Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2014, 16:00   #19126
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Own a Xiaomi Mi3. Been hearing about data hacking by chinese servers. Been fed up as some important infos been kept on the phone.
Wanted to know if any custom stable ROMs are available to Mi3?

Thanks.
Old 8th September 2014, 16:52   #19127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Own a Xiaomi Mi3. Been hearing about data hacking by chinese servers. Been fed up as some important infos been kept on the phone.
Wanted to know if any custom stable ROMs are available to Mi3?
Thanks.
No need to get panicked. Concern is that most people aren't even aware of the risk and few of those who are aware are not ready to care about it. Atleast you are concerned, thats good.

Here is one solution you can try out right now on existing ROM:

Just enable the root on your phone.
Install "Network Connections" to trace the dangerous apps/services, and "Titanium Backup" or "Lucky Patcher" to freeze/disable the preinstalled apps/services which seem to be establishing suspicious connections.

I would suggest that only disable/freeze the apps/services first instead of fully uninstalling them because uninstallation of few services may make your phone unstable and in that case you can restore back those apps if you have only frozen them.

Keep the network tracer on in the background for few days and keep checking it.

Your phone will also become much faster and you will notice more free RAM after doing that.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 8th September 2014 at 16:54.
Old 8th September 2014, 17:33   #19128
Senior - BHPian

I need a simple way to hide my dialer app in my Android phone - my son have taken a fancy to the dialer app and calls up random contacts
I tried two locking softwares - Bitdefender locker and Applock Master, but they are a pain since I cant even know who is calling me without unlocking the app first. I do not keep my dialer on my homepage, but the kid still picks it up from the all apps.

So, basically, I want to know if there is an appp which can hide dialer from the phone itself - something like putting it inside a folder.

--Anoop
Old 8th September 2014, 20:42   #19129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
I need a simple way to hide my dialer app in my Android phone - my son have taken a fancy to the dialer app and calls up random contacts
I tried two locking softwares - Bitdefender locker and Applock Master, but they are a pain since I cant even know who is calling me without unlocking the app first. I do not keep my dialer on my homepage, but the kid still picks it up from the all apps.

So, basically, I want to know if there is an appp which can hide dialer from the phone itself - something like putting it inside a folder.

--Anoop
Most custom ROMs allow you to edit the app name and icon when you tap and hold the app in the menu, so you could set it to something random. Don't know if this is available in stock ROMs though.
Old 9th September 2014, 11:00   #19130
BHPian

Quote:

--Anoop
Isn't it better to use "App Lock" and lock the dialer with a PIN lock ?
Old 9th September 2014, 11:11   #19131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Most custom ROMs allow you to edit the app name and icon when you tap and hold the app in the menu, so you could set it to something random. Don't know if this is available in stock ROMs though.
Thank you for this pointer - will try to explore this option. I use a Moto G and is still on stock ROM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
Isn't it better to use "App Lock" and lock the dialer with a PIN lock ?
Well, I tried that, but the downside is, you will not know who is calling you unless you unlock your dialer app first - that is a pain.

--Anoop
Old 9th September 2014, 11:40   #19132
BHPian

Quote:
Well, I tried that, but the downside is, you will not know who is calling you unless you unlock your dialer app first - that is a pain.

--Anoop
I think you locked the wrong thing in AppLock.

See below image. You should not lock the Incoming Calls.

Instead you should lock the Phone dialer which will also lock you contacts. With this, incoming calls wont require a password.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1410242933987.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1410243022319.jpg  

Old 9th September 2014, 12:26   #19133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think you locked the wrong thing in AppLock.

See below image. You should not lock the Incoming Calls.

Instead you should lock the Phone dialer which will also lock you contacts. With this, incoming calls wont require a password.
Thank you for the screenshots, Repsol. What I did was exactly what you are asking me to do - I locked the Phone app ( in fact, I didn't even knew that I can lock incoming calls ).

Which App are you using to lock the phone app? i was trying with 'Applock Master'.

--Anoop
Old 9th September 2014, 12:29   #19134
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the screenshots, Repsol. What I did was exactly what you are asking me to do - I locked the Phone app ( in fact, I didn't even knew that I can lock incoming calls ).

Which App are you using to lock the phone app? i was trying with 'Applock Master'.

--Anoop
Use this one : https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....applock&hl=en
Old 9th September 2014, 12:57   #19135
BHPian

Got the Redmi 1S yesterday. The phone is more than value for money. MIUI is pretty good. currently overlay on the jellybean. Suppose things will get even better with kitkat coming in a few months.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img20140908wa0023.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img20140908wa0025.jpg  

Old 9th September 2014, 13:36   #19136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you! Will try it and will update you.

--Anoop
Old 9th September 2014, 14:00   #19137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
Got the Redmi 1S yesterday.
How may I ask did you get it even before the Flipkart sale ? Some inside source?

Edit: And the phone went out of stock within 10 seconds of the sale opening!!! Eyewash by Flipkart??

Last edited by dkaile : 9th September 2014 at 14:04.
Old 9th September 2014, 14:11   #19138
BHPian

Flipkart first subscribers have the advantage of buying it 24 hours before others... Last week I could buy the redmi.. This week I failed even after trying with multiple devices and I think it was a couple of seconds not 10.
Old 9th September 2014, 14:12   #19139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
How may I ask did you get it even before the Flipkart sale ? Some inside source?
dkaile, today is the second sale of Redmi 1S. The first sale was at 2 PM on 2nd September

Quote:
Edit: And the phone went out of stock within 30 seconds of the sale opening!!!
My kid brother and I were sitting next to each other waiting impatiently for the sale to begin.

I clicked the Buy Now button at the very instant the countdown stopped and I got the phone whereas my brother didn't (he thought the countdown timer will be replaced by Buy Now button and kept clicking there, loosing a precious second or more and thereby the phone )

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrun87 View Post
Flipkart first subscribers have the advantage of buying it 24 hours before others... Last week I could buy the redmi.. This week I failed even after trying with multiple devices and I think it was a couple of seconds not 10.
Flipkart First subscriber didn't have an early access for this sale, I believe

Last edited by Klub Class : 9th September 2014 at 14:14.
Old 9th September 2014, 15:03   #19140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
dkaile, today is the second sale of Redmi 1S. The first sale was at 2 PM on 2nd September

Flipkart First subscriber didn't have an early access for this sale, I believe
You are right. Yesterday was the 2nd round of sales. I bought this one last Monday. Even the first subscriber's didn't get the delivery early. They only got the chance to book early. I suppose living in Blr and Flipkart having their stockyard here helped in getting the phone early.

Hehe, I suppose I am the first Bhpian to get the official Indian version of the Redmi 1S.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks