Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2016, 10:49   #23296
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Isn't the K4 note 12K? Where do you see it for under 10K?

Rather than the K4 note why not the Xiaomi Redmi note 3? For 9,999 you get a better processor Snapdragon 652 and a host of better features.
Ofcourse Redmi Note 3 is the first choice of my and fellow member tibby

Currently Amazon is selling only the 2GB / 16 GB variant, which why we all are on hold at this moment.
I am not buying a Lenovo now, waiting when the Redmi 3GB variant goes on sale.

Just incase someone is in a hurry, Lenovo is not a bad proposition in its price range.
Now, please don't come up with your Huawei Honor and bunch of other unknown phones
Old 22nd April 2016, 10:52   #23297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
The Vibe S1 looks overpriced for the things it is offering !

Why not look at Lenovo K4 Note. For 12k, it offers a better processor (although all Mediatek processors are crap), bigger screen, bigger battery, fingerprint scanner. This one has a 3GB RAM and 32GB ROM too !

http://www.amazon.in/Lenovo-Vibe-K4-...lenovo+k4+note

http://www.amazon.in/dp/B017U1OPXE?t...e-2c1f071dc594
The K4 Note is only available in 16GB variant here. That's the deal breaker for me.
Why do you say the Vibe S1 is not worth the price? You have also shared the link to the phone, I'm not sure why.

Quote:
Rather than the K4 note why not the Xiaomi Redmi note 3? For 9,999 you get a better processor Snapdragon 652 and a host of better features.
He was replying to my post. I have been considering the Vibe S1 now, as the Redmi Note 3 is difficult to get hold of.

Last edited by tibby : 22nd April 2016 at 10:59. Reason: Edited quoted post to make it more relevant
Old 22nd April 2016, 10:55   #23298
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Now, please don't come up with your Huawei Honor and bunch of other unknown phones
Theres a reason why the huawei honor 5x is 13k which is more than the rest.

Huawei might look to be a Chinese brand but they are as established as lenovo and xiaomi.

There's also a reason why Google went with huawei for making their flagship Nexus 6P phone.

Don't think they are unknown. They are rated higher than lenovo and xiaomi.

It's only the people who are not aware think it is an unknown Chinese brand.
Old 22nd April 2016, 11:05   #23299
BHPian

Quote:
Isn't the K4 note 12K? Where do you see it for under 10K?

I second this. Redmi not 3, even with 2GB, is a pretty good proposition at the given price. I don't think an additional GB will make too much of a difference in the overall experience unless you intend to play heavy games on it. Otherwise, it looks and feels like an expensive phone. Almost everyone who saw the phone though it to be in the 24-25k price range.

Last edited by lordvader : 22nd April 2016 at 11:06.
Old 22nd April 2016, 11:18   #23300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibby View Post
The K4 Note is only available in 16GB variant here. That's the deal breaker for me.
Why do you say the Vibe S1 is not worth the price? You have also shared the link to the phone, I'm not sure why.
I provided the link to both the phoes to compare the specs of both the phones provided at the end of the Amazon page.
Too lazy to build a spreadsheet comparision

The Vibe S1 at 15k is another Note 4 minus the Fingerprint scanner, bigger screen, better processor that the Note 4 offers at 3k less.
The deal breaker for Note 4 is the 16GB ROM. But then it has a regular Micro SD slot (unlike Hybrid slot of Redmi) capable of handling upto 128GB !

Quote:
Huawei might look to be a Chinese brand but they are as established as lenovo and xiaomi.
There's also a reason why Google went with huawei for making their flagship Nexus 6P phone.
Apart from Samsung, Nokia, Apple, the rest gang of phones these days don't have a service center for support.
With the current trend of use and throw affordable phones, I feel the brands are getting away with strong service network. That is how they are able to cut costs of the handset. But that doesn't guarantee a product free from problems.

Micromax, Redmi still have have decent support reviews.
But, just 2 days back read a terrible review of a fellow member with a Huawei product.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post3956188

It may be an one off case. I am okay if they manufacture for Google. I expect stringent quality checks by Huawei since they are supplying to a premium customer.
But as a standalone brand, I would stay clear of Huawei.

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 22nd April 2016 at 11:21.
Old 22nd April 2016, 11:26   #23301
BHPian

Redmi Note 3 users - am i the only one who is feeling that camera is pathetic despite 16 mp? There are too much of noise in all images! Any suggestions or is any update to be done?
Old 22nd April 2016, 11:29   #23302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Redmi Note 3 users - am i the only one who is feeling that camera is pathetic despite 16 mp? There are too much of noise in all images! Any suggestions or is any update to be done?
Interesting ! I had closely examined the Lenovo K4 Note of a close friend. Found his camera had too much noise and sluggishness while just moving around the focus, didn't click either.

I felt that the Redmi Note 3's camera would be smoother to move and focus around. Scary to hear your complaint.
Old 22nd April 2016, 11:33   #23303
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Apart from Samsung, Nokia, Apple, the rest gang of phones these days don't have a service center for support.
With the current trend of use and throw affordable phones, I feel the brands are getting away with strong service network. That is how they are able to cut costs of the handset. But that doesn't guarantee a product free from problems.

Micromax, Redmi still have have decent support reviews.
But, just 2 days back read a terrible review of a fellow member with a Huawei product.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post3956188

It may be an one off case. I am okay if they manufacture for Google. I expect stringent quality checks by Huawei since they are supplying to a premium customer.
But as a standalone brand, I would stay clear of Huawei.
You are comparing a power bank review vs a mobile phone?

Have you seen the number of complaints on the Xiaomi Mi Power bank?

Secondly, not a single manufacturer including Samsung has proper after sales. Not just Huawei. All are poor to extremely poor.

Xiaomi after sales is equally mixed reviews as any other brand. Unless you can quantify the quality, in my opinion all 3 Xiaomi, Lenovo and Huawei are chinese brands on par.

Huawei doesn't just make mobile phones, they make their own chipsets (Hisilicon Kirin), USB dongles, Modems along with mobile phones.

The Nexus 6P is made by Huawei but is a 36K phone so you cannot compare it with a Rs.2000 power bank or a Rs.12,000 mobile phone.

It's like saying I expect same quality from an Alto that I get with an S-cross.

Like I mentioned, the only reason one would discount Huawei is lack of awareness vs Xiaomi and Lenovo. Both these companies have done well in flooding the Indian market vs Huawei which has not gone the same way in marketing.
Old 22nd April 2016, 11:40   #23304
BHPian

Quote:

I agree with you regarding Huawei being a big name in the electronics market.
However, they haven't really clicked with consumers in India. A part of it surely has to do with lack of awareness (advertisements and flash sales).

I remember in 2013, looking at a Huawei handset of a relative of mine. I thought the build quality & pricing were very competitive then.
I'm sure they have maintained that to date; but I haven't really seen anyone else I know having a Huawei handset since then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
I second this. Redmi not 3, even with 2GB, is a pretty good proposition at the given price. I don't think an additional GB will make too much of a difference in the overall experience unless you intend to play heavy games on it. Otherwise, it looks and feels like an expensive phone. Almost everyone who saw the phone though it to be in the 24-25k price range.
The Redmi Note 3 is a VFM (Value For Money) handset. Although I haven't seen it in the flesh as yet, I have heard good things from people who have seen it.
Only complain people seem to have is that it heats up on continuous use & when using graphic intensive applications.

Since it has been impossible for me (& my friends helping me) to get hold of the 32GB variant of the Redmi Note 3 during last 2 sales, I am now considering the Lenovo Vibe S1.
The only shortcoming in this phone is 2500mAh battery versus the mammoth 4000mAh of the Redmi Note 3.
Fingerprint scanner is not really a requirement, and its absence on the Vibe S1 won't be a point to worry about for me.

Quote:
I provided the link to both the phoes to compare the specs of both the phones provided at the end of the Amazon page.
Too lazy to build a spreadsheet comparision

The Vibe S1 at 15k is another Note 4 minus the Fingerprint scanner, bigger screen, better processor that the Note 4 offers at 3k less.
The deal breaker for Note 4 is the 16GB ROM. But then it has a regular Micro SD slot (unlike Hybrid slot of Redmi) capable of handling upto 128GB
Okay, I was wondering if you posted the link to the Vibe S1 thinking it is the 32GB K4 Note.

Since the planned purchase is for the wife, she would be happier with a 5" phone, than a 5.5" which at times may be a liability to carry around.
Quite often, the phone will land up in my pocket when the Missus and I will be out together. So a lighter & smaller S1 sounds better than a heavier & bigger Note 3.
The S1 has a smaller screen than the Note 3, but higher pixel density (at 441ppi vs. 403ppi). That should qualify for a better display experience.

A single SIM is all that will be required for regular use; hence a hybrid or dedicated slot won't really matter. Moreover, considering that I'm looking for a 32GB ROM phone, the need for chossing between SIM2 & micro-SD will also be almost avoided.
I'm not too conversant with the processors, and as long as the phone is decently fast, it won't really matter. She won't be using graphic intensive stuff like games.
Old 22nd April 2016, 11:44   #23305
BHPian

Quote:
Interesting ! I had closely examined the Lenovo K4 Note of a close friend. Found his camera had too much noise and sluggishness while just moving around the focus, didn't click either.

I felt that the Redmi Note 3's camera would be smoother to move and focus around. Scary to hear your complaint.

Please see the HDR photos i clicked in the morning. Seems like low light performance is poor.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20160419_063321_hdr.jpg
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20160419_063549_hdr.jpg

If you zoom it , you can notice the noise.

Last edited by sairamboko : 22nd April 2016 at 11:44. Reason: edited
Old 22nd April 2016, 12:01   #23306
BHPian

Moto X Force available with close to 30% cut in price. It’s now in the range of Nexus 6P, Galaxy S6 and iPhone 6S. It’s just another flagship whose tech specs are mostly in line with the competition but with few glaring omissions like finger print scanner, camera OIS, stereo speakers( which is available in Moto X Style) and probably looks. All Moto phones look the same and the looks of Force doesn't justify its actual price.

The highlight is the shatter proof display. I have a habit of keeping phones for as long as it holds up well or is not serviceable further.

At the current price it looks quite VFM taking the shatter proof display into consideration.
Updates confirmed till Android N which will make sure the phone can be used well into 2018. The specs are good enough to make the phone useable even after 3 years from now. The additional Moto features are great and work brilliantly as well.

I had zeroed in on Nexus 6P and am waiting for the price to drop close to 30 K and bundling it with other Flipkart offers get it for less than 30 K. I got a Moto X style for wife last year for 25 K with quite a few offers and exchange of Nexus 4. Force at this price has got me thinking again.

My current phone is well into its 4th year. I have changed the display once and unfortunately it shattered again when it fell on my leg. It would have fallen at least a 100 times on floors and various more rougher surface but shattered when it fell on my leg.

The Moto X Force is sturdy enough to last more than 3 years as per reviews. Inputs from experts would be helpful.

iPhones are a big no for me and after using Nexus mobiles for last few years it either has to a be Nexus phone or a Moto phone as it comes closest to pure Android experience.

I do not believe in spending anything more than 25-30 K on a phone and like to keep my mobiles till they give up. Force looks an enticing option and the additional sturdiness will make sure that the additional money I am paying now can be recovered by using it longer than other mobiles.

Else I will wait for Nexus 6P prices to fall down below 30 K. Best time off course would be around Diwali when the next set of Nexus phones from HTC come in. The prices of the current gen Nexus will fall down and the juicy offers during Diwali will make sure the Nexus 6P can be had for a very mouthwatering VFM price.
Old 22nd April 2016, 12:02   #23307
BHPian

Quote:

The only shortcoming in this phone is 2500mAh battery versus the mammoth 4000mAh of the Redmi Note 3.

Since the planned purchase is for the wife, she would be happier with a 5" phone, than a 5.5" which at times may be a liability to carry around.
Quite often, the phone will land up in my pocket when the Missus and I will be out together. So a lighter & smaller S1 sounds better than a heavier & bigger Note 3.

I'm not too conversant with the processors, and as long as the phone is decently fast, it won't really matter. She won't be using graphic intensive stuff like games.
The choice is entirely yours, however, I thought I'll share my two cents on the above points.

Battery is definitely a huge plus in this phone. And surprisingly, it doesn't feel bulky or heavy at all. Many a times I have to check if I have the phone in my pocket because it feels so much lighter than even my Nexus 4 and moto Gs. I agree on the screen bit but even then it did not feel unusable or anything. By the way, redmi note 3 has a one-hand mode which you can switch on anytime by swiping on the navigation bar.

I would put my money on a snapdragon any day. And I also would urge you to give importance to processor and ram if not anything else. My sense is that these thing matter if you intend to keep it for longer than six months or a year.
Old 22nd April 2016, 12:08   #23308
BHPian

Quote:
Xiaomi after sales is equally mixed reviews as any other brand. Unless you can quantify the quality, in my opinion all 3 Xiaomi, Lenovo and Huawei are chinese brands on par.

Huawei doesn't just make mobile phones, they make their own chipsets (Hisilicon Kirin), USB dongles, Modems along with mobile phones.

Like I mentioned, the only reason one would discount Huawei is lack of awareness vs Xiaomi and Lenovo. Both these companies have done well in flooding the Indian market vs Huawei which has not gone the same way in marketing.
Exactly. Lenovo, Xiaomi, Asus, and Huawei are very similar in terms of quality and everything else. The last two have improved since they've got their Nexus contracts though. (Perhaps did learn a thing or two from the big G!).
And regarding awareness, Lenovo had the advantage of being a known commodity. They have been present here through computers. But Xiaomi have been really good in that regard. 90% of the people can't even pronounce that name right, nobody had ever heard of them before, they come from the wrong country in terms of brand value, but the Mi3 and early RedMi's took them places in India.
And the Kirin chipsets are just as bad as the Mediatek ones.
Old 22nd April 2016, 12:58   #23309
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
And the Kirin chipsets are just as bad as the Mediatek ones.
lol. Yeah I never said the Kirin processors were good. Just that Huawei also designs their own processors which shows they are not just some small low rung chinese brand.

The Redmi Note 3 has one huge advantage in the Snapdragon 652 processor. This improves on the earlier 615 by a huge margin in terms of thermal efficiency.

Quote:
I am now considering the Lenovo Vibe S1.
Fingerprint scanner is not really a requirement, and its absence on the Vibe S1 won't be a point to worry about for me.
Tibby, if the phone is for your wife and you need a smaller form factor then please forget all these 5.5" phablets.

Just go and order the One Plus X!

At the reduced 14,999 price it's a steal. It is one of the most beautifully designed phones, has SD card slot or dual sim support, 3G RAM and the flagship processor from 2014.

It maybe an older chip Snapdragon 801, but it doesn't have as much thermal issues and doesn't throttle down as much. Yes it's not a 64 bit CPU so not as future proof but after using the One Plus X for 1 month I was blown away by it especially since it was 15K.

Batter life, camera quality was better than my Moto X 2nd gen whhich I bought for 32K. The OS was close to stock android with some very handy add ons.

It's my current pick of the lot for anyone looking at sub 20K phone.
Old 22nd April 2016, 14:33   #23310
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

... ... ...

Quote:
Whilst one would not be inspired by some of the cheapo ISP-supplied DSL modems from Huawei, I think those items are exactly the quality they are meant to be: throw-away freebees. I am years out of date on this market, and could not say "Huwawei is the world's biggest networking-equipment supplier." They might not be, but I'm sure that the internet would stop, worldwide, if an evil wizard vaporised all their equipment in a flash!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks