Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2014, 14:43   #17956
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
What's a good app on Android to know local business around?

Eg. if I am in a particular area, I'd like to know restaurants, hotels, attractions etc.

There was the Local app on 4.2.2 but I can't find it on 4.4.2. It wasn't that great anyway.
Merged into G-Maps now. Open it, tap on the search bar and you shall see this -
Name:  gmaps.png
Views: 861
Size:  44.8 KB
Old 2nd April 2014, 15:13   #17957
Senior - BHPian

My Moto X was delivered yesterday and the experience so far is brilliant. As all reviews have said, the touchless voice control and active notifications are super cool and work very well. The shake to turn on camera is also a very useful feature to capture those quick photographs.

It's just the perfect size to hold and much lighter & slimmer than my Atrix 2. The phone is very fast and smooth. Hope it stays that way.
Old 2nd April 2014, 16:06   #17958
BHPian

Ok Moto g users, my Moto g has been running fantastically the past few days. Today it suddenly refused to get a sim card connection and it was detecting the sim card but it wasn't showing any bars, I then took out my sim card, and filed off the rough edges and put it back in, still nothing! Then I restarted the phone and it finally connected to the nearest tower, ever since it's been able make and receive calls but the signal is never at all bars full, it's constantly falling to 2 bars and sometimes even 1 bar, my previous phone never had any drop in signal. Anyways, I use the same sim card for the Moto g, I got it cut at a mobile shop, it was cut using a micro sim card cutter, so no scissor work was involved. Though it's not smooth at the edges, it's considerably better than cutting with the scissors. I'm attaching a picture showing my signal strength literally 500 metres from a mobile tower
Did anyone ever face such an issue with their Moto g? Is it a problem with the sim card or the phone?
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20140402155932.png
Old 2nd April 2014, 16:51   #17959
BHPian

Are you on Airtel @ Bangalore? There seems to be a problem and lot of people have reported signal problems here. That could be the reason for your issues. Not with the phone
Old 2nd April 2014, 17:05   #17960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
Are you on Airtel @ Bangalore? There seems to be a problem and lot of people have reported signal problems here. That could be the reason for your issues. Not with the phone
Thanks for the clarification, I just confirmed that there indeed was a network downtime with Airtel today, maybe that was the reason for the loss of signal. It's all good now, getting full connectivity :-)
Old 3rd April 2014, 11:47   #17961
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by createrkid View Post
Ok Moto g users, my Moto g has been running fantastically the past few days. Today it suddenly refused to get a sim card connection and it was detecting the sim card but it wasn't showing any bars, I then took out my sim card, and filed off the rough edges and put it back in, still nothing! Then I restarted the phone and it finally connected to the nearest tower, ever since it's been able make and receive calls but the signal is never at all bars full, it's constantly falling to 2 bars and sometimes even 1 bar, my previous phone never had any drop in signal. Anyways, I use the same sim card for the Moto g, I got it cut at a mobile shop, it was cut using a micro sim card cutter, so no scissor work was involved. Though it's not smooth at the edges, it's considerably better than cutting with the scissors. I'm attaching a picture showing my signal strength literally 500 metres from a mobile tower
Did anyone ever face such an issue with their Moto g? Is it a problem with the sim card or the phone?

Attachment 1225977
I got myself a Moto G and am facing a similar problem. This has been reported in several forums too and Motorola has acknowledged the issue occurring due to the update to the Kit Kat version. Check out the below links:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/t...w/31606642.cms

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/03...-4-4-2-update/

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/027c60e48f

http://www.bgr.in/manufacturers/moto...king-on-a-fix/
Old 4th April 2014, 16:15   #17962
Team-BHP Support

My stock Galaxy S3 (I9300) running stock 4.3 is showing a firmware update available. Given the misery of the 4.3 upgrade a few months ago, I'm skeptical to accept anything Samsung is pushing out.

The download doesn't show a proper description. Just says 'Added new feature'. Size 11.94MB.

Anyone have an idea what this particular update is about?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 4th April 2014 at 16:20.
Old 4th April 2014, 19:06   #17963
BHPian

Want to change from Blackberry to Android. Been on Blackberry for a good 7 years and not addicted to the physical qwerty keyboard. Are there any Android phones with a physical keyboard available?
Old 6th April 2014, 23:18   #17964
Senior - BHPian

guys, need urgent help. My wife's iPhone 3GS's have conked off and I need to purchase a replacement tomorrow itself.
The requirements are some what good (loud) external speaker, slim profile, 4 - 5 inch screen and easy availability of accessories and spares (we have 2 Xolo Q700s - the phone is a gem as long as it runs, but try getting a replacement battery and I am sure most of you will never touch Xolo again :| ).

Budget is around 8K.

Which one should I get her?

PS: How good is the service of Lenovo? The models A 526 and A 680 seems to be good VFM, but I am not sure if I will get good service \ support if anything goes wrong in future.

Generally, how good is the service \ support for Panasonic and Lenovo phones?

Thanks in advance

--Anoop
Old 7th April 2014, 02:48   #17965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
guys, need urgent help. My wife's iPhone 3GS's have conked off and I need to purchase a replacement tomorrow itself.

Budget is around 8K.

--Anoop
Get a Samsung galaxy S duos 2 for about 8500 if long term support is a concern.

Batteries for the 4 year old galaxy S are available easily
Old 7th April 2014, 06:47   #17966
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
My stock Galaxy S3 (I9300) running stock 4.3 is showing a firmware update available. Given the misery of the 4.3 upgrade a few months ago, I'm skeptical to accept anything Samsung is pushing out.

The download doesn't show a proper description. Just says 'Added new feature'. Size 11.94MB.

Anyone have an idea what this particular update is about?
Cyanogenmod is good by the way
Old 7th April 2014, 10:41   #17967
BHPian

@theexperthand, Lenovo service is handled by HCL Pan India so it should not be an issue.

Btw, I too have a Xolo Q800 and it is running fine as of now but might need a Battery in few months time. Any idea where to get one?
Old 7th April 2014, 11:31   #17968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
@theexperthand, Lenovo service is handled by HCL Pan India so it should not be an issue.

Btw, I too have a Xolo Q800 and it is running fine as of now but might need a Battery in few months time. Any idea where to get one?
The only place to get battery is at the authorised service centres, but they most of the time do not have ready stock available. We first got an initial quote of 20 days waiting period but later they said they will try to arrange it in 10 days time. Waiting to see when will it land at the Indiranagar service centre. And oh, it is the second battery replacement for that mobile - both times, had to opt for replacement due to swollen battery. I have another Q 700 which works fine, touch wood.

--Anoop
Old 7th April 2014, 13:24   #17969
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Cyanogenmod is good by the way
I know, but my IT Admin doesn't support rooted devices, so I'm stuck with the factory bloatware.
Old 7th April 2014, 14:50   #17970
Senior - BHPian

Try a phone from Gionee. Recently used their service center in Pune for display since it was broken. SC opened a ticket online in their CRM and within 4 days the display reached Pune SC from Delhi. Got the phone back in a week.

There is a model called Ctrl V3/4 from Gionee in that price range.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks