Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2016, 11:32   #23446
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
- You get a micro USB to type C adapter in the box which means you can use one old charger and cable as a backup.
+
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
I'll be damned. I didn't find any adapter in my box.
I didn't get an adapter either!

Maybe its a new addition.

Having USB-C is one of those things that sounds great in theory (yay...reversible!), but then in reality it hits you that you can't just borrow a common charger anywhere you go (ala micro-usb). At least until it becomes the popular standard.

I've bought 2 of these adapters and used them for charging and data transfer. Work well (despite the poor rating), and decently priced too:

http://www.amazon.in/CNCT-FEMALE-Con...ilpage_o05_s01

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Its launched and only available via mi.com/in website. Its available once a week or so based on stock availability or flash sale.
Ahh thanks. Thought it might be something like that.

Guess they have restraints on production capacity.

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th May 2016 at 11:34.
Old 10th May 2016, 12:46   #23447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
Hi

Those who bought the Redmi Note 3, how has been your experience? I see a lot of negative reviews on amazon, complaining about heating to defective pieces, so I was wondering if there are a lot of bad pieces in the lot.
I got the 2GB version in the very first sale, and have been a happy camper ever since. The camera is average (but slightly better in development ROM), but given the 10K budget, I am happy with the picture quality.

The battery lasts 24 hours on decent usage - 1 hr calls, 4G browsing of about 2 hours, wifi on 24 hrs and wifi browsing for 2-3 hours, listening to music for couple of hours etc, phone doesn't heats up much, don't lag (development ROM is much better than stock ROM though), gets regular useful updates, screen quality is good - in short, I am happy with the phone.

If you can, get the 3GB version - just for 2K extra, you will be getting 1 GB ram and 16 GB ROM. Though I haven't felt the need till now, I not sure what will happen in future, so better be safe than sorry.

--Anoop
Old 10th May 2016, 13:04   #23448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
You might want to look at the 2GB version as well. The difference between 2GB and 3GB versions are the ram and storage space. Rest of the specs are same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Sirjee, you're completely off the mark. I have only about 30 apps fully configured out of 90 installed. I regularly see ~600-800 MB free (1.8 GB free on boot up).

Plus after long term stability issues with the SD card on the S3, I'm a really happy camper with 32 GB memory.
Thanks for the inputs. In my case, I will be using 2 sim cards, so SD card will not be available since it is a hybrid slot in this phone. Although i have managed with 16 GB so far, I had to be careful about how much of music I can store. So, going for 32 GB makes sense. And the additional 1 GB of RAM is good to have. My only worry was that the number of negative reviews on amazon were a bit on higher side with complaints about buttons not working, overheating and poor customer support.

Anyway I am waiting for the new Moto G to be revealed next week before taking any decision. Moto G and Redmi Note 3 are the top contenders right now for me.
Old 10th May 2016, 13:14   #23449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
I'm all for future proof device but I'm still not convinced with the idea of 3GB ram helping any more than 2GB.
https://www.quora.com/Why-is-the-iPh...nswers/7061202
Here you go bro.
Old 10th May 2016, 13:32   #23450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Ok, interesting. And here I was thinking that since kitkat android versions have been optimised to run on less ram devices as well. Plus the shift from dalvik to ART was also supposed to solve some of this.

Nonetheless, I think once multi window feature of android is exploited more then maybe more ram will be useful in running more than one app at once.
Old 10th May 2016, 13:56   #23451
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
+

I've bought 2 of these adapters and used them for charging and data transfer. Work well (despite the poor rating), and decently priced too:

http://www.amazon.in/CNCT-FEMALE-Con...ilpage_o05_s01
Wish I had seen this sooner enough, cos seeing all the negative reviews of cheaper adapters, I ordered the rather expensive OnePlus adapter.

http://www.amazon.in/OnePlus-USB-Typ.../dp/B012D3THUU

Consolation: I can carry it in my key chain.

BTW, I like the Type C port. I don't have to fumble with it trying to find out which way I have to push it in and it does not make that scratching noise when it goes in and out. Hope it soon becomes the standard.
Old 10th May 2016, 16:02   #23452
BHPian

Check this one out, the Lenovo Zuk Z1:

http://www.amazon.in/b/ref=br_imp?_e...f_rd_i=desktop

Specs look great. And they've moved to Cyanogen. Could give the Redmi Note 3 a run for its money.
Old 10th May 2016, 16:09   #23453
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Having USB-C is one of those things that sounds great in theory (yay...reversible!) ...
It deals with a myth, rather than a real problem, arising from the now-age-old USAB-A plug, which, as we all know, requires three attempts to insert it.

I can insert a micro usb plug into its socket, with my eyes shut, in the dark. Actually, it took me an unreasonably long time to realise this, but the two rough, or slightly sharp, bits are on the bottom.

Sure, some of the sockets are the other way up, but these are devices that we connect every day, right? I think we can be expected to know that
Old 10th May 2016, 16:20   #23454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
Check this one out, the Lenovo Zuk Z1:

http://www.amazon.in/b/ref=br_imp?_e...f_rd_i=desktop

Specs look great. And they've moved to Cyanogen. Could give the Redmi Note 3 a run for its money.
Almost. Using the vintage Snapdragon 801 is silly. Takes away the benefit of the Cyanogen. Fantastic VFM otherwise esp given USB-C and 64 GB ROM!

Turns out the Z1 is of Sep 2015 vintage while the Z2 pro is already out internationally. Bad idea by Lenovo treating India like this.

But the joker in the pack is the rear camera with OIS. That could be much better esp compared to the RN3.
Old 10th May 2016, 19:52   #23455
Senior - BHPian

Hello to all geeks here.
Anyone here knows an app which can take pics of Business cards and give output in MS excel ?
Old 10th May 2016, 20:51   #23456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
Looks like old wine in a new bottle. OPO hardware with some extra features like a fingerprint sensor.

It's not terrific VFM.

Didn't cyanogen sign an exclusivity agreement with Micromax(Yu) ? Has the period of the agreement ended?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Hello to all geeks here.
Anyone here knows an app which can take pics of Business cards and give output in MS excel ?
I don't know any app which does exactly what you mentioned. My dad had the feature in his PalmOne Treo.
After moving to Android, he's begun to use office lens and has found it useful.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ice.officelens
Old 10th May 2016, 21:03   #23457
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hello to all geeks here.
The premium version of evernote does it. Its best scanning to documentation I have seen. The scanning app has a business card feature, which scans the card and takes down numbers and contacts (email etc) and creates an entry for your contact list. I dont know whats there on the basic and whats there on the paid version. I use the paid version. Fantastic app to have.
Old 10th May 2016, 22:03   #23458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello to all geeks here.
CamCard, works nicely on both iOS and Android.

It has a share feature where you can export into Excel as well.
Old 11th May 2016, 13:09   #23459
mxx
BHPian

Anyone using Leeco Le 1s? How has been the experience so far?
Old 11th May 2016, 13:12   #23460
BHPian

Quote:
What's the deal with the Xaomi Mi 5 ?

I can't seem to see it on sale anywhere online? Has it sold out, or never truly launched?
I think Mi5 sale is there today at 2pm IST at mi.com/in. Pl check the site.

Most Viewed