Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2015, 08:17   #22096
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
You just about jumped the gun, Sir. Moto X Style is a great phone but it will be upstaged in almost all departments by the Nexus 6P. If you can still get it cancelled, do so and go for the Graphite 6P.
Thanks, but I think I will stick with Moto for now. My wife and son also have Moto's and are reasonably happy with them. I also thought hard but decided to stick with it.

My experience is that mobiles seldom last more than two and a half years, so even though the Nexus may be good, but this should do. Also, I have another problem, getting phones into UP is touch (most on-line chaps do not send to 208xxx) and I am currently in Gurgaon for a few weeks.

After going through the stuff I am sticking with my order. Differences are more on individual taste. My d-i-l had a Nexus 4 but like her husband's Sammy / htc more. At the moment I am using a Sprint htc One m7 which is CDMA+GSM. There is no real issue with GSM except every time you cross into another area you have to reconfigure the network (no auto stuff on GSM). So from Kanpur-Gurgaon means activating UP(W) and then NCR!!

Last edited by ampere : 22nd October 2015 at 09:05. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 22nd October 2015, 08:49   #22097
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
My experience is that mobiles seldom last more than two and a half years
Not in 2015. Phone life to me is 12 months and the technology keeps moving forward. Even apple is releasing a phone much shorter than they used to and we know samsung does once a year almost now. S7 is already rumoured

I have a free upgrade and am still contemplating if i should simply wait for the next iteration
Old 22nd October 2015, 09:09   #22098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
which phone and which ROM? I quite like the lock screen where it says fast charging.

I am still waiting for my aukey cables from aliexpress. *sigh*
This is the stock ROM - Asus Zenfone 2 ZE551ML - 2 GB version. Guess the 4 GB ones come with the fast charger in the box.

Guess you got the same seller - damn slow shipping though it is AliExpress shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I was thinking of getting an Aukey mains charger so that I can use it when I realise that the phone is run down and it's bedtime. But then I'm going to sleep for far longer than it will take to charge the phone. Is it actually better/safer to use a lower-power charger? It gets to 100% before/by the time I get up, which is all that really matters.

~
IIRC, these chargers cut off the current to the phone once it has been fully charged but I might be wrong
Old 22nd October 2015, 09:46   #22099
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
You just about jumped the gun, Sir. Moto X Style is a great phone but it will be upstaged in almost all departments by the Nexus 6P. If you can still get it cancelled, do so and go for the Graphite 6P.
Nice reviews of the Nexus 5X, 6P and Moto X.

After seeing all the reviews, the Moto X is actually pretty good right. The reviews are recommending it.

The Nexus 5X looks to be the one that is not perfect. The Nexus 5X compares with the Moto X only because the Moto X Style and Nexus are priced closer. Infact the Nexus 5X with a lower res screen, plastic body, lesser RAM, no SD card slot is actually 2,000 more than the Moto X style. That really removes it from contention even if it's a Nexus product.

If you compare the 6P with the Moto X, the features come closer with the 6P having a better hardware. But you also have to pay a lot more. The Nexus 6P is 40K.

At 32K for the 32GB one, the Moto X style is priced perfectly offering the best price to performance. Both the Nexus seem to be priced higher.

My choice would be the Moto X. The Motorola add ons to the OS make the experience actually better than what the bone stock Android has. I may have to wait a couple of months for the OS update like 6.0 but the added features are very very useful.
Old 22nd October 2015, 10:23   #22100
Distinguished - BHPian

Aukey micro USB cable

After being fed up of slow charging because of low quality cables,i ordered Aukey micro USB cable pack from Aliexpress and got them yesterday.

These cables are 20AWG and the charging time has improved by 30 to 35% with the same charger. These cables are much thicker. Connectors fit into the slot with an assuring click.

Very happy with the cables since the devices can actually utilize the 2A output of the charger to the max extent instead of being bottle necked due to a crappy cable. Since i ordered a set of 3 X 1ft and 2 X 3ft pack, i replaced the old cables from all the chargers in my home including the ones on the power bank
Old 22nd October 2015, 12:35   #22101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
This is the stock ROM - Asus Zenfone 2 ZE551ML - 2 GB version. Guess the 4 GB ones come with the fast charger in the box.
Guess you got the same seller - damn slow shipping though it is AliExpress shipping.
If you really need it fast, and you are OK to pay, you can get the same in Amazon.

http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B013...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

It comes within 2-3 days.
Old 22nd October 2015, 12:55   #22102
BHPian

Guys my Moto G (2nd Gen) has started acting funny. I have never been impressed with the phone anyway. But off late, it hangs, it lags, it gets stuck in Bluetooth Audio, Google Maps crashes! Uber almost never opens fast. The battery always dies mid of the day. The list is endless.

I keep cleaning the cache memory to no use. Suggestions? And not limited to Android.

All I want in a phone is the Apps should be snappy - whatever you put on it. I do not play games on phones. Bluetooth audio, Maps, Skype are used alot.
Old 22nd October 2015, 14:00   #22103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Guys my Moto G (2nd Gen) has started acting funny.

I keep cleaning the cache memory to no use. Suggestions? And not limited to Android.

All I want in a phone is the Apps should be snappy - whatever you put on it. I do not play games on phones. Bluetooth audio, Maps, Skype are used alot.
If you have the "Developer options" available under Settings, you can Limit the background process to atmost 1. This resolved the Lag problem in my phone.

One thing I've learn't the hard way is to Never ever upgrade the sofware on your phone. Its best to retain the OS the phone came with. Never upgrade the apps on your phone either, every upgrade will have increased memory needs (most of the time) that will add to the lag.

With every software upgrade, the memory footprint used by the phone increases leaving the phone gasping and the result is laggy applications. This is exactly the trap that phone manufacturers want you to fall into (with the promise of increased functionality and features with every upgrade as a bait). The same phone which worked flawlessly starts to lag and frustration causes users to buy newer models. Just stick to the stock OS which the phone is designed for.

Another trick increasingly found now is non-removable battery, no-SDcard slot (ie., no expandable memory). These are clearly designed to limit the useful life of phones to 1 or max 2 years these days and force users to upgrade so that they can keep making money.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 22nd October 2015 at 14:04.
Old 22nd October 2015, 14:44   #22104
BANNED

The list has just come out for the Marshmallow upgrades.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/49491638.cms
Old 22nd October 2015, 21:41   #22105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
One thing I've learn't the hard way is to Never ever upgrade the sofware on your phone. Its best to retain the OS the phone came with. Never upgrade the apps on your phone either, every upgrade will have increased memory needs (most of the time) that will add to the lag.

With every software upgrade, the memory footprint used by the phone increases leaving the phone gasping and the result is laggy applications. This is exactly the trap that phone manufacturers want you to fall into (with the promise of increased functionality and features with every upgrade as a bait). The same phone which worked flawlessly starts to lag and frustration causes users to buy newer models. Just stick to the stock OS which the phone is designed for.
Quite agree - except sometimes app developers will force you to upgrade. Ola did that to me once.

Quote:
Guys my Moto G (2nd Gen) has started acting funny. I have never been impressed with the phone anyway. But off late, it hangs, it lags, it gets stuck in Bluetooth Audio, Google Maps crashes! Uber almost never opens fast. The battery always dies mid of the day. The list is endless.

Why don't you flash the Kitkat version if possible? Kitkat worked perfectly on G2
Old 22nd October 2015, 21:46   #22106
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
The uncontrollable need to keep buying chargers has not stopped. I just added one more 15000 amp Aukey portable battery pack.
I learnt my lesson on powerpacks. I bought on to take on holiday with me in July, just an ordinary one, but I don't think I ever used it. On my travels, trains and planes had sockets, and I did not do much music listening anyway. The places I stayed, of course, had the main power.

If I had needed to spend many hours a day using GPS, or listening to music, actually away from mains power, it would have been good, but I didn't --- and it was just another weight in the luggage.

These Aukey people, though, have a pretty fancy range. Nice stuff
Old 22nd October 2015, 21:59   #22107
BHPian

Quote:

I am facing the exact same problem on my five months old Moto G 2nd Gen. When I got this phone as my birthday gift, I had a lot of expectations but frankly, the phone didn't live up to my expectations. I have to use the phone for quite some time now. Wonder what should I do!?!

Will rooting help? Experts please help. And, if the 6.0 update rolls in, should I update my phone?

Thanks in advance.
Old 22nd October 2015, 22:03   #22108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
If you have the "Developer options" available under Settings, you can Limit the background process to atmost 1. This resolved the Lag problem in my phone.

Another trick increasingly found now is non-removable battery, no-SDcard slot (ie., no expandable memory). These are clearly designed to limit the useful life of phones to 1 or max 2 years these days and force users to upgrade so that they can keep making money.
I must think that's not quite right. The OS updates are meant to increase performance and stability and add some nifty features. Usually they improve upon the security as well. Similarly, app updates really add to the functionality, design and convenience of using the app. It is usually the user or his usage pattern that leads to such headaches.
I'm afraid you must have had the wrong device, or had too much data and apps onto it. Or, in a (not so) rare case, must've got a buggy firmware in the update.
Either way, issues only come with serious changes and improvements to the software. A lot of people had problems after lollipop updates, bit equally, one should acknowledge the vast level of improvements it brought in. The bugs are usually fixed with smaller stability updates too.

I would like to stress that even though it is not really required, one should always factory reset the phone after an update. Too much cached data from the apps and other stuff from the previous OS is carried forward, and sometimes an app on old software may not work as well on the new one. Hence it is better to empty the phone and redownload everything after the update. That usually addresses memory problems, battery, lag, and a lot of other stuff.

Also, one should be careful what apps one installs on a device. Third party task killers, RAM managers, speed boosters, battery boosters, etc are the worst enemies of a phone. Secondly, the Facebook and messenger apps eat a huge amount of RAM, storage and battery, and should be looked at. Also third party launchers, lock screens, live wallpapers, keyboards, etc which may not be as well optimized as stock ones may result in stutters and lag.

The odd case of a software update may have resulted in trouble, but that doesn't mean the concept is flawed. There's one close friend of mine, whose Galaxy S2 got wiped out and refused to boot during the Jellybean update, and he had to get it to the service station. So he avoided the update for a long while and stayed on ICS, thinking on the same lines as you do here.
However, I really pressed him to update again, and when he did, the phone did start perfectly, and in fact got a whole lot better than ICS. He shortly rooted it and flashed CM11 on it, and is now happily running CM12.1.

Even in my own case, I got myself an Xperia E1 running 4.3 out of the box, over the forever out of stock Moto E (1st gen), only due to the reason that Sony had promised a KitKat update for the device. However, in typical budget phone fashion, my phone regularly lagged and just randomly rebooted far too often.
Eventually, when I did get the update in a couple of months' time, the performance was drastically improved, the lagging and reboots had vanished, the battery life significantly improved, and the interface design was changed to a fresher and cleaner one. It almost didn't feel like a budget phone at all.

It is usually Samsung due to touchwiz, and small time Chinese OEM devices that face troubles after updating. Even then, factory resets do a lot of good.
Old 22nd October 2015, 22:22   #22109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
I am facing the exact same problem on my five months old Moto G 2nd Gen. When I got this phone as my birthday gift, I had a lot of expectations but frankly, the phone didn't live up to my expectations. I have to use the phone for quite some time now. Wonder what should I do!?!

Will rooting help? Experts please help. And, if the 6.0 update rolls in, should I update my phone?

Thanks in advance.
Root---> flash official Cyanogen 12.1 or Resurrection Remix----> Greenify apps---> Enjoy your phone for years to come
Old 23rd October 2015, 00:11   #22110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Moto G had this issues for ever after it moved away from KitKat. The phone i personally feel is optimized for Kit kat and runs exceptionally well.

Upgrading to Marshmellow may not fix the problem per me. In fact downgrading to KitKat is better.

My S5 is running on Kitkat simply because their lollipop and potential MM update may only slow down the phone.

Can say this, the moto G Pure running 5.1.X is pretty darn faster than the bloated samsung.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks