Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2014, 14:01   #17506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Guys how is the newly launched Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 ?

Does the price of 23k justify the features and specs? I was looking for a replacement for my ageing Samsung S Advance, and Grand 2 seem to fit my requirements well.
Hi,

I checked out the Grand 2 yesterday and honestly if you ask me, it isn't worth the asking. You might as well shell out a little bit more and get the Nexus 4.

Vanilla OS is the best form of android if you ask me. Also in that range if you are not particularly keen on Samsung I would advise you look at Lenovo K900 as well. Its being sold for around 23k in retail stores.

Do consider LG Nexus 4 & Lenovo K900 before jumping for Grand 2.

Regards,

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 30th January 2014 at 14:19.
Old 30th January 2014, 14:05   #17507
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
I read on net that Google will discontinue its Nexus range in 2015. Now they will sell Google Play edition devices. Here is the link-:

m.timesofindia.com/tech/tech-news/hardware/Google-to-kill-Nexus-range-in-2015-Report/articleshow/29502971.cms
That would be very sad if it were to happen! I just bought the Nexus 5 and its the fastest android phone i've used till date (had the Nexus S and Nexus 4 for a short period). Play edition devices are priced as much as the regular edition with bloatware and won't have the advantages of the Nexus range (fast updates,reasonable pricing)
Old 30th January 2014, 14:21   #17508
BHPian

Hi,

My htc Desire V had developed a problem and was restarting every half an hour. A week back I got a Lenovo A850 as replacement. Since then htc has been off for 7 days. Now when I try to switching it on to get some data, it acts dead. No response whatsoever. Removed the battery, SIM, MMC, still dead. Can someone help ?

About Lenovo A850

Pros :

VFM, 1.3 Quadcore and 1GB RAM for Rs. 13k
Large screen
Smooth touch
Great Battery (2250 mAh)
No lag (After a respectable number of apps installed)
Clear voice
seamless plays HD videos

Cons :

Display (200 ppi) - not an eyesore though
Apps cannot be moved to MMC (You can use Folder Mount- but I prefer not to)
Low usable internal storage (2.1 GB)
Average Camera quality
Difficult getting accessories like back cover etc

Regards
Old 30th January 2014, 14:34   #17509
Distinguished - BHPian

Flipkart Nexus 7 2012

Out of date, right? But are the prices worth it? (16Gb, 9,999; 32Gb, 10,999). Link.

(and when it says "wi-fi," that means that you don't get phone connection? These things confuse me!)
Old 30th January 2014, 14:35   #17510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
That would be very sad if it were to happen! I just bought the Nexus 5 and its the fastest android phone i've used till date (had the Nexus S and Nexus 4 for a short period). Play edition devices are priced as much as the regular edition with bloatware and won't have the advantages of the Nexus range (fast updates,reasonable pricing)
Yes I completely agree with you. The Google play edition devices are much expensive compared to nexus devices. I am just hoping that this rumour just stays a rumour only. Google should not discontinue Nexus devices as they are doing very well especially in India.
Old 30th January 2014, 14:46   #17511
JLS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Flipkart Nexus 7 2012

Out of date, right? But are the prices worth it? (16Gb, 9,999; 32Gb, 10,999). Link.

(and when it says "wi-fi," that means that you don't get phone connection? These things confuse me!)
Yes, you do not get 3G connection with these models.
Anyways, even model with 3G did not have a calling facility (just 3G data connection).
One another drawback, no slot for memory card.

However, despite this shortcoming and if you are going to use it at home ( on wifi), this is a great tab.
Compared to Samsung tab(3100), this one is completely lag free, better resolution, latest android available (currently upgradable to 4.4.2) and great experience.
I recommend going for 32 gb model.

I have Nexus 32 GB (with 3G ) - bought from flipkart 2-3months back, price with 12750(with stanchart card discount)!

I also have Samsung 3100(a widely popular model), hance able to give you comparison.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
JLS
Old 30th January 2014, 15:05   #17512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Hi,

My htc Desire V had developed a problem and was restarting every half an hour. A week back I got a Lenovo A850 as replacement. Since then htc has been off for 7 days. Now when I try to switching it on to get some data, it acts dead. No response whatsoever. Removed the battery, SIM, MMC, still dead. Can someone help ?
Ditto problem faced by my friend. Went to HTC service center and they tried to reset the phone couple of times. No luck. Finally he bought a new phone and gave it to them for repair / replacement under warranty.
Old 30th January 2014, 15:36   #17513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
Ditto problem faced by my friend. Went to HTC service center and they tried to reset the phone couple of times. No luck. Finally he bought a new phone and gave it to them for repair / replacement under warranty.
I tried resetting as well, both soft & hard. But nothing changed.

