Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2014, 23:42   #19261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Sirje...Lenovo P780...comes with same 5.5 inch screen, costs 15K max & a whooping battery life of 4 days if you don't switch off your data connection along with wireless due its strongest 4000 mA battery
Yes P780 is known for good battery life.

But lets compare specs of both devices...

Lenovo P780 has 5" screen with 8mp primary camera, android 4.2, 1.2 ghz quad cpu, 1gb ram, expandable upto 32 gb, front camera 0.3mp.

While 816 has 5.5" screen, 13 mp primary camera, android 4.4.2, 1.6ghz quad cpu, 1.5 gb ram, expandable upto 128 gb, front camera 5mp.

I think the extra 5-6 thousands are justified.
Old 27th September 2014, 05:02   #19262
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Lenovo P780 has 5" screen with 8mp primary camera, android 4.2, 1.2 ghz quad cpu, 1gb ram, expandable upto 32 gb, front camera 0.3mp.

While 816 has 5.5" screen, 13 mp primary camera, android 4.4.2, 1.6ghz quad cpu, 1.5 gb ram, expandable upto 128 gb, front camera 5mp.

I think the extra 5-6 thousands are justified.
Not only that, the HTC has got Snapdragon processor vs Mediatek processor of the Lenovo, that too with different clock speeds. This itself is big difference in terms of performance as well as cost. Then there are stereo speakers as addition in the HTC.

Majority of low cost phones use Mediatek chips which have history of questionable reliability and performance. Though these days clock speed has come too far away so the performance doesn't bother that much.
Old 27th September 2014, 23:46   #19263
Distinguished - BHPian

Continuing my research on buying a budget Android smartphone with dual sim functionality, I have finally sort of decided to play with this new Android one phones. Dad already has an Iphone 5 for his all other use and will use this phone only for making calls majorly. Now the question is which one to opt for out of the three. Micromax vs Spice vs Karbonn. Spice phone has the lowest SAR ratings and according to few Youtube reviews, it also has marginally better speakers. On top of it, it is the cheapest out of the lot. Since the hardware and software are basically the same, I am not anticipating any trouble from them. But still how is the service centre experience for all 3?
Old 28th September 2014, 09:51   #19264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Continuing my research on buying a budget Android smartphone with dual sim functionality, I have finally sort of decided to play with this new Android one phones. Dad already has an Iphone 5 for his all other use and will use this phone only for making calls majorly. Now the question is which one to opt for out of the three. Micromax vs Spice vs Karbonn. Spice phone has the lowest SAR ratings and according to few Youtube reviews, it also has marginally better speakers. On top of it, it is the cheapest out of the lot. Since the hardware and software are basically the same, I am not anticipating any trouble from them. But still how is the service centre experience for all 3?
Curious why you ruled out the redmi and the Asus? I thought the Asus was a killer package, as was the Moto E.
Old 28th September 2014, 11:06   #19265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Curious why you ruled out the redmi and the Asus?
Redmi, maybe since its not available??

I think its easier to please your favourite Gods n get the phone as a reward from Them directly, than getting it from Flipkart!
Old 28th September 2014, 19:58   #19266
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Curious why you ruled out the redmi and the Asus? I thought the Asus was a killer package, as was the Moto E.
Redmi due to lack of availability. Haven't checked out the Asus at all. Which model are we talking about? Moto E has practically the same hardware as these android one devices but suffers from a poor camera without a flash, one function that might be used sometime maybe. Other than that I couldn't find a reason to pay 1k more for the Moto E over the android one devices. Both will get the latest Android updates. Am I missing something?
Old 28th September 2014, 20:32   #19267
BHPian

Please avoid Asus. 2 friends bought it. One is having battery problem(doesn't last more than 6 hours without WiFi/2g) and connectivity issues. Other guy has display problem. Went to service center. There was long queue and many people had similar 2 issues as mentioned above
Old 28th September 2014, 21:25   #19268
BHPian

Maybe not the right forum, but still posting here.

Got the new Moto G for my mom. She is using a CellOne postpaid connection. Approached my local cell phone shop guy to cut the sim n make it a micro sim. But he says that CellOne sims might not work properly after cutting as their yellow-brass area is big compared to other sims. He didn't have any problems cutting my Airtel sim when I changed my phone.

Is he right?? Anyone else on the forum faced similar issues with their CellOne sims??
Old 28th September 2014, 21:26   #19269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Redmi due to lack of availability. Haven't checked out the Asus at all. Which model are we talking about? Moto E has practically the same hardware as these android one devices but suffers from a poor camera without a flash, one function that might be used sometime maybe. Other than that I couldn't find a reason to pay 1k more for the Moto E over the android one devices. Both will get the latest Android updates. Am I missing something?
Probably you are... there is a difference in build quality. Motorola phone are build to last. Moto E offers Gorilla glass 3 and water repellant coating which is not even available at phones which cost twice.

If you want the phone for a longer term, go for Moto E.
And Motorola updates are superfast...just after the nexus devices.
Old 28th September 2014, 21:36   #19270
BHPian

Hey no problem in cutting the cellone sims as myself and another 2 friends of mine are using Gen1 MotoG's with cut cellone sims.
Old 28th September 2014, 21:48   #19271
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Maybe not the right forum, but still posting here.

Got the new Moto G for my mom. She is using a CellOne postpaid connection. Approached my local cell phone shop guy to cut the sim n make it a micro sim. But he says that CellOne sims might not work properly after cutting as their yellow-brass area is big compared to other sims. He didn't have any problems cutting my Airtel sim when I changed my phone.

Is he right?? Anyone else on the forum faced similar issues with their CellOne sims??
My Moto G has a cut Cellone sim but mine was the newer one with small chip area and it was cut at local shop, no issues as such. On the other hand, my Dad's Moto G has an old gen Cellone sim which was cut by me. The corner which has the small cut had the chip area and sim was not fitting in properly. So I cut into the chip area fearing that it will not work, but somehow it worked and still works.
Old 28th September 2014, 22:00   #19272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
Hey no problem in cutting the cellone sims as myself and another 2 friends of mine are using Gen1 MotoG's with cut cellone sims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
My Moto G has a cut Cellone sim but mine was the newer one with small chip area and it was cut at local shop, no issues as such. On the other hand, my Dad's Moto G has an old gen Cellone sim which was cut by me. The corner which has the small cut had the chip area and sim was not fitting in properly. So I cut into the chip area fearing that it will not work, but somehow it worked and still works.
Appreciate the prompt replies!

So what is the worst case scenario?? I cut the sim at the local shop - it doesn't work - I apply for a new sim? In that case I'll get the new gen sim which can be cut without any problems, right??
Old 28th September 2014, 22:36   #19273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Probably you are... there is a difference in build quality. Motorola phone are build to last. Moto E offers Gorilla glass 3 and water repellant coating which is not even available at phones which cost twice.
One more major difference is Mediatek processor of the A1 vs Snapdragon of the Moto E. When we call a processor in the mobile then its not only the processor like computers, rather its the whole chipset which includes GPU, GPS, modem and many other sensors etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
So what is the worst case scenario?? I cut the sim at the local shop - it doesn't work - I apply for a new sim? In that case I'll get the new gen sim which can be cut without any problems, right??
No need to cut, instead get the micro or nano sim whichever is compatible with your phone

Last edited by tbppjpr : 28th September 2014 at 22:40.
Old 29th September 2014, 01:12   #19274
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Need some help from the experts.
My "Not-so-Smart" phone, a Samsung Galaxy Grand is running slower by the day. I have installed "Clean Master" and clean it twice a day at least. Whenever I clean it the message says "150MB of RAM released" but the speed does not improve and a few minutes later the icon again shows 90% of RAM in use. I have also trued DU Battery and Speed Booster but still no luck. Sometimes I get a message saying the McAfee is slowing down the phone by 30% and causing the phone to heat up. Tried uninstalling McAfee today and the phone got locked. Had to send a mail to McAfee and get a password to unlock the phone.
I do not have any videos stored on the phone. Only a few pics - maybe 20. No games. Used only for calls, SMS, What's App, Hike (rarely) and reading GMail. Still when I try to find a contact it takes ages to load the contacts page. Same thing when trying to make a call.
I have started calling it a "Stupid" phone now. Ready to chuck it in the bin!! Never had any of these issues with my old Nokia's.

Would appreciate any advice.

Regards,
SS
Old 29th September 2014, 06:25   #19275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Guys,

Need some help from the experts.
My "Not-so-Smart" phone, a Samsung Galaxy Grand is running slower by the day. I have installed "Clean Master" and clean it twice a day at least. Whenever I clean it the message says "150MB of RAM released" but the speed does not improve and a few minutes later the icon again shows 90% of RAM in use. I have also trued DU Battery and Speed Booster but still no luck. Sometimes I get a message saying the McAfee is slowing down the phone by 30% and causing the phone to heat up. Tried uninstalling McAfee today and the phone got locked. Had to send a mail to McAfee and get a password to unlock the phone.
I do not have any videos stored on the phone. Only a few pics - maybe 20. No games. Used only for calls, SMS, What's App, Hike (rarely) and reading GMail. Still when I try to find a contact it takes ages to load the contacts page. Same thing when trying to make a call.
I have started calling it a "Stupid" phone now. Ready to chuck it in the bin!! Never had any of these issues with my old Nokia's.

Would appreciate any advice.

Regards,
SS
Issue is with stock Touchwiz of Samsung. Try installing AOSP ROM! Or just debloat your stock ROM!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks