Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2016, 13:06   #23551
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post

It always surprised me why Sony doesn't sell, It seems like Samsung and Apple sell whatever they manage to make. Goes to show that perception of brand is much more valuable than outright quality itself. This is coming from a Z5 owner and all of my colleagues have admitted that it demolishes their iPhone 6's and Galaxy S6's in every way possible.
You are right. But eversince Sony concentrated on smartphones its sale has increased. I switched from Nokia to Sony and did not look back and used K700i, p1i, xperia pro (slider querty keypad), zr. But i could not understand their wierd logic of giving document editor in qwerty keypad phones of entry or mid level phones like xperia pro but only reader in expensive phones.
However for the sake of stylus I switched to Note 4 one year back. If z5 supports stylus i may again switch because i miss waterproofness.
Old 23rd May 2016, 14:01   #23552
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
Yup. On second thought, I think I'll use the S7 for a while before switching. The only reason I was keen on the x force was that recently I've taken up working out and cycling in a big way and the other day, my phone fell out of my pocket and my heart was in my mouth. Luckily the case protected it from any damage but I don't want to push my luck.

Been using my moto g 2nd Gen for the last week as I thought the s7 battery life was sub par and phone was getting extremely hot (47 degrees). The service center disagrees and says it's normal so I have to continue down the garden path with the S7.

The MOTO G was such a refreshing change. No heating whatsoever and the battery on the thing just goes the whole day. If only it was slightly snappier.
The x force may have a shatterproof display but the phone itself is prone to bumps and bruises if it falls down.

the s810 processor does get hot at times but only during turbocharging and high bandwidth usage like watching youtube videos for a long time. Regular usage temp remains around 30deg which is

It's a great phone for the price and am happy Used to be Motorola distributor years ago [days of Razr] and happy to be with a Moto after all these years.
Old 23rd May 2016, 16:21   #23553
BHPian

Asus soon to launch Zenfone 3 series. Looking forward to that. Heard it will come in screen sizes from 5". Might be worth the wait. ZenUI is great. And if the camera is anything like that on Zenfone 2, its going to be pretty awesome.

Last edited by GeneralJazz : 23rd May 2016 at 16:22. Reason: Grammatical mistake
Old 23rd May 2016, 22:21   #23554
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
You are right. But eversince Sony concentrated on smartphones its sale has increased. I switched from Nokia to Sony and did not look back and used K700i, p1i, xperia pro (slider querty keypad), zr. But i could not understand their wierd logic of giving document editor in qwerty keypad phones of entry or mid level phones like xperia pro but only reader in expensive phones.
Ah, the memories.. I had the K750i shortly after the Nokia 2100 (I think), then moved up to the Nokia N73 and then the Xperia Pro. While the N73 remains the phone I am most fond of, the Xperia Pro satisfied all the requirements as I had just started working. Emails, document editing as you said, SMS, etc were done in a flash and it was almost as efficient as a laptop without the hassles and lasted me a whole 3.5 years.

Time sure has gone by fast as I realize how quickly the phones have evolved. I still am holding on to the past in some ways.. the day I got my N73 I still remember it vividly now, it was such an intuitive phone and did its job well, whether it was SMS or calling or photos. Today the app-based style of software has become so much more complex and well, cumbersome. There is something always special about a tiny, buttoned phone to my eyes even today. With Nokia gone and buried, only Sony remains as the brand that I trust.
Old 23rd May 2016, 23:55   #23555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
One negative against Moto G4 is the lack of magnetic sensor. How this will impact use of G-Maps?
The digital compass that's usually based on a sensor called magnetometer provides mobile phones with a simple orientation in relation to the Earth's magnetic field. As a result, your phone always knows which way is North so it can auto rotate your digital maps depending on your physical orientation. If the phone doesn't have the magnetic sensor, then this rotation won't happen in offline mode. However if you have mobile data switched on then the rotation will take place. In short you will need to keep the mobile data always on of you need the right orientation at all times.

Just FYI, I was about to buy this phone and decided to back out because of this issue.
Old 24th May 2016, 08:13   #23556
BHPian

Motorola surprised me yesterday when i saw a security update for my Motox 1st Gen. The update says "Its includes android security patches until April 2016". The update size was around 13 MB.
After the update the handset was a bit sluggish but after rebooting , everything was back to normal.
Old 24th May 2016, 12:21   #23557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Chaand View Post
However if you have mobile data switched on then the rotation will take place. In short you will need to keep the mobile data always on of you need the right orientation at all times.

Just FYI, I was about to buy this phone and decided to back out because of this issue.
How does this work? Even if mobile data is switched on, how does it know the direction I am facing without a magnetometer?

