Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2014, 16:29   #18751
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Well, I had the same issue yesterday. MI3 showed out of stock on flipkart in under a second and I've decided to not register for the next sale at 12th.

Does flipkart think this is all a game?

I was also considering the Asus Zenfone 5, will research a bit more and buy.

I heard from some here that the Intel Atom processor is not all that great but also got a fairly good review from member JustCause (link). Could anyone provide more information so that i can seal the purchase in a day or so?
I had purchased an MI3 in the first sale. My sister was then interested in it. Tried for the last 2 sales and was not able to buy. Although the demand is high, I definitely believe there is some background manipulation also done.

Since there is no real hope of getting the MI3, I spent time researching and reading reviews on the Zenfone and I feel it is a good phone and definitely worth it. Going to buy it for my sister

BTW, I see Zenfone 5 also out of stock on Flipkart? Is it available directly through ASUS stores?
Old 6th August 2014, 17:36   #18752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
Motor, LIC and other insurance automatically send reminder via mail one month in advance.
Haven't received any reminders for the LIC policies that I hold , but the private Insurance cos. promptly send me the reminders!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
You need to add the payment schedule to some app - why not the calendar app? What am I missing?
Most probably, I have to do that. But, I was hoping there will be some App with a better interface to add a payment reminder...
Old 6th August 2014, 17:43   #18753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
Thanks GJ01.Installed it. Working fine.
Another query. The app GPS Test which I installed recently,has suddenly stopped working on my phone. As such installed AndroiTS GPS Test,and it has also stopped. Any idea why? Any settings issiue?
Glad to be of help Virgopal.

What is your intent of using GPS test? Do you have issues in getting GPS coverage? What apps are you using that use (and are not able to get) GPS. Also, can you tell me the Make / Model of your phone and the OS version?

Some older phones from the LG / Motorola stable are known to have GPS reception issues. Don't fall for apps that say installing them will improve or increase your GPS reception. If the hardware isn't upto it, not much that a software that relies on it can do.
Old 6th August 2014, 17:51   #18754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Haven't received any reminders for the LIC policies that I hold , but the private Insurance cos. promptly send me the reminders!
Do you pay your premiums online at the LIC portal or do you do you have a local office where you go drop your cheques?

At the LIC online payment portal, you have an option of subscribing for SMS alerts. Works like a charm - get reminders a fortnight before due date

Last edited by benbsb29 : 7th August 2014 at 09:22. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
Old 6th August 2014, 18:14   #18755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ01 View Post
Do you pay your premiums online at the LIC portal or do you do you have a local office where you go drop your cheques?
All my LIC premium payments are done through ECS.
Old 6th August 2014, 21:52   #18756
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
All my LIC premium payments are done through ECS.
Just use Google now to remind you with a voice command!
For eg, touch the mic icon and say, "Remind me to pay my car insurance on 3rd April every year" - You will get a Google now popup card to remind you. It can't get simpler than this :-D
Old 6th August 2014, 22:08   #18757
BHPian

Mapmy India Map and Google Maps are installed.Saw that both were not working.That was the reason.
However,I tried switching of/on Location Services and GPS started woorking fine.(GPS test is showing couple of satellites getting locked)
My phone is Moto G, OS Android KitKat v 4.4.*
Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 6th August 2014, 22:13   #18758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
Mapmy India Map and Google Maps are installed.Saw that both were not working.That was the reason.
However,I tried switching of/on Location Services and GPS started woorking fine.(GPS test is showing couple of satellites getting locked)
My phone is Moto G, OS Android KitKat v 4.4.*
Thanks for your suggestions.
Install "GPS Status & Toolbox" and reset A-GPS once in a week or so. This will help lock on satellites faster.
Old 6th August 2014, 22:15   #18759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Just use Google now to remind you with a voice command!
For eg, touch the mic icon and say, "Remind me to pay my car insurance on 3rd April every year" - You will get a Google now popup card to remind you. It can't get simpler than this :-D
Yes it is. As long as it gets your voice correct which is not always. Then you have to edit it manually. And you need to in a silent environment. And then there are people who don't want to use google now for privacy reasons. And lastly it has happened that google now gets buggy update and doesn't show notifications. Then you are doomed.
Old 6th August 2014, 22:34   #18760
Senior - BHPian

Is there any 'Trip Expense Tracker' Android / iOS App where we can simply add all trip expenses and even divide the expenses among friends.

Thing is anyone would've paid for anything (food, fuel etc.) and later we'd calculate who owes how much and who's paid extra.

I've been simply keeping the expenses with diary notes, but then in that you have to remember specifics etc and also if the group grows bigger, calculating will become cumbersome and doing everything on an excel sheet too may take time, whereas if its all automatically happening on the go, it'll be easy.
Old 6th August 2014, 23:15   #18761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Is there any 'Trip Expense Tracker' Android / iOS App where we can simply add all trip expenses and even divide the expenses among friends.

Thing is anyone would've paid for anything (food, fuel etc.) and later we'd calculate who owes how much and who's paid extra.

I've been simply keeping the expenses with diary notes, but then in that you have to remember specifics etc and also if the group grows bigger, calculating will become cumbersome and doing everything on an excel sheet too may take time, whereas if its all automatically happening on the go, it'll be easy.
I use Settle Up on Android and windows and I personally love it. I dont know if its there on iOS
Old 7th August 2014, 00:13   #18762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Yes it is. As long as it gets your voice correct which is not always. Then you have to edit it manually. And you need to in a silent environment. And then there are people who don't want to use google now for privacy reasons. And lastly it has happened that google now gets buggy update and doesn't show notifications. Then you are doomed.
Very strange to hear this. I have been using google now reminders a lot, especially after I got the moto x as it's so simple with the touchless control. I haven't faced any of these bugs and the voice recognition is quite accurate with the language set to English India.
Old 7th August 2014, 01:32   #18763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post

You can also try Splitwise.
Old 7th August 2014, 01:32   #18764
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipdawiz View Post
Mi3 going out of sale in seconds is not entirely done by Flipkart. This is the way Xiaomi does the sale. And in their forum or in FB page they mentioned that they do it not only to generate some awareness or you can say hype (as their marketing only based on online and social networking sites) but also it helps them not to keep any inventory pending, they manufacture the handsets and sell off immediately without adding any inventory cost to it, thus saving some money of end users as well them.
It looks like people should seriously ask themselves if Xiaomi is a company they want to deal with then. I wonder how they handle service? Spare parts?

Big thumbs down.
Old 7th August 2014, 04:18   #18765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Very strange to hear this. I have been using google now reminders a lot, especially after I got the moto x as it's so simple with the touchless control. I haven't faced any of these bugs and the voice recognition is quite accurate with the language set to English India.
Well it depends on what you are dictating also. Ordinary words it's reasonably good at. And other bugs could be device specific and version specific.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks