Old 26th August 2014, 21:55   #18991
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
So it's final call

Nexus 5 or HTC Desire 816!
Nexus 5 all the way!

To help you decide, the processor used in the Desire 816 is the same as the Rs 5,999 Redmi 1S

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 26th August 2014 at 22:03.
Old 26th August 2014, 22:14   #18992
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Nexus 5 all the way!

If it makes you happy, the processor used in the Desire 816 is the same as the Rs 5,999 Redmi 1S
I was just about to point that out

Nexus 5 really is in a league of its own.

Having said that, consider the HTC One Mini. I find the One/One mini to be the snappiest and gorgeous devices out there that can closely rival the iPhone except in terms of value the MI3 has it licked.
Old 26th August 2014, 22:47   #18993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Nexus 5 all the way!

To help you decide, the processor used in the Desire 816 is the same as the Rs 5,999 Redmi 1S
That is true but 13MP + 5MP camera combination with BSI sensor + HTC Sense 6.0 premium UI+ Dual Speakers + 5.5" phablet experience + overall looks of 816 makes it worth considering at least once. I don't think 1S can come closer in terms of overall feel and quality.

Nexus 5 off course has a class of its own!
Old 26th August 2014, 22:51   #18994
BHPian

For the people who want to buy a mi3 and do not want to go through the trauma of the flash sale, buy the phone by paying a premium of 1k - 1.5 k from olx, quikr, etc.
Old 27th August 2014, 00:39   #18995
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
This is too much now.

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini will be Flipkart exclusive in India. Based on whatever I have heard or read, most people are irritated with the Flipkart exclusive model. Whatever may be the case, Flipkart is minting a lot of money.
This is what I was afraid of! Flipkart is becoming a monopoly! Not good...

And the worst affected are going to be brick and mortar stores, I guess.
Old 27th August 2014, 04:40   #18996
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Sorry, can't comment on that. Neither of the feet have fallen off in 1 + year of use, and I haven't tried removing them either

It also helps that the S3 back cover is removable and interchangeable, so I can always get a new one for cheap. I'd be careful using this on a glass-back or unibody design phone though.

P.S. It's dirt cheap, so you can probably buy two sets and experiment on a surface other than an expensive phone (but similar to it) to allay your concerns beforehand.
Thanks! Does it look good though? I may not hesitate to use it so much if its on a easily replaceable back panel. But on non-removable ones, it causes more concern; esp. when it says it uses an "aggressive adhesive:! I saw that they have similar legs for laptops too. Great if you have a laptop that has lost a leg.

I wonder why seller/manufacturer is targeting only iPhones and Galaxies.

This is such a simple but effective solution, I wonder why manufacturers don't bother to provide something similar. I guess they would rather you buy an exhorbitantly priced back panel from them instead.

Last edited by Raccoon : 27th August 2014 at 04:41.
Old 27th August 2014, 09:49   #18997
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
This is too much now.

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini will be Flipkart exclusive in India. Based on whatever I have heard or read, most people are irritated with the Flipkart exclusive model. Whatever may be the case, Flipkart is minting a lot of money.
Lol! Someone at Samsung has goofed this up! "What's different between our phones and Moto/Asus/Xiaomi? Wait, they sell exclusively through flipkart, hence the demand!"

I don't think they will get the same kind of response.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 27th August 2014 at 09:53.
Old 27th August 2014, 10:37   #18998
BHPian

Recently bought MotoG after the prices were slashed. I had this older SIM card which would not fit the slot, so got a microSim from Idea. I have a prepaid account. From the past three days there have been deductions from my account ranging from 60 paise to 2 rupees. I am not making any calls or sending any SMSes. I am not aware if the updates use the Idea 3G. Any settings I have to change?
Old 27th August 2014, 12:07   #18999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Recently bought MotoG after the prices were slashed. I had this older SIM card which would not fit the slot, so got a microSim from Idea. I have a prepaid account. From the past three days there have been deductions from my account ranging from 60 paise to 2 rupees. I am not making any calls or sending any SMSes. I am not aware if the updates use the Idea 3G. Any settings I have to change?
You can disable the "Data usage" on your phone. Your 2G/3G usages are definitely being charged by pesky apps/programs running in the backgound.
think Location services, FB, tracking apps

You can go to settings->data usage-->mobile data (set it to off)
Old 27th August 2014, 13:29   #19000
Senior - BHPian

Xiaomi pulls the Xiaomi Mi 3 from India

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Xiaom...-India_id59841
Old 27th August 2014, 13:34   #19001
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post

Woah!

Thats big. My team-mate got his hands on one, and I found it very impressive for its price. Just yesterday we were discussing on the future of the phone, including servicing. Stopping such a hit best-seller for a cheaper version?
Old 27th August 2014, 13:47   #19002
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Stopping such a hit best-seller for a cheaper version?
Seems like a classic case of bait and switch. Gain popularity and demand by selling premium phones for cheap, then start selling cheap mainstream phones instead.
Old 27th August 2014, 13:54   #19003
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I think Xaomi was testing the Indian waters for their product accepatbility. Once they knew that they had a market, introduce new products and try to keep things interesting. I am sure they will reintroduce the Mi3 later once they have established.

Or did Flipkart have anything to do here? I mean demand higher commission charges?
Old 27th August 2014, 14:06   #19004
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Or did Flipkart have anything to do here? I mean demand higher commission charges?
Since it was a cash cow for FK just like the Moto phones, maybe they didnt have anything to do with it..
And if Xaiomi desired, many Indian online retailers would be willing to be an exclusive window for their sales.
Old 27th August 2014, 14:21   #19005
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Xiaomi is planning to launch Redmi 1S tomorrow. Price expected to be 6999/-May be available on FK in the last week of August or 1st week of September. Has better features compared to Moto G at the price of Moto E. This will be another sell out within seconds of listing.
After a little over 2 weeks of using the Mi3, my wife who was using my junk Samsung wanted a new phone too. I ended up buying the MotoG last weekend as I did not want to go through another "lottery" experience of buying the Redmi 1S through flipkart.

The MotoG was delivered in under 24 hours and both my wife and I feel that the Mi UI is a lot friendlier and easier to use compared to the UI in the MotoG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
I have been using my Mi3 since yesterday and I find the battery bit weak as opposed to what the reviews have to say (this might be due to the constant downloads I have been doing).
Drain the battery completely till the phone dies and then charge the phone. Do this a couple of times and the battery life will be better over the long run.

I charge the phone in the morning just before I get to work and by the time I leave it's at around 70% charge. Data, BT, WiFi all on through the day and after I reach home my son plays games on it for a few hours till his bedtime. The phone gets down to 20% charge by then only to be plugged in for a recharge the next morning (and it is at 15% the next morning).

I have a custom power mode enabled which kicks in at 25% to conserve battery. The charger is excellent and quick to recharge the phone battery. It charges the phone back to around 80% power in just over an hour.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Just yesterday we were discussing on the future of the phone, including servicing.
I don't think service would be an issue since they have set up service centers in major cities. If service was an issue, it would apply to all phones and not just a particular model.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks