Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2016, 23:16   #23926
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
^^
Dear kpzen,
Does the ---snip----or flipkart.
Isn't whatsapp finishing up with Blackberry, and Symbian?
Old 4th July 2016, 23:20   #23927
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikatmandal04 View Post
I haven't used them but some feedback is available here. You may want to check before taking the plunge. Also the prices in this site is cheaper to what you have mentioned but the package takes a minimum of 3-4 weeks to arrive.
I had known that aliexpress is cheaper, but it is a lot sheaper. Thanks
Old 4th July 2016, 23:36   #23928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^
Dear kpzen,
Does the user need all functions of a smartphone like sync for mail & contacts, some particular apps like ola/uber, facebook etc ?

If yes, there are Blackberry options- Q10 (16k) and Passport(27k). I've personally heard good reviews for the passport, but don't know anyone using the Q10.

If no, there are some basic Nokia models with Qwerty keypad and have WhatsApp. You'll have to search in brick and mortar stores for these as they're not available for flipkart.
Thanks LC for the reply.

Currently he's using Q5. Apps in use is mostly whatsapp and ola only. No FB and all.

Will check the passport. Need to check that unconventional shape.
Old 5th July 2016, 00:28   #23929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Thanks LC for the reply.

Currently he's using Q5. Apps in use is mostly whatsapp and ola only. No FB and all.

You might want to reconsider the Passport. Whatsapp has decided to stop BB10 support. So might not be a good replacement. Consider the Priv if a keyboard is a must. The other Android phones with qwerty keyboards are duds and you might not like them.

http://www.phonerated.com/android_ph...oard-listbycat
Old 5th July 2016, 10:08   #23930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Thanks LC for the reply.

The Priv is insanely overpriced. If you have relatives or friends coming from the US, you can ask try for HTC ChaCha or Samsung Galaxy chat on Amazon.com or ebay.com

If not, you can see the used phone market for these phones. I found a listing in ebay.in

http://www.ebay.in/itm/HTC-Status-Ch...EAAOSwGYVXDEWh

I was in the same situation a couple of months back, where my 65+ father in law wanted a phone with keypad and whatsapp.

I researched a lot and found that WhatsApp would no longer support anything except Android, iOS and Windows after 2016.

He ended up learning how to use a touchscreen phone and now he is fairly comfortable.
Old 5th July 2016, 10:52   #23931
BHPian

My mom in her mid 70's has learnt how to even search for her favorite so gs on YouTube, I suspect one of my kids may have taught her, and at one time I was struggling to even make use the feature phone

I read about the shakey hands but he may figure a way out

Just give it a shot
Old 5th July 2016, 10:59   #23932
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
Consider the Priv if a keyboard is a must. The other Android phones with qwerty keyboards are duds and you might not like them.
Crazy pricing. Beyond budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
I was in the same situation a couple of months back, where my 65+ father in law wanted a phone with keypad and whatsapp.

I researched a lot and found that WhatsApp would no longer support anything except Android, iOS and Windows after 2016.

He ended up learning how to use a touchscreen phone and now he is fairly comfortable.
HTC Chacha has a horrible battery backup. I use it as a backup phone.

Btw, the user is currently using Q5 and whatsapp regularly.
Shaky hands causes lot of errors while typing using the touchscreen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
My mom in her mid 70's has learnt how to even search for her favorite so gs on YouTube, I suspect one of my kids may have taught her, and at one time I was struggling to even make use the feature phone

I read about the shakey hands but he may figure a way out

Just give it a shot
Guess, touchscreen is the only way out.
Old 5th July 2016, 11:01   #23933
BHPian

Since last couple of days, my OPO is having some issues with Google Maps navigation. It keep showing 'searching for gps' message on the screen with occasional 'gps signal lost' audio message. If i come out of navigation screen back to google maps screen, i can clearly see 'blue arrow' which indicates that GPS is working fine. I have also tested GPS status using an app and everything seemed to be fine there. It looks like, GPS is not getting locked? I searching the web for solution, but of no use. Need experts suggestion for this problem.
Old 5th July 2016, 15:39   #23934
BANNED

Wouldn't Google handwriting recognition work for people with shaking hands?
Old 5th July 2016, 22:38   #23935
BHPian

Guys looking for an upgrade from my Samsung Galaxy S4 which I purchased last year. I am a fan of lateral upgrades as in buying an older model but new phone whose prices have dropped.

