Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2016, 07:32   #23431
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Thanks Thad & Ampere. Does the X Play 32GB version support both dual sim & additional memory card? Asking as that’s the current configuration being used and want to continue using the same.
Yes you can use both the dual sim ports and the SD card. All the 3 come in a tray on which you need to mount them. One side of the tray are two sim cards and on the back you have to mount the SD card.

Here is a video for more clarity.

Old 9th May 2016, 15:25   #23432
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Also though I keep all the radios of the phone ON, but am close to a wifi hotspot most of the time during the day. Battery lasts a day. But I take ample precautions to be close to a charger. Apart from social media, I also use to the phone to listen to audio books while on the walk. Hence need that battery level. In the car there is a charger, hence it works out.
I get a day and a half. occasionally even two days, but I am a light user. However, on an apples/apples basis, previous phones with the same usage had to be charged at least every night. Also, although I don't know if it is the battery or the measurement technique to credit, the percentage left seems much more linear (right word?). Rather than 75% lasting most of the day and 25% lasting the next half hour.

I use Greenify, which greatly increases the amount of time that the phone dozes. I also use Amplify, but it is too technical for me to understand how much it helps.

Quote:
Another point to note: Its worth buying the turbo power charger (or QC2.0 compatible chargers). They really help.
Yes, they do. I have one in the house and one in the car. Both are Aukey devices. Both are expensive, and together, add up to a considerable cost that some might say would have been better spent on a better phone --- but I like my gadgets!

Available from Amazon.in. With more patience, and a little more stress about customs and stuff, cheaper at Aliexpress. You can guess which I used! (clue: wantitnow)

Make sure to use compatible cables, or the turbo charge (Look for "Qualcom Fast Charge 2.0") will not happen.

Quote:
Thanks Thad & Ampere. Does the X Play 32GB version support both dual sim & additional memory card? Asking as that’s the current configuration being used and want to continue using the same.
Quote:
Planning to gift the Moto X Play 32GB to my better half.
I misunderstood: I thought you already had one that you were going to give! Now I understand that you are both new to the phone.

My phone is using stock 6.0 rom, but it is unlocked and rooted, I use a different launcher (Nova: I think it is much better) and I play around with both Layers (themeing) and Xposed Framework, so it is quite far from out-of-the-box. I have succeeded in slowing it down very slightly.

What you won't like, as they say in the reviews.... Yes, it gets quite warm in use, when charging, or heavy data usage. Whether this can be called overheating is debatable.

I think that the curve of the body fits well in the hand, and it is fairly comfortable to hold, but it is certainly no small phone. But then, 5.5-inch screen could hardly be fitted on a 5-inch device!

Coming from a 5-incher, by the way (the mi m4i, which felt just perfect in hand or pocket), the extra half inch makes all the difference: my 7-inch tablet is now unused.

I have got used to the size. I keep in a pouch-type case in my kurta pocket, no longer carrying a phone in my breast pocket. Anyway, I don't think that is safe any longer; it hasn't been safe in London for decade or more.
Old 9th May 2016, 15:53   #23433
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Yes you can use both the dual sim ports and the SD card.
Thanks Ampere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Make sure to use compatible cables
Thanks Thad. Ordered the one which comes with a fast charger but dont think it comes with a cable out of the box. Will get one from amazon.
Quote:
Coming from a 5-incher
We have always been using 5.5 inch phones and hence no issues with size
Old 9th May 2016, 16:01   #23434
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes, they do. I have one in the house and one in the car. Both are Aukey devices. Both are expensive, and together, add up to a considerable cost that some might say would have been better spent on a better phone --- but I like my gadgets!
Same here. One for home, one in my bag (and hence for office/travel) and one for car!

Quote:
Make sure to use compatible cables, or the turbo charge (Look for "Qualcom Fast Charge 2.0") will not happen.
+1 to have this one for good. Else it does not work.

Quote:
Thanks Thad. Ordered the one which comes with a fast charger but dont think it comes with a cable out of the box. Will get one from amazon.
We have always been using 5.5 inch phones and hence no issues with size
Aukey ones are quite good. As I said earlier, even I have been using them from the start.

Last edited by ampere : 9th May 2016 at 18:34. Reason: Fixed typo
Old 9th May 2016, 17:16   #23435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Available from Amazon.in. With more patience, and a little more stress about customs and stuff, cheaper at Aliexpress. You can guess which I used! (clue: wantitnow)

Quick Charge 3.0 chargers will work on QC 2.0 mobiles?

