Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2016, 17:05   #23101
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick79 View Post
Not willing to risk with RedMi, Coolpad, etc and other Chinese makes.
I would not heap Xiaomi in with the growing hoards of cheap'n'chearful Chinese phones. Who knows if some of these companies will be around by the end of next month? I'm fairly sure that Xiaomi will. They might even outlast some of the companies that have been big names for years.

They also come with huge community support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
All custom ROM gurus, I have few questions for you.
I'm sure that someone here will have some useful answers, but I suggest that your biggest source of information will be the device-specific XDA forums and the Mi forums.

Generally, in the past, Xiaomi has not voided warranty for rooted/custom-rom phones. I suppose they are the only [?] phone manufacturer that actually produces custom roms, so that is their background and ethos.

However, please scroll back a page or three to news about Xiaomi now locking their bootloaders, and not making it a simple matter to unlock them. I don't know if this affects your phone. XDA is probably your potential best friend on this.
Old 25th March 2016, 17:45   #23102
BHPian

Quote:
Guys/ Experts,

Thanks in advance.
Maverick79.
Moto G Turbo would be your best bet according to your requirements.

Have found my first bug on my Killer Note post Marshmallow update. The camera refuses to store to SD card. Though in the settings it shows SD card as I set it, but it stores in a separate 'camera' folder in the internal memory only. Now I don't know how to fix that. It wasn't so before.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th March 2016 at 21:34. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 25th March 2016, 17:57   #23103
Senior - BHPian

Re: EU MIUI ROM (unofficial multi language) without root possible?

Quote:
Guys/ Experts,

Just saw the reviews on Lenevo Vibe K5 pluse. Seems the battery is pretty disappointing. Also, people are mentioning about high/ quick heating problem.

Now back to Square 1. Pls help me in finding a phone with the below specs in order of preference.

1. Screen : Not more than 5"
2. Batter Back up : At least 24 hrs.
3. RAM: Min 2 GB.
4. Processor: Min 1.4 GHz.
5. Less heating.
6. Budget : Not more than INR 15 K.

Thanks in advance.
Maverick79.
Try the Moto G3, or G Turbo. They should fit your criteria. Oneplus X if you can stretch your budget.

Quote:

My questions are:
1. Without rooting my phone, can I install EU Multi MIUI Stable (MULTI 6.3.24) from this page ROMs DOWNLOADS page where it's mentioned " DOWNLOAD STABLE (W/O ROOT, NO WEEKLY UPDATES)" ?
With an unlocked bootloader, there's no need to root your phone to flash the rom. Sorry, I don't know the answers to the other two.
Old 25th March 2016, 18:14   #23104
BHPian

Quote:
My questions are:
1. Without rooting my phone, can I install EU Multi MIUI Stable (MULTI 6.3.24) from this page ROMs DOWNLOADS page where it's mentioned " DOWNLOAD STABLE (W/O ROOT, NO WEEKLY UPDATES)" ?
2. If I install the the EU Multi MIUI Stable ROM, can I go back to Official MIUI Chinese Stable ROM?
3. Will warranty be void in this process?

Thanks a lot for your response
By the looks of it, it needs a bootloader unlock and a custom recovery to install. A bootloader unlock DOES void the warranty. 'Rooting' basically is just allowing superuser access to apps or adb devices, which can also be controlled or switched off. It is not permanent. It is not such that once you 'root' your phone it stays rooted forever. Bootloader unlocks are permanent however. And in many cases phones need to be unlocked for rooting them.
If you install it or any custom ROM for that matter, yes, you can go back to your original firmware, but you will lose your data in the process.
And as bootloader unlock is involved, yes the warranty will be void.
Old 25th March 2016, 18:42   #23105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
By the looks of it, it needs a bootloader unlock and a custom recovery to install. A bootloader unlock DOES void the warranty.
True. But all Xiaomi devices I've used (mi4i and redmi note 4g) come with unlocked boot loaders. So in this cane, you'll still be under warranty coverage.
Old 25th March 2016, 20:29   #23106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Have found my first bug on my Killer Note post Marshmallow update. The camera refuses to store to SD card. Though in the settings it shows SD card as I set it, but it stores in a separate 'camera' folder in the internal memory only. Now I don't know how to fix that. It wasn't so before.
I think I can help you with that. I had the same issue and this is what I did and it's solved. Goto Settings->Apps->Lenovo Snapit-> select clear defaults.
Now open the camera app. It's going to be like it's loading for the first time. You will see a welcome screen saying Camera V4.1. Make sure storage is set to SD.Now try click a pic and see. Should work.
Old 25th March 2016, 20:48   #23107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Moto G Turbo would be your best bet according to your requirements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Try the Moto G3, or G Turbo. They should fit your criteria. Oneplus X if you can stretch your budget..
'Moto G Turbo' has issues of heating even on normal use. There has been no fixes yet, for the same.
Old 25th March 2016, 21:29   #23108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
'Moto G Turbo' has issues of heating even on normal use. There has been no fixes yet, for the same.
As of now with your "non-chinese" requirement, the Moto seems the only logical choice. If I was you I'd go for the Lenovo Vibe P1m and have lots of fun. All criteria met except for processor 1ghz. Big 4000mAh battery, 5.0 screen, splash proof. Lenovo's are good. Believe me.

All those crappy Chinese stuff we used to know before is much improved these days. Miles more practical and good brand value.

Hardware-wise, the P1m might be a bit inferior on camera front, but otherwise you'd be sorted. After all, the way I see it, battery should be the main concern in today's date for a phone user. And the Chinese people give you the best bang for your buck there. I mean, what good is a slick top brand kidney-priced mobile with no charge in it.
Old 25th March 2016, 22:28   #23109
Senior - BHPian

Ordered Moto G Turbo yesterday for my mother. Hope she is able to get used to the size (upgrading from a tiny feature phone).
Keeping fingers crossed.

The offer with Citi bank cash back was too goo to ignore, in my opinion.
Old 25th March 2016, 22:59   #23110
Distinguished - BHPian

Need help with a Gionee
A friend's Gionee is locked, saying too many wrong attempts. It is showing up the mail id & password fields, but not able to enter anything there.

Is there anything that we can do such that we dont lose the contents ?
Old 25th March 2016, 23:24   #23111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Need help with a Gionee
A friend's Gionee is locked, saying too many wrong attempts. It is showing up the mail id & password fields, but not able to enter anything there.

Is there anything that we can do such that we dont lose the contents ?
Try https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager

Login with the credentials and change the lock code.
Old 25th March 2016, 23:53   #23112
Distinguished - BHPian

there is a message above the mail id field that says too many attempts. We are not getting the keypad - hence not able to login
Old 26th March 2016, 01:08   #23113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
The non-turbo version should also satisfy your requirements, if you are not into gaming and stuff. Performs well for day to day tasks and battery life has been reported to be quite good.
Old 26th March 2016, 12:51   #23114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
there is a message above the mail id field that says too many attempts. We are not getting the keypad - hence not able to login
Try to hook up a wireless keyboard/mice through an OTG cable and see if that let's you type.

I wiped my device clean similar way when the screen broke and no touch inputs were registering. First thing I did on the next phone was activate Android device manager.
Old 26th March 2016, 14:02   #23115
Senior - BHPian

My HTC Desire 816 got Android 6.0 Marshmallow update a day back. Phone is now much faster with the new OS.

PS - Also received Samsung Galaxy S7 yesterday, will post a review after using the phone for few days.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks