Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2014, 11:21   #19036
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Hi Guys,

Need to buy a phone for my sister. Budget is 12k-16k. Basic requirements - Whatsapp, Facebook and Gmail apps and not much of gaming. I know Mi3 is quite popular but I want to know the suggestions apart from that. Few which I could get were:

-Moto G (16GB)
-LG L90
-Samsung Quattro
-Samsung Grand Neo
-Lenovo S850
-HTC Desire 616
-Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini

Would love to know from experts here which one would be a good option. Let me know if I have missed any other options.
Asus zenfone 5 and zenfone 6 are options.
Old 29th August 2014, 11:27   #19037
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Need to buy a phone for my sister. Budget is 12k-16k. Basic requirements - Whatsapp, Facebook and Gmail apps and not much of gaming. I know Mi3 is quite popular but I want to know the suggestions apart from that. Few which I could get were:

-Moto G (16GB)
-LG L90
-Samsung Quattro
-Samsung Grand Neo
-Lenovo S850
-HTC Desire 616
-Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini

Would love to know from experts here which one would be a good option. Let me know if I have missed any other options.
From the list i would advise

-Moto G (16GB)
-HTC Desire 616

Moto G has a super advantage of vanilla OS and getting updates and I have been using one for almost 8 months now and 0 issues what so ever.

Regards,
Old 29th August 2014, 12:07   #19038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post

I remember the phone was at around 40% charge out of the box and it went down to 15-20% that day after using wifi to install apps and configure the phone. I'd recommend the battery kill-recharge method. Use the charger supplied in the box as it recharges the phone very quickly compared to other chargers.
Sir, I did this hardware diagnostics a day or two back and even today I checked, but there isn't anything for the 'battery test'. Many other things there but nothing to do with the battery.

After you suggested it in the earlier post, I did the battery-kill --> recharge exercise in my latest charge cycle. Should I do it 3-4 more times to prime the battery? Or nothing like that?

Thank You.

-Bhargav
Old 29th August 2014, 14:39   #19039
Distinguished - BHPian

Anybody changed the lcd_density on the mi3 yet? Default is 480. I had been running 320 on the earlier Nexus. The icons and text look too big to me!

Already rooted and wondering how much higher can we go without issues? Will start trying from 445 onwards.
Old 29th August 2014, 14:54   #19040
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Anybody changed the lcd_density on the mi3 yet? Default is 480. I had been running 320 on the earlier Nexus. The icons and text look too big to me!

Already rooted and wondering how much higher can we go without issues? Will start trying from 445 onwards.
Does rooting unlock the phone's true potential?

How is the battery life affected after rooting? Is it affected in a positive manner or a negative one?

-Bhargav
Old 29th August 2014, 15:01   #19041
BHPian

Quote:

Currently on a miui rom and it works fine at 268 dpi (have this dpi option in the rom itself). I generally prefer having the dpi set around 240.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post

How is the battery life affected after rooting? Is it affected in a positive manner or a negative one?

-Bhargav

Rooting just gives the superuser permission and won't affect the battery life.

Last edited by prateekm : 29th August 2014 at 15:04.
Old 29th August 2014, 18:41   #19042
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After you suggested it in the earlier post, I did the battery-kill --> recharge exercise in my latest charge cycle. Should I do it 3-4 more times to prime the battery? Or nothing like that?
Hi Bhargav, please call me Aditya. No need for sir.

I killed the battery completely and let it charge fully a few times so now a full charge lasts for more than a day. Do try it out. If the charge is dying out in less than a day download the CPU-Z app from the playstore to analyze CPU and Battery usage to understand if there is an issue.

Please also go into settings and take a screenshot of the battery usage. Hopefully the experts here can help. I'm sorry if I'm not being much help, i'm not a techie.
Old 29th August 2014, 18:48   #19043
BANNED

@Saanil; How about the Xiomi Mi3. I have avoided the Chinese like the plague so far, but my daughter bought one recently (Flipkart offer) and I am impressed.
Old 29th August 2014, 19:43   #19044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@Saanil; How about the Xiomi Mi3. I have avoided the Chinese like the plague so far, but my daughter bought one recently (Flipkart offer) and I am impressed.
I have suggested this to my sister. I told her she will have to register and wait for it becasue I think the supply is very less and the demand is huge. I have told her that my first choice would be Moto G.
Old 29th August 2014, 20:07   #19045
Team-BHP Support

Today, there was an update for location & weather/news for my Nexus 5 phone. After this update, the weather and news information is coming alright, location doesn't show up. Any inputs?
Old 29th August 2014, 20:44   #19046
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Currently on a miui rom and it works fine at 268 dpi (have this dpi option in the rom itself). I generally prefer having the dpi set around 240.
All right, so tried with 440, 441, 445, 380. But the battery icon became choppy. Although I really liked all the real estate it freed up, for now I have reverted back to the stock value of 480.

BTW, which device you use MIUI on?

Quote:
Rooting just gives the superuser permission and won't affect the battery
Quote:

-Bhargav
Just like Prateek said rooting doesn't affect the battery life in any way.

I have been using the phone only since last 2 days or so. Getting a decent battery life. It lasts a day and night with some juice left next morning. My earlier Nexus used to give me a day and sometimes even 2. But I would give it some more time to settle down.

-----

Now need to modify some lockscreens I really liked in the theme store - to remove the Chinese expressions. Any leads?
Old 29th August 2014, 21:49   #19047
BHPian

Quote:
I have suggested this to my sister. I told her she will have to register and wait for it becasue I think the supply is very less and the demand is huge. I have told her that my first choice would be Moto G.
Xiomi Mi3 sale on hold till further info. May be we can expect next version!
Old 30th August 2014, 00:49   #19048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post

Please also go into settings and take a screenshot of the battery usage. Hopefully the experts here can help. I'm sorry if I'm not being much help, i'm not a techie.
Aditya, I think, by doing what you asked me to last time the battery's performance has improved definitely. I don't know is it me or is it really an improvement in the battery's performance but the life has increased tremendously.

Will be doing the drain --> recharge exercise a few times more. It Will prime up the battery I suppose. Don't know if the priming up part applies to Li-ion batteries like it did for the Ni-Cd ones.

Quote:

I have been using the phone only since last 2 days or so. Getting a decent battery life. It lasts a day and night with some juice left next morning. My earlier Nexus used to give me a day and sometimes even 2. But I would give it some more time to settle down.
Can using different themes from the downloadable themes available on our devices (which have a very different UI's compared to the stock theme) have any effect on the battery life? What do you think?

-------

BTW guys anyone playing around with the car logo quiz app? After the 5th level there are some really tough logos there. Giving me a real hard time. Actually not some, but many difficult one's are there..

-Bhargav

Last edited by Octane_Power : 30th August 2014 at 00:52.
Old 30th August 2014, 07:38   #19049
Senior - BHPian

Came across this interesting video of Xiaomi Redmi 1S. @ 6k INR this one is a steal and is surely going to affect the sales of Asus and Moto. And ofcourse take revenues of FK through the roof.

Regards,
Old 30th August 2014, 09:36   #19050
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now need to modify some lockscreens I really liked in the theme store - to remove the Chinese expressions. Any leads?
Done after some help from the miui forums. We have to edit the manifest.xml in /data/system/theme/lockscreen/advanced.

Root and root explorer required.

Quote:
Can using different themes from the downloadable themes available on our devices (which have a very different UI's compared to the stock theme) have any effect on the battery life? What do you think?
Theoretically if the lockscreen or home screen have weather widgets with frequent refresh intervals, it can reduce the battery life. But practically haven't really noticed much of a difference.

BTW, as Aditya suggested, complete cyclic recharges are necessary initial few times. Actually I became so habituated with this method that I used to do it all the time on my previous phones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Came across this interesting video of Xiaomi Redmi 1S. @ 6k INR this one is a steal and is surely going to affect the sales of Asus and Moto. And ofcourse take revenues of FK through the roof.
Absolutely. If they can introduce bigger batches, it can break all previous records of sales - Moto G, E, Mi3!

Last edited by Dry Ice : 30th August 2014 at 09:38.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks