Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2014, 15:18   #17671
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

What happens if I use a higher amperage USB charger on my phone ? IIRC , my phone has a 700 milliamps charger ( don't have a charger lying aorund now).

If I use this http://www.flipkart.com/usams-car-ch...a-d9f3898e3247 , any harmful effects ?
Old 17th February 2014, 15:59   #17672
BANNED

I have used a 1000mA charger in place of an 800mA charger with no ill effects
Old 17th February 2014, 16:11   #17673
Senior - BHPian

IIRC, most iPhone users have often used the ipad charger interchangeably without any issue.

Download a current measuring app to see what actually happens. on my S3, it stays at 1A irrespective of a higher charger rating. lower chargers give lower current. so nothing should happen.
Old 17th February 2014, 16:14   #17674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
What happens if I use a higher amperage USB charger on my phone ? IIRC , my phone has a 700 milliamps charger ( don't have a charger lying aorund now).

If I use this http://www.flipkart.com/usams-car-ch...a-d9f3898e3247 , any harmful effects ?
It should be ok, as long as the thing can can be trusted to regulate the voltage properly. That is what matters. However, using charger with lower current rating than stock, will increase charging time.

Have a look at car chargers on Fasttech.com. Much cheaper than FK. Looks like the same brand too. But just remember that their normal free shipping takes quite a bit of time. Maybe around 20 - 30 days.

Last edited by Raccoon : 17th February 2014 at 16:30.
Old 17th February 2014, 16:25   #17675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Should not have any impact whatsoever.

A phone would not draw more amperage from higher amperage charger *.

Charger just provides voltage (I.e. potential). How much current would be drawn is determined by phone (via DC resistance).

*I am not an electrical engineer and this is based on what I remember from my classes in 80s, so take it with a grain of salt.
Old 17th February 2014, 16:48   #17676
Senior - BHPian

Regarding the trend of manufacturers forcing us to opt for phones with non-removable batteries, here is an interesting read:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7...ttery-goodbye/

The article itself is rubbish. Its the comments below that are worth noting. What is more noteworthy is that it seems even if you switch off your phone, you can still be tracked, as long as the battery is in.

Make no mistake, despite whatever rubbish the manufacturers and marketing foxes dish out, and how many paid articles they sponsor - non removable batteries are a sinister plot to make more money and possibly also allow big bro to ALWAYS keep a watch on you.

I can almost hear some people arguing that it does not matter as they aren't involved in anything illegal. Then the point is completely missed, and to them I'd just say, you are blissfully unaware of the implications.

A smartphone is possibly a privacy's worst foe - not only can your location always be tracked, but the microphone and camera may also be used covertly.

Strangely some people think that non-removable batteries don't matter much because they don't use the phone long enough for it to matter, or that batteries never fail within 2 or 3 years. I have personally seen batteries requiring replacement within months. Its all about chance/luck/usage. It may not have happened to your earlier, but that does not mean it can't happen! Also, your phone could resale value.

Its upto smart customers to reject products that remove options like these. Its not about just if it affects you, but the trend is wrong in principle. I would never buy a product that has a non removable battery or memory. However, admittedly, the temptation can be big if something like a Moto G comes out at the current price, or a Nexus 7 (2012) at 8k. But unless this much temptation is there, I would personally never touch such devices. My current logic is simple - if it takes away value and functionality in the form of non user-removable parts, the product has to be significantly discounted.

Last edited by Raccoon : 17th February 2014 at 16:51.
Old 17th February 2014, 16:58   #17677
Distinguished - BHPian

Absolutely right, Racoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Should not have any impact whatsoever.

A phone would not draw more amperage from higher amperage charger *.

Charger just provides voltage (I.e. potential). How much current would be drawn is determined by phone (via DC resistance).

*I am not an electrical engineer and this is based on what I remember from my classes in 80s, so take it with a grain of salt.
Another way to put this: amps, in this context, describes the available power, but the device will only draw what it needs.

This answer is not intended to be technically acurate, but a simple practical hint for this application only.
Old 17th February 2014, 18:37   #17678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Bought the Moto G 16GB for my wife and I am impressed with the phone (Coming from a Nokia/Symbian/WP8 background).
The lucky draw results for the first day offer on flipkart is out, just now!
http://www.flipkart.com/st/motogluckydraw

Ok, I had got a clue in the morning, when I got store credit of 13999 in my flipkart wallet
Old 17th February 2014, 19:25   #17679
BHPian

Congrats bejoy! I was eagerly waiting for the lucky draw results. I didn't win :(
Old 17th February 2014, 20:32   #17680
Senior - BHPian

Myself and wifey have recently got addicted to the Candy Crush Saga game. We play it on my Samsung Galaxy S Advance and Samsung Galaxy Tab2.

The game causes a very rapid battery drain and causes the handset to heat up to noticeable levels.

Why is this happening ? Is this normal ? Is there a remedy for this ?

Rohan
Old 17th February 2014, 22:20   #17681
BHPian

Quote:

Ok, I had got a clue in the morning, when I got store credit of 13999 in my flipkart wallet
Congrats BTW was it a TBHP contest by any chance? I can see 2-3 names which are familiar here on this site
Old 18th February 2014, 08:09   #17682
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Ok, I had got a clue in the morning
Hi, congratulations for the lucky draw. Are you using a screen protector for the phone? If yes then which one? My phone is due in a couple of days. I already have the Moto G flip cover.
Old 18th February 2014, 11:22   #17683
Lij
BHPian

Quote:

Congrats bejoy!!! I missed out, was waiting for this results to be announced for making some more purchases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Hi, congratulations for the lucky draw. Are you using a screen protector for the phone? If yes then which one? My phone is due in a couple of days. I already have the Moto G flip cover.
I ordered the gadgetshieldz one, but you need to be careful while applying, its a wet application type. Go through a few videos and instructions on the internet.

I ordered the full body protection, and first tried to apply the screen guard, had to give multiple tries and in the process there was some damage, but still its good. The back cover went in pretty well. Should have applied the back cover first.

But have to say the Gorilla Glass 3 is also pretty good, atleast nothing on the screen for 5 days of unprotected use!!

When did you place the order for phone?
Old 18th February 2014, 11:40   #17684
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lij View Post

When did you place the order for phone?
Thanks. I placed order on 8th February night and it was despatched yesterday. I had ordered for a white flip cover which was delivered yesterday and its way better than most of other company's covers. Planning to order the screen guard today.
Old 18th February 2014, 11:57   #17685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Have a look at car chargers on Fasttech.com.
I noticed that fasttech is located in China.

Do I need to collect the delivery from customs after paying duty ?

Most Viewed