Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2015, 01:19   #22306
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I think it does affect your IMEI, it wipes your NVRAM. I've flashed a few MediaTek devices myself, and it did really wipe the IMEI out. And the cell network won't work till you have your IMEI in place. Regarding the IMEI, there is a nifty little app called Chamelephon, that can restore your IMEI as easy as peanuts. Requires root though, and may not be available directly from the Play Store, but you can fetch an APK as easily from the web. Just in case you find the whole NVRAM backup and restore too fidgety, this is a great straightforward option.

Last edited by mukul32 : 19th November 2015 at 01:26.
Old 19th November 2015, 03:14   #22307
Distinguished - BHPian

So many things we can back up, just in case we need them, and restore.

Assuming, of course, that we have a powerful recovery ...and root.

I like the sound of that app, though.
Old 19th November 2015, 09:21   #22308
Distinguished - BHPian

Sony has completely tweaked the camera app in a new update for the Z5, the settings are not the same anymore and it has become much easier to operate with swipe based switching between auto & manual modes. The ISO & focussing settings are also far easier with individual tweaks available at one touch.

No complaints on the Z5 so far with battery life of about 2-3 days on average depending on use. I hate Android to no end but as far as phones go it cant get better. With waterproof ability to add, one has no worries.
Old 19th November 2015, 13:46   #22309
BHPian

A small review on the MI4i. It is a beautiful phone, with a gorgeous screen. I like the UI. Performance is adequate. I'll say that again - Performance is just adequate. A few months down the line when Google has pushed their updated Chrome, Gmail, Maps and all other bloated apps, it will lag like hell.

Culprit, I guess is the midrange SD 615. I hold MI4i on my left hand, hold the OPO in my right hand and launch Facebook at the same time, in the OPO it opens instantly - not even almost instantly, instantly. In the MI4i, it takes a while - 2-3 secs. Not that am impatient, but the OPO is a joy to work with.

It pays to get the SD 8xx series. Everything else is just mediocre.
Old 19th November 2015, 15:57   #22310
BHPian

The messaging app icon on the default screen was displaying 1 unread message few days ago even though there were no unread messages reflecting in the messages list. It now displays 2 unread messages which are untraceable.

To be doubly sure, deleted all messages in the messages list, but the app still displays 2 unread messages on the default screen.

Any suggestions on how to trace these messages or clear them from the screen ?
Old 19th November 2015, 16:25   #22311
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx14 View Post

Any suggestions on how to trace these messages or clear them from the screen ?
In Application Manager (or whatever it's called on your phone's OS/Skin), check for a running service called BadgeNotificationProvider (that's the name on TouchWiz, name may vary based on ROM in use). Clear cache/data for this and the unread counter will be reset.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 19th November 2015 at 16:29.
Old 19th November 2015, 18:43   #22312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
In case you are referring to this one http://www.flipkart.com/lenovo-vibe-...mechk5wmgkxkyq then it is already there in the market. And one of my friend is using it since last one month or so. He is very happy with it's performance, especially that monster battery!
Ya, that's the one! What specs! Especially when compared to the competition. i'm not familiar with the UI department of Lenovo though, but anyways I'm going to get this baby. Availability is quite far and between in Mumbai as of now. Waiting.....

P.S. -Thanx for the tip
Old 19th November 2015, 19:13   #22313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
i'm not familiar with the UI department of Lenovo though, but anyways I'm going to get this baby.
LENOVO UI may not be liked by all. And in low/mid range devices, their UI does lag a bit due to low end processor. But, this 'Monster' should not have any issue when it comes to performance.
Old 19th November 2015, 22:05   #22314
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I'll wait for Amazon to launch an exchange offer and then go in for it by selling off my S3!
The buyback thing is there on Amazon since ages. What are you waiting for?

http://www.amazon.in/b/ref=amb_link_...d_i=1389401031
Old 19th November 2015, 23:20   #22315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post

Settings> Mobile Networks> Cellular networks and toggle it to choose automatically. Hope this helps.
landcruiser123: Thanks, Yes it worked.

Mi4i positives are amazing Display, great Camera and decent battery life, shortcoming is a plastic feel due to less weight. Update shows MiUI V7 available of 890M. Am sticking with 6.

Used to updates from prior work experience at a small IT. Any smallest bug discovered and development is ready for an Update/upgrade. Has their been a serious thought of how much bandwidth is consumed in them. Some apps are ready with an update every week.
Old 20th November 2015, 00:26   #22316
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
The buyback thing is there on Amazon since ages. What are you waiting for?

http://www.amazon.in/b/ref=amb_link_...d_i=1389401031
Silly me. Flipkart used to show this info on the deal page itself. Funnily same phone cashback value could change. For MI4i vs MI4, my sister got different cash-back offers on diff phones.

Here this is just listing reglobe as a 3P provider of buyback services which one needs effort to manage vs the streamlined approach by FK I was hoping to see.
Old 20th November 2015, 04:43   #22317
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz3645 View Post
Mi4i positives are amazing Display, great Camera and decent battery life, shortcoming is a plastic feel due to less weight. ...
Whilst there is no way that I can claim the hunkiness of steel (or even aluminium!) for this phone, it has never felt cheap to me. I suggest that you buy the Mi smart flip case, and you'll never really feel the body again anyway.

I really like the tactile sensation of this case. Only downside is that, despite all the lovely colours illustrated on the webpage, it seems to actually only come in black.
Old 20th November 2015, 14:03   #22318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Sony has completely tweaked the camera app in a new update for the Z5, the settings are not the same anymore and it has become much easier to operate with swipe based switching between auto & manual modes. The ISO & focussing settings are also far easier with individual tweaks available at one touch.

No complaints on the Z5 so far with battery life of about 2-3 days on average depending on use. I hate Android to no end but as far as phones go it cant get better. With waterproof ability to add, one has no worries.
You mean you bought the Z5? How is that phone? Mainly, battery life and heating issues? If I'm not wrong you upgraded from a Z3C right? The camera should be great enough to shut up any Apple or LG fan for a long while. I think the Z5 is really the best no-compromise phone out there right now. The only thing missing in the brilliant Z3 was a fingerprint scanner, the Z5 got in that too. But the price should be exorbitant as of now.
Old 20th November 2015, 22:16   #22319
Senior - BHPian

Need a Phone within 10K with Good Camera, 5.5" FHD Display and 16GB Int. Memory.

Sorry for late replies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone
Except for a 5" screen, the Mi4i ticks all the boxes.
Xolo launched a new phone, which also might work.
Asus also has some decent phones, per your requirement.
She wants the phone with larger display as likes to read a lot and current MMX strains her eye (one of reason of MMX straining the eyes is that the screen brightness cannot be minimized beyond a level which is must at night).
Hence her requirement of minimum 5.5" Display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr
Asus Zenfone Laser 5.5 should meet her requirement to the T.
Its well out of her budget. She does not want to spend on a phone that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet
Redmi Note. Look no further. Ticks all boxes. To reduce screen brightness further, I use an app called Screen Filter. Works great for night use and reading
How is the Camera Quality? My better half has Xiaomi Redmi 1S. I know its a lower end phone but the Camera Quality is pathetic when photos are clicked after zooming into the object.
Is it same with Redmi Note? User Memory shown on Snapdeal is 1.9GB only. Would this figure trouble 2 years down the line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32
The Lenovo K3 Note -Great screen, decent camera, two gigs of RAM, and it's under 10k.
How is the Camera Quality? Does the picture appear blurred (read shows pixels) if zoomed into and clicked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac
Using Coolpad for a couple of weeks now. I would say am satisfied.
Can you please post some pictures clicked with Coolpad Note 3 so that Camera Quality can be known?

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123
I think Redmi note 4G is an excellent phone. I've been using one for 6 months now!
Sorry for reposting above reply again.
How is the Camera Quality? My better half has Xiaomi Redmi 1S. I know its a lower end phone but the Camera Quality is pathetic when photos are clicked after zooming into the object.
Is it same with Redmi Note? Can you please post some pictures clicked on Redmi Note 4G?
Quote:
Only grouse is:
Internal memory is 8 gigs. Around 4.1x GB was free when I took it out of the box.
Even after using a lot of apps, I have around 2.2 GB memory is free. This is user dependent.
But User Memory shown on Snapdeal is 1.9GB only. Would this figure trouble 2 years down the line?
Quote:
Also, Mi4i might be worth. Haven't heard the best feedback about Yureka/Yuphoria.
I don't know whether she will be comfortable without SD Card in Mi4i.
Also she asked me initially itself about Yuphoria. I did not tell her anything as I was unaware of it.
Quote:
THe other options are lenovo k3 note/A7000 plus. Haven't heard any reviews about the same.
More information on Camera Quality of Lenovo K3 Note will be appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz
I have zeroed in on Lenovo Vibe P1. It would cost around 15k though.
She does not want to spend that much on a phone. BTW how is the camera Quality of Vibe P1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz
This Indigo grand guy has some bug in his post. You can't successfully quote it and the message turns out incomplete, so posting my reply separately.
Please visit the link below where I have already posted regarding this problem-
Facing problem of Posts Not Appearing Correctly on Team-Bhp App
Old 20th November 2015, 22:46   #22320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by createrkid View Post
But, looking at the emphasis you're putting on the camera, the LG g4 wins hands down. Battery life for me has been around a little more than 4 hours screen on time. For everything else, I suggest you pick up the Nexus 6P
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
If this is your first entry into the Android experience, I would strongly suggest the phone to be a stock Android one.

If you are okay with the size however (it's 5.7"), the Moto X Style is actually the better overall device. The best part is stock Android, and the Motorola additions. The camera is also very good, you may like to check out camera samples in the full GSMArena review here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
Since this is your 1st Android phone, your options should be narrowed down to stock Android phone i.e. Moto X Style and Nexus 6P.
Nexus 6P over Moto X
  • Better Camera
  • Fingerprint Sensor
  • Guaranteed Android Updates
  • Premium Materials
  • Slightly better battery life
Moto X Style over Nexus
  • More affordable
  • Expandable Storage
  • Better in-hand feel, more comfortable to hold
  • Useful Motorola additions like Moto Voice
Thank you @createrki, @mukul32 & @Marauder for your inputs and suggestions. Apologies for not responding earlier. Not sure if it was the right decision or not but I finalized the Nexus 6P 64 GB Graphite my new phone because of best possible android experience (M out of the box). However as luck would have it this was not available in stock.

Upon further deliberation and after reading about the camera glass breaking here and here and keeping the INR 43K price tag in mind and the long wait have now decided to drop the idea of a Nexus 6P (would I regret it, dunno).

I am curious to understand the focus on stock android experience which you all have mentioned and so have other folks in other replies as well. I have read about Samsung bloatware etc. but then if they are so bad, why are Samsung and HTC and LG products also enjoying a good sale. What am I missing here?

At this point of time I am more inclined towards the Moto X Style because it gets dual front facing speakers (should make for this as good media device too), bigger screen and Moto X features which everyone has praised as being very useful in day to day life. Camera could be a concern especially since it does not have OIS but would it really matter that much that I consider G4?
EDIT: Some reviews have mentioned that the camera app is not very good and the battery has got mixed reviews with some stating that it can last a day and others stating that the battery provided is not enough for this big a phone. Any thoughts about these two points specifically. Camera apps I was told could be downloaded and installed as well, is that a good idea and could we get better apps?

Any thoughts / opinions / inputs please?

Cheers,
S

Last edited by sukhoi : 20th November 2015 at 22:53. Reason: added details about Moto X Style

Most Viewed