Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2016, 22:52   #23536
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
My search for a decent phone around 15K continues.
I had high hopes from Moto G4. But, they disappointed me big time by having no 5" variant. I have been using the original Moto X and I simply love it's form factor. I can't handle these 5.5" monsters. When the whole world is having both 5" and 5.5" variants, why can't Moto? I heard that even the Moto X 2016 will have only 5.5" variants.
Now, my hopes are on the Oneplus 3 and the upcoming Nexus devices.
My requirements are - decent camera, good battery life, fingerprint sensor, screen 5"
So far I have shortlisted the Nexus 5X, Galaxy A5 2016 but both are above 20K and does not seem good value for money with only 2 GB RAM) .MI5 is also there but it is 25K.
The Moto Z (Style and Play) are very highly likely to be >=5.5", and the OnePlus 3 - as seen from actual device images - is also a big device, most likely 5.5". Under 15k, the only good option you have is the OnePlus X, that skips Fingerprint hardware and fast charging and has a 32 bit SoC, and the camera is just meh as well.
The 5X is a great option if you don't mind the price. But then at that kind of money, the Mi5 has a generation better hardware. If you don't mind MIUI, that is.
The next Nexii are gonna be from HTC, which might translate to P-R-I-C-E-Y, here in India at least. I mean, they almost certainly wouldn't be cheap per se if they have the typical HTC traits. HTC are in a lot of trouble, and won't mis this excellent opportunity to milk an extremely loyal base of fanboys who usually look for performance and quality over affordability.

Last edited by mukul32 : 20th May 2016 at 22:54.
Old 20th May 2016, 23:42   #23537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
i think our friend sairamboko didn't do the camera any justice.
Just posting a few captures from my Redmi 1s, may be anyone can compare.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-asd.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20141227_120936.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20141116_100917.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20141119_114642_1416456558222.jpg

The first two are cropped images from the actual size.
Old 20th May 2016, 23:55   #23538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
The Moto Z (Style and Play) are very highly likely to be >=5.5", and the OnePlus 3 - as seen from actual device images - is also a big device, most likely 5.5". Under 15k, the only good option you have is the OnePlus X, that skips Fingerprint hardware and fast charging and has a 32 bit SoC, and the camera is just meh as well.
The 5X is a great option if you don't mind the price. But then at that kind of money, the Mi5 has a generation better hardware. If you don't mind MIUI, that is.
The next Nexii are gonna be from HTC, which might translate to P-R-I-C-E-Y, here in India at least. I mean, they almost certainly wouldn't be cheap per se if they have the typical HTC traits. HTC are in a lot of trouble, and won't mis this excellent opportunity to milk an extremely loyal base of fanboys who usually look for performance and quality over affordability.
You are right. I don't have hopes on the Moto X or Z. Motorola has clearly gone down the path of giant phones and I don't see that changing soon.

As per some rumors and GSMArena expected specs, The oneplus 3 is supposedly having 5" screen. I guess we will know in a month. My colleague has the oneplus X and I don't want to buy something now with 3 year old chipset, no fingerprint scanner. Camera is also just okay.

My budget is strictly not 15K. I can go upto 20 or so.. Nexus 5X I am hearing issues about battery life. Mi5 is a good one but then you have to wait for the flash sale. How good is the MI5 camera compared to the Nexus 5X or Galaxy S6? It seems from various reviews that Nexus has finally nailed the camera and it is right up there with the Iphone 6S and S6. S7 is probably better.

The next Nexus set of phones will be relatively costly. But I am hoping the lower end one to be something around 25K. Let's see! Else might buy the Nexus 5X/Galaxy S6/Mi5
Old 21st May 2016, 11:22   #23539
BANNED

Anyone using Moto X2? How is it running on Marshmallow?

Will it charge faster with a Motorola fast charger?

I'm considering this because I' have been hunting for a good <5 inch phone within 15K. This one marginally exceeds that size, but I have shortlisted this because of the famed Moto touchless controls, I think it has a few extra IR sensors also to aid those.

If it performs lag free and fluid, is it a good purchase for 15k?

One plus x and Mi4 could be better than this, but heart says Moto X2.
Old 21st May 2016, 11:43   #23540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
I'm considering this because I' have been hunting for a good <5 inch phone within 15K. This one marginally exceeds that size, but I have shortlisted this because of the famed Moto touchless controls, I think it has a few extra IR sensors also to aid those.

If it performs lag free and fluid, is it a good purchase for 15k?

One plus x and Mi4 could be better than this, but heart says Moto X2.

If you can get by with the 16GB of space, then it is certainly a good buy. Performance is decent, and the camera, after some updates is not bad either.

Do note that it only has a 2300mAh battery, so don't expect stellar battery life.
Old 21st May 2016, 12:00   #23541
BANNED

Thanks SpeedDemon!

I'm ok with the 16gb. But battery life is a bit of a concern, even though my usage is light/ moderate.

I'll wait for a few more days and decide.
Old 22nd May 2016, 18:17   #23542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
Anyone using Moto X2? How is it running on Marshmallow?
Unless you do heavy gaming, the de facto choice in the sub 15k segment is the Moto G or Moto G turbo. It's an excellent phone, seriously consider it.
Moto G might have 2470 mAh battery, but it's battery life is stellar.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 22nd May 2016 at 18:19.
Old 22nd May 2016, 22:58   #23543
BHPian

I am planning to by a new mobile and have shortlisted Moto G4 (3GB/32GB) model and the Lenovo ZUK Z1.
Went through a lot of reviews on YouTube. Both seems to be competent products. One negative against Moto G4 is the lack of magnetic sensor. How this will impact use of G-Maps?
Old 23rd May 2016, 00:24   #23544
BHPian

Here are some sample photos I clicked using the new moto g4 plus. No filters used. All were clicked in auto mode and the honeybee pics using zoom. The camera is simply brilliant.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1463943115253.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1463943150889.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1463943169859.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1463943212609.jpg  

Old 23rd May 2016, 03:09   #23545
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Here are some sample photos I clicked using the new moto g4 plus.
Those are fantastic! Nothing mobile-like them at all.

You must have a steady hand though. It is the lack of optical stabilisation in phone cameras that gets to me. I just can't hold the thing still enough. Waiting... for that to become affordable.
Old 23rd May 2016, 07:47   #23546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Those are fantastic! Nothing mobile-like them at all.

You must have a steady hand though. It is the lack of optical stabilisation in phone cameras that gets to me. I just can't hold the thing still enough. Waiting... for that to become affordable.
Thanks Thad e I don't have a steady hand but the camera focus is awesome. The honeybee pics turned out to be wonderful and the auto focus of the camera is too good and all credit to Motorola for finally offering us a better camera.
Old 23rd May 2016, 08:51   #23547
BHPian

Anyone here using the MOTO X Force? I'm tempted to sell my Samsung Galaxy S7 and buy that instead. Merely because the S7 is a bit delicate and the moto x promises to be a bit more sturdy. I've come to the conclusion that I don't like phones larger than 5.2 inches.
Old 23rd May 2016, 09:15   #23548
Distinguished - BHPian

Read an article about the LG G5 being launched in India @ Rs.53k.. they are being way too ambitious now, for less than that price the Sony Z Premium with 4K screen and 24mp camera is available, way above G5's league. Sony has much more snob appeal as well.

Motorola seems to be the BHPians all-time favourite, followed closely by the Chinese brands like Xiaomi and others. I cannot help but look at how products are bought based on the brand and it seems that there is literally NO in-betweens when it comes to phones, the Androids sell at the Rs.5-25k figure whereas the IOS models sell at the Rs.45-60k+ mark. The slot between the 2 extremes i.e the Rs.25k-45k belong to the least sold phones which may include some flagships of LG (5%) Sony (5%) and Samsung (90%).

It always surprised me why Sony doesn't sell, it simply doesn't even if they throw everything in it - waterproofing, NFC, HD sound, fingerprint reader, dual-sim, expandable memory, class-leading camera sensor, premium design and build, the most sophisticated Android interface I've seen and of course the heritage of the brand itself. It seems like Samsung and Apple sell whatever they manage to make. Goes to show that perception of brand is much more valuable than outright quality itself. This is coming from a Z5 owner and all of my colleagues have admitted that it demolishes their iPhone 6's and Galaxy S6's in every way possible.
Old 23rd May 2016, 10:08   #23549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
Anyone here using the MOTO X Force? I'm tempted to sell my Samsung Galaxy S7 and buy that instead. Merely because the S7 is a bit delicate and the moto x promises to be a bit more sturdy. I've come to the conclusion that I don't like phones larger than 5.2 inches.
Been using one for a month or so now. Previous phones were HTC One M7, LG G3 and LG G4.

The only thing i miss from my LG days are the spare batteries. But with the X Force i have turbo charging which is a beast and of course the 3700mah battery also helps

For the reduced price it's a great device. Not sure how you will feel coming from S7 to this but for me it was an upgrade.

If you think the S7 is delicate why don't you get a tough case?

Also the X force is 5.4"
Old 23rd May 2016, 12:52   #23550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Been using one for a month or so now. Previous phones were HTC One M7, LG G3 and LG G4.

The only thing i miss from my LG days are the spare batteries. But with the X Force i have turbo charging which is a beast and of course the 3700mah battery also helps

For the reduced price it's a great device. Not sure how you will feel coming from S7 to this but for me it was an upgrade.

If you think the S7 is delicate why don't you get a tough case?

Also the X force is 5.4"
Yup. On second thought, I think I'll use the S7 for a while before switching. The only reason I was keen on the x force was that recently I've taken up working out and cycling in a big way and the other day, my phone fell out of my pocket and my heart was in my mouth. Luckily the case protected it from any damage but I don't want to push my luck.

Been using my moto g 2nd Gen for the last week as I thought the s7 battery life was sub par and phone was getting extremely hot (47 degrees). The service center disagrees and says it's normal so I have to continue down the garden path with the S7.

The MOTO G was such a refreshing change. No heating whatsoever and the battery on the thing just goes the whole day. If only it was slightly snappier.

Most Viewed