but not anymore..

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2471900
Old 18th November 2013, 18:22   #16948
BHPian

Hello Folks!

Looking out for a phone (suddenly!)

I am used to my Dell Streak ( 5" inch screen ) for past 2+years!
( this phone served me just fine - and died suddenly today )
Did a lot of modding/customROM antics & kept it fine-to-run till date.
Looks like it has developed a problem with internal memory - which can be corrected but, will take some time & effort from my side.

/I am not selling it or anything - but willing to pick up a phone for now & thinking that it can serve as a good backup phone shared in the house (after I am back on my Streak).

I have looked at the options in market now, and feel that Canvas A 110 aka Canvas 2- is really the BEST bang for buck considering the 9k price tag.

I definitely do not want to spend over 10K on a phone.

I want a similar sized phone (to my streak5) - better powered, reliable & supported (by xda) product.
Plan to use it stock till I have the time to mod it.
So far - the support for this phone looks good. Guess it will continue - at least for another year (minimum) -considering it has dual core 1Ghz/512 MBram (min. required for Kitkat 4.4 ), etc. Good enough with that regard.
Any limitations?

Do you guys agree or want to suggest me some other option?

I have a day to decide.

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 18th November 2013 at 18:28.
Old 18th November 2013, 18:44   #16949
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post

Do you guys agree or want to suggest me some other option?

I have a day to decide.

Ace.
Your choice is fine - Canvas 2 though you may also consider Xolo Q700 under 10k (which is a quad core phone).

Review: Xolo Q700 - A Value for Money Quad Core Workhorse!

http://anmolksharma.blogspot.in/2013...oney-quad.html

Also If you are willing to spend 1-2k more then also consider Micromax A110Q Canvas 2 Plus.

Review: Micromax A110Q Canvas 2 Plus – An Excellent Value for Money smartphone

http://anmolksharma.blogspot.in/2013...as-2-plus.html
Old 18th November 2013, 19:08   #16950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Your choice is fine - Canvas 2 though you may also consider Xolo Q700 under 10k (which is a quad core phone).

Review: Xolo Q700 - A Value for Money Quad Core Workhorse!

Also If you are willing to spend 1-2k more then also consider Micromax A110Q Canvas 2 Plus.
thank you!
No Xolo - because:
1. No active support on XDA.
2. 4.5"
thought of going for it (only) because:
1. Quad-core + 1GB ram.

Opinion: Is A110Q really worth the extra 2.7K?
Note:
I really don't want to play all the "latest" high graphics games.
Nor do I want any high end processing done in this phone (I mean- the Quad doesn't have an edge over Dual).

Just the regular stuff - net/whatsapp/calls etc. + good battery,

Saw your reviews.
Thanks! (good job with the blog too!)

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 18th November 2013 at 19:10.

Most Viewed