Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2016, 18:33   #22681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Folks,

what are the latest preferred power banks? I'm happy with my year old MI power bank (999 bucks) which does have some sort of quick charging.
I see Aukey has a certified quick charge 12000 mah power bank in 2799. Which one is the most recommended right now? Thanks in advance.
I have been using a Mi 16000mah power bank for some time now and will definitely recommend. Charges my nexus 4 for 6 times when it's fully charged. Also it has 2 USB ports so 2 devices can be charged simultaneously. I think it costs 1400/-
Old 13th January 2016, 19:25   #22682
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Switching to 6.0 doesn't seem to have any battery benefits on my Moto G3 at least. I'm still losing about 10-12% overnight standby with data turned off.

I've played around with available settings, and the big bummer is Google Play Services being exempt from battery optimization. It was the biggest battery hogger under 5.x, so nothing's changed for me really. If anything, I've lost a couple of good Moto features in the bargain.
Old 13th January 2016, 21:42   #22683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
I've got fed up with running around looking for chargers and power banks at conferences and day long events, where I need to do a lot of calling and emailing. My company has decided to scrap it's old blackberries and adopt a byod policy.

I was hoping to get a cheap phone that can just do email and calls (that's all), but should last ALL day with heavy usage.

Because I need to write long emails sometimes and multi-task while on call, it should be reasonably fast.

Oh, and yes. It should be cheap. I'm considering the Gionee Marathon M4, Asus Zenfone Max, Lenovo Vibe P1 and Vibe p1m. Any recommendations amongst these?

Close your eyes and go for the Lenovo Vibe P1. You'll be sorted. All I can say. 15,999/- online. Go for Amazon.
Old 13th January 2016, 22:41   #22684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I'm still losing about 10-12% overnight standby with data turned off.
That's shocking.
Are you trying to use some software to kill running apps? Or is your Wifi on? Find out the apps consuming battery in the battery use section.
Try restarting your phone before sleeping and don't use data/wifi after the restart.

If you're the geeky type, use greenify (works best with root) and hibernate apps.
Old 13th January 2016, 23:20   #22685
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I've played around with available settings, and the big bummer is Google Play Services being exempt from battery optimization. It was the biggest battery hogger under 5.x, so nothing's changed for me really. If anything, I've lost a couple of good Moto features in the bargain
Strange, that much loss is unheard of, even in my previous Sony Android phone which I held on for an almost unheard of 3.5 years the stock battery lost about 6-7% max at night (data off). This seems to be a humongous software glitch and/or hardware issue.

My current Sony phone gives close to 4 days on single charge losing about 1-2% at night. Everyone seems to support stock/plain Android O.S but to me that also sounds like marketing gimmick unless the phone's hardware like processor/RAM/battery are suitable for the new OS update. Even with Sony skin on, my phone never lags, never gave me shorter than 2 days battery life and never rebooted. I think Lenovo should just go ahead & tune their own customizations into Android.
Old 14th January 2016, 10:23   #22686
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Close your eyes and go for the Lenovo Vibe P1. You'll be sorted. All I can say. 15,999/- online. Go for Amazon.
lenovo Vibe P1 and P1m are sold exclusively through Flipkart.
Bought one for my wife recently. Initial impressions are good. The huge battery is the biggest USP. There was a hint of a UI lag but vanished after I set all animations off through the developer options.

Last edited by sandsun7 : 14th January 2016 at 10:25.
Old 14th January 2016, 13:49   #22687
Distinguished - BHPian

I continue to be happy with my new Moto Play X and Nova Launcher combination. I realise that the most fun I get out of a phone, ever, is these first few days of almost-OCD customisation and tweaking: after that it becomes just another utilitarian device.

For those wanting battery life, this phone seems to be a winner. Neither my Defy+ nor my m4i could really go without charging every night, but this phone, even with tweak-aholic screen on (but not gaming, movies, etc) seems to make it right up to the second night. And, when it doesn't, with a turbo charger, it is no big deal to get a good-enough charge if I realise it, say, half an hour before going out.

I still miss the aesthetics of the m4i, but the X Play is certainly the superior device.
Old 14th January 2016, 14:59   #22688
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
That's shocking.
Are you trying to use some software to kill running apps? Or is your Wifi on? Find out the apps consuming battery in the battery use section.
Try restarting your phone before sleeping and don't use data/wifi after the restart.

If you're the geeky type, use greenify (works best with root) and hibernate apps.
I barely ever use WiFi actually, most of my data use is cellular. As for apps, suffices to say I'll run out of apps before I run out of fingers to count. No dodgy stuff as far as I can tell, I used the same bunch on my previous much-maligned Samsung S3 and it would drop only 2-3% overnight with data off.

Google Play Services or some such Android junk is ALWAYS at the top of battery usage list. Same case when I was on 5.x and nothing's changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Strange, that much loss is unheard of.......
I'm sort of getting sick of Android now. The promised improvements never really materialize unless I'm willing to sell an arm, leg and my left kidney to buy one of those flagships.

For comparison, the better half uses a Lumia 730 and except my usage of corporate email on ActiveSync, our usage and app consumption is pretty similar. I just looked at her phone's battery section today and it showed 30-odd percent remaining. The kicker, time since last charge showed: 5 days, xx hours. All this on a 2000-odd mAh battery, I could only dream of such backup.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 14th January 2016 at 15:03.
Old 14th January 2016, 18:35   #22689
Senior - BHPian

It's been about a week with the Nexus 6P and I'm getting used to the size much faster than I expected.
It is a lovely phone and the battery lasts a day with pretty heavy usage (~3.5 - 4 hrs screen on time). The fast charging makes it even better.
The camera takes very impressive low light shots, but I really haven't used it much.

I got a pretty good buyback for my 1st gen Moto X from reglobe.in - Rs.5500 for an almost 2 year old phone.

If anyone is considering the Nexus', there is a good deal on the google play store - 6P at 35K and discounts on the 5X too.
Old 14th January 2016, 19:48   #22690
BHPian

I thought that a 15-20% drop in battery overnight is customary in an Android. My S3 and my Oneplus do lose about 20% overnight. I am surpised seeing that people are shocked. Am I doing smoething wrong with my phone?
Old 14th January 2016, 20:01   #22691
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
I thought that a 15-20% drop in battery overnight is customary in an Android. My S3 and my Oneplus do lose about 20% overnight. I am surpised seeing that people are shocked. Am I doing smoething wrong with my phone?
Understandable if your phone is actually doing something (data ON and sync services active), but with data turned off and Android M supposedly having the Doze deep-sleep feature when left idle for longer periods, that sort of usage is shocking!

My biggest problem is it seems Android services that are exempted from battery mgmt. features are the culprits (not any of my other apps), and I can't really do anything to stop them without crippling features on my phone. Duh!
Old 14th January 2016, 20:12   #22692
BHPian

Quote:
Understandable if your phone is actually doing something (data ON and sync services active), but with data turned off and Android M supposedly having the Doze deep-sleep feature when left idle for longer periods, that sort of usage is shocking!

My biggest problem is it seems Android services that are exempted from battery mgmt. features are the culprits (not any of my other apps), and I can't really do anything to stop them without crippling features on my phone. Duh!
At home I am always on WIFI, which means data is off, and sync is ON but syncs via WIFI. Is this battery saving feature only available in Marshmallow? Cos my OPO is still on Lollipop.
Old 14th January 2016, 20:40   #22693
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
At home I am always on WIFI, which means data is off, and sync is ON but syncs via WIFI. Is this battery saving feature only available in Marshmallow? Cos my OPO is still on Lollipop.
Yes, doze and other battery optimization tricks are supposedly marquee features of Android M but if the number of complaints online are any indication, it's not worked for everyone.

I updated to M only because there was nothing I could do on 5.x to stop any apps hogging my battery except disabling them. Turns out it's no different on M because some system apps (read Android/Google services) are exempt and allowed to override Doze.

I should've stuck to 5.1.1, but then the damn thing used to pop 'System Update available' every half hour or so, and there's no option to make it stop looking for updates, at least in stock Android.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 14th January 2016 at 20:44.
Old 14th January 2016, 21:34   #22694
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, doze and other battery optimization tricks are supposedly marquee features of Android M but if the number of complaints online are any indication, it's not worked for everyone.

I updated to M only because there was nothing I could do on 5.x to stop any apps hogging my battery except disabling them. Turns out it's no different on M because some system apps (read Android/Google services) are exempt and allowed to override Doze.

I should've stuck to 5.1.1, but then the damn thing used to pop 'System Update available' every half hour or so, and there's no option to make it stop looking for updates, at least in stock Android.
There was notification control in stock Lollipop. You could long press on a notification, any notification, and get into app info of the app sending the notification. From there, you could choose to stop receiving notifications from that app.
And a Marshmallow update is still nothing to regret. Now on tap is in itself an amazing feature you could not have gotten in Lollipop, and literally changes the way one uses search in mobile. And there are many small improvements under the hood as well.
Old 14th January 2016, 21:57   #22695
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
There was notification control in stock Lollipop. You could long press on a notification, any notification, and get into app info of the app sending the notification. From there, you could choose to stop receiving notifications from that app.
There was notification control even before that, but I don't believe one could stop notifications from the system updates section. I could be wrong but that's water under the bridge now. FWIW, I can't find where to turn system update notifications (the OS variety) off in 6.0 either.

Quote:
And a Marshmallow update is still nothing to regret. Now on tap is in itself an amazing feature you could not have gotten in Lollipop, and literally changes the way one uses search in mobile. And there are many small improvements under the hood as well.
I don't regret it, just that I don't see enough difference in my usage scenario, YMMV. Call me a simpleton, but I had no real use for Google Now (I turned it off on 5.x), and Now on Tap with 6.0 goes the same way.

I need my phone to do a few simple things (Email, notes, calendar, some basic apps) I ask of it well and not be a battery hog while doing it, but apparently it's too much to ask a budget/mid-range phone to do that without having to tweak stuff on it endlessly. Oh well!

If I need to constantly tweak and toggle stuff on a SMARTphone to keep it working efficiently, where's the smart in the phone exactly?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks