Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2016, 12:16   #24331
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Anybody got Nougat in their nexus? I got a 63MB OTA which is installing now. Judging by the size, it cannot be Nougat.
Old 23rd August 2016, 13:20   #24332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Anybody got Nougat in their nexus? I got a 63MB OTA which is installing now. Judging by the size, it cannot be Nougat.
This should be the security update to take care of the quad root vulnerability ?
Old 23rd August 2016, 13:20   #24333
BHPian

Quote:
Buddy that's just the security update you receive every month.
Expect Nougat to reach you within the first week of September if you own a Nexus device. And it'll be atleast 600+Mb.
Old 23rd August 2016, 21:15   #24334
BHPian

Quote:
Nougat hasn't got great reviews to be honest. You might want to hold off on updating

http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/22/12...t-review-nexus
Old 24th August 2016, 08:05   #24335
BHPian

I was on the Beta Version of 7.0 and got a similar sized update. I love Android N for improved notifications.
Old 24th August 2016, 10:09   #24336
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
You ca------SNIP-----p by Sony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Hi M------SNIP ------y're annoying.
Finally got rid of MIUI, and flashed an XOSP rom. Things are much better, even with just 10 hours of usage. Only thing I am unable to find is Stamina mode now, but 2xBattery suffices.
Thanks Landcruiser. That 15 second tool was really helpful in flashing TWRP.
Old 24th August 2016, 10:34   #24337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
Nougat hasn't got great reviews to be honest. You might want to hold off on updating

Sorry,
But what part of that review said Nougat isn't nice or a worthy OS upgrade?
Or is throwing up some major bugs or performance issues?
Old 24th August 2016, 10:50   #24338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
Sorry,
True. And I find all the new features exciting to say the least.
Bugs will be there as with any major release of an OS. But, with Google, even that will be minimal.
Old 24th August 2016, 11:30   #24339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
Sorry,

This bit:
"Weirdly, my biggest gripe about Nougat is related to the thing you'd expect Android to be stupendously good at: Google search. It's kind of a mess. Google Now doesn't really seem to be getting any better at figuring out what information will be useful to me. Google Now On Tap is still pretty frustrating: it's supposed to figure out what's on the screen and return relevant results, but usually returns no results or, at best, not very good ones.

But even setting that aside, the Google search app itself just seems lost and disconnected from the rest of the operating system. When you search, it puts the results into its own custom browser window that feels custom-designed for one-off searches instead of persistent research. When you Google, how often are you opening results in tabs? I do it all the time, but it's a huge hassle on Nougat."
Old 24th August 2016, 13:31   #24340
BHPian

On another note :

Did anyone explore Reliance Jio.

It appears that on Android phones atleast, if you want to make any call, the voice call needs to be dialled through the app. This is something new. Have a feeling that the voice is converted to data packets and then reconverted back on the terminal end.

On Iphone 5S, when the tower settings are accepted, mobile hotspot options disappear.

Did anyone observe the same ?
Old 24th August 2016, 14:16   #24341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
On another note :

Did anyone explore Reliance Jio.

It appears that on Android phones atleast, if you want to make any call, the voice call needs to be dialled through the app. This is something new. Have a feeling that the voice is converted to data packets and then reconverted back on the terminal end.

On Iphone 5S, when the tower settings are accepted, mobile hotspot options disappear.

Did anyone observe the same ?
I was having a discussion with one the Reliance Jio representatives who was at our office campus and what I understand is that they offer voice as VOLTE (Voice over LTE) which basically mean that voice service gets delivered via the data packets and does not depended on the voice network components.

..SD
Old 24th August 2016, 14:28   #24342
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But even setting that aside, the Google search app itself just seems lost and disconnected from the rest of the operating system. ...
Google, up to this point, to me, seems far too connected with the rest of the operating system. It is one reason that I do not use the stock launcher on my X-Play: of course Google doesn't give us the option to get rid of their ugly search bar on every home screen!

Well, Android is not altruism: Google's first interest is its business, so it is understandable. But I hate the thought that, one day, Google will be fully integrated into everything!
Old 24th August 2016, 23:02   #24343
BHPian

Quote:
This bit:
"Weirdly, my biggest gripe about Nougat is related to the thing you'd expect Android to be stupendously good at: Google search. It's kind of a mess. Google Now doesn't really seem to be getting any better at figuring out what information will be useful to me. Google Now On Tap is still pretty frustrating: it's supposed to figure out what's on the screen and return relevant results, but usually returns no results or, at best, not very good ones.

But even setting that aside, the Google search app itself just seems lost and disconnected from the rest of the operating system. When you search, it puts the results into its own custom browser window that feels custom-designed for one-off searches instead of persistent research. When you Google, how often are you opening results in tabs? I do it all the time, but it's a huge hassle on Nougat."
Ok.

So this bit made you say 'Nougat hasn't got great reviews and hence hold off from upgrade'?

IMHO that was a misleading statement.. I actually visited the link to find some major flaws - but the review was actually quite positive about Nougat...
Sorry but I completely missed your point.
Old 24th August 2016, 23:08   #24344
BHPian

Quote:

Well, The Verge are known to be really aggressively iBiased, so them saying things about anything good coming out from the Google stable (unless it's a new iOS app, of course) isn't surprising at all. They're called 'iVerge' in fact inside the online fan community, for the same reason.
GSMArena, Droid Life, Android Authority and AnandTech offer far better and fairer reviews.
Old 24th August 2016, 23:41   #24345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
Well, The Verge are known to be really aggressively iBiased, so them saying things about anything good coming out from the Google stable (unless it's a new iOS app, of course) isn't surprising at all. They're called 'iVerge' in fact inside the online fan community, for the same reason.
GSMArena, Droid Life, Android Authority and AnandTech offer far better and fairer reviews.
Did you happen to skip the review? It does come across as a bit harsh on Android in a couple of places (esp the start / end is unnecessarily rehashed bile about delayed updates) but overall its well written, even if it is meandering and not nicely summarized.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks