Old 25th August 2016, 22:07   #24361
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
No xiaomi products.
No Snapdragon 810 processors
Why NOT Xiaomi? What's wrong?
Their products sell like hotcakes in flash sales.
Old 25th August 2016, 22:17   #24362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I have most of their powerbanks and they are brilliant.

Some of my friends have the xiaomi phones and I have played with them a lot. Their design and hardware may be good, but I am not a fan of the MIUI. It is a personal choice, some people like it, I dont. I also don't want to go flashing some custom roms on a new phone.
Old 25th August 2016, 22:45   #24363
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I have no idea about their phones but my sister has a Mi Pad. I recommended it to her because it had 2GB RAM whereas most other tablets had 1 GB RAM. I didn't know that MIUI will eat more than 1 GB of the 2 GB RAM. It ended up being slower than 1 GB Tablets. I had to tweak a lot of settings, turn of lot of eye candy to make more or less same as a 1 GB tablet. Plus, the screen is not sensitive enough.
Old 25th August 2016, 23:32   #24364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow
My dad's Redmi Note 4G has been having problems where it freezes, sometime just when a call is received, which is obviously very annoying. Also battery life is very poor. I will try a factory reset over the weekend and see if that helps.
My wife's Redmi 1S had this problem of Battery getting discharged by afternoon even without using the phone (phone kept idle). She had installed a lot of apps (Kids' apps-alphabets, rhymes, etc.). I took backup over mi account and factory reset the phone. And the phone is back to normal. Touchwood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru
Off late, even I am disliking Xiaomi phones due to their "Hybrid" Slots for SIM and MicroSD card.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 25th August 2016 at 23:41.
Old 25th August 2016, 23:57   #24365
BHPian

Hey all, continuing on the Xiaomi topic.
Xiaomi launched the Redmi Note 4 in China today. 3GB RAM, 64GB ROM, and Mediatek Helio X20 processor. I was pondering over the purchase of a redmi Note 3, but this has now got me interested.
Anyone has any idea on how much time it might take them to launch it in India?
Apparently, they are in a legal battle with Ericsson on the usage of Mediatek processors. So, can't use these processors in India.
Old 26th August 2016, 01:09   #24366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I have no idea about their phones but my sister has a Mi Pad. I recommended it to her because it had 2GB RAM whereas most other tablets had 1 GB RAM. I didn't know that MIUI will eat more than 1 GB of the 2 GB RAM. It ended up being slower than 1 GB Tablets. I had to tweak a lot of settings, turn of lot of eye candy to make more or less same as a 1 GB tablet. Plus, the screen is not sensitive enough.
I have been using a Mipad for the past couple of months or so and I agree about the RAM part. It can't handle more than 3 heavy apps at a go and free RAM is always less than 1GB.
However the touch screen response has been satisfactory so far and I have no complaints in that department.
Battery easily lasts for a day even with heavy usage and the processor is also quite good. Gaming has been a bliss! Though heavy graphics games eat up the battery quite fast but it's acceptable IMO.

Are you using a tampered glass? If yes, of what thickness? Your issue might be because of that.
Old 26th August 2016, 08:56   #24367
BHPian

Quote:
Are there any phone recommendations to upgrade from oneplus one? I am bored of this phone. custom roms are done and dealt with.

My requirements are :
No xiaomi products.
No Snapdragon 810 processors

and i would definitely want the following;
1. SD card slot
2. FM Radio
3. Finger print scanner

water and dust resistance would make it sweeter.
In the same boat.. Almost the same requirements but finger print scanner being the no 1 requirement. Came across this article while doing some research.. http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-...d-today-645440 .. It's actually top 10 and not 20 as the URL says.

I am on oneplus one since Jan 2015. Not sold on one plus three yet though it looks tempting. Not been on a flagship for a long time.. Galaxy note 1(2011/12) and iPhone 5 (2013/14). So that's something I am considering just to see how the flagships have improved.. I switched to cm nightlies for sometime on this phone and now on resurrection ROM. Do you suggest anything else that I can try before moving on ?
Old 26th August 2016, 09:03   #24368
BHPian

How's One Plus 3 on long term? Some phones have amazing specs on paper but start lagging after a while. Planning to buy it very soon. Any inputs from users will be welcome.

Also, since I'll be upgrading to 1+, i want to root my Moto G first generation. Any links? Video link would be preferred.

Thanks!
Old 26th August 2016, 10:28   #24369
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Are you using a tampered glass? If yes, of what thickness? Your issue might be because of that.
No tempered glass. Not even a sticker.
Old 26th August 2016, 11:24   #24370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
In the same boat.
Yes, I have also been using Oneplus One since Jan 2015. Xperia Z5 is out because of the snapdragon 810. I am looking at the s7 (non edge) after the recent price cuts. I have not used a samsung phone since the original galaxy s. I would also want the phone to last about 18 months or longer. It is the lack of sensors (finger print) and space (64GB fixed)in the oneplus that is making me think about an upgrade. I would be selling the oneplus one to get back some cash. So I will have to buy it from a brick and mortar store.

I have been using sultanxda's rom for the oneplus one satisfactorily. It works nice with xposed.
Old 27th August 2016, 12:10   #24371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
I switched to cm nightlies for sometime on this phone and now on resurrection ROM. Do you suggest anything else that I can try before moving on ?
I have heard great reviews about sultan's rom as suggested above. It is based on CM and is said to be very stable and optimized for great battery life. Worth a try since it is widely considered as the best custom ROM for OnePlus One.
Old 27th August 2016, 21:48   #24372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
Hey all, continuing on the Xiaomi topic.
Xiaomi launched the Redmi Note 4 in China today. 3GB RAM, 64GB ROM, and Mediatek Helio X20 processor. I was pondering over the purchase of a redmi Note 3, but this has now got me interested.
My suggestion - do not go for Xiaomi. I have the MI note 3,and it works great, has awesome battery back up and all. The one thing they sorely miss is the OS upgrade.

We receive frequent MIUI updates but none for OS. We are still on lollipop 5.1 whereas Google just launched the version 7 - Nougat.

Also have a redmi 2 prime but even that is still on the vintage 4.4 kit kat.

Quote:
I would be selling the oneplus one to get back some cash. So I will have to buy it from a brick and mortar store.
You can try using cashify.com. They give you the estimate of how much your phone will fetch online once you key in the details about the phone they ask. If you like their price, just place the order to sell, their guy will come home, pay cash and collect the phone. Then you are free to surf and buy online.
Their offers are slightly more than the exchange values that one sees of the same model on sites like flipkart. My old Huawei honor holly was fetching 1500 on flipkart under exchange but cashify was quoting 1900 for it. A good 25% more.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 27th August 2016 at 21:55.
Old 27th August 2016, 22:57   #24373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
You can try using cashify.com..

Thanks. I think cashify.in uses the same backend as reglobe.in as the prices are the same. They sadly do not have the service at my work or home address.

galaxy s7 in silver is now sold out on flipkart. I think this is great phone at just the correct size.
Old 28th August 2016, 19:03   #24374
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I think cashify.in uses the same backend as reglobe.in as the prices are the same. They sadly do not have the service at my work or home address.

galaxy s7 in silver is now sold out on flipkart. I think this is great phone at just the correct size.
Reglobe has been renamed Cashify. I recently used them to sell my old Moto G 2nd Gen (as I bought the Redmi 3S Prime).

They were pretty prompt, the guy checked the phone, entered the IMEI number, scanned my photo ID and gave me the cash. I got 3.5k for the phone, which I think is excellent.

I bought the Redmi as I wanted a cheap phone to use my Jio sim on as with two Sims, I was getting horrible battery life on my S7, and I couldn't use a memory card.

The Redmi arrived in two days after the flash sale. The first impressions are that it's got excellent battery life, it's decently quick (on paper) and its got a horrible camera..

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1472391155195.jpg

The UI is pretty terribly laggy so hoping for the miui 8 upgrade soon. Another big con is that the back is super slippery. After two drops, I've got a cheap case for it.

Overall, not a very happy user. Sure it costs 9k, so I shouldn't benchmark it against my S7, but just listing the pros and cons.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1472391208700.jpg
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1472391187609.jpg

All in all, I should have bought the moto g4 plus instead but since it's a standby/backup handset, I will hang onto it.
Old 28th August 2016, 20:23   #24375
Senior - BHPian

Friends

Need some suggestion on my next phone.

I currently own a Nexus 4 which is with me for last 4+ years. Currently it runs on cyanogenmod 13 (Marshmallow).

I dont have any issues with the phone except for the battery life; Got the battery replaced at LG authorized service center, but the new one is performing even worser than the 4 year old one. Its still fast, all apps open without any lag. Peak RAM usage is mostly 50% range.

My usage pattern is minimal to moderate - typical apps like whatsapp, chrome, google apps etc. No video, social media and games on phone. Average of 1 hour screentime per day. Prefer to use chrome than dedicated apps.
The second reason to upgrade is that my employer is pushing for soft secure tokens on the phone and an unrooted phone is must.

What I need from next phone

Must

1. 5 or 5.5 inch
2. 3500mah battery or above ( roughly 36 hours of battery backup with my usage)
3. dual sim + SD card slot (no hybrid slot)
4. Budget of 9-12k.
5. Marshmallow or higher

Prefer
1. Availability of OS upgrades and close to stock Android. If not availability in CyanogenMod.
2. decent Camera
3. decent hardware which support future android versions
4. Elegant design than flashy one (subjective, for eg not a fan of Motorola design)
5. Availability of hard cases.

Appreciate if you can suggest the models which are closer to my requirement. I am not in a hurry to buy, plan to get one in next 1-3 months time.

Last edited by arjithin : 28th August 2016 at 20:24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks