Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2016, 13:41   #23461
BHPian

Quick Review: Lenovo Vibe S1

So I did finally pick the Lenovo Vibe S1 for my wife a week go. Chose the blue colour as it appeared more stylish, against the white colour (the only other colour option).

First things first - the fit, finish and design of the phone is truly brilliant. Haven't seen such a beautiful phone south of Rs.20k. The OnePlus X comes a close second.
The Vibe S1 has a glass finished curved rear. Is a finger-print magnet & is slippery - but is wow!

Reasons for buying the Vibe S1 (Positives):
1) Brilliant Design - was for the wife, so style mattered
2) 5 inch screen - making it more handy than the multiple 5.5" options around
3) 32GB ROM and expandable external storage - no need to worry about data limitation
4) Dual front camera - for those necessary selfies. Has nice editing features too
5) Lightweight - At about 130 grams, effortless to carry around
6) Easy availability - No unnecessary hype and false demand creation through flash sales
(The Redmi Note 3 32GB was my first choice, but I had enough of their flash sale model for a phone that wasn't as great as they were making it out to be)

Negatives
1) Notification lights absent
2) Navigation buttons are not backlit

The Vibe S1 has been performing flawlessly thus far, and the wife loves it.

The battery at 2500mAh may seem a bit small. However, it holds just fine, and lasts over a day - my wife is not a heavy user of the phone.
Have observed little heating when the phone is put up for charging. No a real cause for concern though.

Its a highly recommended pick at Rs.12,999/-

Last edited by tibby : 11th May 2016 at 13:42. Reason: Added a Title
Old 11th May 2016, 13:48   #23462
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
I don't know any app which does exactly what you mentioned. My dad had the feature in his PalmOne Treo.
After moving to Android, he's begun to use office lens and has found it useful.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ice.officelens
Good app but doesn't serve my requirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The premium version of evernote does it. Its best scanning to documentation I have seen. The scanning app has a business card feature, which scans the card and takes down numbers and contacts (email etc) and creates an entry for your contact list. I dont know whats there on the basic and whats there on the paid version. I use the paid version. Fantastic app to have.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
CamCard, works nicely on both iOS and Android.

It has a share feature where you can export into Excel as well.

Thanks Hitanshu.
Camcard has done the job.
Old 11th May 2016, 14:01   #23463
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
What's the deal with the Xaomi Mi 5 ?

I can't seem to see it on sale anywhere online? Has it sold out, or never truly launched?
Available only through flash sales through Mi Website.

I bought one some 10 days back, excellent Phone even when compared to phones twice its price. I moved from Samsung Note 4 Dual sim, and this feels like an upgrade.

Network Reception quality is far superior, WiFi reception is better. Battery life is better. Camera is similar. I like Mi interface better than Touchwiz. After using 3 generations of Galaxy Note i wanted a smaller slimmer phone with dual sim, I am liking Mi5 for now.

Only downside is the back with Gorilla Glass backcover is too slippery, have to be cautious all the time.

Also bought a Redmi Note 3 32 Gb for Dad, for the price its a steal. Except for Mediocre camera everything else is top notch.

Well I also have a MiPad, slim 5000mah Powerbank and Redmi 1s, this qualifies me for being a Mi fanboy.

EDIT:Forgot to Mention- Mi5 has focus point linked Centerweighted/Spot metering, really useful in phone camera with limited dynamic range, with matrix metering it really difficult to get the exposure of the subject right. But there is no exposure compensation option.

Last edited by .anshuman : 12th May 2016 at 12:20. Reason: Added a point
Old 11th May 2016, 14:28   #23464
BHPian

Just ordered the Mi Powerbank 20000 mah on Mi.com/in

Need to check when it will be delivered.
Old 11th May 2016, 16:53   #23465
BHPian

Is there any other way to make the camera quality good in Redmi Note 3? If there is no solution for it, I am thinking of ditching it to get a moto g3.
Old 11th May 2016, 17:02   #23466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Is there any other way to make the camera quality good in Redmi Note 3? If there is no solution for it, I am thinking of ditching it to get a moto g3.
Using an alternate camera app like the google camera doesn't help?

In a smartphone, the hardware generally is not at fault, the software is. Or compare with a friend and see if you've got a defective piece to begin with.
Old 11th May 2016, 17:05   #23467
BHPian

Quote:

In a smartphone, the hardware generally is not at fault, the software is. Or compare with a friend and see if you've got a defective piece to begin with.
i just tried google camera app. Looks better. I will check it for outdoor and low light shots and see how it goes. Thanks a lot
Old 11th May 2016, 17:06   #23468
BANNED

Just got the Motorola 15W car Turbo adapter. Excellent build quality. This also has a separate USB cable, only Moto Turbo mains chargers (in India) have integral USB cable. Cheapskates.
Old 12th May 2016, 09:47   #23469
BHPian

Quote:

I tried some shots with Google camera. It's not impressive either. :(
Old 12th May 2016, 10:49   #23470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
I tried some shots with Google camera. It's not impressive either. :(
I tried Open Camera app on my One plus One. Seems better than the stock camera. Just play around with the various modes and settings till you find a sweet spot.

Cheers,
Raj
Old 12th May 2016, 11:16   #23471
BHPian

The thing is with all images shot on redmi note 3, the image is pixelated. My wife's moto e shoots better pictures. I tried searching online for a solution and looks like most of them are facing this issue.

Edit : my wife wants my redmi note 3 Which mobile under ₹10,000 has a good camera? Any reviews for moto g3 camera?

Last edited by sairamboko : 12th May 2016 at 11:32.
Old 12th May 2016, 11:40   #23472
BHPian

I don't understand why every mobile manufacturer is now treating a 5.5" screen as their flagship offering. I have never felt comfortable holding that big a phone & I seriously think a 4.7" or 5.0" inch screen with a thin bezel makes more sense to me. Seriously need to upgrade to a better phone after my current first gen Moto X's screen got totaled after a fall few days ago. Even with a totaled screen, the mobile works flawless!

Looking for such a nice build quality with decent specs (not too outdated or too latest) and more importantly a 5" screen. After searching around for my requirements, I reckon I may settle with a Moto G 3rd Gen with Turbo as the 4th Gen G is rumored to a 5.5 incher.
Old 12th May 2016, 14:25   #23473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw19d View Post
I don't understand why every mobile manufacturer is now treating a 5.5" screen as their flagship offering. I have never felt comfortable holding that big a phone & I seriously think a 4.7" or 5.0" inch screen with a thin bezel makes more sense to me. Seriously need to upgrade to a better phone after my current first gen Moto X's screen got totaled after a fall few days ago. Even with a totaled screen, the mobile works flawless!
A couple of years ago I thought that 5" is the max somebody can hold in their hands and sizes are not going to grow any larger. I was wrong. When I bought the Oneplus One, I felt uncomfortable handling it and carrying in the pocket. But I got used to it. I wouldn't be surprised if the day comes when 6 inches becomes the norm and I have one in my pocket.
Old 12th May 2016, 14:28   #23474
BHPian

Xiaomi has launched a 6.44 inches screen phone on May 10th - Mi Max! We are pondering on 5 & 5.5 and Xiaomi has gone to 6.44!
Old 12th May 2016, 14:32   #23475
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
A couple of years ago I thought that 5" is the max somebody can hold in their hands and sizes are not going to grow any larger. I was wrong. When I bought the Oneplus One, I felt uncomfortable handling it and carrying in the pocket. But I got used to it. I wouldn't be surprised if the day comes when 6 inches becomes the norm and I have one in my pocket.
I have been using the Xperia t2 Ultra for close to the past two years. This was/is probably the biggest phone ever. And you do get used to it eventually. The only issues are the camera, and updates, since its a cheaper xperia.
And two days charge to charge.

Most Viewed