Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2014, 08:36   #19546
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Would it not have been nicer to resell the S3? You would definitely have gotten 10-11k on OLX!

Did the S3 lag a lot?

@Naveen - *sigh*
Oh My god. The S3 lags like anything. I am on the verge of throwing it out and picking up the new 2014 Moto X.
Old 29th October 2014, 08:44   #19547
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Would it not have been nicer to resell the S3? You would definitely have gotten 10-11k on OLX!

Did the S3 lag a lot?

@Naveen - *sigh*
Yup it was absolutely pathetic and especially with the Notes traveller office email app, it used to lag like crazy. Also another thing I found very irritating was that when there was an incoming call, I would not be able to pick it up by sliding the green icon and it just would not work! I could not root and mod it as our company policies did not allow rooted phones. The glass screen of my S3 had also shattered once which I got replaced locally for 2700. It had quite a few dents too. I was just too happy to get rid of it finally! The S3 has to be amongst one of the worst phones made by Samsung. Even my s2 was much better than it. (Just personal view!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Oh My god. The S3 lags like anything. I am on the verge of throwing it out and picking up the new 2014 Moto X.

Last edited by Behemoth : 29th October 2014 at 08:46.
Old 29th October 2014, 08:59   #19548
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
I am not trolling but a serious question - what about the NSA that monitors ALL data across the world?
Quote:
Exactly my point. People wake up when China is mentioned. When it comes to US we are always lethargic and sleepy and optimistic - a potential foe far away is much more benign than an aggressive foe breathing down our borders!

Would be curious to know Israeli army policies. Surely they have already thought through this issue many years back!
Very true. Similar posts are going around in the internal discussion board of my company - how Xiaomi is a threat to the national security and that Chinese govt. is subsidizing its products. Did not even bother to reply on that thread. Waste of time, I say.

All the Indian startup companies source their phones from some or the other Chinese manufacturer - would love to see how they fare in such tests. If the Chinese indeed want to take over the world through phones, am sure they must be planting such 'rougue' agents in every phone being manufactured there.
Old 29th October 2014, 09:13   #19549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Yup it was absolutely pathetic and especially with the Notes traveller office email app, it used to lag like crazy. Also another thing I found very irritating was that when there was an incoming call, I would not be able to pick it up by sliding the green icon and it just would not work! I could not root and mod it as our company policies did not allow rooted phones. The glass screen of my S3 had also shattered once which I got replaced locally for 2700. It had quite a few dents too. I was just too happy to get rid of it finally! The S3 has to be amongst one of the worst phones made by Samsung. Even my s2 was much better than it. (Just personal view!)
Interesting. So *I* was not the only one hating it on the forum. I know at least ten such folks who absolutely hated their S3.

Behemoth saab had you asked me - I could've suggested a nice easy CM11 official ROM, then guided you how to remove root. Then your company's official email app would have run without an issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Very true. Similar posts are going around in the internal discussion board of my company - how Xiaomi is a threat to the national security and that Chinese govt. is subsidizing its products. Did not even bother to reply on that thread. Waste of time, I say.

All the Indian startup companies source their phones from some or the other Chinese manufacturer - would love to see how they fare in such tests. If the Chinese indeed want to take over the world through phones, am sure they must be planting such 'rougue' agents in every phone being manufactured there.
Just for reference, Micromax and Xolo phones didn't include their names in their phone's dictionary as of 6 months back (Canvas Turbo and Q1000S). Given that the base kernel and low level drivers are made by the SOC manufacturer (mediatek), I wouldn't be too surprised if someone alleged something similar for them as well
Old 29th October 2014, 10:30   #19550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
This is the screenshot of my phone's(htc desire 816) internal memory and I am wondering what all is consuming 5+GB of data in 'others' category. How can I have access to this section and free up some precious internal memory!

Edit: also I was wondering how my apps could account to 1+gb of space as I have only installed basic apps like whatsapp, tbhp, tapatalk, gmail, fb(which i don't use anyways), saavn, clean master and couple of such apps. I have disabled most of stock bloatware app.
Here is a screenshot of my phone's memory usage, specifically WhatsApp, taken just now. 1.4 Gb !!

I am cleaning it out now and will restore the lost Gbs'.

Name:  ForumRunner_20141029_103007.png
Views: 562
Size:  56.9 KB

You can install Cleanmaster. Does RAM cleanup + Disk space management.
Old 29th October 2014, 11:17   #19551
BANNED

I got on online notification from htc for an update no. 5.05.651.2 for my Sprint One M7. I was not really expecting Lollipop so soon, and downloaded and installed the 325 MB update. It turned out to be a firmware upgrade. Often software updates mess up the htc one since it is biased towards CDMA and I am now on Vodafone GSM. Went through smoothly. Only glitch was a messing up of the Roaming Network selection. Yesterday night while returning from Kolkata I found zero signal at Dhanbad. So I fished around and switched it back to automatic. Phone is marginally smoother now.
Old 29th October 2014, 11:25   #19552
BHPian

Quote:
Interesting. So *I* was not the only one hating it on the forum. I know at least ten such folks who absolutely hated their S3.
No, you're not the only one. I always look on and smirk slightly whenever I see my cousin struggle with his S3. ( he ignored me when I told him to get the Xperia Z )

Shame, really. I do like that AMOLED panel and the camera.

Viddy - do get the new Moto X man, it's one hell of a phone.
Old 29th October 2014, 11:35   #19553
BHPian

Quote:
Opicking up the new 2014 Moto X.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Viddy - do get the new Moto X man, it's one hell of a phone.
Is there any concrete info on availability of 32 GB version in India? Have contacted Motorola and Flipkart and none of them are giving clear answer.

16 GB means 9-10GB in hand which I think very low space these days. But still not a big price for the device quality and software experience user going to get unless storage space is the sole priority. Undoubtedly a top smartphone today.
Old 29th October 2014, 14:01   #19554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Is there any concrete info on availability of 32 GB version in India? Have contacted Motorola and Flipkart and none of them are giving clear answer.

16 GB means 9-10GB in hand which I think very low space these days. But still not a big price for the device quality and software experience user going to get unless storage space is the sole priority. Undoubtedly a top smartphone today.

No, nothing confirmed as of now.

Maybe they think that the higher price of the 32GB version will lead to a sales dud? I dunno.

The 16GB version gets 9.6GB of user available storage out of the box.
Certainly not enough for the media hogs, but it should be OK for the casual users.
Old 29th October 2014, 14:19   #19555
BHPian

IAF has confirmed that their advisory regarding Xiaomi phones is a few months old.

http://www.financialexpress.com/news...es-iaf/1302741

Last edited by Puneet.S : 29th October 2014 at 14:22.
Old 29th October 2014, 15:21   #19556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not trolling but a serious question - what about the NSA that monitors ALL data across the world?
Not all data NaveenRoy the data on which they can lay their hands on
this is the reason almost all armed forces across the world use On-premise servers and Cloud solutions in their own server installations.

About Indian AF they do not even trust public GSM /3G network run by operators and run their own network for communication between Air force personals

Quote:
Exactly my point. People wake up when China is mentioned. When it comes to US we are always lethargic and sleepy and optimistic - a potential foe far away is much more benign than an aggressive foe breathing down our borders!

Would be curious to know Israeli army policies. Surely they have already thought through this issue many years back!
Well I have some awareness obout Israel defence force requirements and they do exactly what I said in point (1)

In India also decision makers are not that dumb in my extremely limited interactions with some key people related to data security in Indian defence sector they are already aware and systems deployed for classified use are closely scrutinized this is one of the reason the communication equipment up-gradation is extremely slow process and you still see ancient looking gadgets in operations.

Every country in world tries to moniter data including India FYI India also has one full time agency NTRO for data monitoring they don't get much limelight like NSA but I believe they do collect significant data and India was one of the few countries in the world to force BB to set-up data-centre in the country so that it can be monitored.

To answer your point on weariness about China if you remember we do share a very long and disputed border with that country and incursions do keep on happening so that country deserves attention.

Last edited by amitk26 : 29th October 2014 at 15:30.
Old 29th October 2014, 15:48   #19557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Quote:
Just for reference, Micromax and Xolo phones didn't include their names in their phone's dictionary as of 6 months back (Canvas Turbo and Q1000S). Given that the base kernel and low level drivers are made by the SOC manufacturer (mediatek), I wouldn't be too surprised if someone alleged something similar for them as well
so true. FUD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
To answer your point on weariness about China if you remember we do share a very long and disputed border with that country and incursions do keep on happening so that country deserves attention.
Yeah agreed about the threat. But my point was why NO ONE makes a hue and cry about the NSA. But that is for another thread I guess and let's end this here before some mod decides to kick us out

Last edited by naveenroy : 29th October 2014 at 15:50.
Old 29th October 2014, 16:07   #19558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Get it. I got mine a couple of weeks back.
Old 29th October 2014, 16:13   #19559
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Get it. I got mine a couple of weeks back.
You know me na. First the case and the matte screenguard, then I will buy the phone.

Oh and I need to sell the S3 also.
Old 29th October 2014, 16:26   #19560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah agreed about the threat. But my point was why NO ONE makes a hue and cry about the NSA. But that is for another thread I guess and let's end this here before some mod decides to kick us out
Well there is huge hue and cry about NSA just that may be you missed.
And also one of the reason Lava , Xolo is not there in regulated sector is what you stated.

I don't want to digress too much but lets understand one thing there are only couple of companies in the world which provides secure mobile phones and customizations catering to regulated sectors. An individual's requirement is different from defence forces , Forget about India even US of A does not accept any normal phone including i Devices and normal Androids they have something called DISA STIG compliance requirement for using phones in their environment to securtize against their own googles , facebooks and any other.

Have a look at this link to find what all consumer mobile phones are compliant. please note the popular devices listed here are deployed under special circumstances when the network components are also secularized as per DISA requirements.

http://www.disa.mil/Services/Enterpr...eless-Services

Most Viewed