Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2014, 15:20   #17851
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Are there any power saving apps that keep only bluetooth on and shutdown wi-fi, 3G , etc when the phone is inactive ?

My android is paired with Blue&me, but the bluetooth switches off with the system power saving , and I can't take calls.
Umm, why not keep the power saving off? BT will remain on then.

Which phone is this btw?
Old 7th March 2014, 15:35   #17852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Umm, why not keep the power saving off? BT will remain on then.

Which phone is this btw?
I've seen the battery drainage higher with power savings turned off. I'd still like to have some savings but keep bluetooth on. This is a Gionee Pioneer P2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Try using Tasker, or if you need a free simpler one try Llama. Both can do this easily
Thanks, will give it a try.
Old 7th March 2014, 15:35   #17853
BHPian

Quote:
Are there any power saving apps that keep only bluetooth on and shutdown wi-fi, 3G , etc when the phone is inactive ?

My android is paired with Blue&me, but the bluetooth switches off with the system power saving , and I can't take calls.
Don't get me wrong, but why do you want an app when native widgets can help you switch off 3g WiFi and GPS and even brightness?
Old 7th March 2014, 15:44   #17854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
Don't get me wrong, but why do you want an app when native widgets can help you switch off 3g WiFi and GPS and even brightness?
When the Android power saving kicks in, it shuts down almost everything and I don't want Bluetooth to be turned off - that's my requirement.

The native widgets are useful for manually switching on and off data/wifi etc so I don't think they'll be useful in my case.
Old 7th March 2014, 20:13   #17855
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I've seen the battery drainage higher with power savings turned off. I'd still like to have some savings but keep bluetooth on. This is a Gionee Pioneer P2.

Thanks, will give it a try.
Quote:
When the Android power saving kicks in, it shuts down almost everything and I don't want Bluetooth to be turned off - that's my requirement.

The native widgets are useful for manually switching on and off data/wifi etc so I don't think they'll be useful in my case.
What is Android power saver? Is it some preinstalled app? Haven't seen anything like that on mine - Gnex. If a preinstalled app, I guess there must be some option to "whitelist" a few settings, IIRC, I saw something similar on a friend's xperia.

Tasker is a wonderful app, but NOT free. Once you get a hang of it though, it's pretty simple. Upfront, you might have to refer a few wiki articles.
Old 7th March 2014, 21:10   #17856
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
What is Android power saver? Is it some preinstalled app?
It's not a preinstalled app , it's part of the OS I believe. I'm running 4.2.2 and I see it in Settings->Power Saving.

Under "Power Saving" there are 2 options "System Power Saving" and "Custom Power Saving". Turning on "System Power Saving" will switch off wi-fi, 3G , bluetooth,WLAN,sync after 5 mins on inactivity.

"Custom Power Saving" has optional settings - eg to shut down only wi-fi when the battery goes below a preconfigured setting like 50%.

And I'm having problems with Tasker, it keeps crashing with errors on my phone.
Old 7th March 2014, 22:17   #17857
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It's not a preinstalled app , it's part of the OS I believe. I'm running 4.2.2 and I see it in Settings->Power Saving.

Under "Power Saving" there are 2 options "System Power Saving" and "Custom Power Saving". Turning on "System Power Saving" will switch off wi-fi, 3G , bluetooth,WLAN,sync after 5 mins on inactivity.

"Custom Power Saving" has optional settings - eg to shut down only wi-fi when the battery goes below a preconfigured setting like 50%.

And I'm having problems with Tasker, it keeps crashing with errors on my phone.
Ok, I am on 4.4.2, but don't see such a thing. Anyway, if tasker is giving you problems, try Profile scheduler. I had used it for sometime before moving to tasker. Basically you can switch off the power saver option and then using this app enable the car profile (while driving) or office/home (based on your location) and toggle the settings (gps/wifi/BT etc). See if this works out.
Old 8th March 2014, 12:50   #17858
BHPian

Google is reportedly working on a Kitkat update for fixing battery drain problem on Nexus 5.
http://www.ibtimes.com/google-workin...-chips-1559771

Battery drain and handset heating are apparently caused by a bug in camera process within Android 4.4.2 that continues to run even after the parent app such as Skype is closed.

The problem also affects other handsets that use Qualcomm chipset. However, the Kitkat update, when released, will be available only for Nexus and Google expects other manufacturers to provide their own customised updates.

In the meantime, google advices users to either uninstall Skype or restart the phone after using skype to prevent battery drain.
Old 9th March 2014, 22:34   #17859
Distinguished - BHPian

I always used the Samsung's music player on my Galaxy S2 even though google play music kept on pestering me to try it out. Now with the nexus 5 I finally thought I will give it a try. But I am not finding it as user friendly and easy to use as the Samsung's software. 2 queries about google play music:
1. How can I share a song via whatsapp? In the Samsung music player there was a share option. No such option available on the google play music.
2. Is there anyways I can compile a playlist according to " last played", " Recently added" etc? The Samsung's version had it and it was very useful as usually I tend to listen to songs that I have added recently and I used to find them in the order of addition on my S2. Now I have to manually search for songs and keep adding them to a playlist. Kind of annoying.
Old 10th March 2014, 06:00   #17860
Senior - BHPian

Had bought an an Amzer kickstand case for skyping (95213). looks nice. piece of crap in real life.

It looks nice in images but is a piece of crap in real life.

Unlike similar iphone cases (think $40) which have a robust metal stand, this kickstand was a jugad piece which broke at its tiny hinges! :( The stand itself

The case further is a grime magnet. In almost 13 years of mobile usage, this is the first case that got stained. From white, it picked up a heavy pink stain and a couple of blue stains. Now with the stand broken, all sorts of dust/grime got into the case which acts as an abrasive!

Wish I could have posted photos - 550 bucks wasted.

Now back to a simple 93964 amzer TPU gel case - that rocks and costs 60% of this!!

Hope this helps those folks who may be looking out for kickstand cases - don't buy the amzer stuff!

Holy cow. I used the cyanogenmod one click tool to root/install CM and it installed 11.0 aka 4.4.2 on my phone. Wow

Last edited by phamilyman : 10th March 2014 at 06:13.
Old 10th March 2014, 11:16   #17861
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

Now back to a simple 93964 amzer TPU gel case - that rocks and costs 60% of this!!
It costs like 450 bucks online...is it cheaper at stores?
Old 10th March 2014, 11:37   #17862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
It costs like 450 bucks online...is it cheaper at stores?
I'd bought around Diwali for 315 back then not checked recent prices, sorry!

By the way, can anyone on Indian 4.3 version please tell me their baseband number?

I'm still running the 4.1.2 baseband (DDEMG2) as confirmed by http://www.technoxide.com/2013/10/ma....2-XXEMH4.html For some reason my call quality has absolutely gone into the toilet.

http://sampro.pl/tag/i9300ddemg2/ tells me that 4.3 onwards the baseband is DDUGMK1. Hence my questions:
a. Should I update my baseband?
b. If not, how should I restore my call quality.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10th March 2014, 12:23   #17863
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

By the way, can anyone on Indian 4.3 version please tell me their baseband number?
Shows DDUGMK1 on my stock S3 running 4.3.
Old 10th March 2014, 19:29   #17864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Shows DDUGMK1 on my stock S3 running 4.3.
Hey thanks - flashed the same on my phone using Para's File Stash. Works perfect!
Old 10th March 2014, 20:37   #17865
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Any bhpian got Kitkat update for S4 ? Official

Most Viewed