Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2016, 19:02   #24106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_enthusiast View Post
Hi all,

I'm on the lookout for a budget android phone for my driver. GPS will be used all the time with occasional calls in between. The basic requirements are

1) should be sturdy and durable.

2) should have dual sim.

3) minimum screen size should be 4.5"

Please help me with the cheap & best available options.

Go for Asus Zenphone 2. It can be had for less than 10k on Flipkart. Plus you will get Corning gorilla glass 4 protection which might safeguard your phone if it slip out from car mount. Or, unless you are brand conscious, feature-packed Lava V2 which has similar cgg4 along with marshmallow and 3gb ram and all bells and whistles.
Old 28th July 2016, 19:23   #24107
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
@Anoop - thats true but thats more related to MIUI and not related to Android. Still majority of the MI devices are in lollipop.
My bad - yes, you are correct. I somehow read it as who provides monthly updates, and missed the Android part

--Anoop
Old 28th July 2016, 19:39   #24108
BHPian

Quote:
@Anoop - thats true but thats more related to MIUI and not related to Android. Still majority of the MI devices are in lollipop.
In beta channel Mi devices are in Marshmallow(MIUI8) except Mi4i and mi 2(which are in Lolipop), however many Redmi are still in kitkat, except Redmi 2 prime and Redmi note 3!
Old 28th July 2016, 19:40   #24109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
In beta channel Mi devices are in Marshmallow(MIUI8) except Mi4i and mi 2(which are in Lolipop), however many Redmi are still in kitkat, except Redmi 2 prime and Redmi note 3!
My wife's Redmi Note 3 is still in Lollipop and its running MIUI8 developer ROM. Not all device's MIUI 8 are in Marshmallow yet in MI.
Old 28th July 2016, 20:23   #24110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
Quote:
My wife's Redmi Note 3 is still in Lollipop and its running MIUI8 developer ROM. Not all device's MIUI 8 are in Marshmallow yet in MI.
True - I am running MIUI8 developer ROM on my Redmi Note 3 too and it is on Lollipop.

The Mi5 and Mi Max are running marshmallow, but I don't think any other Mi mobile available in India is on Marshmallow.

--Anoop
Old 28th July 2016, 20:29   #24111
BHPian

Quote:
Then why so much hue and cry on Motorola on security patches, atleast all of there phones are running on latest version of Android and hopefully they will continue to do so in future as well. Having latest version of OS itself ensures utmost security.

And those who are so concerned about security shouldn't look at something like MI atleast which has been found guilty of stealing the user data and sending it to Chinese government. I myself have tested it on MI ROM and found that phone was constantly sending data, even SMS to Chinese servers registered on their government name.

Even Lenovo laptops have been found doing so. I have one and have encountered such suspicious app preloaded in the laptop. Ditched all the partition including Lenovo recovery partition and installed fresh Windows and Linux in dual config to overcome the security issue.

Always be careful with the Chinese origin companies, if possible, avoid buying them.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 28th July 2016 at 20:37.
Old 28th July 2016, 22:30   #24112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Then why so much hue and cry on Motorola on security patches, atleast all of there phones are running on latest version of Android and hopefully they will continue to do so in future as well.
And it's not just that. Motorola have their part in security updates as well. They have committed to sending out quarterly security updates instead, bundling changes and patches in a single update.
And I think that's a wise decision. Updating software is a hugely tedious task, given the vast diversity of regions and markets these companies operate in, and they have to ensure that the update firmware themselves are flawless too.

And anyway, it's not as if devices are left exposed if they're updated on a quarterly as opposed to monthly basis.
Old 28th July 2016, 23:44   #24113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
Cyanogen and future proof are like antonyms these days. ...
That's my concern. Will strike off the z1 from list.
Even iam inclined towards moto g4, not the plus variant though since i dont really need the finger scanner.
Is the rear cam significantly better on the g4+ that i should spend extra 1k?
Any site that has cam samples of g4 and g4+?
Old 29th July 2016, 00:04   #24114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
That's my concern. Will strike off the z1 from list.
Even iam inclined towards moto g4, not the plus variant though since i dont really need the finger scanner.
Is the rear cam significantly better on the g4+ that i should spend extra 1k?
Any site that has cam samples of g4 and g4+?
I would suggest you to spend that grand extra. The fingerprint scanner is an excellent feature to have. Even if you don't need it for outright security/privacy, for sheer convenience itself it works brilliantly.
Further, the camera is a considerable upgrade, at least on paper. The resolution has been bumped up, but more importantly they've added that laser autofocus to aid focusing, which is really useful. And when the difference is only a grand, it seems worth the extra cash.
Old 29th July 2016, 00:57   #24115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
I would suggest you to spend that grand extra. The fingerprint scanner is an excellent feature to have. Even if you don't need it for outright security/privacy, for sheer convenience itself it works brilliantly.
+1

@WindRide

Now with fingerprint scanner replacing passwords, it can prove to be even more handy.

I for one had views similar to yours but after using the scanner on redmi, I find myself using it more often than not for unlocking the device. But scanner on backside is definitely more conducive to the work flow than the one at home button.

Last edited by lordvader : 29th July 2016 at 01:00.
Old 29th July 2016, 08:30   #24116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Then why so much hue and cry on Motorola on security patches, atleast all of there phones are running on latest version of Android and hopefully they will continue to do so in future as well. Having latest version of OS itself ensures utmost security.

And those who are so concerned about security shouldn't look at something like MI atleast which has been found guilty of stealing the user data and sending it to Chinese government. I myself have tested it on MI ROM and found that phone was constantly sending data, even SMS to Chinese servers registered on their government name.

Always be careful with the Chinese origin companies, if possible, avoid buying them.
Jesus christ. Do you have a vendetta against them? Even earlier you had created the same fear uncertainty and doubt against them. Please go ahead and publish your findings in a respected internet security forum for peer review and then it is worth believing.

I don't normally respond this way on TBHP but creating such paranoia is not OK unless backed up with peer-reviewed hard data.

I'm reposting the news article which clarifies: http://indianexpress.com/article/tec...-need-to-know/
http://indianexpress.com/article/tec...-other-phones/

Please remember that even indian companies use made in China chipsets and services. Just because the "brand" is Indian doesn't imply anything.

PS: Data Packets are sent to servers, SMSes are sent to mobile numbers.

Last edited by Aditya : 29th July 2016 at 09:53. Reason: As requested
Old 29th July 2016, 10:08   #24117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
+1

@WindRide

Now with fingerprint scanner replacing passwords, it can prove to be even more handy.

I for one had views similar to yours but after using the scanner on redmi, I find myself using it more often than not for unlocking the device. But scanner on backside is definitely more conducive to the work flow than the one at home button.
FP is nice but nothing truly integrated.

The only benefit of the fingerprint scanner is ease of unlocking screen. Unfortunately Android remains like 2-3 years behind iOS because most apps (I am yet to see one in my 100+ set of installed apps) including google play store don't use the fingerprint sensor. This is opposed to iOS where apps like iMobile use it, and it has replaced the App Store password too. Ironic since Android is always cutting edge when it comes to adopting new things.

The home button is far better simply because you often wish to check notifications like messages while working. Now back FP sensor may *seem* ergonomic, but many 5.5" phones (and esp my Redmi Note 3) are fairly heavy. Thus checking notifications is a distinct effort vs on iOS where I simply tap my finger.
Old 29th July 2016, 10:30   #24118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
FP is nice but nothing truly integrated.
The only benefit of the fingerprint scanner is ease of unlocking screen. Unfortunately Android remains like 2-3 years behind iOS because most apps (I am yet to see one in my 100+ set of installed apps) including google play store don't use the fingerprint sensor. This is opposed to iOS where apps like iMobile use it, and it has replaced the App Store password too.
Well, app lockers do seem to have adopted to fingerprints nonetheless!
Now I don't use them, but some of friends who do, couldn't have been happier!
I think the functionality isn't integrated too deep for security reasons. Am no expert in Android coding, so won't say anything further. Only expressed my guess.
Old 29th July 2016, 10:50   #24119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Jesus christ. Do you have a vendetta against them? Even earlier you had created the same fear uncertainty and doubt against them. Please go ahead and publish your findings in a respected internet security forum for peer review and then it is worth believing

Please remember that even indian companies use made in China chipsets and services. Just because the "brand" is Indian doesn't imply anything.

PS: Data Packets are sent to servers, SMSes are sent to mobile numbers.
I would rather say that this is not only the matter of personal data breach, but its also a matter of national security, please you don't play with it just becasue you are a Xiaomi fan which saves few bucks in your pocket while buying it over other established brand devices. And what Indian company? There is no true Indian manufacturer, all of them are importing Chinese phones, re-branding them and selling here.

The link you posted was published on Oct 2014 which you keep posting again and again but the allegation didn't stop even after that. As I said earlier, I myself have tested the suspicious data being sent onto suspicious/blacklisted servers, even SMS which nobody does. Its not same like data being taken by Google, FB etc where data is sent onto their servers when user agrees to it and user can stop it. But in case of Chinese brands, they 'steal' it whatever they want and whenever they want.

Not only MI, even the most popular Lenovo laptops were also found doing the same. I know since I have gone through that experience and couldn't find any way to stop it until Lenovo itself had to release a tool to kill their spyware after they questioned by international community except India.

Release of the spyware killer by Lenovo itself proves they are involved in such activities. Since they have been caught red handed, I finally decided to fully clean up the HDD including hidden and recovery partitions to overcome any left out suspicion. Decided to have no more Lenovo or any Chinese brand laptop/smartphone form now one. You choose to remain ignorant, be like that, I don't have issues but you can't change my opinion which is not baseless.

Sept 2015 : 26 Android Phone Models Shipped with Pre-Installed Spyware

Sept 2015 : Lenovo Caught (3rd Time) Pre-Installing Spyware on its Laptops

Feb 2015 : Worried about Lenovo’s pre-installed spyware? Here’s how to remove Superfish from PCs

Jan 2016 : Vietnamese shun Chinese mobile devices because of security reasons

Allegations have been proven again and again on them, I don't need to add anything extra from my side. Even if these devices are just suspicious, responsible citizens of any country should skip them on the basis of plain suspicion.

Chinese government itself have been on hacking mission all over the world since last few years, especially against US and India:

How the Chinese Government Became the World’s Hacking Superpower

Chinese suspected to be behind hacking of two Indian IT companies

Smartphones and computers coming from their country make it more easier for them, time will tell.

Unfortunately we don't have any provision to scrutinise such spying gadgets in our country so the situation will remain same and security of out country will remain compromised.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 29th July 2016 at 11:13.
Old 29th July 2016, 11:03   #24120
BHPian

Quote:
Never said any of the Redmi variants are in Marshmallow. Xiaomi has two distinct lineup, Redmi and MI. MI series gets updates to higher version(both MIUI and Android(mostly)), but Redmi gets MIUI updates not necessarily Android updates. This is because (my assumptions) Redmi devices have Qualcom's snapdragon as well as MediaTek's processors(which are not mod friendly). Hence Redmi devices are stuck to android version it came with.

There is exception to Mi devices, MI 4i still in Lollipop, is cost is factor here? I also see Mi 4i rarely gets updates as opposed to Mi 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
The Mi5 and Mi Max are running marshmallow, but I don't think any other Mi mobile available in India is on Marshmallow.
--Anoop
Mi 3, Mi 4. I updated my wife's Mi 3 to MIUI 8 beta in Marshmallow.

Last edited by RaguHolla : 29th July 2016 at 11:07.

Most Viewed