Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2016, 11:52   #22651
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Need some help with SD card access on Android M.

I recently updated my wife's Android One phone to Android M. Wifey had been complaining of apps not able to update because of low internal memory available, hence bit the bullet and formatted the SD card as internal memory (after taking backup of the SD card contents).

Now I am not able to access the SD card. Please help. How to transfer my user files into the SD card (which has been formatted as internal memory) ?

I have ES file explorer on the device. I have a Windows 7 laptop from which I am trying to transfer files to the Android One device.

Rohan
Old 9th January 2016, 13:06   #22652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Woke up this morning to a Android M update notification on my Moto G3.

I was already skeptical about a few changes, and reading the release notes just make me more so. They've removed or restricted quite a few Moto features (Ambient display is now missing, so is Moto Migrate among other things). Moto Assist has been tweaked to be far more complicated, not to mention the shenanigans with the sound adjust menu.

I'm sticking with 5.1.1 for now.
I did hear that Motorola had decided to make the software even close to AOSP by dropping a few of their apps and integrating the functionality into stock menus and settings. Moto Assist I remember was one of them. So that might be the reason for it. Maybe a quick check on XDA might help I bet this query must've been discussed thoroughly there already.
Old 9th January 2016, 13:24   #22653
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Need some help with SD card access on Android M.

I recently updated my wife's Android One phone to Android M. Wifey had been complaining of apps not able to update because of low internal memory available, hence bit the bullet and formatted the SD card as internal memory (after taking backup of the SD card contents).

Now I am not able to access the SD card. Please help. How to transfer my user files into the SD card (which has been formatted as internal memory) ?

I have ES file explorer on the device. I have a Windows 7 laptop from which I am trying to transfer files to the Android One device.

Rohan
Well, you can't! Or not in the way that we are used to seeing SD cards as SD cards.

My upshot from reading two or three internet articles on this is: don't format your SD card as internal memory unless you have a phone that already has very little.

When you transfer file to the phone, it is probably storing them on that card. But the fact that it is an independent card is now invisible to. Remember: you cannot take the card and use it any other device, be it phone, card reader or anything.

My moto X play has 32Gb in internal. That is just as much as I had on any phone, with SD card, before --- but I decided to move my 64Gb card from the tablet to the phone, thus getting my 30 or 40 Gb audio collection to carry around. Of course, it was necessary to choose the external-storage option.

I suggest you start over, selecting external storage.

Moto X Play, Marshmallow And Nova Launcher

Very nice. I'm using the Marshmallow icons, so at first sight, it doesn't look so different. At second sight, one sees that the Google search bar is not there . And that icon sizes, positions, folder colours, and some other stuff has been customised in a much deeper way than out-of-the-box allows.
Old 9th January 2016, 14:07   #22654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Well, you can't! Or not in the way that we are used to seeing SD cards as SD cards.

I suggest you start over, selecting external storage.
Thanks for the confirmation.

I did the same - went back to formatting SD card as external storage. Things are back to normal now.

The only frustration I have with this Android One device is that it has only 2 GB of internal memory which can be used for installing apps. Google should have made the device a little more future-proof.

I guess its time for an upgrade.

Rohan
Old 9th January 2016, 17:01   #22655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Thanks for the confirmation.

I did the same - went back to formatting SD card as external storage. Things are back to normal now.

The only frustration I have with this Android One device is that it has only 2 GB of internal memory which can be used for installing apps. Google should have made the device a little more future-proof.

I guess its time for an upgrade.

Rohan
The storage is divided into two partitions, the system memory, in which you can install apps, have app data, the system stores cache, etc. and internal storage, that is free for the user to keep media, downloads, camera images, etc.
In the low end phones, though the total storage available is low, they still have about 50-50 to each partition. Which is not exactly great. But you can repartition the storage and allocate more storage to the system storage, and extend the decreased internal storage by an SD card. Android One devices are quite popular, and I'm sure you'll find a method on XDA to repartition the storage easily.
Old 10th January 2016, 10:08   #22656
BHPian

Anyone has any experience with any other ways of cracked screen replacement, other than at authorized servicd centers?

My Nexus 5 screen is cracked, and there is ~3k difference in online repairs(like justlikenew.in) and LG service center.Since its a 2 year old phone, wondering what to do.
Old 11th January 2016, 15:49   #22657
Team-BHP Support

I have Play Store app update settings set to 'Do not auto-update', but apps nevertheless start updating themselves every time I connect to WiFi. I've verified everywhere I could find, nothing seems amiss as far as I can tell.

What am I missing?
Old 11th January 2016, 16:15   #22658
Senior - BHPian

@chetan

Had the same issues and went into recovery and cleared cache as well as all possible cache.

Now it seems to wait for my approval.
Old 11th January 2016, 17:04   #22659
BHPian

Suggestions required for a second phone in 10k range. Primary phone is a Note4 and i am happy with its performance.

1. Battery backup time should be good without any heating issues
2. Good camera performance needed both photos and videos
3. would like to keep the cost below 10k if possible
4. Need a clear display but dont need ultra high specs
5. Touchscreen should be responsive

Samsung On5 specs look good on paper. Do they translate into real world performance?
Old 11th January 2016, 17:08   #22660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallavi View Post
Suggestions required for a second phone in 10k range. Primary phone is a Note4 and i am happy with its performance.

Samsung On5 specs look good on paper. Do they translate into real world performance?
Why not consider the Lenovo K4 Note.

Looks very good on paper and has a Theatre Max/Dolby in the phone.
My wifey has a K3 Note and the phone is decent.
Old 11th January 2016, 18:09   #22661
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

See if you can still source the inFocus M530. Outstanding camera just outside that range (11k). The screen was average though!
Old 11th January 2016, 19:41   #22662
BHPian

Quote:

The K3 Note fits the bill perfectly keeping in mind your budget. Others won't give you a combo of 1080p screen+ about 3000mAh battery+ good looks+ good camera+ good sound altogether in one package at this price point and that too a good brand like Lenovo. If you can stretch your budget to about 12.5k, then you can go for the better K4 and have a better more updated iteration of the K3.
Old 11th January 2016, 20:19   #22663
Team-BHP Support

Updated my Moto G3 to 6.0, mostly because the annoying notification just won't go away for any length of time.

As reviewed widely, the changes are mostly under the hood. I do miss some nifty Moto features from the 5.1.1 build, but hopefully nothing I can't live without.

Potential battery life gains were my biggest reason to bite the bullet. Remains to be seen if I made a boo-boo.

P.S. Just noticed the camera shutter mute button is gone. What a bummer. Why does Android love removing useful bits & bobs?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 11th January 2016 at 20:23.
Old 11th January 2016, 20:20   #22664
BHPian

Quote:

Check out the Asus Zenfone Max. 5000 mAh battery. 13 MP cam. 2GB ram.all for 9999/-
Old 13th January 2016, 08:26   #22665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
Attachment 1446246

Thad,
Based on your recommendation, I just spent 5,000 rupees on the Aukey quick charger for my desk and car. If it doesn't work, I'm sending it to you
Aukey charger worth 3599/- is available for 999/- today at Amazon.in. The specs say that it is a 36W/7.2A 5 Ports USB Wall Charger.

Good Deal??

Most Viewed