Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2014, 13:43   #19186
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Its not perception, it came after experiencing few such ROMs.

And about MIUI rom in Defy, I don't think Defy's system partition can accommodate full version of MIUI, it must be a heavily trimmed down version of the MIUI. Then AFAIK there are some issues with CM also for the Defy.

If you want to compare two ROMs then first of all you should have access to stable versions of those ROMs for a particular device. Then only you can come onto conclusion.

I don't know about Redmi but there are few AOSP ROMs available for MI3. I am sure people who have had MIUI on their MI3 phones will agree with me after trying out AOSP ROMs on their MI3 that AOSP ROMs make the phone more lighter.
My friend, if you know better about the MIUI that my Defy has been running since 2011 (without using it!), then you're definitely right

Having said that, yes MIUI has been growing in size/bloat over time - but the OP can be rest assured that MIUI v5 will work fine on redmi for now.

As for stable ROMs - the stable CM10.2 official hasnt worked on my S3 ever. 11.0 hasn't come either. MIUI official was incidentally quite crappy as well but a developer's MIUI atop CM Kitkat cobbled version is what i use as my daily driver.

For me, the question is not whether CM11 is a tad second more responsive - the question is the feature set of the phone. To me, I don't need Samsung level of bloat - but I'm happy with all the nifty little things MIUI gives me. Yes it takes up more RAM but I'm not a gamer, and in daily usage (social media, calls, internet) if my phone flies, then that's good enough for me.

What you are completely ignoring is that the processor and camera is very different between the Redmi and the Android One phones. Maybe that doesn't matter to you. To me it does No replacement for displacement!
Old 17th September 2014, 14:01   #19187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Go for it, blindly. IMHO you are getting a MotoG level phone with an awesome camera at MotoE prices.
Redmi IS is getting lot of flak from flipkart customers. Hope you take some time and go through them in the review page.

Last edited by poloman : 17th September 2014 at 14:03.
Old 17th September 2014, 14:16   #19188
BHPian

Well, a lot of you folks here are discussing about the latest phones.
And I'm still using my 2011 Galaxy Fit :P
600Mhz Processor
280mb ram
180mb rom
3.2" display
5mpx AF cam without flash
Has survived a million drops & tossing at the wall.
The stock OS sucked. Tried different custom ROMs like Chocobread, CM7, CM9(totally unstable), ICS(unstable) & zeroed in on Razo Droid V4.0 (Based on Gingerbread) & have been using it for the past 3 years! No lag! Works like a charm.
And thinking of preserving this phone & getting the new Moto G which i hope will survive the same kind of abuse this tough lil cookie went through!
Old 17th September 2014, 15:02   #19189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
As for stable ROMs - the stable CM10.2 official hasnt worked on my S3 ever. 11.0 hasn't come either.
I am using CM11 as daily driver on S3, it is quite stable and has resolved quite a few Phone/Audio issues that were there in CM10.

http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?dev...&type=snapshot
Old 17th September 2014, 15:15   #19190
Senior - BHPian

Friends,

I bought Samsung Galaxy Grand2 phone a month back. I am very happy about the phone in all aspects, except for GPS Navigation.

Whenever, i turn on Location settings and try to navigate using Google Maps, the GPS location doesn't get locked and keeps searching for ever all the time.

Before i start, when i wait for the location to get locked (which takes quite long time, at least few minutes, not in seconds or not even less than a minute ) and starting navigating in my car, as the location changes, the phone starts to search for GPS again and the icon keeps blinking.

Effectively making navigation unusable. Anyone facing this problem and have a solution?

Thanks for your help !

-Ravi
Old 17th September 2014, 16:39   #19191
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Moto G as it has close to stock android interface. Battery life is good.
Not too comfortable buying online & I'm not sure whether stock is available either.
How is the Samsung Galaxy Core 2 ? The price has dropped from 12k to 8k effective today.
Old 17th September 2014, 17:10   #19192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post
Sir just in case he doesn't plan to buy it, can you request him to book it (as COD) for me. I couldn't get through the sale.
I spoke to him to check on your request just now, he has decided to buy it for one of his relatives already. Good luck for the next sale
Old 17th September 2014, 19:43   #19193
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Not only that much
Android One KitKat kernel source released
So AndroidOne has got better and assured future n the dev community as well.
That's a good thing if someone is ready and willing to get his hands dirty. Not much of an advantage for an average joe. I know people who are still on 2.3 and ignorant about it.

Quote:
See, its not the hardware which actually matters, its the capability of the hardware to handle a particular software. Android has big drawback that its very resource demanding OS.
Aren't you contradicting yourself here? Hardware matters a lot. If you don't have a sound foundation, you can't build on it.

Quote:
Heavily bloated interfaces make the situation worst. Chinese interfaces like MIUI maybe suitable for the Chinese people but not for those who have tasted pure form of Android.
Not correct. My last phone was a Nexus - stock android for the past 2 years. It still works with clinical precision but has zero appeal for me now. Again, design is always a subjective thing. There is a reason why all the customization apps (zooper, uccw, themer etc.) have been such huge hits!
Old 17th September 2014, 22:39   #19194
BHPian

Any idea when the new moto X will be launched in India?
Old 17th September 2014, 23:06   #19195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Not too comfortable buying online & I'm not sure whether stock is available either.
How is the Samsung Galaxy Core 2 ? The price has dropped from 12k to 8k effective today.
Hi PPS,

Do specify your requirements, so that the we'll be able to help you out. I've seen the first gen Core and that was quite a poor phone for the price. Neither here nor there sort (budget vs midrange). Felt kind of cheap and flimsy. Camera wasn't good either.

I don't know much about the new one. Would suggest to not buy an entry level Samsung as they are all underspecced+overpriced. Have you checked out the Xperia M? It's slightly old though.

EDIT:
Saw your earlier post. Decent phones in the range would be:
~7k MotoE (I know it's online, but it's a small amount)
~13k Grand Quattro (mine, decent phone)
~15k Desire 516 (don't know much)

Last edited by amolbh : 17th September 2014 at 23:11.
Old 17th September 2014, 23:26   #19196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankyz View Post

I spoke to him to check on your request just now, he has decided to buy it for one of his relatives already. Good luck for the next sale
No issues mate.
Already register for the next sale.

Wanted it as a standby phone, till I get my phone repaired.
Old 17th September 2014, 23:27   #19197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Place a COD order if you are not OK with online transactions. please avoid the Samsung low budget junk.
Old 18th September 2014, 09:35   #19198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Redmi IS is getting lot of flak from flipkart customers. Hope you take some time and go through them in the review page.
Possible. My feedback is again based on my sister/jeeja ji who've been using androids since mid 2010- so they have an idea of what is a decent feature set and are happy with it.

Quote:
MotoG is in stock and you can buy online. FK has generally been good in fulfiling MotoG orders and there have rarely been lemons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
That's a good thing if someone is ready and willing to get his hands dirty. Not much of an advantage for an average joe. I know people who are still on 2.3 and ignorant about it.

Aren't you contradicting yourself here? Hardware matters a lot. If you don't have a sound foundation, you can't build on it.

Not correct. My last phone was a Nexus - stock android for the past 2 years. It still works with clinical precision but has zero appeal for me now. Again, design is always a subjective thing. There is a reason why all the customization apps (zooper, uccw, themer etc.) have been such huge hits!
Agree fully with you

I'm just goading my wife to buy the 5S so that I can do so as well. Don't want to be buying my 4th device in 20 months while the wife's only phone completes 2 years!!
Old 18th September 2014, 09:37   #19199
Team-BHP Support

What upgrade would the next be for Android and when do we see it?
Old 18th September 2014, 09:51   #19200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
What upgrade would the next be for Android and when do we see it?
Next upgrade is titled Android L (probably Lemon Meringue Pie) is due for release anytime during September or October. Source XDA developers quoting Motorola.

Most Viewed