I also backed out of buying the Moto G4+ because of this and I am going to wait for other launches. If the Moto Z Play (or whatever they call it)is not too expensive, I will consider it, otherwise just settle for Moto G4+ or Redmi Note 3.
Old 24th May 2016, 14:34   #23558
BHPian

Has anyone on this thread purchased Lenovo ZUK Z1? If yes please share user experience.
Old 24th May 2016, 15:01   #23559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi Yadav View Post
Motorola surprised me yesterday when i saw a security update for my Motox 1st Gen.
Trust Motorola to over engineer this. The Moto E 1st Gen still receives updates in spite of being out of support.
Old 24th May 2016, 15:20   #23560
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
Asus soon to launch Zenfone 3 series. Looking forward to that. Heard it will come in screen sizes from 5". Might be worth the wait. ZenUI is great. And if the camera is anything like that on Zenfone 2, its going to be pretty awesome.
Any source which can confirm the 5 inch screen? I am in lookout for a midranger with 3Gig ram and 5 inch screen.
Old 25th May 2016, 09:03   #23561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Any source which can confirm the 5 inch screen? I am in lookout for a midranger with 3Gig ram and 5 inch screen.
Checkout this link.

It says Zenfone 3 will have around 4-5 models starting from 4.5". Launch on 30th this month.

Unfortunately Zenfone 3 has had a break up with Intel. So you can expect SD or MT from the new series.
Old 25th May 2016, 12:33   #23562
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
I am planning to by a new mobile and have shortlisted Moto G4 (3GB/32GB) model and the Lenovo ZUK Z1.
Went through a lot of reviews on YouTube. Both seems to be competent products. One negative against Moto G4 is the lack of magnetic sensor. How this will impact use of G-Maps?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
How does this work? Even if mobile data is switched on, how does it know the direction I am facing without a magnetometer?

I also backed out of buying the Moto G4+ because of this and I am going to wait for other launches. If the Moto Z Play (or whatever they call it)is not too expensive, I will consider it, otherwise just settle for Moto G4+ or Redmi Note 3.
I had a lumia 525 which had gps but no digital compass. let me tell you my experience about using navigation on such devices (lumia had here maps instead of google maps). the biggest problem is that the gps does not have your orientation unless you are moving.
eg: consider few different cases
1. you have navigation switched on and you are moving. the gps software has your heading based on your movement and when you approach a intersection or it will tell you where to turn
2. you are at an intersection, you dont know where to go, and you turn on navigation. At this point the gps software does not know your heading. So, if you are too close to the intersection, the navigation might tell you to take the wrong turn because it does not know where you are approaching the intersection from
3. case 1 mentioned above is the best case scenario. However, it has happened that the navigation suddenly tells you to take the wrong turn even when you are moving - but at very low speeds when you are near a turn, then when you take a turn it tells you to take a u turn and head in the opposite direction.
I had few such issues while I was using the device.
In short, if you use gps for navigation, do not buy a device without digital compass.

@JonSnow: why dont you consider Zuk Z1 too, if camera is a priority? it is made by lenovo, same as moto. It runs on cyanogen, so the os will be light and you will recieve patches and updates like moto (although may not be released as quickly as moto). And as a bonus it has a massive 4100mAh battery.
Redmi note 3 is also a very good device. Only difference is zuk z1 supposedly has better camera compared to redmi.
Old 25th May 2016, 12:48   #23563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post

@JonSnow: why dont you consider Zuk Z1 too, if camera is a priority? it is made by lenovo, same as moto. It runs on cyanogen, so the os will be light and you will recieve patches and updates like moto (although may not be released as quickly as moto). And as a bonus it has a massive 4100mAh battery.
Redmi note 3 is also a very good device. Only difference is zuk z1 supposedly has better camera compared to redmi.
Yes I am looking at Zuk Z1 also. Only thing is that I'm not sure how good they are with updates. Hardware wise it looks very good.
Old 25th May 2016, 17:03   #23564
Distinguished - BHPian

Sometimes, just having a compass is more than enough. If I know which way to go --- I know which way to go!

On one occasion, this sense of direction loss happened to me in the middle of the huge IIT Madras campus. The phone's compass gave me an instant answer which way to go, much more easily than map navigation would have.
Old 26th May 2016, 09:10   #23565
BHPian

Anyone having information on the Moto Razr relaunch further to that video?

V3i was a prized possession back in college. Had waited for long to get one ( V3 to V3i, 39,990 to 14,990)
I remember watching a movie called mere yaar ki shadi just to catch a glimpse of uday chopra using that phone ( wasn't launched in India then). Never got excited for a phone ever since.

Hoping its launched and is as beautiful as v3. Features wishlist: a hotspot and capability to sync google contacts is all I want to dump my 6s. Else will keep the iphone as backup to it

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks