Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2013, 14:41   #17206
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I have seen several scanner apps in the Play Store like Handy Scanner etc. What exactly do these apps do? i.e. why do I need an app to scan something - how is it different from taking a photo on the camera other than possibly an option to convert it into a pdf instead of a jpeg. Is there anything extra the scanner apps do?
Some of these scanner apps act as OCRs through the camera, but the character recognition is patchy at best. Even my ancient Nokia E-72 had such an app. It could read names/numbers off business cards and save directly to contacts, but it had no practical use due to the effort involved, and it barely ever got it right completely or reliably.
Old 9th December 2013, 15:42   #17207
Lij
BHPian

For Samsung smartphone owners who don't want to void the warranty on their phones by installing custom ROMs, good news that atleast Samsung is considering the Kitkat update for its mid and lower variant phones.

http://www.sammobile.com/2013/12/06/...-cost-devices/
Old 9th December 2013, 16:03   #17208
Senior - BHPian

Anyone own a Lenovo phone? Considering buying the P780.
Old 9th December 2013, 17:02   #17209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Some of these scanner apps act as OCRs through the camera, but the character recognition is patchy at best. Even my ancient Nokia E-72 had such an app. It could read names/numbers off business cards and save directly to contacts, but it had no practical use due to the effort involved, and it barely ever got it right completely or reliably.
I am using a scanner called "Cam Scanner". I was also as doubtful as you when I started using it. But now a days I use them regularly for taking white board scans, business card scans etc. They have some auto enhance mechanism built in which optimizes the image from camera and the final results are very very good. Do give it a try !
Old 9th December 2013, 17:13   #17210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post

I am using a scanner called "Cam Scanner".
Thats a very good app. I've been using it for last 2 years. You can also save all the images you scan in the gallery after changing settings.
Old 9th December 2013, 22:22   #17211
Lij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
Anyone own a Lenovo phone? Considering buying the P780.
Don't own one, but incidentally got to check out a friend's phone which was bought just yesterday.
If the weight of the phone and a slightly reflective screen which doesn't give the good viewing angles doesn't bother you much, then this is a pretty good phone with the best battery life (4000 mAH) for the price that you pay (IIRC it was 18500 INR).
Old 10th December 2013, 12:10   #17212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lij View Post
Don't own one, but incidentally got to check out a friend's phone which was bought just yesterday.
If the weight of the phone and a slightly reflective screen which doesn't give the good viewing angles doesn't bother you much, then this is a pretty good phone with the best battery life (4000 mAH) for the price that you pay (IIRC it was 18500 INR).
Was looking for a largish phone (4.5-5 inch) so am fine with the weight. The P780 onboard chip is only 4Gb. Can apps/games be installed directly onto the external SD Card?
Old 10th December 2013, 12:55   #17213
BHPian

Quote:
Was looking for a largish phone (4.5-5 inch) so am fine with the weight. The P780 onboard chip is only 4Gb. Can apps/games be installed directly onto the external SD Card?
Last Sunday only I bought Lenovo P780 - 8gb phone @ 18300/- .
My wife is using this phone.
Although phone is bit heavy performance with standard applications is really good. Even display quality is descent. Using 2 sim cards, Configured 1 mailbox, 1 gmail account and all standard social apps. Using most of the times with wifi but did not find sluggish in couple of days.
Did not checked apps/games installation on SD card yet, will check and revert on apps installation.
Offcourse battery is king of all.

Cheers!
Old 10th December 2013, 13:28   #17214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lij View Post
For Samsung smartphone owners who don't want to void the warranty on their phones by installing custom ROMs, good news that atleast Samsung is considering the Kitkat update for its mid and lower variant phones.

http://www.sammobile.com/2013/12/06/...-cost-devices/
Any custom ROM for galaxy tab 3 - SM - T311?
Old 10th December 2013, 13:48   #17215
Senior - BHPian

After experiencing Sync issues with Calender its Contacts this time. I am not sure how can i sort this? Same clear app data method?

But i have added quite a few contacts in my Phone's data since the last successful sync. Any pointers?

Name:  Screenshot_20131210134108.png
Views: 645
Size:  89.3 KB

Regards,
Old 10th December 2013, 14:51   #17216
Lij
BHPian

Quote:
That is one limitation, but even out of 4GB please check how much is available to the user as some memory goes for OS and manufacture specific UIs. In my S2 even though internal memory is 16GB, but available is only 11.5 GB as the Samung touchwiz requires lot of memory.
Most of the apps/games can be moved to external memory card once installed, but not all of the apps/games support it. For example, google drive or WhatsApp cannot be moved to external SD card.

Also I think you have option of 8GB internal memory as well.

Last edited by Lij : 10th December 2013 at 15:04.
Old 10th December 2013, 20:11   #17217
BANNED

Started shopping with a budget of 15 K, and shortlised nexus 7 and Sony SP. ;-(

My reference is wife''s galaxy 9070 Advance, which has 12 gb or so of built in user memory and a good screen. I don't want dual SIM phones.

I excluded gionee E6, xolo 1000S etc due to lack of custom Rom and unclear service support. Ditto for Samsung grand quattro (no custom ROM on XDA).

Have I missed any model? Is it worth waiting till January?

Also, why can't I find hardware on my play store?
Old 10th December 2013, 20:18   #17218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Started shopping with a budget of 15 K, and shortlised nexus 7 and Sony SP. ;-(

My reference is wife''s galaxy 9070 Advance, which has 12 gb or so of built in user memory and a good screen. I don't want dual SIM phones.

I excluded gionee E6, xolo 1000S etc due to lack of custom Rom and unclear service support. Ditto for Samsung grand quattro (no custom ROM on XDA).

Have I missed any model? Is it worth waiting till January?

Also, why can't I find hardware on my play store?
The Nexus 7 can't be used as a phone. Check out some of the Lenovo phones (p780) or even the newly launched HTC desire 501. I wouldn't recommend the Chinese ones. My brother's lava is having a few issues.

If you are open to moving platforms, the Lumia 720 and the 625 are great phones too.
Old 10th December 2013, 20:29   #17219
Senior - BHPian

Nexus7 2012 atleast is too clunky to be used as a phone.
Old 10th December 2013, 20:47   #17220
BANNED

My bad. I meant nexus 4. Of course, if it weren't for the budgetary constraints, would have got it by now.

I avoided nonmainstream brands and certain specific models due to lack of customisation; so will not consider other platforms.

Will check the 501.

Most Viewed