Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2014, 14:55   #19396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Flipkart just delivered the first of the 2 Moto X's that we have ordered. Phone is really nice and feels light too. Loved the screen and camera is also decent. Will give a detailed esp. battery after a weeks use.
Have you updated to 4.4.4? How's the battery of your moto X? I updated right after I got the phone and the battery life is pretty bad. Loses almost 20% overnight. Did some searching and found that this is a problem with the 4.4.4 update.
Old 12th October 2014, 15:09   #19397
Senior - BHPian

For prospective RedMi 1S users-
NDTV: 1,00,000 Xiaomi Redmi 1S Units to Go on Sale via Flipkart on Tuesday. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwk7mC3x8
Old 12th October 2014, 22:12   #19398
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraj25 View Post
Have you updated to 4.4.4? How's the battery of your moto X? I updated right after I got the phone and the battery life is pretty bad. Loses almost 20% overnight. Did some searching and found that this is a problem with the 4.4.4 update.
it was 4.4.4 out of the box for me. Well mine is Moto X gen 2.

Since morning the battery drop was just 44% , an uptime of 13 hours 23 mins. Not too bad considering the mobile was in location with bad signal for almost 6 hours. I was expecting less than a day with moderate usage. But lookslike it will comfortably last a whole day.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20141012220303.png
Old 12th October 2014, 22:47   #19399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
it was 4.4.4 out of the box for me. Well mine is Moto X gen 2.
Oh my bad. I thought it was the 1st gen. Anyways, congratulations on getting a beast of a phone! I always wondered how long the 'tiny' 2300mAh battery will keep the phone alive with all that hardware, but I guess the guys at moto sure do know what they're doing.
Old 13th October 2014, 11:37   #19400
BHPian

Hi,

I am using SE Xperia MT11i with android version 4.0.4.
All the apps I use except one are paid ones inorder to avoid ads and get full spec obviously.
The exception is TOI app which has ads in abundance and there is no paid version.
Now, can anyone suggest a good ad blocker (free or paid) which works.
Edit: Phone is rooted.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by rajivr1612 : 13th October 2014 at 11:44.
Old 13th October 2014, 11:58   #19401
Senior - BHPian

Had a chance to see Redmi 1s. And I was no surprised to find a matchbox thick phone. Having used MIUI as a custom ROM on my Spice phone earlier I found nothing new and appealing in the phone apart from camera and specs the looks are pathetic.
Old 13th October 2014, 12:01   #19402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
The exception is TOI app which has ads in abundance and there is no paid version.
Now, can anyone suggest a good ad blocker (free or paid) which works.
Edit: Phone is rooted.
Thanks in advance.
Why using TOI in first place, use Google Play Newsstand instead. You can add any of your favorite news source or category in the Newsstand.
Old 13th October 2014, 12:18   #19403
BHPian

Guys, which is the best ROM for note 2?
Old 13th October 2014, 17:51   #19404
Distinguished - BHPian

I am facing a weird problem with motorola phones. Has happened to 3 phones now.
The Moto E and Moto G do not ship with a USB cable. Had ordered 2 Moto E and one Moto G for my close relatives. Each of the three phones were switched on and then connected to the laptop via a USB cable ( old one lying from a Samsung unit) to transfer some media files. As soon as they connected the data cable, the phone switched off.

The Moto G was the first one to switch off and this happened 2 months back. It was with my cousin sister. She got scared that she broke a new phone and just kept it on charge after this. Apparently the next day the phone restarted.
The second time this same thing happened was yesterday with a Moto E that I had ordered for my cousin sister's dad. The phone just died down and is refusing to restart now. This was when my sister confessed that the same thing had happened with her phone too. Have raised a complaint with Flipkart.

Any reason's for this? Should I go buy a motorola official cable only? I was under the impression that we can use any cable and any charger with any phone. Have been myself using a Nokia data cable and Samsung charger in my Nexus 5 from last 8 months now without any issues.

The third Moto E that I had ordered in this sale alos showed a problem. It got switched on initially and later when the user went and got a micro Sim and inserted it, the phone refused to start back. Have raised a complaint for that too.

Really feel let down by Motorola specially when everyone in family was advising to opt for the traditional companies and avoid Motorola. And I insisted. Anyways any pointers to what may be wrong here?
Old 13th October 2014, 20:13   #19405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkynerd View Post
OnePlus One user here. I review gadgets, so I've used a while bunch of devices this year (One M8, GS5, One E8, Z2, Moto X 2014) and at least in my view, nothing is as good. Honestly didn't think that the phone would turn out to be as amazing as it is.

Size of the device itself is a slight concern as I have always stuck with sub-5 inch mobiles thus far, but I've gotten used to the 5.5-inch screen (which is also awesome).
Yup have been using it for some time now and apart from glitches which have been sorted by the updates, the phone is wonderful especially the battery, just live it. I saw the Huawaei Honor 6 seems to be quite impressive on paper and pricing as well.
Old 13th October 2014, 20:18   #19406
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Its a bug with Motorolas. The laptop or PC you're connecting it to doesn't have compatible drivers which screws up the phone somehow. It usually starts back up with 1% battery life. Was it a Mac you connected it to?

Charge your phone with the supplied charger for five hours(it might not show its charging - its okay - let it charge). Usually it starts back up with no history or recollection of what happened to it (battery settings screen or call logs).

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Last edited by Aditya : 20th October 2014 at 12:55. Reason: See mod note
Old 13th October 2014, 21:11   #19407
BHPian

Quote:

Anyways any pointers to what may be wrong here?
It is a bug with Moto phones.

Like Harneet said, it can happen when your PC does not have compatible drivers, or can also happen(very rarely) when the phone's battery gets completely discharged and becomes dead.

In such cases, the phone may refuse to boot up again. This has once happened to my Moto G as well.

You can try the method as suggested above, or try this:
  1. Plug it into the charger
  2. Hold the VOL DOWN key
  3. While still holding the VOL DOWN key, press and hold the POWER key
  4. Hold both keys down for over 120 seconds. This is more than two minutes and will seem like a long time. You might want to time yourself to make sure you hold it longer than two minutes.
  5. After holding the keys down for more than two minutes, release them.
  6. The Flash Boot screen will display, and the Normal Reboot option will be highlighted
  7. Press the VOL UP key and the device will start a normal reboot.
This method worked for me. Good luck!

Source: Moto forums

Last edited by Speed.Demon : 13th October 2014 at 21:13. Reason: Added source
Old 13th October 2014, 21:58   #19408
BHPian

If there is emergency and you want to quickly boot the phone while battery is dead then no need to press so many buttons or apply any complex trick. Just press and hold the phone's power button before starting the the battery charge and turn on recharge when power button is on hold and you will see the boot screen.

Its not a bug rather its present there in almost all the Motorola phones. AFAIK its some kind of protection feature which prevents the device to power up when very low battery juice is left is left. The phone will boot up normally when battery charge level has reached to 10% or so (not sure about exact level).
Old 13th October 2014, 22:29   #19409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harneet.S View Post
Its a bug with Motorolas. The laptop or PC you're connecting it to doesn't have compatible drivers which screws up the phone somehow. It usually starts back up with 1% battery life. Was it a Mac you connected it to?

Charge your phone with the supplied charger for five hours(it might not show its charging - its okay - let it charge). Usually it starts back up with no history or recollection of what happened to it (battery settings screen or call logs).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
It is a bug with Moto phones.

Like Harneet said, it can happen when your PC does not have compatible drivers, or can also happen(very rarely) when the phone's battery gets completely discharged and becomes dead.
Sorry guys. Tried both the options but neither worked. The phone is as dead as before. Hopefully Flipkart will replace the set. But what is the solution to this problem? I connect my Samsung galaxy S2 and now the Nexus 5 without a second thought in any laptop or computer. What do I need to do to ensure that the Moto phone works with the PC/laptop?
Old 13th October 2014, 22:56   #19410
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry guys. Tried both the options but neither worked. The phone is as dead as before. Hopefully Flipkart will replace the set. But what is the solution to this problem? I connect my Samsung galaxy S2 and now the Nexus 5 without a second thought in any laptop or computer. What do I need to do to ensure that the Moto phone works with the PC/laptop?
Since problem repeated in more than one phone and I guess more than one computers were used, it looks like issue is with the cable, not with the devices.

Here are couple of threads which also convey the same :

http://forums.androidcentral.com/mot...dont-work.html

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/8c6a5ce1fb

There are many Motorola phones in my family ranging from current generation to 2-3 older generation Android phones. Never seen such issue in any of them. Forget Motorola, never seen this problem in any of the phone, even in cheap Chinese phones. So I think you got some cable which these phone are not liking.

Quote:
Really feel let down by Motorola specially when everyone in family was advising to opt for the traditional companies and avoid Motorola.
Really? Which company can be more traditional than Motorola? All others are newly born kids who learnt many things in the mobile technology from Motorola.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 13th October 2014 at 23:00.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks