Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2014, 17:40   #19816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post
Guys,

What is a good app for blocking calls using wildcards? Of late, I am getting too many calls/texts from marketeers even with DND, most of them from 1402/9 numbers and TD-xxxx numbers.

I am running 4.1.2 on Galaxy S2.

P
I am using Embware Blocker.
A tiny free app with no ads.
Using it since last 1.5 years.
Working very well.
Old 20th November 2014, 17:54   #19817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The biggest app I'm likely to install is Sygic navigation, and with maps, that is probably Gb-plus, but that will go on the SD card. Thinking I might even get 64Gb!
I think Mapmyindia has stopped providing their maps to Sygic. They have come up with their own app named Navimaps. Do check them out. Also the Nokia here maps are available. But Navimaps seems to provide more functions
Old 20th November 2014, 20:08   #19818
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

How does one block all the spammers (incl easemytrip) on whatsapp? These idiots just don't stop man! You can't even DND them!
Old 20th November 2014, 22:58   #19819
BHPian

Got the OTA notice to upgrade to Android 5.0 earlier this week. On reading the reviews, I think its best to pass, until they come out with a next version.
Old 21st November 2014, 08:44   #19820
Senior - BHPian

Upgraded to 5.0 today I like the changes especially on the notifications front. Even the dialer changes are good & useful.

Battery life hasn't improved. But I am guessing it will start to stabilize once all the apps are streamlined. No noticable improvement over 4.4.4.

One good thing about the upgrade is how easy it was compared to the iOS 8 upgrade. I even lost all my content when upgrading to 8.1 as I had to do a factory reset to bring back my iPad.

Hope things improve from here.
Old 21st November 2014, 08:51   #19821
Team-BHP Support

Just upgraded to 5.0

MX Player doesn't work anymore. Google Quick Office uninstalled itself, dunno why. Not that I needed it.

Any good video player for 5.0?

Like the upgrade though
Old 21st November 2014, 09:48   #19822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post
Guys,

What is a good app for blocking calls using wildcards?..
I think Samsung has inbuilt call rejection facility in the call logs screen. Go to call settings in menu options in the call log screen. Here you can see Call rejection. Under this, you can add number in the Auto reject list using options like starts with etc.

BTW,I'm using Call Control app on Moto G 2nd gen which supports wild card filtering.
Old 21st November 2014, 09:56   #19823
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
Got the OTA notice to upgrade to Android 5.0 earlier this week. On reading the reviews, I think its best to pass, until they come out with a next version.
Wise idea. See what ZDNet has put out
http://www.zdnet.com/android-lollipo...tag=TRE17cfd61
Old 21st November 2014, 10:01   #19824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Just upgraded to 5.0

MX Player doesn't work anymore. Google Quick Office uninstalled itself, dunno why. Not that I needed it.

Any good video player for 5.0?

Like the upgrade though
If you were following along on XDA, there's a working 'nightly test' build of MX in the first sticky. Works great on Nexus 5 for Lollipop. Disappointed that the developer did not leave a note on the Play Store.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/apps...issue-t2909957

Direct link for download here.
https://sites.google.com/site/mxvpen...ion/test-build

Now wish someone had an alternative to SkipLock. Google has implemented it's own Smart lock in Lollipop, but I'd sooner trust WiFi, than some 'places' definition.

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/11/18...rusted-places/
Old 21st November 2014, 10:13   #19825
BHPian

Android 5.0 uses ART instead of Dalvik. Those who were on Dalvik before, may face issues on 5.0 with some apps which don't work on ART properly. The app developers need to get their act together and fix their compatibility issues soon.

There is no way of going back to Dalvik from ART in 5.0 (It was an option in Kitkat)
Old 21st November 2014, 17:08   #19826

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Wise idea. See what ZDNet has put out
http://www.zdnet.com/android-lollipo...tag=TRE17cfd61
I upgraded to 5.0 on my Nexus5 and its a safe upgrade I suppose. Those issues discussed on the link might be just one-off or some iOS fanboy throwing some speculations in the air. I upgraded without any glitches. Only noticeable issue is MxPlayer not working. I guess the guys are already fixing that.

You can't really stay away from this upgrade. Lot of visual goodness, believe me !
Old 21st November 2014, 19:48   #19827
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaideepnaidu.12 View Post
Those issues discussed on the link might be just one-off or some iOS fanboy throwing some speculations in the air.
Still waiting for upgrade for my Sprint htc One, expected by mid January. ZDNet is Ziff Davis Net, a very reputable group, not some iPhone fanboys.
Old 21st November 2014, 20:17   #19828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaideepnaidu.12 View Post
I upgraded to 5.0 on my Nexus5 and its a safe upgrade I suppose. Those issues discussed on the link might be just one-off or some iOS fanboy throwing some speculations in the air. I upgraded without any glitches. Only noticeable issue is MxPlayer not working. I guess the guys are already fixing that.

You can't really stay away from this upgrade. Lot of visual goodness, believe me !
And MX player update appears on the playstore. Please update.

OTA updates are the norm now, and even Apple with its tightly controlled rollouts in a closed ecosystem has issues. Calling someone unfortunate to be facing issues a 'fanboy' and dissing media reports is maybe uncalled for.

That said the new notification system and beauty of Lollipop Material design are a pleasure on the right hardware.
Old 21st November 2014, 21:08   #19829
Senior - BHPian

All major apps on my Note 2 got updated to support 5.0. But i don't know yet for sure, if Note 2 itself will get 5.0. Some sites say no and some say yes.
Anyway Samsung always joins the party late, so just wait and watch.
Old 21st November 2014, 21:19   #19830
BHPian

Even my friend has a smooth upgrade on his Nexus 5. I also have a Note 2 in family. Leave alone 5, even it is not updated to 4.4.4 and still stays on 4.4.2.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks