Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2016, 17:43   #22801
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Swiftkey has been bought up by Micro$oft. Wonder what they will do with it now. I loved the keyboard and have been using it for years now.
Old 3rd February 2016, 17:49   #22802
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Swiftkey has been bought up by Micro$oft. Wonder what they will do with it now. I loved the keyboard and have been using it for years now.
If they offer it on WP, I'm jumping ship.

Missing dedicated number row is a deal-breaker for me, and I absolutely love Swiftkey's multi-function keyboard. With long-press delay set to minimum (100 ms) I pretty much never have to use the numbers/symbols key to get to anything I want to type.
Old 3rd February 2016, 18:34   #22803
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It came for free on my mi 4mi. I had paid for Swype, but immediately found Swiftey so much better that I forgot about Swype. I don't even need anything non-free. I hope the developers were amply rewarded for their great work by this sale --- but I hope the product doesn't change or start smelling of microsoft. Might have to mark it not-to-upgrade!
Old 3rd February 2016, 19:08   #22804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
If they offer it on WP, I'm jumping ship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It came for free on my mi 4mi. I had paid for Swype, but immediately found Swiftey so much better that I forgot about Swype. I don't even need anything non-free. I hope the developers were amply rewarded for their great work by this sale --- but I hope the product doesn't change or start smelling of microsoft. Might have to mark it not-to-upgrade!
Yes, a great product and looks like they were paid well. But if it does start to look like an M$ product, I will move to some other keyboard. Shucks!
Old 3rd February 2016, 19:12   #22805
BHPian

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-imageuploadedbyteambhp1454506733.724413.jpgAndroid Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-imageuploadedbyteambhp1454506756.532574.jpg

Got my Le 1S delivered today. Initial impression is that it has got a premium look, quite fast like iPh6S, fingerprint sensor is great, and photos look ok but not great.
Old 3rd February 2016, 19:13   #22806
Senior - BHPian

Finally Vodafone has started 4G services in NCR. Got it on my Moto X Style today.

Speed is not so great but I hope it will improve after formal launch.

Got 4G at most places in Gurgaon but nowhere in Delhi I visited today.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1.png  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-2.png  

Old 3rd February 2016, 19:25   #22807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Finally Vodafone has started 4G services in NCR. Got it on my Moto X Style today.

Speed is not so great but I hope it will improve after formal launch.

Got 4G at most places in Gurgaon but nowhere in Delhi I visited today.
Speed on 4G services seems to be not so great in my place (Kochi). When Airtel started service (2-3 months back), I used to get 30-40 Mbps and now its settled down around 10-12 Mbps. I have an Idea connection which consistently gives around 25-26 Mbps since the day they launched 4G services, probably they will come down too once more users shift to 4G. Being said that, Airtel 4G speed is almost similar to 3G services in my village which gives around 9.5-10 Mbps. So for me, the only joy from 4G is seeing the "LTE" symbol
Old 3rd February 2016, 20:12   #22808
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post

Missing dedicated number row is a deal-breaker for me, and I absolutely love Swiftkey's multi-function keyboard. With long-press delay set to minimum (100 ms) I pretty much never have to use the numbers/symbols key to get to anything I want to type.
Have you given TouchPal a shot? I've been using it for ever.
Old 3rd February 2016, 20:57   #22809
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, a great product and looks like they were paid well. But if it does start to look like an M$ product, I will move to some other keyboard. Shucks!
Does MS have a presence in the Android app market? Perhaps I just don't know because I wouldn't be looking for MS products to put on my phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Speed on 4G services seems to be not so great
When I first had Airtel 4G I was perfectly able to tether my PC during landline broadband outages and not notice the difference. OK, 8Mb landline; so that may not be saying much, but now, I'm lucky to get a signal and 2G in my Chennai-suburb house.
Old 3rd February 2016, 23:03   #22810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Attachment 1468666Attachment 1468667

Got my Le 1S delivered today. Initial impression is that it has got a premium look, quite fast like iPh6S, fingerprint sensor is great, and photos look ok but not great.
Congrats buddy.
I am thinking of getting the same.
Could you update about the following -
1. Performance, any lag observed during multitasking?
2. Camera quality.. Indoor and outdoor?
3. Battery, SOT with the level of screen brightness you are using.
4. Build quality.
5. How useful is its fast charging?
6. Which adapter you are using for otg purposes especially using the car charger?

Any other pros and cons you remember.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by harry10 : 3rd February 2016 at 23:04.
Old 5th February 2016, 12:44   #22811
BHPian

A colleague of mine has been searching for a golden Note 5 single sim in the 64gb guise since some days. It is not available at any of the shops we checked with so far - Samsung, reliance, croma & online. Is there a reason for this. Being pushed to get 32gb one which is now going for 43k at Croma or the 64gb dual sim which is more expensive. Is the single sim 64 go being discontinued or is the price being reduced. Stocks of other colours is also very limited. Any idea guys?
Old 5th February 2016, 15:09   #22812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Congrats buddy.
I am thinking of getting the same.
Could you update about the following -
1. Performance, any lag observed during multitasking?
2. Camera quality.. Indoor and outdoor?
3. Battery, SOT with the level of screen brightness you are using.
4. Build quality.
6. Which adapter you are using for otg purposes especially using the car charger?

Any other pros and cons you remember.
Thanks in advance.
1. With MediaTek Helio X10 processor, one expects a good performance from the phone and it didn't fail to impress me on this count. Multitasking was lag free. Though I am not an avid gamer, I felt that the overall software performance was great without any lags.

2. Camera quality is poor for both indoor and outdoor. Under low light condition, the output is just average.

3. Though it is too early to comment on battery life and SOT as I have just completed two cycles, the battery life is below average. With an hour of web browsing and email syncing, frequent WhatsApp messaging, and 30 minutes of calls, the juice in the battery is gone! May need a testing for a week at least.

4. Built quality is simply superb. The gold color metal body gives a premium look. It is advisable to have a flip cover or something else to cover the body, as I found the metal gets smudged easily.

5. Fast charging is really cool and it had taken close to an hour and fifteen minutes for the battery to go from 13% to 100%.

6. As of now, I am not using any OTG cable.

My suggestion would be to compare this with Huawei Honor 5X and make a decision. Though high end specs may entice someone into buying this phone, battery life and camera are a big let down.
Old 5th February 2016, 15:16   #22813
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
According to me, it is very useful. Useful enough to have spent quite a lot of money on the Qualcom-compliant quick chargers for my phones.

This happens: your phone might happily sit on standby for the rest of the day, until plugged in for an overnight charge, but, suddenly, you need to go out; you want to use navigation, camera, etc. and you want to push as much charge into your phone as you can in the half hour it takes you to get ready. It works for me

a different topic, and a question from me...

Rooting the Moto X Play

Moto X Play, XT1562, Android 6.0 out-of-the-box+OTA stock.

I intend to follow the instructions on this XDA thread. I'll be using fastboot and adb from Linux Mint 17.1 (Ubuntu-based).

I intend to install TWRP and root the stock rom. For now, I am not intending to install any other rom.

Obviously, XDA is the place to be, but oh-so-much-information can make the wood hard to find among the trees. Any specific warnings or advice from the wizards here?
Old 5th February 2016, 15:58   #22814
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I intend to install TWRP and root the stock rom. For now, I am not intending to install any other rom.

Obviously, XDA is the place to be, but oh-so-much-information can make the wood hard to find among the trees. Any specific warnings or advice from the wizards here?
STOP! This is a slippery slope and before you know it, there are different ROMs being installed.

In the name of the lord, why?

Is peace and stability and lag-free behavior not your priority? Let things be, no?
Old 5th February 2016, 16:37   #22815
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
STOP! This is a slippery slope and before you know it, there are different ROMs being installed ...
ha ha... well, partly because I'm a fiddler, partly because I don't want to see ads (I do buy adfree versions, I'm not [just] parasitical) and partly because I want to be able to have the potential of nandroid backups, run stuff like Titanium, take a look at what Xposed can do.

Weren't you one of the people who encouraged me to install Cyanogenmod on my defy+ a few years ago? That was a decision that I never regretted!

Never fear: I'll keep a trail of nandroid backups!

Unlike Xiaomi, Motorola tell us that, once we root (in fact, from the moment they give us an unlock key), that's it for the warranty. However, at least they don't make it hard, and they do have stock images available.

Whilst it is a communications lifeline (especially when I'm out there, alone, on the road), I don't actually make many phone calls. My phone is more of a pocket computer. And that does call for some of that fiddling I mentioned!

So far, I can get the functionality and customisability with a mere launcher change. I'm not running for new roms. I'd be waiting until the 6.0-based roms are more mature anyway.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks