Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2016, 20:51   #22816
BHPian

Running CM13 on my Moto G 2nd Gen and absolutely loving the experience. Extremely smooth, much better battery life and some very good features make it a worthwhile upgrade. Overall, extremely satisfied.

Boy am I loving custom ROMs! Fiddling with an Android device is so much fun!
Old 6th February 2016, 09:36   #22817
BANNED

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
STOP! This is a slippery slope and before you know it, there are different ROMs being installed.

In the name of the lord, why?

Is peace and stability and lag-free behavior not your priority? Let things be, no?
I used to root my phones, until KitKat, and have stopped since. With htc it was a pain, getting S-off, then rooting. What made me go off is that OS updates became seamless, and also the moment you rooted and installed TWRP or the ClockWork Mod recovery auto updates were no longer available. Most feature we used to install are now part of the Android OS. The only think I miss is Titanium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Running CM13 on my Moto G 2nd Gen and absolutely loving the experience. Extremely smooth, much better battery life and some very good features make it a worthwhile upgrade. Overall, extremely satisfied.

Let us hope you keep up the enthusiasm after a year.

One place where custom ROM and root is the only way is when the manufacturer stops releasing new versions of the OS. This is about two years after the model is dropped.
Old 9th February 2016, 02:33   #22818
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Those waiting to upgrade samsung can wait for the S7. . The device is slick, screen has around 580DPI, stunningly fast marshmellow and beautiful overall. Looks similar to S6 but has minor changes in overall device.

Best news, comes with SD card support. 12MP camera for sure but the pictures look crisp when compared to the S6.

Very light and the gold color is just beautifully constructed. Speed of operation is very high and the finger print scanner looks and works much advanced than the earlier generation.

64 Bit architecture but will share more details on exact processor. Battery is 3000 MAH.
Old 9th February 2016, 10:05   #22819
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post

Which tut did you follow ?

And did you encounter any errors during the rooting ?
Old 9th February 2016, 11:37   #22820
BHPian

Hi guys!
Got myself the BlackBerry priv yesterday. I've owned quite a few bb legacy devices in the past and even had the q10 for a while.
Later I was forced to move to android mainly because of apps. Then when I heard about the Priv, it was a dream come true! Best of both worlds!
I know it's terribly overpriced n all but iam huge BlackBerry fan boy!
I'll update you guys soon after I have used the phone for a while.

Cheers
Vibhu

Last edited by vibhu_f430 : 9th February 2016 at 11:42.
Old 9th February 2016, 16:15   #22821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
One place where custom ROM and root is the only way is when the manufacturer stops releasing new versions of the OS. This is about two years after the model is dropped.
Exactly! Custom ROMs are the only reason my Galaxy Tab 2 is doing well. The UI with lollipop is slick and Minimal os does the job really well.
Same with the Nexus 4. Running CM13 nightlies. Pretty stable after the battery replacement a month ago.
Old 9th February 2016, 20:03   #22822
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinmaybaikar View Post
Exactly! Custom ROMs are the only reason my Galaxy Tab 2 is doing well. The UI with lollipop is slick and Minimal os does the job really well.
Same with the Nexus 4. Running CM13 nightlies. Pretty stable after the battery replacement a month ago.
I have a Galaxy Tab 2 with stock android (Jellybean, I guess).

Would you please recommend a custom ROM (with link to download) ?
Old 9th February 2016, 22:43   #22823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
I have a Galaxy Tab 2 with stock android (Jellybean, I guess).

Would you please recommend a custom ROM (with link to download) ?
Unofficial CM13 looks good. Android-Andi is the developer and he is an expert and saviour for all tab 2 owners. Haven't tried it yet but if you want I can flash it and give a small review so that you can go ahead with it.
Here is the link:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...m13-0-t3303798

PS: This is for the 7 inch version
Old 10th February 2016, 06:56   #22824
Senior - BHPian

I need to replace my tired galaxy S3 with a new backup android. My eyes are set on the awesome Redmi Note 3 but I'm not sure when it'll arrive. Any one has a better sense?

Else I'd rather simply buy the Coolpad Note 3 - it has the two key attributes: 3 GB RAM, lag free operation (unlike Le 1s).
Old 10th February 2016, 07:10   #22825
BANNED

Quote:
Else I'd rather simply buy the Coolpad Note 3 - it has the two key attributes: 3 GB RAM, lag free operation (unlike Le 1s).
Three of my colleagues have the Coolpad Note 3 and none of them are happy with the performance. It is laggy and somewhat the touch doesn't respond well.
Old 10th February 2016, 10:13   #22826
BHPian

Quote:
I need to replace my tired galaxy S3 with a new backup android. My eyes are set on the awesome Redmi Note 3 but I'm not sure when it'll arrive. Any one has a better sense?

The Huawei Honor 5x at about 12k also makes a huge case for itself. Metallic body, fingerprint reader, great screen, big battery. I guess it has started selling in India too.
Old 10th February 2016, 11:18   #22827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Three of my colleagues have the Coolpad Note 3 and none of them are happy with the performance. It is laggy and somewhat the touch doesn't respond well.
Thanks a bunch. That is news. I guess I'll now search for used devices via Quikr before deciding

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
The Huawei Honor 5x at about 12k also makes a huge case for itself. Metallic body, fingerprint reader, great screen, big battery. I guess it has started selling in India too.
http://gizmodo.com/huawei-s-cheap-ho...sof-1757310950

Sounds like a no go to me! I don't trust OEM software but I trust hardware - 3GB RAM is the minimum I'll consider in a non-moto phone.
Old 10th February 2016, 11:21   #22828
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks a bunch. That is news. I guess I'll now search for used devices via Quikr before deciding
What budget are you exactly looking at?
Old 10th February 2016, 13:39   #22829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Which tut did you follow ?

And did you encounter any errors during the rooting ?
Hi,

This was the second time I flashed a custom ROM, earlier one was CM12.1. So I didn't require a tutorial this time.

Rooting a Motorola is quite straightforward I would say. Wasn't that big a deal for me as some websites claim it to be. There were absolutely zero issues. Just make sure that you are patient enough and follow the steps carefully and not brick the device.

Neel
Old 11th February 2016, 09:26   #22830
Distinguished - BHPian

Bought a Coolpad Note 3 for an elderly person in our home. His earlier phone was Lumia 520. Except the contacts and media, transferring sms/whatsapp chats was such a nightmare. Being a lite user, there wasn't much of whatsapp chats/sms, so eventually asked him to start afresh.

Fingerprint recognition works like a charm, no fiddling with buttons to unlock. You can selectively lock apps also. Did not much like the stock launcher - MIUI kind interface so installed the Google Now launcher and it feels much better.

Initial impressions of camera - looks good in good light, average in low/poor light. Front cam is great for the price paid. Though I doubt the user would put it to that demanding 'selfie' use anytime soon. But good for a skype call.

The rubberized back is great to hold and makes sure you don't slip the phone accidentally.

Screen is big, but the low resolution (720p on 5.5") will be kinda apparent at some places if you are used to 1080p screens. Or maybe its just a placebo effect.

The bundled earphone are positively cheap! But when the owner is satisfied, I can't complain.

Overall, it is a budget phone with a few key differentiators.

I plan to sell his old phone on reGlobe who are offering a buyback of ~1500. Let's see what they offer upfront. My landed price would come out to ~5.5k (Had a Amazon card 2k balance), and for that money it is a great phone!

PS - Hope it lasts the distance too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks