Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2015, 08:50   #21646
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Thats a damn nice deal. Hope you picked it up. The camera alone makes it better than the latest crop of OPT and what not (unless the OPT camera is surprisingly good, which I doubt).
LG G3 has got terrible camera. Over post processing by the camera software makes pictures look like cartoons, water paintings. Only thicker details can be made out otherwise all the fine details and textures are washed out from the images. Then the edges around objects are outlined weirdly. Photos may look good only on the tinny mobile screen but once seen on big monitors, all the ugliness shows off prominently. Pictures from this mobile camera are worth to be seen only at 2-3 megapixels size at best.

Take some pictures from LG G3 and see them on computer monitor and see yourself to believe.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 3rd August 2015 at 08:57.
Old 3rd August 2015, 09:41   #21647
Senior - BHPian

Had no choice but to order the Zenfone 2 - 16GB, 2GB RAM online. My current Alcatel One Touch Idol X+ just keeps hanging and sometimes I cannot even see who is calling.

Received the phone yesterday and it is a pretty decent buy for that price. Screen is much better than I expected. Only problems - too many pre-installed software. Comeon Asus, most of us know how to install apps from the PlayStore for most of our needs. Battery life also seems to be on the low side but I will give a definite feedback on that in a few days.

Will surely need to root and remove bloatware from the phone. Read somewhere that the inbuilt browser eats up battery - need to remove that first.
Old 3rd August 2015, 10:32   #21648
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
But if budget is not constraint for you then do go for the X. If size of the upcoming X variants feel big then you can think about the current X which is available at heavy discounts. You will get addicted to the Moto X once you will start using the exclusive Moto features.

When Moto G series is no-nonsense buy, Moto X is an engineering marvel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
I agree with tbppjpr, the Moto X is truly a joyful phone to use.

The amount of thoughtful little features it has, both hardware and software go a great way to enhance the user experience. The new Moto X Style has one hell of a camera too, according to the reviews.
Any feedback on the battery life of the Moto X? Will it last close to 24 hours under reasonably heavy usage (wifi/3g/bluetooth/mail/app sync on most of the time).

My nexus 4 seems to be on its last legs with diminishing battery life and Flipkart was running an exchange offer on the X, 22K-5K for the Nexus 4 and additional 5% discount on CC payment. Effective price would have been ~16K which I felt was excellent. The day I finally decided to go ahead, Flipkart stopped the exchange offer :(

Now kind of confused. Do I buy the Moto X for 21K or wait for the Moto X Play (which I assume will be 25K+). The massive 3600mAH battery on the Moto X Play is what is tempting me. In addition I just used the Moto G 3rd gen which my friend bought. Excellent phone. So I expect the Moto X Play also to be brilliant.
Old 3rd August 2015, 10:37   #21649
KRN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Any feedback on the battery life of the Moto X? Will it last close to 24 hours under reasonably heavy usage (wifi/3g/bluetooth/mail/app sync on most of the time).

My nexus 4 seems to be on its last legs with diminishing battery life and Flipkart was running an exchange offer on the X, 22K-5K for the Nexus 4 and additional 5% discount on CC payment. Effective price would have been ~16K which I felt was excellent. The day I finally decided to go ahead, Flipkart stopped the exchange offer :(

Now kind of confused. Do I buy the Moto X for 21K or wait for the Moto X Play (which I assume will be 25K+). The massive 3600mAH battery on the Moto X Play is what is tempting me. In addition I just used the Moto G 3rd gen which my friend bought. Excellent phone. So I expect the Moto X Play also to be brilliant.
I suggest that you wait for the Moto X Play as it has a better battery and is a newer gen phone. Only catch is that there is no word on whether it will launch in India.
Old 3rd August 2015, 10:45   #21650
Senior - BHPian

One month report of S6 Edge

Display:
* Brilliant !!!!!!!
* Edge notification look really beautiful in dark places like movie theatres and all.
* Even the standard apps like Yahoo Email, Facebook look so nice wrapped from edge to edge. It gives a slight 3D effect to almost all apps.
* Default icons have a nice shadow effect, which is eye pleasing.

Battery life:
* Very good, if not excellent.
* It lasts 24 hours for me, with 3G ON most of the times, and about 1 hour of video playback.

Quick charger:

* Seriously quick ! The battery gets charged in less than 45 minutes. But there is a catch here it seems. The quick charger function also depends on the power source. If its a standard plug, it goes to normal charging speeds like 2-3 hours for 100%.

Camera:
* Outstanding 16 MP rear camera.
* The photo quality speaks for itself.
* 4K video quality is also amazing.
* Selfie camera produces a little softer photos, especially portraits, which i need to fix.

Call / connection quality:
* No calls dropped yet.
* My Note 2 used to take at least 10-15 seconds to switch between connection modes such as WCDMA Only / WCDMA+GSM / GSM Only. On the Edge, its a 1-2 seconds job.
* 3G performance is mostly service provider dependent, but once the signal strength is good, the browsing speeds are great on Edge.

Touch:
* Whoever has checked out my Edge, has gone WOW over the touch feel. They are like, this is probably the smoothest touch experience they've experienced. (Most of them have not used an iPhone ever, but I will accept the compliment )

I don't know what else to comment on. I have not experienced any drawbacks yet, honestly.
Old 3rd August 2015, 11:14   #21651
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRN View Post
I suggest that you wait for the Moto X Play as it has a better battery and is a newer gen phone. Only catch is that there is no word on whether it will launch in India.
Oh. I thought it is supposed to launch this month in India? I assumed only the Moto X Style India launch is unknown
Old 3rd August 2015, 11:30   #21652
BHPian

Quote:
My usual charging cycle since Dec 2014 has been everyday morning with around 2.5-3.5 hrs SOT, with everything on all the time except Bluetooth. Getting one day is not hard with this phone. There are many users on XDA who claim SOT of around 4-5 hrs.

Quote:
Do I buy the Moto X for 21K or wait for the Moto X Play (which I assume will be 25K+). The massive 3600mAH battery on the Moto X Play is what is tempting me. In addition I just used the Moto G 3rd gen which my friend bought. Excellent phone. So I expect the Moto X Play also to be brilliant.
21K is the 16GB version I think, that much of memory will be too less to live with. Get only 32GB variant if want to go for current MotoX. Right now some good leather back 32GB are also available if interested. The leather in Motorola comes is of higher quality which ages well, not some cheap material used on the LG G4.

If budget and large size of the phone is not the issue then I would say wait for the next gen models. I feel some stock of the current one will still be available at that time with bit more discounts so you will have plenty of options to "choose choice".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
* Whoever has checked out my Edge, has gone WOW over the touch feel. They are like, this is probably the smoothest touch experience they've experienced. (Most of them have not used an iPhone ever, but I will accept the compliment
Neither seem to have experienced MotoX 2014

Last edited by tbppjpr : 3rd August 2015 at 11:38.
Old 3rd August 2015, 15:05   #21653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Had no choice but to order the Zenfone 2 - 16GB, 2GB RAM online.
Do give a detailed feedback whenever possible. I hope you got the premier finish 551 model with the full hd screen and premium back finish.

Last edited by dkaile : 3rd August 2015 at 15:08.
Old 3rd August 2015, 19:19   #21654
BHPian

Feedback on S6 Duos (SM-920FD)

Exactly similar to the S6 except for the Dual SIM Capability. Been using this for 3-4 weeks.

Build/Display/Performance/- There are tons of reviews, details out there. I moved from a Mi4 to S6, and though the display is brilliant, i prefer to use the Basic mode. 70k on Antutu is common, but i don't know whats the hype anyway about these tests.

Sound/Music Quality- A notch above (compared to phones i have used like the S4 and Mi4), coupled with good set of headphones it is a treat to listen to music.

Battery- Easily 30-40 hours with 2G, 24-30hrs with 3G. Typical use includes 90-100mts of voice calling, 30-50mts of Skype calls, and 1-2 hrs of wifi. Location services off.

Battery with Dual Sim- Except for rarely checking SIM 2, 99% my usage has been on SIM 1. The other SIM stays off.

Dropped the phone face first on the floor, luckily no damage. Build quality and tolerances are good. Promptly bought a case. The Gold finish looks nice without looking too jazzy.

Software- Still on 5.0.2 whereas the Single Sim S6 is on 5.1 if i am not wrong.

Got this for 35500/- during my recent visit to HKG. With a local SIM, 4G worked wonderfully there (both SIM's). But with the Airtel 4G SIM here at BLR, there is no trace of 4G, the max i see is H+ !! Are the bands different..?

Last edited by xotiq : 3rd August 2015 at 19:36. Reason: formatting
Old 3rd August 2015, 23:00   #21655
BHPian

Does anyone even believe the ridiculous prices flipkart's offering on used phones in exchange for their new phones. It's atrocious. Probably useful to those who have a bunch of old phones and wouldn't care much about how much they'd get for it. 3000 for the Xperia T2 ultra is absolutely silly.
Old 4th August 2015, 06:52   #21656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
LG G3 has got terrible camera. Over post processing by the camera software makes pictures look like cartoons, water paintings. Only thicker details can be made out otherwise all the fine details and textures are washed out from the images. Then the edges around objects are outlined weirdly. Photos may look good only on the tinny mobile screen but once seen on big monitors, all the ugliness shows off prominently. Pictures from this mobile camera are worth to be seen only at 2-3 megapixels size at best.

Take some pictures from LG G3 and see them on computer monitor and see yourself to believe.
Uh - your report is fairly out of step with most reviews or sample links. That's a fairly strong allegation from your side. Please post samples of photos that you took on G3 for everyone's reference.

/yes, I can post shots of the lousy OPO evening shots, but here's Reddit and OPO forums talking about it.
Old 4th August 2015, 09:42   #21657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Before the upgrade to Android L, my first gen phone lasted a full day on heavy usage- 1 hr music playback, 2-3 hrs web browsing, gaming, messaging and sync always on.

Now on L it lasts just as much, but if you disable the sync, it will give you another 30-40% more juice. And go for the 32gb version, 16 GB will feel cramped if you use big apps and have lots of data.
Old 4th August 2015, 11:33   #21658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Uh - your report is fairly out of step with most reviews or sample links. That's a fairly strong allegation from your side. Please post samples of photos that you took on G3 for everyone's reference.
Right now don't have any photo taken from G3 because what I tested was a year ago on my relatives G3. But if anyone here have G3 and can put full resolution 13 MP pictures, I can point out what I want to say.

The link you posted doesn't show actual high resolution picture. Those are 1024X574 pixel, means 0.5 megapixels photo, I wonder how the reviewer declared it a great camera by seeing such tinny pictures. Negatives can't be noticed in such small size images, thats why I said such pictures taken from such cameras look nice on tinny mobile screens. Then there is no exif to prove the picture is from the LG G3.

Even if want to talk on internet samples, here are some legit high resolution shots, download them on computer and see the exif and then see at actual pixel level if you know how to see that:

http://pocketnow.com/wp-content/uplo...607_145000.jpg

http://pocketnow.com/wp-content/uplo...607_170945.jpg

http://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/r...17-samples.jpg

Detail loss and strange outline at edges of objects can easily be noticed.

Here are few magnified crops form the above pictures to point out water painting like effect:

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20140607_170945300.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20140607_170945300a.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20140607_170945300b.jpg

My opinion is same about phones like Samsung S5, S6, Nexus 6, Motorola Droid Turbo and iPhone 6 as well. Upcoming Moto X Style camera (20MP) has also received lot of praises already in the reviews but unfortunately that is also doing the similar job and making the fine texture in images look flat.

All such camera phones over process the images to get rid of the 'natural' grain which is obvious due to tinny sensor size. Then the inbuilt software add artificial sharpening and contrast to make the pictures look pleasant on the mobile screen. When the thicker objects are highlighted strongly in such images, closuup shots of faces also look nice but lot of fine details are eaten up in the whole process. All the ugliness can be seen only when those pictures are seen on big monitors or printed on decent size photo paper. If anyone wants to counter then please do see the full resolution images taken from your camera phones on computer screens first.

Many people here talk about noise and I would only say that they don't know about cameras. Noise is co-related with sensor quality, size and ISO. Noise will be there in the pictures taken from high end cameras as well in some scenarios. Those who shoot in RAW will agree with me, because JPGs in those cameras are also processed and mostly the grain is gone. Then these mobiles have very tinny size sensors which capture pictures at higher ISO in the medium to low light conditions so noise will be there. The cameras which don't show noise are just lying. Inbuilt noise processing algorithm eats up lot of details also while cleaning out the noise.

So called 13MP, 16MP are just too much. Tinny mobile camera sensors and mediocre optics haven't reached to such level where they can do justice with such high resolution. Most people see the images only at 1-3 MP max, and difference can't be made out at such low resolution viewing. Same story with the optimistic screen resolutions like QHD, 4K etc but don't want to talk about that right now.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 4th August 2015 at 11:49.
Old 4th August 2015, 22:51   #21659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hardware of the X will also be significantly different. For eg MotoX comes with more number of mics for better noise cancellation so that you voice is heard more clearly. Audio hardware is also of higher grade so that you hear better audio though loudspeaker. Outer metal framing works as antenna for better reception and there many other subtle and sound differences. Then the full HD AMLOED screen is also a significant upgrade over the HD of MotoG.

When Moto G series is no-nonsense buy, Moto X is an engineering marvel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
I agree with tbppjpr, the Moto X is truly a joyful phone to use.

The amount of thoughtful little features it has, both hardware and software go a great way to enhance the user experience. The new Moto X Style has one hell of a camera too, according to the reviews.
Quote:
Got a first hand feel of Moto G 3rd gen after buying one. The phone is pretty snappy (quick) and the User Interface is butter smooth. I like the way Motorola has provided a pure Android experience without all that bloatware. My Samsung Galaxy Note feels light years slower in comparison.

Now I'm more inclined to upgrade from Note to Moto X when it gets launched in September. Hope Samsung gets rid of all that bloatware (aka Touchwiz) that makes its phones gasp for memory.
Also I don't like the idea of the upcoming Note 5 rumored to be coming with a glass back
Old 5th August 2015, 02:10   #21660
Senior - BHPian

Hey Gansan, could you upload a couple of snaps of the new G3. The ones on the site look well doctored. TIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I have received my Moto G3 16 GB version and using it for the past two days,

Most Viewed