S4 apart from the good camera was quite a disaster . Heated up like an iron box , average battery life horrible software and my stock trading app simply wouldn't work on this phone.

Looking at only branded phones in the price range of 25000 maximum.

Thought about giving iPhone a try but 64 GB variants cost a minimum of 48-50k which I feel is too much money for a mobile.
Old 5th July 2016, 22:49   #23936
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
Guys looking for an upgrade from my Samsung Galaxy S4 which I purchased last year. I am a fan of lateral upgrades as in buying an older model but new phone whose prices have dropped.

S4 apart from the good camera was quite a disaster . Heated up like an iron box , average battery life horrible software and my stock trading app simply wouldn't work on this phone.

Looking at only branded phones in the price range of 25000 maximum.

Thought about giving iPhone a try but 64 GB variants cost a minimum of 48-50k which I feel is too much money for a mobile.
You may try the Moto X Play if you want. It has excellent battery backup and a big and vibrant for an IPS display screen. Also the stock android means lag free experience. Alternately you may increase the budget and buy the powerhouse OP3 too. A third option would be to get the Moto G4 And if 5in screen is a mandatory condition do try the OPX or Moto G3 or Moto G Turbo. After using the Moto G3 with stock android I've become a total fan of stock android. Wonderful to use in reality.

Regards,
Subhra

Last edited by tacho9000 : 5th July 2016 at 22:50.
Old 5th July 2016, 22:59   #23937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacho9000 View Post
You may try the Moto X Play if you want. It has excellent battery backup and a big and vibrant for an IPS display screen. Also the stock android means lag free experience. Alternately you may increase the budget and buy the powerhouse OP3 too. A third option would be to get the Moto G4 And if 5in screen is a mandatory condition do try the OPX or Moto G3 or Moto G Turbo. After using the Moto G3 with stock android I've become a total fan of stock android. Wonderful to use in reality.

Regards,
Subhra
Thanks. I am a big fan of stock android as well. I have a Moto E 1st gen which frankly performs basic tasks better than my S4 .

Moto X Play / Moto G4 Plus do come out as top choices .

How is the Moto Turbo ( Not the Moto G Turbo) and Moto X Force? Especially the camera part?

Thought of upgrading to a Galaxy S5 which is being sold for 17000, but the horrendous software scares me . Also it doesn't have 4G - a prerequisite as I am getting used to seamless Reliance Jio 4G everywhere.

The sad thing is HTC and Sony don't have any worthy phones in this price range. The Samsung's mid end phones taunt you for buying a cheap phone every time u use it by the lack of any sensors.

Nexus 6P which was available for 30K is off the shelves as well
Old 5th July 2016, 23:47   #23938
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
I am a fan of lateral upgrades as in buying an older model but new phone whose prices have dropped.
I'm not sure you should do that as support for phones stops after about 18 months.

Regarding your requirement, I think Moto G4 will do just fine. Has a nice 5.5" screen and most features you can ask for. Just buy the version with 32GB internal storage and 3GB of RAM. I have stopped asking people to buy the Nexus 5X as this phone offers good value.

The moto G4 doesn't have waterproofing though, the old G3 & G Turbo has it.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 5th July 2016 at 23:49.
Old 6th July 2016, 02:52   #23939
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm not sure you should do that as support for phones stops after about 18 months.
New phone every 18 months? Not money that I am going to spend, even if I had it (as long as I keep out of floods, of course).

How define support? It will go on working, right? And although updates occasionally come with fixes we actually care about, or facilities we actually want, it is really not necessary to be up to the very day with the latest release of all and everything.

(and, hey, apparently the vast majority of Android users are still on 5.something)

Phones are getting cheaper --- but they are not so cheap that they have become throw-away consumables yet, even thought the makers want us to think that way.
Old 6th July 2016, 05:15   #23940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

How define support?
Valid point you have there sir.

But important security patches aren't really updated on older phones. You can easily use any decent phone for 30 months, after which it'll slow down based on the usage. Phone companies follow the US phone buying model. Buy, use for two years and change. In their case, they return the phones, we can't.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks