Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2014, 13:36   #19591
BHPian

Guys, I am planning to upgrade to a Galaxy S5 LTE from Samsung e-store. Priced @ around 40k. Is it worth it, or are there any comparable phones @ a lower price band? Been using a Galaxy S2 (pre-ordered before launch) for the past 3 years, been happy with performance & reliability.
Old 1st November 2014, 14:24   #19592
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Guys, I am planning to upgrade to a Galaxy S5 LTE from Samsung e-store. Priced @ around 40k. Is it worth it, or are there any comparable phones @ a lower price band? Been using a Galaxy S2 (pre-ordered before launch) for the past 3 years, been happy with performance & reliability.
Do look at the Note 3 Neo too. It is a good speced phone at a decent price of 23500. I bought one recently and am very happy with it.
Old 1st November 2014, 14:25   #19593
BHPian

Quote:
Sir, I recommend the 2nd Gen Moto X over the Galaxy S5. At 32k its way more VFM than the S5 at 40k! I had the S5 for a few months and the lags and frame drops due to the heavy TouchWiz UI got on my nerves. I expect a flagship to perform flawlessly at all times and the Moto does just that.
But the camera on the S5 is way better than the one on the moto!
Old 1st November 2014, 16:15   #19594
BHPian

Quote:
If possible wait till nexus 6 and droid turbo are launched. There will be some price revisions.
Old 1st November 2014, 16:30   #19595
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Each of the above phones have their short comings.

MOTO X - Only 16 GB without SD card slot , so space available for the user is 12 GB.
S5 - Very good phone but lags with touchwiz, you can change the launcher or install a custom rom without touch wiz.
Nexus 6 - The price should be upwards of 40K, battery life wont be great, average camera but the joy of owning the nexus series is unmatched.
Droid Turbo - Poor camera and there is no news when it is going to come to India.
Note 3 Neo - One of those many samsung models which would be junked by Samsung after 1 yr.

If you are not in a hurry, wait for One Plus One which is slated for INDIA launch.

LG G3 is also a worthy contender, you can get it from amazon at 37K. Superb phone.
Old 1st November 2014, 16:50   #19596
BHPian

Thanks guys, appreciate your prompt, frank, meaningful advices!
Old 1st November 2014, 17:27   #19597
BHPian

I know that it's a bit more expensive, but why not consider the HTC One M8?

It's been recently relaunched as the M8 Eye, and that fixes the only complaint that customers had with it - the camera.

With the M8 Eye, HTC have ditched the 4MP camera and have replaced it with a 13MP one.

I am a huge fan of the Moto X, but you cannot ignore the beautiful build quality of the M8.
Old 1st November 2014, 18:06   #19598
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Been using a Galaxy S2 (pre-ordered before launch) for the past 3 years, been happy with performance & reliability.
From Samsung, either get yourself a Note 4 or the Alpha. IMO, as far as Samsung is considered, Note series are pretty good phones.

In that budget, I would prefer a HTC or the Nexus. Have been hearing good things about the LG G3, please do have a good look at it as well.

EDIT:-

When can us Nexus users expect the Lollipop? (How cheesy )

Last edited by Sheel : 1st November 2014 at 18:12.
Old 1st November 2014, 20:04   #19599
Senior - BHPian

Lollipop for current Nexus devices is expected on 3rd November.
Old 1st November 2014, 20:36   #19600
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
From Samsung, either get yourself a Note 4 or the Alpha. IMO, as far as Samsung is considered, Note series are pretty good phones.

In that budget, I would prefer a HTC or the Nexus. Have been hearing good things about the LG G3, please do have a good look at it as well.

EDIT:-

When can us Nexus users expect the Lollipop? (How cheesy )
I saw the Alpha recently and honestly it is just a bling phone and not at all worth the price. The small battery size 2100 mah iirc was a complete turnoff. It is a phone which just tries too hard to please but lacks real capability and will not last even 12 hours. Avoid the Alpha. The note 5 is good but again overpriced. In 6 months the price should drop at least 20%. Personally I prefer to buy phones at least 6-9 months after launch when the prices are stabilized at realistic levels.
Old 1st November 2014, 21:09   #19601
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
I saw the Alpha recently and honestly it is just a bling phone and not at all worth the price. The small battery size 2100 mah iirc was a complete turnoff. It is a phone which just tries too hard to please but lacks real capability and will not last even 12 hours. Avoid the Alpha. The note 5 is good but again overpriced. In 6 months the price should drop at least 20%. Personally I prefer to buy phones at least 6-9 months after launch when the prices are stabilized at realistic levels.
Yup, Aplha is all about metal design. The screen is 720P and it has that laggy octa core processor and 12 MP camera at 39K.

LG G3 beats it hollow at that price.
Old 1st November 2014, 22:04   #19602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by umvarma View Post
I use "Smart TV Remote" app (tab version). It is much more comfortable than using the TV remote.
I have that app also Sam tv remote. But I am looking for app using which I can type alphabets and numerals for searching in youtube app, like wireless keyboard or may be I have not figured it out how to use this app for input of alphanumeric while using my Samsung smart plasma.
Old 2nd November 2014, 07:35   #19603
Distinguished - BHPian

Have a new tablet: Asus Fonepad. Flipkart screwed up the delivery, but it has arrived n the end. Charged it overnight, and we have to go to a wedding this morning, so will only be playing with the new toy later today.

It is intended for Mrs G. She is new to Android and to touch screens. If she doesn't like it, it will be mine: if she does, I'll probably buy another one
Old 2nd November 2014, 08:38   #19604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Have a new tablet: Asus Fonepad. Flipkart screwed up the delivery, but it has arrived n the end. Charged it overnight, and we have to go to a wedding this morning, so will only be playing with the new toy later today.
I'm very interested in the Fonepad as well.

Do give us a review once you've spent some quality time with it.
Old 2nd November 2014, 09:42   #19605
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
I know that it's a bit more expensive, but why not consider the HTC One M8?
I have had the M7 for two years (in the Sprint - CDMA/GSM avatar), cracked and MEID registered. Lovely phone. I was on CDMA (Reliance) for over a year and am now on GSM. Excellent in both.

Only flaw, occasionally it drops into Reliance (CDMA) mode.

Remember rooting htc phones can be a pain, no OTA updates, and you have to go S-off and the install the new RUU, and then unlock again. I stopped rooting since I went to Kitkat.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks