Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2014, 17:03   #18646
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5hadow View Post
I got my Xiami Mi3 yesterday and I am trying to move app settings and other important data like contacts, etc to it from a Moto Defy running CM GB.

I would like to know from fellow Mi3 owners, did they try to access the Mi3 through computer and notice a ReadMe(.rtf and .html) and a setup.exe? All of them are in Chinese. I tried my hand with Google translate on the Readme and all I could get was that the setup will install drivers. Are they even required?

Any help with this or porting data to new phone is welcome.
What exactly are you trying to port?

Contacts/Calender/Wifi-APN settings are all backed up to your gmail account. You just need to add the account on your new phone and everything will be synced to it.

For SMS/Call logs you can use SMS/Call log backup apps by Ritesh Sahu - it can also take schedules backups and sync to cloud.
Old 27th July 2014, 18:14   #18647

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
3. Enables administrator rights selecting first ROOT and then where it says Enable administrator permissions.
Sorry, but I can't seem to find how to do this.
Old 27th July 2014, 18:31   #18648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Something I found online... owners please confirm.

Rooting steps for Xiaomi MI3

Directions

Usually, Xiaomi are already rooted from the top, so the process would be to activate it.

1. Click Security Center, on the desktop of your smartphone.
2. In Security Center, click the Permissions icon.
3. Enables administrator rights selecting first ROOT and then where it says Enable administrator permissions.
4. Download any application requiring root activation and accept that ROOT permissions, so you can check it out.
The steps are correct. You don't need any other special steps to enable root on this device. I have been using developer ROM since January this year and there was never much of an issue except minor bugs which get fixed in every weekly update!

But the steps mentioned above can get you rooted provided you install developer ROM. I doubt if this option is available in stable ROM. Btw, there is also clockworkmod recovery available for this device, i prefer this for nandroid backup
Old 27th July 2014, 20:41   #18649
BHPian

'One plus' considering India launch of their phone 'One' soon. A lot of new brands pouring in. Hope the best for them.

http://m.tech.firstpost.com/news-ana...od-228034.html
Old 27th July 2014, 21:07   #18650
BHPian

Xiaomi ,Oppo, OnePlusOne are the few phones which come rooted out of the box. Informative information for rooting Xiaomi and installing the CWM recovery is available on this thread.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2667717
Old 27th July 2014, 22:12   #18651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5hadow View Post
I would like to know from fellow Mi3 owners, did they try to access the Mi3 through computer and notice a ReadMe(.rtf and .html) and a setup.exe? All of them are in Chinese. I tried my hand with Google translate on the Readme and all I could get was that the setup will install drivers. Are they even required?

Any help with this or porting data to new phone is welcome.
For Phone manager (that gets install through setup.exe), you get English translated files which you need to replace. Check this forum (official MiUI India forum) http://forum.miui.co.in/viewtopic.php?t=883&p=5855
Old 28th July 2014, 09:29   #18652
BHPian

Anyone facing low signal strength issue with Mi3? Below are my results comparing CanvasHD and Mi3 at same time/sim

Edge signal strength on Micromax CanvasHD: -85dbm
HSPA signal strength on CanvasHD: -92dbm

Edge signal strength on Mi3: -89dbm
HSPA signal strength on Mi3: -113dbm
Old 28th July 2014, 10:37   #18653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Anyone facing low signal strength issue with Mi3? Below are my results comparing CanvasHD and Mi3 at same time/sim

Edge signal strength on Micromax CanvasHD: -85dbm

Edge signal strength on Mi3: -89dbm
EDGE is 2G which is always stronger invariably. compare both in 2G/3G and then post!
Old 28th July 2014, 10:55   #18654
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone here used the Moto E? Its in stock on flipkart. Need a basic smartphone with very basic usage comprising mostly of calls and whatsapp and occasional internet browsing. The dual sim option and the compact dimensions is an added advantage. Or should I go for the Moto G since budget is flexible.
Old 28th July 2014, 10:57   #18655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
most of these mobile sites do not report lag in most androids, or just make passing mentions. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
I have a 2 half years old Samsung Omnia W running on windows 7.8, zilch lag till datel

Well may be reviewers are paid but part of the blame lies in lightning fast evolution of Android , For example 2GB of System partition was considered sufficient when Note ( original note) was released today the device is upgraded to 4.3 and now the System partition often runs short of space.
FYI , S3 which Phamilyman compares with was 6 full months before the Note. So may be when it was reviewed at that time compared to what was available in same time frame it was good enough.

So in my observation same device with original software was fast enough but with all the load of latest updates ( OS + Applications) I see flicker on screen and general slowdown after 3 years of usage.

Compared to this there were very little changes in software of Omnia.

@phamilyman : About your other question on an application which can measure and compared signal strength of all operators on handset , I doubt if you can get this.

On handsets the measurement is restricted to neighbouring cells of same PLMN ( operator). Network directs the handsets in System Information blocks which are sent on broadcast channels about what to measure and modem chipset restricts itself to only these measurements.

Only when you select network once more then full band search and measurements are done.

Last edited by amitk26 : 28th July 2014 at 11:04.
Old 28th July 2014, 11:10   #18656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
EDGE is 2G which is always stronger invariably. compare both in 2G/3G and then post!
Didnt I do that exact same thing?

Both using BSNL sim back to back tests.
Old 28th July 2014, 11:16   #18657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Didnt I do that exact same thing?

Both using BSNL sim back to back tests.
OK. So Mi3 is getting weaker signal at the same location. It may be related to the baseband of the phone or with the antenna of the device itself.
Old 28th July 2014, 11:30   #18658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Has anyone here used the Moto E? Its in stock on flipkart. Need a basic smartphone with very basic usage comprising mostly of calls and whatsapp and occasional internet browsing. The dual sim option and the compact dimensions is an added advantage. Or should I go for the Moto G since budget is flexible.
If the budget is flexible then Moto g does make more sense indeed. However, at almost the same price you may consider the Mi 3 with much better hardware.
Old 28th July 2014, 12:19   #18659
JLS
BHPian

Quote:
I had ordered Moto E for my wife, and she is using it for a month or so.
For 7K it is no brainer, good battery life, smooth operation, latest android, good reception and call quality to name a few positives.
Only negative is camera without autofocus and a flash light.
If budget is not an issue, go for Moto G, but I don't think almost double price is justified for Moto G. Moto E fits perfactly in a basic phone definition.

Regards,
JLS
Old 28th July 2014, 12:40   #18660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
check out the zenfone. supposedly better value esp the ZF5 at 10k INR. check with any actual users who may have seen both handsets in person.

Most Viewed