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...657282173.html

I have a Moto X Style.
Old 9th May 2016, 18:35   #23436
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Quick Charge 3.0 chargers will work on QC 2.0 mobiles?
Yes. In theory they should be backward compatible.
Old 10th May 2016, 01:11   #23437
BHPian

Hi

Those who bought the Redmi Note 3, how has been your experience? I see a lot of negative reviews on amazon, complaining about heating to defective pieces, so I was wondering if there are a lot of bad pieces in the lot.
Old 10th May 2016, 01:30   #23438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
Hi

Those who bought the Redmi Note 3, how has been your experience? I see a lot of negative reviews on amazon, complaining about heating to defective pieces, so I was wondering if there are a lot of bad pieces in the lot.
Except for the terrible camera, I would recommend it (3 GB RAM) blindly. Battery lasts 3-4 days (1 hour/day calls, 1 hour browsing), wifi off rest of the time, inbuilt power mgmt on aggressive (min background tasks)

Thinking of buying it for my mother in law soon. Yes, I like it that much!
Old 10th May 2016, 06:36   #23439
BHPian

Quote:
Hi

Awesome phone except just OK camera. Been using for two weeks and no complaints so far.
Old 10th May 2016, 10:34   #23440
BHPian

Quote:
Hi

Those who... lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Except for the terrible camera, I would recommend it (3 GB RAM) blindly. Battery lasts 3-4 days (1 hour/day calls, 1 hour browsing), wifi off rest of the time, inbuilt power mgmt on aggressive (min background tasks)
You might want to look at the 2GB version as well. The difference between 2GB and 3GB versions are the ram and storage space. Rest of the specs are same.

My sense is that you can make do with 2GB ram and that extra GB will be in most cases remain unused. And the additional 16Gb can be very well covered with a 32, 64Gb class 10 card costing well within the 2k that you will pay extra.

Otherwise, the phone is pretty good and no complaints whatsoever. Camera is slightly better in developer rom so you can use that as well.

Last edited by lordvader : 10th May 2016 at 10:37.
Old 10th May 2016, 10:57   #23441
BANNED

Quote:
You are correct the charger (Turbo) has a moulded in cable. I have bought a US spec turbo charger as well, and it has a proper USB connector. My wife uses it more than I do since she has wifi on all the time for WhatsCrap.
Old 10th May 2016, 10:58   #23442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
You might want to look at the 2GB version as well. The difference between 2GB and 3GB versions are the ram and storage space. Rest of the specs are same.

My sense is that you can make do with 2GB ram and that extra GB will be in most cases remain unused. And the additional 16Gb can be very well covered with a 32, 64Gb class 10 card costing well within the 2k that you will pay extra.

Otherwise, the phone is pretty good and no complaints whatsoever. Camera is slightly better in developer rom so you can use that as well.
Sirjee, you're completely off the mark. I have only about 30 apps fully configured out of 90 installed. I regularly see ~600-800 MB free (1.8 GB free on boot up).

Plus after long term stability issues with the SD card on the S3, I'm a really happy camper with 32 GB memory.

Far better to buy the best spec upfront because you can't add RAM or ROM later.
Old 10th May 2016, 11:27   #23443
Team-BHP Support

What's the deal with the Xaomi Mi 5 ?

I can't seem to see it on sale anywhere online? Has it sold out, or never truly launched?
Old 10th May 2016, 11:31   #23444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Sirjee, you're completely off the mark. I have only about 30 apps fully configured out of 90 installed. I regularly see ~600-800 MB free (1.8 GB free on boot up).

Plus after long term stability issues with the SD card on the S3, I'm a really happy camper with 32 GB memory.

Far better to buy the best spec upfront because you can't add RAM or ROM later.
Agreed on the storage bit. In principle internal storage is definitely better than SD card especially if one intends to use lot of apps. Moreover with lollipop / marshmallow installing apps on SD card is a no go.

I'm all for future proof device but I'm still not convinced with the idea of 3GB ram helping any more than 2GB.

Last edited by lordvader : 10th May 2016 at 11:43.
Old 10th May 2016, 11:32   #23445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
What's the deal with the Xaomi Mi 5 ?

I can't seem to see it on sale anywhere online? Has it sold out, or never truly launched?
Its launched and only available via mi.com/in website. Its available once a week or so based on stock availability or flash sale. Need to check the website for more details.

Couple of weeks back, I've added it to my cart. I'm not interested but none in my friends circle showed interest and hence did not complete the payment procedure.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 10th May 2016 at 11:33.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks