Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2016, 09:57   #24076
mxh
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
That is most definitely not the case. I used one for a fortnight before giving it to MIL. It is really fluid and is the best buy in the market for a non gaming user.
Thanks. I asked because these Chinese phones like Xiaomi and Le eco in their pursuit for battery life indiscrimately block background apps and processes, something which is being faced even my models like Redmi note 3 with 3 GB of RAM. On my redmi 2 no matter what settings I change, the background notification problem persists. The issue is definitely software since I tried flashing AOSP (stock android) based ROMs on my Redmi 2 and never faced that notification problem. However I can't use those custom ROMs because for some reason the phone charges too slow on custom ROMs. I never faced this on my Nexus 4 since google doesn't stop background processes.
Old 27th July 2016, 20:12   #24077
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a Sony Xperia-S LT26i. The phone specs state EDGE / HSPA. Hence I should be able to get 3G signals. However, I have never seen the phone connected at 3G. It always shows E.

I have tried re-install of config settings. but no avail.
Phone is already set for WCDMA / GSM (Auto)

What could be the problem ?

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-13839772_10210011951918360_2088356666_o.jpg
Old 27th July 2016, 21:55   #24078
BHPian

Check if you have set the sim you want to use for data as assigned for data in sim card settings
Old 27th July 2016, 22:36   #24079
Senior - BHPian

I have an Airtel Sim as well and have this problem with Nexus 5. I get 3G (H) outside my apartment. But it decrease and eventually 'E' takes over once I am inside. No amount of switching over to LTE/3G etc changes it back. Nor does putting in Airplane mode or choosing operators multiple times.

The moment I come out, the signals start appearing again.

I live on the first floor. Airtel promises 4G in the Himalayas, maybe they should tackle the tough terrains of Chennai first
Old 27th July 2016, 23:07   #24080
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
I live on the first floor. Airtel promises 4G in the Himalayas, maybe they should tackle the tough terrains of Chennai first
Ha Ha yes indeed! When their 4G was new, and perhaps there were fewer buildings around mine I got reasonable service. I could even tether the PC effectively (compared to 8Mb landline broadband), But not any longer.

They have this fancy web page promising us that their coverage is open, and if anyone is not getting a good signal where they should be, there's a phone number to call. Hmmm... why am I not enthusiastic about telephoning Airtel.
Old 27th July 2016, 23:14   #24081
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Check if you have set the sim you want to use for data as assigned for data in sim card settings
This phone is a single sim
Old 27th July 2016, 23:20   #24082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
They have this fancy web page promising us that their coverage is open, and if anyone is not getting a good signal where they should be, there's a phone number to call. Hmmm... why am I not enthusiastic about telephoning Airtel.
Considering that they can effectively track us anywhere we go, it should be simple for them to check why I am using Edge service while paying for 3G, no?

I think this 'Open Network' thing is a sham. Like you said, they probably know people don't want to talk to them. Might as well have a few lines open in that case and claim being 'Open'

I thought I could manage with having 3G for the couple of weekends at home since I have moved to Bangalore now. If this situation persist, I might have to get ACT soon.

I will try calling them the next time I am at Chennai. The last weekend was a lesson in patience I am not willing to undergo anytime soon
Old 28th July 2016, 00:04   #24083
BHPian

I'm getting close to zero coverage in most parts of mumbai past about 10 days. Even if it shows network, calls are not getting connected, nobody on both sides can hear each other. No point in calling. I have had to resort to using Voda on another phone for functional phoning. Not acceptable Airtel.

Last edited by pixantz : 28th July 2016 at 00:06.
Old 28th July 2016, 00:16   #24084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm getting close to zero coverage in most parts of mumbai past about 10 days. Even if it shows network, calls are not getting connected, nobody on both sides can hear each other. No point in calling. I have had to resort to using Voda on another phone for functional phoning. Not acceptable Airtel.
I guess this is not isolated to Mumbai then. I live in Udupi, Karnataka and we are facing similar connectivity issues with airtel for the past few days. Today the news is that it will be 2 months before they can fix the problem.
Old 28th July 2016, 01:52   #24085
Distinguished - BHPian

I have recent problems with Aircel, which I use for calling/SMS, too. My phone, even if showing a good signal in parts of the house, is reported to others as not existing. In other parts of the house it is fine.

Is it possible that Airtel/Aircel are sharing/buying/otherwise-using the same local masts?
Old 28th July 2016, 02:08   #24086
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Today the news is that it will be 2 months before they can fix the problem.
What! Are you serious? Where was this reported? Any links? This is shady man! There are going to be numerous portings for sure. Im considering it already.

I get good reception and service all across the country with roaming etc with Airtel and good data cashback on nightdata. That has strongly kept me rooted so far. Basically I get great service almost everywhere. Except my house :banghead:
Old 28th July 2016, 02:36   #24087
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... Basically I get great service almost everywhere. Except my house
That seems common. The only way out of this may be to foil their evil plans by everybody swapping houses!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 28th July 2016 at 02:37.
Old 28th July 2016, 09:27   #24088
BHPian

Any adverse reviews on the Xiaomi Mi5 from owners here (or know someone who owns one)?

The reviews are on the internet are in the extreme: either very good or very bad.

I looked up the phone numbers of each of the service centres for Xiaomi in Bangalore. Looks like they're all "TVS Electronics" and not one answered the call. The only one which did - the Koramangala centre - placed the receiver on the desk and didn't answer. I could hear background conversations.
Old 28th July 2016, 10:16   #24089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
Any adverse reviews on the Xiaomi Mi5 from owners here (or know someone who owns one)?

The reviews are on the internet are in the extreme: either very good or very bad.

I looked up the phone numbers of each of the service centres for Xiaomi in Bangalore. Looks like they're all "TVS Electronics" and not one answered the call. The only one which did - the Koramangala centre - placed the receiver on the desk and didn't answer. I could hear background conversations.
I'm using one..
Camera is good but don't compare to iPhones in low light conditions. I lose about 75% battery from 0700 to 2300 hours everyday with 3G/wifi ON. 2mail accounts synched, GPS ON, castle clash every now and then. That's about 5 hours of screen time. Call quality is good with Airtel on decent reception areas.
Old 28th July 2016, 10:54   #24090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post

Even personal reviews are extreme. I think it's down to the software and usage patterns.

MIUI is loved by some people and hated by some(including me.) It's an android skin which is an iOS wannabe. Experience it yourself and decide whether you like it or not.

The common complaint I've heard is that battery drains quickly when the phone is using 4G data connection. Users who heavily depend on Wi-fi don't face any issue with the battery life.

As chikku says, the camera is good, but don't get excited and expect too much after seeing the spec sheet.

Quote:
I looked up the phone numbers of each of the service centres for Xiaomi in Bangalore.
I know a friend (he broke his MI3's screen) who was pretty satisfied with the service at the Koramangala service center.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 28th July 2016 at 10:58.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks