Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Looks like Nokia is not done with Android yet

http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/10/5...phone-normandy
Old 11th December 2013, 15:25   #17222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
My bad. I meant nexus 4. Of course, if it weren't for the budgetary constraints, would have got it by now.

I avoided nonmainstream brands and certain specific models due to lack of customisation; so will not consider other platforms.

Will check the 501.
Rumour says Moto G from Google owned Motorola would be selling in India from January 2014. Reviews are good (actually too good for the price) and this would be a phone with Android 4.4 Kitkat. A budget phone, already selling in ebay.in for 15999 (no warranty though). So you may want to wait a bit to see if it is really coming to India in January.
Old 11th December 2013, 15:57   #17223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
My bad. I meant nexus 4. Of course, if it weren't for the budgetary constraints, would have got it by now.

I avoided nonmainstream brands and certain specific models due to lack of customisation; so will not consider other platforms.
The Nexus 4 is still a great buy. There are good deals on EBay or Swappa - if you can get someone to get it from the US.

Best part is that you can get the official Google updates - it has even got 4.4.2 now. And the custom ROM scene is amazing for this phone.
Old 11th December 2013, 20:49   #17224
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I am thinking of getting a Nexus 5 from the US. One question - Will I get the standard 1 year warranty if I buy the phone from US? Is Nexus 5 readily available in India (not on Flipkart but physical shops)?
Old 11th December 2013, 20:59   #17225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lij View Post
That is one limitation, but even out of 4GB please check how much is available to the user as some memory goes for OS and manufacture specific UIs. In my S2 even though internal memory is 16GB, but available is only 11.5 GB as the Samung touchwiz requires lot of memory.
Most of the apps/games can be moved to external memory card once installed, but not all of the apps/games support it. For example, google drive or WhatsApp cannot be moved to external SD card.

Also I think you have option of 8GB internal memory as well.
Ok, 8Gb is very handy. Am on a blackberry now and getting quite bored of it, not too mention its poor camera. the only good thing about it is that you can drop it and the phone's still fine, but with a touch screen its always bad.
Old 11th December 2013, 21:53   #17226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Hi Guys,

I am thinking of getting a Nexus 5 from the US. One question - Will I get the standard 1 year warranty if I buy the phone from US? Is Nexus 5 readily available in India (not on Flipkart but physical shops)?
The warranties for Nexus devices purchased directly from Google Play are only valid in the country it's purchased in. And LG India is your repair center. The Nexus 5 availability swings every week. 2 weeks back white was available almost immediately, now it is on 'add to wishlist'. Physical mainline phone retailers don't stock, as far as I know.
Old 11th December 2013, 22:39   #17227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
the only good thing about it is that you can drop it and the phone's still fine
I liked it. Reminded me of nokia of good old days which though breaks into pieces, still can be fixed. But both brands are almost extinct now! Probably if only phones get damaged when dropped, they can actually survive in the market as users buy new ones!
Old 12th December 2013, 06:47   #17228
BHPian

Received upgrade to KitKat 4.4.2 for my nexus 4 last night. Can't say what's new so far. No reduction in free memory, so the upgrade isn't heavy. There was an optimisation process that ran for all 134 apps installed on my phone. I really like the fact that Google keeps nexus 4 up to date within days of launching latest OS upgrade.
Old 12th December 2013, 09:27   #17229
BHPian

Ordered myself a 32GB Nexus 7 TAB for 11K. Waited for GOSF and it paid off in a sweet 1K discount
Old 12th December 2013, 11:22   #17230
BANNED

I have an interesting problem. I bought myself a new laptop on Windows 8.1 Now there seem to be no drivers for the htc range (Sprint One in my case) for Win 8.1 Following Hetal I did install some stuff, I can access the two folders but adb / fastboot see nothing. xda also does not help much. I guess I will wait for some time.When KitKat comes round I may be forced to use my wife's Win7 laptop.
Old 12th December 2013, 11:55   #17231
BHPian

Hi BHPians
Can anyone tell me which is the best available android app for keeping a record of all services and fuel fill ups?
BTW I am currently using aCar on my phone.

Last edited by shahbaz.k : 12th December 2013 at 12:18.
Old 12th December 2013, 12:41   #17232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Now there seem to be no drivers for the htc range (Sprint One in my case) for Win 8.1
Just install VirualBox and create a Windows 7 VM. That ways you can attach HTC phone to this VM (Win 8.1 wotn "See"phone plugged into USB. but Win 7 will).

I work very closely with developers in these organizations and none of these have prioritized 8.1 support yet (for developers).
Old 12th December 2013, 14:00   #17233
Senior - BHPian

Rovio introduces Angry Bird Go! - A racing Angry Bird game for all platforms!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ybirdsgo&hl=en
Old 12th December 2013, 14:15   #17234
Senior - BHPian

Nexus 4 bricked

Background
- I'm using PAC 4.2.2 ever since I bought my Nexus 4 and was quite happy with the ROM until yesterday
- I started losing out the GSM signal for the past 2 weeks, it would intermittently go off and then come back by itself after a few seconds, at times few minutes (never thought it could be a ROM issue, is it?)
- Google started pushing its update and I had to manually stop data for Google Services from Settings -> Data Usage

Problem
Yesterday while updating Angry Birds from the Play Store the Play store crashed. I tried to open it but it would continue to crash as soon as it would try to load it.

I rebooted the device however since then its stuck on the google logo and doesn't proceed.

I have TWRP recovery installed and when it boots in to (Fastboot is it called?) it shows Secure Boot - enabled and Lock State - unlocked.

Few foolish things that I tried yesterday (in desperation) that might have already screwed up my phone beyond recovery....
1. Wiped Cache and Dalvik Cache and tried to reboot but it didn't work
2. Flashed the new PAC 4.2.3 version that I had downloaded way back but still no success
3. Tried to take a backup from TWRP recovery however while restoring it fails and shows the message 'Restore Failed'

I really wish to recover the media that is in the phone and contacts if possible.

I have Google Nexus 4 Toolkit (not sure of the version but its like 8-10 months old) installed in my laptop and if I connect the phone and start the toolkit it recognizes the phone against adb (shows a serial number) but when I try to back it up it stops at 'Waiting for adb mode...'

I'm a total noob when it comes to recovery etc. so would really appreciate any help that leads to data recovery in my phone somehow, thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 14:37   #17235
BHPian

Re: Nexus 4 bricked

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I really wish to recover the media that is in the phone and contacts if possible.
Go into recovery, do a clean wipe and freshly install the ROM (any other ROM will do too). Media will not be affected as long as you don't wipe (format) the storage. Contacts are backed up by Google, so you should get them right back when you register again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks