Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2013, 17:53   #16996
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

The local shopkeeper in delhi has promised me a 32gb variant, white colour of the Nexus 5 tomorrow for 32k. He already had the 16 gb variant in stock but I wanted the 32gb one. Hopefully will get the phone tomorrow.
Old 20th November 2013, 18:08   #16997
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Motorola returning to Indian smartphone market in Jan 2014:
Very interesting. Although markets tend not to be impressed by people who go and come --- they might come and go!
Old 20th November 2013, 18:40   #16998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The local shopkeeper in delhi has promised me a 32gb variant, white colour of the Nexus 5 tomorrow for 32k. He already had the 16 gb variant in stock but I wanted the 32gb one. Hopefully will get the phone tomorrow.

You mean the Rest of World version -D821? This EU, Asia ver trades away a UMTS band, CDMA, and US LTE bands for local Eurasian LTE bands).

Pretty resourceful guy, considering Playstore deliveries are starting Sunday-24th. Suddenly my wait seems to have lengthened. Please also check for India warranty. All the best and please keep us updated.
Old 20th November 2013, 19:21   #16999
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Very interesting. Although markets tend not to be impressed by people who go and come --- they might come and go!
I don't think they'll return as a full-fledged market player ever again. Their India operations might be on the lines of the Google Play Store model, restricted to select devices. Who knows, they might sell through the Play Store itself given they're Google-owned now.

Their new phones are interesting though, no doubt.
Old 20th November 2013, 19:23   #17000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
markets tend not to be impressed by people who go and come --- they might come and go!
This will hurt them, but they have a trick up their sleeve. That is great specs , latest Android at a reasonable cost.

That is, If they are able to cost in India comparable to cost in US (without contracts).
Old 20th November 2013, 19:25   #17001
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Greetings Android Gurus,

I have a question related to Rooting & Root Access.

I am currently using Samsung Galaxy S Advance. I have learnt and found out the way to root the device. Now i need to know is, Main benefits of rooting apart from custom roms?
Harshal, if you aren't sure about the benefits of rooting why do you want to risk it? Although simple, if done incorrectly, it can brick your phone!
Quote:
1. Can i remove all the unwanted samsung blaotware? How?
First and foremost, try to 'disable' the system apps you don't use. Setting > Apps. No root required. I had disabled almost all the Samsung & Google apps on my Ace.

Quote:
2. I hate the touch wiz launcher. I am currently using the Nova Launcher, with root access can i get rid of Touch Wiz? Someone told me even with Nova in use, TW is still occupying the memory space?
Try Zeam launcher. At ~400k, its super lightweight and highly customizable. It was my fav launcher on Ace. I am not sure if you can disable the home launcher though, check on that.

Quote:
3. What are the other suggestions to have my phone work more smoothly? It lags like nothing i have ever seen. My sister's Galaxy ACE lags lot less than this.
Settings > Dev options
Window animation scale - animation off
Transition animation scale - animation off
Animation duration scale - animation off

Quote:
Initially i thought only my S advance lagged, but we have 3 of these in friends & family and all complaining same. And none are "power users"
One more thing, Uninstall FB app, FB messenger if you have them - use a bookmark and access it through browser - you will lose the push notifications but gain some valuable RAM for smoother functioning of your phone.

See if these work for you.
Old 20th November 2013, 20:52   #17002
Senior - BHPian

Nexus 4 users, get ready to taste Kitkat - http://www.androidcentral.com/nexus-...s-are-starting
If you are too eager and do not want to wait, Kitkat for Nexus 4 is available for manual download on google's website - https://developers.google.com/androi...es#occamkrt16s
Old 20th November 2013, 21:23   #17003
BHPian

As we all know that Samsung has released Android 4.3 for Note 2. But I have not received any OTA update. Can other Note 2 users confirm whether they have received the uodate?
Old 20th November 2013, 22:03   #17004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
As we all know that Samsung has released Android 4.3 for Note 2. But I have not received any OTA update. Can other Note 2 users confirm whether they have received the uodate?
As per various tech blogs, it's been paused due to issues cropping up. Link posted a few posts above. Replace the *** with t I n y u r l
Old 20th November 2013, 22:08   #17005
BHPian

Quote:

Had been checking my device for an OTA update since yesterday, finally got one and updated around 2 hours back.
Old 20th November 2013, 22:19   #17006
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
As per various tech blogs, it's been paused due to issues cropping up. Link posted a few posts above. Replace the *** with t I n y u r l
Samsung have paused the update for Samsung S3 which was buggy. I dont think they have stopped update for Galaxy Note 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
Had been checking my device for an OTA update since yesterday, finally got one and updated around 2 hours back.
But I have not received OTA update till now. By the way how is the experience of 4.3?
Old 20th November 2013, 22:48   #17007
BHPian

Pretty compelling deal for someone who wants an android phone on a budget. With a qualcomm SOC.

http://www.saholic.com/mobile-phones...mi-496-1006864
Old 20th November 2013, 23:26   #17008
BHPian

Quote:
But I have not received OTA update till now. By the way how is the experience of 4.3?
You might want to try and update via kies. I tried doing the same yesterday and it was showing the update where as my phone was not showing any OTA updates. However I did not go through with the kies update since my battery was low.

4.3 seems to be running well..subtle changes have been made everywhere.
Old 21st November 2013, 02:07   #17009
Senior - BHPian

Updated to KitKat ( Android 4.4 ) on Google Nexus 4. Was not patient enough to wait for the OTA updates. Hence got it directly from Google's website.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1399444_670705386303394_1531539883_o.jpg

Last edited by amalji : 21st November 2013 at 02:08.
Old 21st November 2013, 05:57   #17010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Updated to KitKat ( Android 4.4 ) on Google Nexus 4. Was not patient enough to wait for the OTA updates. Hence got it directly from Google's website.

Attachment 1169140
Could you please tell me the procedure of manually updating the phone?

Most Viewed