Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2014, 19:46   #17806
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I am in the same boat. Flip covers make life more complicated as its pretty difficult to use the phone with one hand after that. I am looking at a back bumper kind of cover but looking at something that is light. After getting used to the S2, the nexus 5 feels much more heavier and bulkier and I don't want to add to both of those by using an even thicker cover. Unable to choose the perfect cover.
There may be a way out with a third option that's neither a flip case nor the back bumper - Otterbox Nexus 5 screen protector
This one has 360 degree protection and designed for use without a case, but I doubt if this is available in India , so need to find a way out.
@mohit - do keep us updated on any other find or what you finally decide on.

Last edited by NPV : 2nd March 2014 at 19:50.
Old 2nd March 2014, 19:52   #17807
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
No. Did not faced any lag in stock ROM. Just wanted a change from Touchwiz so rooted it. Currently am using unofficial Dirty Unicorns. Its an awesome ROM. Also using boeffla kernel. The results are amazing. Very smooth and good battery life.
Thanks for your feedback. Downloading it.
Old 2nd March 2014, 19:56   #17808
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
This one has 360 degree protection and designed for use without a case, but I doubt if this is available in India , so need to find a way out.
I am not really looking at screen protection. The gorilla glass is good enough. I am more concerned about the finish of the corners and sides and the camera lens that protrudes out. Take a look at the following two. They appear fairly sleek and won't add much bulk I guess.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=digitren08-20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=digitren08-20
Old 2nd March 2014, 22:22   #17809
Senior - BHPian

Any pointers as to where I can buy a genuine battery for Motorola Atrix 2?
Old 2nd March 2014, 22:24   #17810
BHPian

So I finally gave up and sold the htc one which was only 28 days old... Bought a BB q10
Old 2nd March 2014, 22:58   #17811
BHPian

I have a Samsung Galaxy Grand Quattro. The display has become garbled on two occasions till date, once with the gallery and once with Jetpack Joyride. Clearing the memory and reopening the app has solved the problem on both occasions.

Is this a software bug or some kind of hardware problem which needs to be looked into? Anything which should be done while the phone's in the warranty period?

Does anyone else have a similar problem with their Quattro? Or with any other phone? Is this common with smartphones?
Attached Images

Last edited by amolbh : 2nd March 2014 at 23:02.
Old 2nd March 2014, 23:04   #17812
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpcard View Post
So I finally gave up and sold the htc one which was only 28 days old... Bought a BB q10
Any reasons why? HTC One has received a lot of good reviews and I almost bought one before they decided to discontinue it launch the dual sim model at a very steep price. And Blackberrry? I thought people had stopped buying that altogether ( no pun intended).
Old 2nd March 2014, 23:15   #17813
BHPian

See my previous posts on this thread( wifi stopped connecting, the torch as in the flash too gave up this morning) didn't have the patience to deal with the service centre guys... So just wanted a phone which functions, q10 will be my daily driver till iphone 6 comes out.
Old 2nd March 2014, 23:40   #17814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolbh View Post

Is this a software bug or some kind of hardware problem which needs to be looked into? Anything which should be done while the phone's in the warranty period?

Does anyone else have a similar problem with their Quattro? Or with any other phone? Is this common with smartphones?
I am using grand quattro from last six months but did not faced aforesaid issue. Seems like some hardware problem please get it checked from service center if problem occurs again
Old 3rd March 2014, 00:01   #17815
BHPian

Just manually updated my g2 to kitkat (using a Vodafone Germany build) Overall, it's more changes under the hood than visible. The phone is much faster although there are some bugs. Debating whether to go back to jellybean or give kitkat a bit more time.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1393785026864.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1393785037489.jpg  

Old 3rd March 2014, 02:09   #17816
Team-BHP Support

I just got a HTC One Mini; how do I get it to connect to my Mac?

HTC Sync Manager won't detect my phone and the phone doesn't show up in Devices either.
Old 3rd March 2014, 04:04   #17817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
No. Did not faced any lag in stock ROM. Just wanted a change from Touchwiz so rooted it. Currently am using unofficial Dirty Unicorns. Its an awesome ROM. Also using boeffla kernel. The results are amazing. Very smooth and good battery life.
I'm a little confused, help me out. Okay, I get the idea of flashing a ROM,which basically means you get more functionality and the performance improves but why do you need to flash a kernel? doesn't it automatically get flashed when you flash a ROM? and what exactly do you mean by flashing a kernel? What does it do?

Last edited by createrkid : 3rd March 2014 at 04:05. Reason: errors
Old 3rd March 2014, 04:28   #17818
BHPian

NOTE TO MODS: I realized that the above post is also mine and I can't seem to merge it with this, please do so if found against the rules. My apologies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolbh View Post
I have a Samsung Galaxy Grand Quattro.....

I can think of one way to fix your problem. You can either soft-reset your phone or hard-reset it. I'm gonna go with the hard-reset.

Firstly, make a back-up(move all important data from phone memory to sd card)

Now follow these steps.

1)Switch your phone off(make sure the battery level is above 70%)

2)Now, when the phone is switched off, hold down the volume up+menu+power buttons simultaneously.

Like this,
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-howtobootsamsunggalaxydevicestorecoverymode.jpg

3)Upon doing so, your phone will boot into recovery mode(factory settings) and it should look something like this.
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-galaxygrandrecoverymode4600x450.jpg

4)Now, using the volume up and volume down buttons, navigate to "wipe data/factory reset" and select it by pressing the power button.

5)Wait until the wipe is complete then reboot your phone the same way.

NOTE: If it still doesn't work, then follow the same steps given above and this time, select "wipe data/factory reset" as well as "wipe cache partition".

This should solve your problem. If it doesn't then it's probably a hardware error :/ , for which, you'd need to go to a service center.

Last edited by createrkid : 3rd March 2014 at 04:36. Reason: added note to mods
Old 3rd March 2014, 06:16   #17819
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by createrkid View Post
I'm a little confused, help me out. Okay, I get the idea of flashing a ROM,which basically means you get more functionality and the performance improves but why do you need to flash a kernel? doesn't it automatically get flashed when you flash a ROM? and what exactly do you mean by flashing a kernel? What does it do?
Custom ROMs do come with kernels. But boeffla kernel according to me is the best kernel you can find for galaxy S3. The kernels that conte with custom ROMs might not be good in performance or battery life or anything for that matter. Boeffla kernel has a smooth performance and gives good battery life. Flashing means installing the kernel. You do it by booting into recovery and installing the zip. By using boeffla kernel I get around 4hr 30min screen on time.
Old 3rd March 2014, 06:25   #17820
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
There may be a way out with a third option that's neither a flip case nor the back bumper - Otterbox Nexus 5 screen protector
I seriously doubt that. You need a bit of rubber around the edges to absorb impact and prevent dings. A wafer thin layer of plastic doesnt have anywhere near the same impact.

Most Viewed