The worst part is that this started just after the warranty got over. Will now have to sell it off to a local store for peanuts.
Old 30th January 2014, 16:09   #17514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Hi,

I checked out the Grand 2 yesterday and honestly if you ask me, it isn't worth the asking. You might as well shell out a little bit more and get the Nexus 4.

Vanilla OS is the best form of android if you ask me. Also in that range if you are not particularly keen on Samsung I would advise you look at Lenovo K900 as well. Its being sold for around 23k in retail stores.

Do consider LG Nexus 4 & Lenovo K900 before jumping for Grand 2.

Regards,
I don't think LG Nexus or Lenovo comes with a 5.25 inch screen. Screen size was the biggest consideration for me.
Old 30th January 2014, 16:22   #17515
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think LG Nexus or Lenovo comes with a 5.25 inch screen. Screen size was the biggest consideration for me.
If budget is not a constraint, then may consider Oppo N1. Pure android experience. Additionally have the option of switching to CyanogenMod or Pacman ROM! Good features like swivel camera, O touch and remote key!
Old 30th January 2014, 17:00   #17516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys how is the newly launched Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 ?

Does the price of 23k justify the features and specs? I was looking for a replacement for my ageing Samsung S Advance, and Grand 2 seem to fit my requirements well.
Grand 2 is not worth its price at the moment. If you really want it, I would suggest to wait for a couple of months for the price to come down to a more reasonable level.

If you can compromise on screen size, have a look at S4 mini.

If you are particular about large screen, have a look at Xperia C.

Rohan
Old 30th January 2014, 17:07   #17517
Senior - BHPian

Thad,

Its small and a bit heavy. But better on a budget than others in that price. Else the 2013 if you'd like the latest n the best etc.
Old 30th January 2014, 18:56   #17518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
I read on net that Google will discontinue its Nexus range in 2015. Now they will sell Google Play edition devices. Here is the link-:
m.timesofindia.com/tech/tech-news/hardware/Google-to-kill-Nexus-range-in-2015-Report/articleshow/29502971.cms
Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
As a Nexus user, I really wish that doesn't happen.

That apart, I would say that it is only a rumour - one blogger having written about it. Also, now that Google has sold off Motorola mobility, the chances of killing of the Nexus program are pretty slim in my analysis. If they continued to have Moto, then it made sense to scrap the Nexus program, introduce products like Moto G (which in my mind is a junior Nexus) and work with other handset manufacturers to have them launch 'Google Play' editions of Samsung xxx or HTC yyy or LG zzz. Now that they have sold off Moto, I think it makes sense for them to continue to continue the Nexus program.
Old 30th January 2014, 20:01   #17519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Gear View Post
As a Nexus user, I really wish that doesn't happen.

That apart, I would say that it is only a rumour - one blogger having written about it. Also, now that Google has sold off Motorola mobility, the chances of killing of the Nexus program are pretty slim in my analysis.
* Google sells Motorola to Lenovo
* Samsung signs 10 years cross-licence patent agreement with Google
* Samsung agrees with Google to scale back development of apps and services like touchwiz, etc

Though these may seem to be independent, a deeper look may reveal more than what it meets our eyes. Basically, mutual give and take between Samsung and Google and win-win for both. However, this may not have any impact on Nexus serious as Google has only withdrawn from hardware business to focus more on ecosystem. Soon we may expect pure android experience from Samsung devices too.

Since Samsung being the market leader in android based devices, it is quite possible that they could have had an hand in the Moto deal.
Old 30th January 2014, 20:06   #17520
BHPian

Quote:
Won't even the Nexus 5 cut it for you? I would seriously recommend it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
If budget is not a constraint, then may consider Oppo N1. Pure android experience. Additionally have the option of switching to CyanogenMod or Pacman ROM! Good features like swivel camera, O touch and remote key!
I would be wary of spending that kind of money (40k ) on an unknown Chinese company's phone.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks