Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2016, 17:49   #22741
JLS
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
One plus x is available for 14999 on Amazon for 3 days and is a great phone at that price. I don't know whether invites are required or its an open sale though.
Plus 15% cashback on Citi bank cards (max 1500 though)
At 13500, I believe it is a steal.

And no invites required.
Old 21st January 2016, 18:09   #22742
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Do you guys use a rear screen guard too?
Does this phone comes with a transparent cover which can be used as a case? I remember reading it somewhere, but not 100% sure if it was really about One Plus X.
Any recommendation for a sleek case, which do not make the phone bulky? I have the Spigen rugged armor case in my mind, but not sure it will suit the taste of my wife. So, looking for other options.

Thank you for your time and inputs

--Anoop
The phone comes with a plastic screen guard already applied and a TPU back case. Most people will not need anything more for at least 6 months! But if you tend to stick your phone in jeans along with keys ( I do!) Its a good idea to get a flip cover. The original flip covers from one plus cost 649 and are very good quality and come in 6 different colours. There are also good options of original back cases too from One plus on Amazon.
You will not be able to use a tempered glass screen guard with the phone as they are smaller in size due to the 2.5d arc and look really bad on the phone. It is better to use plastic screen guards and flip cover instead.

Last edited by Behemoth : 21st January 2016 at 18:17.
Old 21st January 2016, 19:18   #22743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
There is a silicone back cover provided in the box. Drop protection would be almost 0 with this though.
Ah, that is a bummer. Looking for a bit of drop protection since invariably the phone will end up in the hands of my kid and he will drop it.

Quote:
The phone comes with a plastic screen guard already applied and a TPU back case.
You will not be able to use a tempered glass screen guard with the phone as they are smaller in size due to the 2.5d arc and look really bad on the phone. It is better to use plastic screen guards and flip cover instead.
Duh! Then I will just keep the screen guard I ordered for future use. The flip cover looks good, need to see how can I convince her to opt for one so that the phone have at least a minimal protection from falls.

Thanks for the input, guys.

--Anoop
Old 21st January 2016, 21:57   #22744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
This is a bloody good deal. It is a brilliant phone at that price. I have bought it and it covers pretty much all bases. Good Battery, Solid Feel, Good Performance and looks gorgeous! Only rant - Audio on the phone is average.
Quote:
On the Audio side, I have downloaded Audio equalizer by Sphere tools and it helps tune the sound better (Reduce the bass, as the default player tends to pump up the bass too much). The other option is too use a deprecated Media player (this option is there in the developer Options in One plus x) this make the sound flat and with less Boost.
I too am very keen on getting the OnePlus X, and the current deal is very tempting. However, some reviews are of the opinion that the Oxygen OS is quite buggy, and SD card errors and GPU issues are quite common.

Is it that bad?
Old 21st January 2016, 22:03   #22745
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
I too am very keen on getting the OnePlus X, and the current deal is very tempting. However, some reviews are of the opinion that the Oxygen OS is quite buggy, and SD card errors and GPU issues are quite common.

Is it that bad?
Not at all. It is far better than the Touchwiz which Samsung uses on its phones. It is very close to stock android and very smooth. The SD card bug was solved in the last update. I haven't experienced the GPU frame drop in any of the games I play yet.
Old 21st January 2016, 22:08   #22746
BHPian

Quote:
Not at all. It is far better than the Touchwiz which Samsung uses on its phones. It is very close to stock android and very smooth. The SD card bug was solved in the last update. I haven't experienced the GPU frame drop in any of the games I play yet.
That is a relief.

To be honest, seeing the reviews I was quite surprised that the Adreno 330 was having issues, since it was a flagship in 2014. Anyway, glad to hear its not an issue anymore.
Old 21st January 2016, 23:38   #22747
BHPian

Hello friends , I purchased Samsung Note 4 from Amazon through a third party seller but fulfilled by Amazon. I have received a valid invoice but as the phone was seal packed the warranty card is not stamped , Will I have any problem in claiming warranty if the need arises in future ?
Old 22nd January 2016, 03:04   #22748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookey View Post
Hello friends , I purchased Samsung Note 4 from Amazon through a third party seller but fulfilled by Amazon. I have received a valid invoice but as the phone was seal packed the warranty card is not stamped , Will I have any problem in claiming warranty if the need arises in future ?
I dont think you need to worry about it. I dont remember ever getting a warranty card stamped. Even in case of buying a phone from brick n mortar stores or online.

As long as there is a legitimate invoice you are good to go.

Regards,
Old 22nd January 2016, 15:02   #22749
Senior - BHPian

It has been more than 6 months since I started searching for a phone for my mother.
Requirements:
1. Small hands, so need small phones. 5" is also quite big for her
2. Good front camera (I would say 5MP) for video calls - Skype, Hangouts, etc.
3. Good (read bright display)
4. Able to handle social media apps (FB, WhatsApp, Hangouts) and Skype. This itself implies 2 GB RAM will be needed.
5. Budget 15000 Rs.

Now, it turns out the closest match was the Sony Xperia Z3 compact, but the price tag of 23K+ and the issues of screen coming apart, made me hesitate to go for an import at cheaper price.

I spent quite a bit of time waiting for the Lumia 730 to become cheaper. Somehow I was not willing to pay more than 9000 Rs. for a Windows phone (considering the app limitations that we will run in pretty soon after buying it).

The iPhone 5s has become cheaper in the last six months and the last I heard was 17500 Rs (approx.). I do not know how good the front camera is, but that is a question for the Apple thread. The 16 GB space is probably another issue.

So, when will manufacturers start building smaller phones?

Last edited by S_U_N : 22nd January 2016 at 15:05.
Old 22nd January 2016, 15:07   #22750
Senior - BHPian

Has any one purchased Samsung Galaxy On5. The features seem to be very good and the price is also a competitive one.
Old 22nd January 2016, 16:23   #22751
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I spent quite a bit of time waiting for the Lumia 730 to become cheaper. Somehow I was not willing to pay more than 9000 Rs. for a Windows phone (considering the app limitations that we will run in pretty soon after buying it).
We bought one a few months ago for ~13k from a B&M store, but got some mobikwik offers so the net outgo ended up ~10k.

As for apps, Windows Phone does have all the basics covered so unless your Mother needs some very specific apps that aren't available for the WP platform, you're good.

That phone takes pictures much better than the specs suggest, esp. the selfie cam. The display and ergonomics are great (the phone actually feels much smaller than it is), fluid UI performance and phenomenal battery back-up with moderate use.

My Moto G3 (which is no flagship, I agree, but cost me about the same) sucks in real-life usage comparison overall, better on-paper specs notwithstanding.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 22nd January 2016 at 16:28.
Old 23rd January 2016, 09:19   #22752
Senior - BHPian

Looking for a budget android phone within 6k. Requirements are good battery, stability ( no overheating or crashes ) , good speakerphone. Don't care too much about display specs or camera. Any suggestions ?

I was looking at the moto E 3G/4G that will also get the marshmallow update.
Old 23rd January 2016, 09:56   #22753
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Looking for a budget android phone within 6k. Requirements are good battery, stability ( no overheating or crashes ) , good speakerphone. Don't care too much about display specs or camera. Any suggestions ?

I was looking at the moto E 3G/4G that will also get the marshmallow update.
I would recommend the Panasonic p55 Novo - the 1gb ram one is available for 6500 on Amazon. But if you can stretch your budget the 2 GB ram version is for 8500, which gives much faster performance.
Old 23rd January 2016, 22:46   #22754
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
.. he has given how to do it
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
Is phone only rooted ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I think youve succesfully rooted.
Thanks for the help. The phone was rooted successfully and I used Link2SD (plus) to move part of the apps to the SD card. The phone has otherwise been working fine. But - The phone has slowed down a lot !

Help, pls.
Old 23rd January 2016, 23:29   #22755
Senior - BHPian

My 1.5-year-old(bought in Sep-2014) HTC Desire 816 has become a bit sluggish these days. I don't have any games installed, neither I use any unnecessary apps. Even the camera/Whatspp lags.

Desire 816 has 1.5 GB RAM and Qualcomm MSM8928 Snapdragon 400 Quad-core 1.6 GHz Cortex-A7 Processor. I believe this configuration is decent enough even in today's time for basic phone use of calls/fb/whatsapp/camera/etc use.

Should I do a factory reset on the phone?

Most Viewed