Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2016, 20:34   #24196
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
My significant others Oneplus X got wet during a trek on Sunday and is not working. The service centre said that both screen and motherboard need to be replaced and it will cost 17k so that doesnt make sense...
The OnePlus X retails for 15K right? How come the screen & motherboard alone costs more than the phone?

Have you tried the normal shops? They should be able to get this rectified for much less I believe.
Old 4th August 2016, 20:41   #24197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
The OnePlus X retails for 15K right? How come the screen & motherboard alone costs more than the phone?

Have you tried the normal shops? They should be able to get this rectified for much less I believe.
Exactly. Going to try a couple of repair shops first before buying a new phone. Its basically like car scenarios where the engine replacement costs as much as the car.

Currently the oneplusX standard version isnt available as a new handset anymore, only refurbished ones between 12-14k. A new oneplus X is only available in the ceramic edition which at 22.5k isnt worth it
Old 4th August 2016, 21:21   #24198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
S7 users need your help. I am getting a battery backup of only 14 to 15 hours. I have done a factory reset and also changed all the settings advised in many of the forums. Am I missing anything?
What is your usage scenario? I am getting one day with around 5 hours screen time.1 hour voice calls, 100% Wifi or 3G, office mail and gmail in auto sync . It drains around 1% per hour in standby mode. Pretty happy with the performance I would say, almost on par or a little better than my old mi4.
Are you on 4G?

Last edited by poloman : 4th August 2016 at 21:24.
Old 4th August 2016, 21:23   #24199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
What is your usage scenario? I am getting one day with around 5 hours screen time.1 hour voice calls, 100% Wifi or 3G, office mail and gmail in auto sync . It drains around 1% per hour in standby mode.
Are you on 4G?
Yes I am on Jio 4g. Use the phone for regular Facebook, WhatsApp. 4g is always on. I get a screen on time of around 4 hrs
Old 4th August 2016, 22:20   #24200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes I am on Jio 4g. Use the phone for regular Facebook, WhatsApp. 4g is always on. I get a screen on time of around 4 hrs
Non uniform signal strength could be the culprit. You can check with your old 2G/3G SIM in case you have it.
Old 4th August 2016, 22:54   #24201
BHPian

So my Samsung Note 2 seems to be dead all of a sudden and the Samsung service centre straightaway said it will cost 9800 to replace the motherboard , without even opening the phone to check what is broken.

While I plan to drop by again and get a proper evaluation done on Saturday, I doubt it will be a cheap fix going by people's anecdotes of mobile repairs and plan to buy a new one either between 8-10 Aug when the big online retailers have their discount fests, or on 15Aug offers. ( I can wait till 15th as I have a not-so-smart but good-serving Nokia as primary phone).

I'm looking for a new Android phone, budget isn't strictly set but looking at something under 15k with :

Must haves :
1. ~3000mAh battery or bigger
2. 5.0 to 6.0 inch screen , at least 720px (which all phones are now)

Strongly wanted:
1. Removable battery -> yes, rare thing these days
2. Internal memory 32GB or more rather than commonly 16GB
3. 1080p resolution screen
4. 64bit processor
5. 3-4GB RAM rather than 2GB
6. microSD card slot , min 64GB (carry over from my Note 2)

So far on the shortlist :
1. Asus Zenfone 2 Max for its 5000mAh battery
2. Redmi Note 3 32GB
3. Honor 5X (only 16GB model available)
4. Coolpad Note Max
5. Coolpad Note 3 Plus (only 16GB model available)
6. Moto G plus 32GB, 4th gen
7. Asus Zenfone 2 Laser 32GB
8. One+ 3 ( though low priority due to price and no SD card slot)
9. Samsung J8 (removable battery!)

I mainly use the phone for mobile surfing, social media, watching videos on the go and such , so good screen , sound , battery capacity and storage are the chief concerns.

Any other suggestions that I may have missed ?
Old 5th August 2016, 06:15   #24202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Non uniform signal strength could be the culprit. You can check with your old 2G/3G SIM in case you have it.
From what i have seen, the signal for Jio is only 4G and it has signals everywhere. I am using another sim also - vodafone. Both have enough signals. From what i researched in the other forums till now is the latest update is the culprit. I updated it once I bought my S7, shouldn't have done it.
Old 5th August 2016, 07:41   #24203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From what i have seen, the signal for Jio is only 4G and it has signals everywhere. I am using another sim also - vodafone. Both have enough signals. From what i researched in the other forums till now is the latest update is the culprit. I updated it once I bought my S7, shouldn't have done it.
Even I did the same. You can check which application is taking most of the mAh other than screen time.
Old 5th August 2016, 07:56   #24204
BHPian

The Android OS and the Android system are top on my list of usage. No other apps are eating my battery
Old 5th August 2016, 08:05   #24205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
So my Samsung Note 2 seems to be dead all of a sudden and the Samsung service centre straightaway said it will cost 9800 to replace the motherboard , without even opening the phone to check what is broken.

While I plan to drop by again and get a proper evaluation done on Saturday, I doubt it will be a cheap fix going by people's anecdotes of mobile repairs and plan to buy a new one either between 8-10 Aug when the big online retailers have their discount fests, or on 15Aug offers. ( I can wait till 15th as I have a not-so-smart but good-serving Nokia as primary phone).

I'm looking for a new Android phone, budget isn't strictly set but looking at something under 15k with :

If Samsung J8 has all you are looking for, go for it. Given your previous phone was Samsung. Or if you are looking to experiment, add the upcoming Lenovo Vibe K5 Note to your list as well.

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th August 2016 at 17:34. Reason: Shortening quoted post for the benefit of our mobile & small-screen users.
Old 5th August 2016, 13:22   #24206
BHPian

Re: RN3 and Missed calls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I love the RN3 except the fact that it runs Android, its crappy speaker output (easy to miss calls if ringer <100%) and the outright horrible camera.
Even with 100%, am having, many a missed calls on my RN3.

I have vibration selected + 100% volume. I don't know, how on earth am having these many missed calls. Never had this issue with my 'Nexus 4'. This is the major concern on this device.

Are there any workarounds, for this issue?
Old 5th August 2016, 17:47   #24207
Senior - BHPian

Re: RN3 and Missed calls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Even with 100%, am having, many a missed calls on my RN3.

I have vibration selected + 100% volume. I don't know, how on earth am having these many missed calls. Never had this issue with my 'Nexus 4'. This is the major concern on this device.

Are there any workarounds, for this issue?
I agree. Speaker volume is the lowest I have ever heard in a phone. The only workaround I have managed is to always keep the phone face down everywhere so the grill is facing upwards and sound is louder than usual.
As it's a hardware issue I don't see any other resolution coming up.
Old 5th August 2016, 23:21   #24208
Senior - BHPian

The Nexus 4 had a horrible vibration motor. I can never feel it unless it is in my hand or hear it vibrating except on some surfaces. It had a different type of motor. My next phone will most likely be a Oneplus 3 which supposedly has a wear vibration motor but hopefully it will be better than the Nexus 4
Old 6th August 2016, 03:01   #24209
BHPian

I've encountered an app called 'Lenovo Weather' on my K3 Note. Now the funny part is that this app is not visible anywhere except in my data usage menu where I discovered it. Wonder what it does because never seen it in action anywhere anytime. Google shows me weather along with Yahoo Weather that I installed.

I'm curious as to why such a sly app is there at all when it apparently doesn't even interact with you in the first place! You don't even know its there! Or else it indirectly shows you the weather through Google or some such wicked arrangement? Strange.

Maybe the "rooters" have an inkling on this....?
Old 6th August 2016, 09:04   #24210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
I've encountered an app called 'Lenovo Weather' on my K3 Note. Now the funny part is that this app is not visible anywhere except in my data usage menu where I discovered it. Wonder what it does because never seen it in action anywhere anytime. Google shows me weather along with Yahoo Weather that I installed.
Wow, old habits of these Chinese to inject spywares with the name of some legit looking app or service. I have experienced such things with few of the Chinese devices/softwares I had in the past. though I can't surely say if this suspicions weather app activity also can be categorised as new way of Lenovo spyware.

*Running away* from the scene after committing suicidal mistake by talking against the great Chinese. Now at risk of being attacked by some Chinese fanboys who are always ready to counter attack on those who say anything against the Chinese brands.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks