Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2014, 15:52   #19141
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
Hehe, I suppose I am the first Bhpian to get the official Indian version of the Redmi 1S.
Congrats, even i tried my luck for todays sale but was disappointed

We should expect a small yet detailed review from you
Old 9th September 2014, 16:12   #19142
BHPian

Rather than review, I will post my first impressions as the phone is less than a day old.

Pros
- MIUI rocks. Will only get better from here
- Screen is pretty crisp and big for a smartphone at this price. Viewing angles are also good.
- Customization to UI is a boon especially for elderly. you can change size of fonts, change over to lite mode (resembles Win layout) etc.
- Build quality & plastic quality is good. Will rate it a shade lower than Samsung Galaxy series.
-Camera is more than average. Definitely better than the 5MP of Moto G. Again not as good as the S2 or S3 but heck, at 6K for this phone, the camera rocks
-Battery life is again more than average. It's at par with the S3. Usually I only use 3g or wifi on my S3 as and when required and therefore, able to squeeze the battery for 1.5 to 2 days

Cons
- Definitely not the prettiest looking phone in this price range
- Bulky phone to hold
- The screen is very reflective. In bright sunlight, it is an issue.
- 2 things I really dis-like on the phone are that the touch buttons are not back lit and the screen is a dirt magnet.

I suppose the other aspects/detailed review have been covered by the experts and can be accessed on youtube.

To sum it up, had Xiaomi priced this phone even at 7k, the world record for flipkart for showing the phone 'out of stock' would have still remained.

Last edited by pareshraheja : 9th September 2014 at 16:14. Reason: Added more info
Old 9th September 2014, 16:50   #19143
BHPian

Hey guys, even I got the Redmi 1s today! Will be kept as a fourth standby phone , I love phones (have quite a few).
Expected delivery is 12/09/14. Looking forward to MiUi.
Old 9th September 2014, 17:00   #19144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
Rather than review, I will post my first impressions as the phone is less than a day old.
Thank you for your initial impressions.

I am sure this will help every prospective buyer in the forum.
Old 10th September 2014, 02:30   #19145
BHPian

My Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 SM T211 screen just cracked, and with the battery issues I was having, I was hoping to pick up a replacement screen and battery. Would anyone know where I would be able to get a replacement that is legitimate and good, while being cheaper than the Samsung Galaxy store?

Thanks much
Ang
Old 10th September 2014, 04:21   #19146
BHPian

Just thought of sharing the cost of screen replacement for Moto E is Rs.3600 and for Moto G it is Rs.5500 at Motorola ASC. But need to wait for a month before they get the screen it seems. Got this info when checked for a friend who broke his Moto E screen.
Old 10th September 2014, 08:08   #19147
Senior - BHPian

I have been using the Xiaomi RedMi 1S since last night and here are my first impressions. Few points are very subjective and my opinion.

Compared to my Nexus 4 which was running Android L Dev Edition:

- MIUI launcher is irritating. Lack of app drawer was irritating. Immediately replaced with Google Now Launcher
- Lags a bit compared to Nexus 4, gets intense when multi tasking with Chrome, WhatsApp and Facebook. Free RAM barely 180MB with no apps running. Not a deal breaker though
- Lack of notification ringtones is appaling. There's only one default and two other notification ringtones (one of which is a cat noise and I hate it)
- Putting ringtones in the default "Ringtones" folder and they aren't getting detected. Checking on the internet, it says we have to go to "Select Track" but why? It works so seamlessly with Nexus 4.
- 3G performance seems slower than Nexus 4. I'd get ~650KBps with Nexus 4, it barely crossing 100KBps on RedMi 1S
- Ergonomically phone is worse than Nexus 4. Screen is longer and I guess it will take time to adjust.
- Capacitive buttons (Menu, Home, Back) nowhere as responsive as on screen keys on Nexus 4. When using in the dark, need to guess and hunt for keys which was irritating.

Phone comes with a 2A charger (Friends say its the same as MI3) but on opening the battery cover, it says input 5V 1.0A. Don't bother using high capacity chargers, its not going to work.

I haven't used the Camera yet, so can't comment.
Old 10th September 2014, 09:09   #19148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anghammarad View Post
My Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 SM T211 screen just cracked, and with the battery issues I was having, I was hoping to pick up a replacement screen and battery. Would anyone know where I would be able to get a replacement that is legitimate and good, while being cheaper than the Samsung Galaxy store?

Thanks much
Ang
Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
Just thought of sharing the cost of screen replacement for Moto E is Rs.3600 and for Moto G it is Rs.5500 at Motorola ASC. But need to wait for a month before they get the screen it seems. Got this info when checked for a friend who broke his Moto E screen.

Get it from eBay.com and change it yourself or get it done for ~250/- from any mobile repair shop (make sure you show the dismantling videos from youtube before giving it to some general repair shop).

Samsung Tab LCD + Digitizer : 48$ (http://www.ebay.com/itm/LCD-Display-...item4ace4e5c3d)

Samsung Tab LCD : 24$ (http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Full-LCD...item486b9c392c)

Digitizer : 22$ (http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Samsung-...item2c89597630)

Moto E : 26$ (http://www.ebay.com/itm/LCD-Display-...item486971b919)

Moto G : 35$ (http://www.ebay.com/itm/LCD-Display-...item2a41fbe3cb)

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 10th September 2014 at 09:18.
Old 10th September 2014, 12:35   #19149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
Get it from eBay.com and change it yourself or get it done for ~250/- from any mobile repair shop (make sure you show the dismantling videos from Youtube before giving it to some general repair shop).

Samsung Tab LCD + Digitizer : 48$ (http://www.ebay.com/itm/LCD-Display-...item4ace4e5c3d)

Samsung Tab LCD : 24$ (http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Full-LCD...item486b9c392c)

Digitizer : 22$ (http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Samsung-...item2c89597630)
I think it's just the touch screen that's gone, but I have no way of being sure :/ The Digitizer is the touch screen part yes? and the LCD is the display unit behind it? I think I'll take it to a shop and ask them what's to be fixed first before shipping anything in.
Thanks so much for the links.

Ang
Old 10th September 2014, 12:47   #19150
BHPian

Quote:
I think it's just the touch screen that's gone, but I have no way of being sure :/ The Digitizer is the touch screen part yes? and the LCD is the display unit behind it? I think I'll take it to a shop and ask them what's to be fixed first before shipping anything in.
Thanks so much for the links.

Ang
The touch screen digitizer is fused with the LCD(including the backlight) using a thin double sided tape along the sides (you can buy a roll for 3$ : http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Mobile-P...item48694f40ca).

If you are able to remove the digitizer from the lcd and lcd doesnt have any issue, you can buy the digitizer alone, else buy both. By looking at the screen we cannot decide, the lcd can break if the digitizer is not removed properly.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 10th September 2014 at 12:49.
Old 10th September 2014, 13:57   #19151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Would anyone know where I would be able to get a replacement that is legitimate and good, while being cheaper than the Samsung Galaxy store?

Thanks much
Ang
Quote:
The touch screen digitizer is fused with the LCD(including the backlight) using a thin double sided tape along the sides

If you are able to remove the digitizer from the lcd and lcd doesnt have any issue, you can buy the digitizer alone, else buy both. By looking at the screen we cannot decide, the lcd can break if the digitizer is not removed properly.
I would like to add a word of caution here. The digitizer is stuck with the LCD, not only using double sided tape but also by some kind of UV glue.

The assembly needs to be heated to a precise 60 something degrees using special heating equipment and then the digitizer may be removed carefully using a nylon thread or something similar. The thread needs to be passed and pulled in between the digitizer and lcd.

I have learnt this the hard way(LCD also got damaged) while trying to separate the cracked digitizer from the LCD of my nexus 4.

Last edited by badboyscad : 10th September 2014 at 13:59.
Old 10th September 2014, 14:10   #19152
BHPian

Found this on the web. Is this the decline of I Phone?
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-ip6.jpg  

Old 10th September 2014, 15:05   #19153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
I would like to add a word of caution here. The digitizer is stuck with the LCD, not only using double sided tape but also by some kind of UV glue.

The assembly needs to be heated to a precise 60 something degrees using special heating equipment and then the digitizer may be removed carefully using a nylon thread or something similar. The thread needs to be passed and pulled in between the digitizer and lcd.

I have learnt this the hard way(LCD also got damaged) while trying to separate the cracked digitizer from the LCD of my nexus 4.
Yes, its very difficult to separate them esp if its a new piece. Sometimes a cracked digitizer, depending on the crack, may separate easily without much effort. Thats why I mentioned "If he is able to separate them". There is no harm in trying that as the lcd is anyway going to be changed and the digitizer is available separately.
Old 10th September 2014, 15:27   #19154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
Found this on the web. Is this the decline of I Phone?
Hahaha, yes I saw that too and share it on FB. Love it. And no, this is not the decline of the iPhone. As long as there are fanboys, the *rapple devices will continue to live on.
Old 10th September 2014, 15:31   #19155
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, its very difficult to separate them esp if its a new piece. Sometimes a cracked digitizer, depending on the crack, may separate easily without much effort. Thats why I mentioned "If he is able to separate them". There is no harm in trying that as the lcd is anyway going to be changed and the digitizer is available separately.
Wait a minute, the glass on the top is cracked, i was under the impression that was the Digitizer touch screen. From your post, I think it seems that's the LCD? Or am I misunderstanding.
Apologies, while being an avid user of the tablet, I am afraid I am not well versed with the breakdown of it's components.
Just to clarify, the digitizer (glass touch screen) seems cracked. If both are done for then i'll have to replace both, if not I can just replace the digitizer I presume, yes?

Thanks for your responses.
Ang

Most Viewed